AKV Jambo 1 BR and the fantastic Disney Waterparks! (update 8/1) Complete

Congratulations on your first DVC trip!!!! That's so exciting :) you're going to love AKL! Are you staying Jambo House or Kidani?

We are staying at Kidani. It was a last minute trip after we bought on our Cruise this past April. We are also booked for a Kidani Savanna view for this coming April before another cruise (on the renovated Magic) but may change to Jambo after we get there this week and take a look see.

We are also wanting to do the water parks but I have this fear of it being so crowded waiting to go on a water slide with school vacation and all. Hoping that it won't be too bad if we go this time. Our boys really want to go again.

It sounds like you had a lovely relaxing evening. What a shame though that the hot tubs were so busy.

Corinna

The whole trip was like that, relaxing and just plain perfect. We did what we wanted with absolutely no stress.

There was room in the second one, but not the company we would have liked. Kids can be you boisterous for hot tubs.

We are staying at Kidani. It was a last minute trip after we bought on our Cruise this past April. We are also booked for a Kidani Savanna view for this coming April before another cruise (on the renovated Magic) but may change to Jambo after we get there this week and take a look see.

We are also wanting to do the water parks but I have this fear of it being so crowded waiting to go on a water slide with school vacation and all. Hoping that it won't be too bad if we go this time. Our boys really want to go again.

One day to vacation!!! :cool1:

I admit I've never stayed at Kidani but a lot of people love it. One of these trips I will have to stay there to see the differences. I'm just in love with the lobby and pool area at Jambo House.

If the boys want to go I say go. It's going to be hot and you'll have a great time even if there are lines. Better to wait in lines where you know you'll soon be cool rather than at the main parks where there's no relief. And there's always the magnificent lazy rivers :cloud9:

You're going to have a fantastic trip no matter what you do, you're going to Disney!!!!!

that's our thoughