Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I just shopped at Sobeys in Ajax, spent $120 and they told me that the Marvel promotion doesn't start until tomorrow so I guess I will have to either chat with Airmiles or go back to Sobey's tomorrow and ask for my marvel characters. I didn't have time to wait in line at customer service and show them the Air Miles web site. :mad:

I have a question that I cannot seem to find the answer online....I saw on the Air Miles FB group that someone bought a $150 Foodland gift card with their AMEX...they then bought another $150 Foodland gift card with the recently purchased $150 Foodland gift card and repeated the process 4 times (as was allowed) and at the end had spent $150 charged to AMEX (for the soar into more) and had one $150 Foodland gift card...and received 1150 AM - 5X150 + 400 AMEX.

I thought I saw posted that you could not buy a gift card with a gift card but I read the back of the holder for my Foodland gift card and it says "Card can be used for all in-store purchases except as prohibited by law." So I tried to search online to see what would be prohibited by law and I cannot find anything. Has anyone challenged a store to explain why they cannot buy a gift card with a gift card? I mean you have already paid the money for the gift card so why should it matter what you use it on?

I have a question that I cannot seem to find the answer online....I saw on the Air Miles FB group that someone bought a $150 Foodland gift card with their AMEX...they then bought another $150 Foodland gift card with the recently purchased $150 Foodland gift card and repeated the process 4 times (as was allowed) and at the end had spent $150 charged to AMEX (for the soar into more) and had one $150 Foodland gift card...and received 1150 AM - 5X150 + 400 AMEX.

I thought I saw posted that you could not buy a gift card with a gift card but I read the back of the holder for my Foodland gift card and it says "Card can be used for all in-store purchases except as prohibited by law." So I tried to search online to see what would be prohibited by law and I cannot find anything. Has anyone challenged a store to explain why they cannot buy a gift card with a gift card? I mean you have already paid the money for the gift card so why should it matter what you use it on?

I think that the occasional cashier at the occasional store will allow a GC purchase with a GC, but it's really rare. It happened a few times when the first buy $100GC, get 150AM was out at Sobey's last year, but I think they've all cracked down on it now. Most stores just don't allow you to buy a GC with another GC.

|It is not against the law.
There was a lot of us here that did just that did just this when Sobeys first came out with it couple of years back. Some loccations caught on quick, there were others that it took some time.
Some of us were able to rack up 5000AM while only spending $150.|Just saying I heard, :rolleyes1:rolleyes1
If you find a location, get your 5 first before announcing, so you can get yours. Cant see too many around now.

I think that the occasional cashier at the occasional store will allow a GC purchase with a GC, but it's really rare. It happened a few times when the first buy $100GC, get 150AM was out at Sobey's last year, but I think they've all cracked down on it now. Most stores just don't allow you to buy a GC with another GC.

Thanks

I did finally find this information on the Foodland website - which re-directed to the Sobey's site...

Corporate Gift Cards (“Cards”) have no value until activated. Cards are valid at participating stores in Canada. Cards can be used for all in-store purchases except another Corporate Gift Card (grocery, fuel or liquor) or as prohibited by law. Cards have no expiry and no fees will apply. Check your Card balance in store, or by calling 1-800- 832-0717. Reload at participating stores. Protect your Card like cash. The value remaining on the Card cannot be replaced if the Card is lost, stolen, damaged or used without your consent. Card is not redeemable for cash except where required by law.

Cards are not activated until payment is received. Online activation, balance inquiry and reload are not available. Minimum amount which can be loaded for both activation and reload is $5. Corporate Grocery Gift Cards cannot be used to buy liquor or fuel in the western provinces. Relief Vouchers, Vendor Coupons and Store Coupons cannot be used as tender to buy Corporate Gift Cards.

Cards can be redeemed at Sobeys, IGA, Garden Market IGA, Foodland, Safeway, FreshCo, Chalo! FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, Lawtons Drugs, Needs, Fast Fuel and Price Chopper (ON) locations across Canada*

*Sobeys gift cards are accepted only in these IGA locations in B.C (1) 4823 – 50 Avenue , Fort Nelson, BC V0C 1R0 (2) 5001 – 50 Avenue, Chetwynd, BC V0C 1J0 (3) 624-9 Avenue North, Golden, BC VOA 1HO

So it looks like you might be able to buy another gift card as long as it isn't a grocery, fuel or liquor....I was hoping to use my card for my groceries and if there was any left over use it for a Kobo gift card....I might have to see if it will work tomorrow when we head to Foodland...

|It is not against the law.
There was a lot of us here that did just that did just this when Sobeys first came out with it couple of years back. Some loccations caught on quick, there were others that it took some time.
Some of us were able to rack up 5000AM while only spending $150.|Just saying I heard, :rolleyes1:rolleyes1
If you find a location, get your 5 first before announcing, so you can get yours. Cant see too many around now.

thanks...I did find some information on the Foodland/Sobey's site....which I posted above...it seems that there are some restrictions...

I just shopped at Sobeys in Ajax, spent $120 and they told me that the Marvel promotion doesn't start until tomorrow so I guess I will have to either chat with Airmiles or go back to Sobey's tomorrow and ask for my marvel characters. I didn't have time to wait in line at customer service and show them the Air Miles web site. :mad:

Darn it. I just came back from Sobeys and realized I never got one either when I read your message. I'm on hold with them now. She came back and insisted it starts tomorrow.

I have to go back to Sobeys tomorrow anyways, so I'm bringing my receipt plus I took photos of airmiles website showing that it starts today! I'm going to insist the Manager give me one for today's purchase.

Irene (Air Miles chat) says YES, it starts today and all stores should be handing them out. I'm printing out my chat and bringing that in along witha screen shot of AM's website showing today's date.

Last edited:
So frustrated!
I went to Rexall, had loaded my Load and Go and had the coupon, but the Load and Go did not show up! Tried the chat and they wont add the miles, I have to wait the 120 days
I did do the quiz and they tried to say I had to wait for that and I said, no way!
So frustrated.

Curious for anyone who did the Foodland $150 GC get 150AM... did you also get base miles for that $150 spent? Wondering if I will get base miles for that, or if only on the spending of the gc. And then also if it will apply towards my "Spend $100 get 30AM" from the Sobeys MyOffers.

Hope someone can report back tomorrow.

I spend between $80-110 at Sobeys every week so it'd be nice to get the gift card anyhow. Just going to buy one though... don't need more than one right away. :)

Curious for anyone who did the Foodland $150 GC get 150AM... did you also get base miles for that $150 spent? Wondering if I will get base miles for that, or if only on the spending of the gc. And then also if it will apply towards my "Spend $100 get 30AM" from the Sobeys MyOffers.

I ended up purchasing 5 from Foodland. Two the first time, and three another day. Only on 1 of the purchases did I get a base mile. 1 base mile. I believe it was only because the Cashier had to manually add my 150 air miles for that purchase. The system wouldn't recognize/allow the air miles on the second gift card at that time.

There's an Air Miles FB page? I'd love a link if you don't mind.

I spend between $80-110 at Sobeys every week so it'd be nice to get the gift card anyhow. Just going to buy one though... don't need more than one right away. :)
No, i don't think so. Here's the fine print from the offer

Valid at participating Sobeys, Foodland locations in Ontario. Offer must be loaded before time of purchase to the AIR MILES Card swiped in the transaction. Offer expires after a single use unless otherwise stated and cannot be used in combination with any other spend offers in a single transaction. Minimum spend must be spent in a single transaction and does not include tobacco, lottery, gift cards, prescriptions, applicable tax and/or enviro fees, deposits or charges and other goods and services which are non discountable or excluded by law. ®™ Trademarks of AIR MILES International Trading B.V. Used under license by LoyaltyOne, Co. and Sobeys Capital Inc.

Same here. I got two from Rexall today, went to Sobey's and they said they aren't giving them out until tomorrow. I asked for them to honour it on the receipt I'd pick it up next time in since the promo started today and they said Sobey's isn't part of it until tomorrow and today's purchase doesn't count.

GCs do not count toward minimum spend amounts, if they did I'd be buying gcs every week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter