AKV Jambo 1 BR and the fantastic Disney Waterparks! (update 8/1) Complete

Loving your trip report. I hope to someday take a trip with just my Mom. Not sure how I'm going to convince my husband of that, but I think it would be lots of fun.

Sent from my phone using DISBoards Ap, please excuse any typos and autocorrect mistakes.

The animal photos that you got are amazing. I love the donkeys. I read about them two or three weeks ago.

Corinna

Thanks! I took tons of pictures so am only trying to post the better ones. I thought for a while they were baby zebras because of the stripes, but mom thinks zebras are born with full stripes. They were quite amusing, and would play with each other all the time. Very fun to watch :)

Loving your trip report. I hope to someday take a trip with just my Mom. Not sure how I'm going to convince my husband of that, but I think it would be lots of fun.

Sent from my phone using DISBoards Ap, please excuse any typos and autocorrect mistakes.

Welcome and thank you! Definitely do a mother/daughter trip if you can. To have those memories is priceless. :)

I'm all caught up.

Isn't BB fun? Looks like you had a great day even with the rain. I also took a pic by those cute little carrot nosed snow kids. :rotfl: Even the water parks don't miss a beat.

Love the new little hippo, so cute. I enjoy the fun little trinkets to remember each trip by.

The donkeys are adorable. I hadn't read about them before your report.

Your villa is awesome! :thumbsup2

I'm all caught up.

Isn't BB fun? Looks like you had a great day even with the rain. I also took a pic by those cute little carrot nosed snow kids. :rotfl: Even the water parks don't miss a beat.

We quickly fell in love with the waterparks, they're so much fun! It's such a different feel from the main parks. Everyone was in a good mood having fun together. It was refreshing not to have anyone complaining around us.

Love the new little hippo, so cute. I enjoy the fun little trinkets to remember each trip by.

Thanks, I think they're so cute. I have a blue hippo and a blue rhino so was looking for another blue one, but this was too cute to pass up.

The donkeys are adorable. I hadn't read about them before your report.

I hadn't read about them before seeing them, it was fun seeing new animals.

Your villa is awesome! :thumbsup2

I know! That's exactly what I was worried about :laughing: how hard is it going to be going back to a studio...

I left off with us exploring the room after a very fun afternoon at Blizzard Beach. We chatted about what to do with our evening and decided to head to MK since it was open until midnight. We got ourselves cleaned up and checked out the animals again before heading out. Look at all these beautiful animals, how could anybody complain about this view!?

We managed to drag ourselves away from the balcony and made it to MK shortly after 9:00. The Main Street Electrical Parade was in full swing when we got there so had to wade through the crowds. We made our way straight back to the new Ariel ride where it was a walk on. It looks beautiful at night. This is the only picture that came out. I still have a lot to learn about night shots.

And this is the only ride picture that semi turned out. Please give me some pointers anybody.

I enjoyed this ride much more than the first time I rode it in December. I thought it was much too short, which I still do, but this time I was able to enjoy all the fabulous details.

We contemplated what to do next, it was between Pirates and Dumbo. Since Dumbo was much closer thats what we did. It was also a walk on which was perfect. This is another one thats gorgeous at night. Mom and I both love the water features they did with the new ride.

We started to head into the Big Top when the fireworks started. We had inadvertently happened upon a magnificent fireworks viewing area. There were fireworks going up right above our heads, it was very magical. We werent able to see the show on the castle, but if youre willing to miss that it was a perfect place to watch the fireworks.

After the show we went in to check out what the Big Top had to offer. There were some cute items and some yummy treats but we left empty handed. Mom wasnt that hungry so let me choose where we went to dinner. I picked Cosmic Rays, I had seen Sonny Eclipse in the window and wanted to check him out. We had been there before but had completely missed Sonny. This time we sat in his room and enjoyed his show. Both of us thought he was too cute.

We split the veggie sandwich and some fries. It's a huge sandwich.

After a delicious and filling dinner we headed out of the park. I love having APs, theres no pressure to see and do everything. As we were leaving the second parade was just starting. We watched for a few minutes and then headed out.

Mom wanted to watch until Cindarella which was the next float, and then we headed out. We didnt have long to wait for a bus but there was only standing room. It was just as well because mom always falls asleep on the bus when its late, this time I didnt have to wake her up. We were back in the room shortly after midnight and went right to sleep. It was a perfect first day of vacation :)

That veggie sandwich looks delicious. The problem with night time photography is that you really need a tripod. Otherwise the slower shutter speeds amplify camera shake and are causing blurry pictures. I love your photos from the Main Street Electrical Parade. I have seen this many years ago at Disney's California Adventure and really would like to see it again.

Corinna

That veggie sandwich looks delicious.

It was, and very fresh too. I'm sure we'll be back for another one some day.

The problem with night time photography is that you really need a tripod. Otherwise the slower shutter speeds amplify camera shake and are causing blurry pictures.

Ahhh, thank you. I may have to invest in a tripod, I've been having such a hard time getting night shots of resorts which I've been dying to get.

I love your photos from the Main Street Electrical Parade. I have seen this many years ago at Disney's California Adventure and really would like to see it again.

Corinna.

Thank you :) they're definitely not the best but I was surprised some turned out at all. That is the one parade I really enjoy, we were just too tired to stay any longer.

Sounds like my kind of day! :thumbsup2 Water park and MK. :cloud9: The MSEP is my favorite. Mind if I borrow one of your pics for my FB cover photo? :goodvibes

The veggie sandwich looks really good. I didn't know they had veggie options at Cosmic Rays.

Sounds like my kind of day! :thumbsup2 Water park and MK. :cloud9:

It was a perfect day. We did exactly what we wanted and didn't rush, it was so nice :)

The MSEP is my favorite. Mind if I borrow one of your pics for my FB cover photo? :goodvibes

You're more than welcome to, no need to ask :) I love that parade.

The veggie sandwich looks really good. I didn't know they had veggie options at Cosmic Rays.

I was too. We stopped in there last year thinking we had the perfect firework viewing area and I was hungry so went to check out their options. Unfortunately there was no view at all because of the overhang above the deck area, but we did discover that delicious sandwich.

It has lettuce, tomato, zucchini, squash, onions, and peppers with balsamic dressing. We leave off the onions and peppers though.

Day 2:

After having quite a late night, well late for us, at MK the previous evening I slept in until 9:30. Mom had been up for a few hours. She had made coffee, watched the animals, and read her book until I woke up. This was one of her biggest enjoyments of the 1BR. She was able to get up early and enjoy the morning without bothering me. It never does bother me, but she doesnt like to wake me up early on vacation. Shes pretty good to me.

The plan was to head to Typhoon Lagoon but we didnt rush out. Thanks to Alison I had the idea to take frozen fruit with me and my Ninja smoothie maker so I could make us smoothies for breakfast. It was a fantastic idea and one that I will do again. On vacation its hard for me to eat fruit; I just get distracted by all the bad things that are available. This way I saved us money and got our vitamins in at the same time. So I made us both a mango and strawberry smoothie for breakfast and we watched the animals a little bit more.

I wrote in the journal while mom got ready, and we left the room around noon. The Typhoon Lagoon bus was coupled with the DTD busy and most everybody got off except for a man with his daughters. Mom started having a nice enough conversation with him, but it quickly turned into us HAVING to watch a 3 ½ hour documentary on the fiscal decline of the U.S. and conspiracy theories. No one wants to start off the day with conspiracy theories! We tried to stay on the bus long enough to let them get far away, but the man sent one of his daughters back to ask which ride they should do first. Oh my. We managed to separate ways and went off to explore Typhoon Lagoon. At some point in the day we discovered it was their 24th Anniversary. Well we had been there 24 years ago; neither of us remembered that it was the first year they had opened. Too long of a wait in between visits.

We immediately fell in love with all the tropical foliage.

We found a locker first thing, but I did not repeat yesterdays mistake of leaving the camera behind. We pretty much made a big circle of the park taking pictures along the way.

Cute little beach hut. Have I told you have much I love all the details Disney puts into everything!

We watched the huge waves for a while. I missed getting a picture of a wave, but it looked like so much fun. I can distinctly remember a lot of our first visit and one of them was in this awesome wave pool. I was only 6 but had so much fun with the waves.

This is the snorkeling area, which we didn't do because we thought there was a fee. Well looking into it right now the WDW website says it is included in your park admission.

And with that we went back to the locker, dropped off the camera and went to do some rides. I'm sorry there are so few pictures of the rides, not sure why I blanked on that area. I must have been so enthralled by the atmosphere. We first went to the Crush n Gusher where we met a very animated young man with his mom. He told us to follow him and he'd show us the ropes. This ride has three different slides you can go on. He was great fun to chat with. You have to climb up stairs with your tube which gave us a bit of a work out. And it was a fantastic ride, like a rollercoaster with water. Up, down, around, around again, just fantastic! And of course I got dunked in the water at the bottom. Then we did a lap of the lazy river and just enjoyed chatting and being relaxed. Oh how sweet life is when all you're doing is enjoying a lazy river.

After a full lap around we got out to get some lunch. We decided to go simple and just get some nachos and a pretzel to share. I had seen people with mugs and was a little averse to them at first because they were $10, but when I went back up to get a drink, and it was nearly $3 for a single beverage I figured we'd pay for a mug with 4 drinks so just bought one. And I'm glad I did. We would surely have gotten dehydrated if I hadn't. Next time we'll probably just freeze water and soda the night before and bring it with us to be cold throughout the day, but since we hadn't planned appropriately I'm glad I got the mug. After our salty things we were ready for something sweet and headed to the ice cream place. All yesterday and today we had been seeing people with little buckets of ice cream called a sand pail.

Sand Pail: Chocolate and Vanilla Soft-serve Ice Cream, Waffle Cone Pieces, Cookie Pieces, Sprinkles, Hot Fudge, Caramel Sauce, Strawberry Sauce, Whipped Cream and a Cherry

It was $10 which was a bit extreme but I wanted to try it so bad! Something about that much ice cream and yumminess in one container was calling to me. Mom agreed to split it with me, because if we got two separate items it would be almost $10 anyway. When we got to the counter and saw them making one we changed our minds. We would have to eat this on an empty stomach, it's HUGE! They pack down the ice cream at each layer, topping after topping after topping and more ice cream packed in! And then I didn't have the camera with me. When we have one of those babies it will have to be documented. So mom ended up with a beloved Mickey bar and I had a fudge sundae with swirled ice cream. The ice cream was so good, so creamy and delicious not to mention the sundae part. YUMMY!

With our tummies full we decided to sit in the sun in front of the wave pool for a little bit. Well it was too hot to just sit around so in the wave pool we went. Just as fun as it looks. Mom was afraid she'd lose her glasses so stayed out of the waves' path. I enjoyed the water for a little bit but it wasn't as fun because mom wasn't joining in. We decided to go back on the lazy river and did two laps around this time. Who would you believe we bumped into halfway through the second lap? Yes, conspiracy man. We chatted for a little bit and hightailed it out of there when we got to our exit.

I think at this point it was nearing 5:00 and people were starting to leave the park. Well we still had an hour left so went to do the Crush n Gusher again. We did the other two slides and they were awesome! There was nobody waiting in line for tubes this time so we could just go back up without waiting in line for a tube. They had photographers at the bottom of the slides, I haven't looked at our photos yet, I'm a little scared.

After our fun rides we decided to grab our mug, get one last refill and start to head out. One station was depleted of soda so we had to find another one. We were in no rush to leave, it was nice to enjoy the last part of the day. I think at 5:45 they made an announcement that everyone needed to start heading out so we went to get our stuff and meandered our way along. Our plan was to go to DTD to EoS and Ghirardelli since we were so close and with marvelous luck got right onto a bus and were there within minutes.

We passed this living statue, can't imagine how hot she was

And stopped in to get our delicious cookies. Mom prefers the toffee and I prefer the chocolate chip. If you've never had these you must! Aside from homemade from your own kitchen these might be the best cookies we've ever had. Order them warm, you won't regret it. We have yet to try the white chocolate macadamia nut one, that is still on the list.

On the way to EoS we stopped into TrenD, one of our favorite stores in DTD. I had never noticed this painting before, we both love the Incredibles.

We both left with a purchase and I remembered to ask about DVC or AP discounts which were applicable, saved $10.

When we finally made it to EoS it was PACKED! Neither of us were hungry, we had been planning to buy sandwiches for dinner later. We both decided we could find something else to eat, the line was too much.

We had been contemplating heading to HS that night, but on the way to the bus stop we both decided we'd rather have a relaxing evening at the resort. We did something new, we walked to the Pleasure Island bus stops instead of using the Marketplace ones. It was a great idea, a bus was just pulling up to the stop and we burned a few extra calories walking. Whenever we use the Marketplace stop it seems forever to get a bus and then the ride over to Pleasure Island is so long I feel like we could have made it to the resort and back. We had a great chat with a lady from Scotland on the way back to the resort. She loves to come over to the U.S. and shop, with the currency exchange she can get a lot of stuff for a lot less than at home. She was a delight to chat with, also a DVC member. We slowly made it back to the room and decided what to do next.

Sounds like you had another wonderful day. We really need to go back there. I have learned to snorkel since we last went and really want to go snorkeling there and also would love to try Slush and Gusher.

What a shame that Earl of Sandwich was too busy.

Corinna

Sounds like you had another wonderful day. We really need to go back there. I have learned to snorkel since we last went and really want to go snorkeling there and also would love to try Slush and Gusher.

What a shame that Earl of Sandwich was too busy.

Corinna

It was a pretty perfect day. I kept thinking what a different experience it was from the other parks. We just had so much fun. Not that we don't have fun in the parks but at the Waterparks everyone was in a good mood and enjoying their families. It almost felt like a cruise environment. We'll definitely be back that's for sure.

It's amazing how busy EoS gets. I'll definitely be going to the one in CA, I missed my sandwich!

You make me laugh. What's a Disney trip without a TR??!! :laughing: As I'm catching up on your other report, I run across this link and of course I had to check it out. Haven't even read the first page....because I'm still on the other one. Good thing hubby and DS are out of town tonight....I won't feel guilty about sitting in the recliner with the laptop:surfweb:

Ok...so I'm here now....back to reading;)
Heather

You make me laugh. What's a Disney trip without a TR??!! :laughing: As I'm catching up on your other report, I run across this link and of course I had to check it out. Haven't even read the first page....because I'm still on the other one. Good thing hubby and DS are out of town tonight....I won't feel guilty about sitting in the recliner with the laptop:surfweb:

Ok...so I'm here now....back to reading;)
Heather

:rotfl: Welcome Heather! This trip was just so much fun I wanted to relive it. I can't wait it go back to the waterparks. your TR was one of the main reasons I gave them a chance, thank you!

:rotfl: Welcome Heather! This trip was just so much fun I wanted to relive it. I can't wait it go back to the waterparks. your TR was one of the main reasons I gave them a chance, thank you!

Glad to be of service;)

Love, love, love the 1bd AKV!!!!! Now I'm rethinking my decision about BWV :laughing: It looked really nice....much nicer than the BWV pics look :confused: Have you stayed at the Boardwalk, yet? Our family wants to try a villa...and since we usually travel with my parents, it makes perfect sense....lots more room.

So...which water park do you prefer??? Since we did BB last year, we're going to try TL next summer. Already looking forward to it! And the donuts at BB...holy cow, the picture made me hungry!!! We devoured our two orders and still wanted more :upsidedow

Glad you decided to do this TR:thumbsup2
Heather

Glad to be of service;)

Love, love, love the 1bd AKV!!!!! Now I'm rethinking my decision about BWV :laughing: It looked really nice....much nicer than the BWV pics look :confused: Have you stayed at the Boardwalk, yet? Our family wants to try a villa...and since we usually travel with my parents, it makes perfect sense....lots more room.

We haven't tried BW yet, it's on the list but I'm not crazy about the room decor. I think the resort itself is beautiful but the rooms look a little dated to me. But I think that might be the theme, not sure. We were absolutely in love with our room this trip, so glad we finally experienced a 1BR. Having the kitchen and laundry was fantastic. Even though it was a short trip we did laundry every day. Not to mention having the extra room was wonderful. Not like we needed it but I've pretty much decided to do 1BRs on future trips with mom, it was really nice.

So...which water park do you prefer??? Since we did BB last year, we're going to try TL next summer. Already looking forward to it! And the donuts at BB...holy cow, the picture made me hungry!!! We devoured our two orders and still wanted more :upsidedow

Don't worry, they have the donuts at TL too :) it was hard to decide, we really liked both. But I really like the theming of TL more. BBs lazy river is longer which is a plus. But then again I loved the wave pool at TL. Probably TL because of the theme but I wouldn't hesitate to go to BB again.

Glad you decided to do this TR:thumbsup2
Heather

Glad you came over! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter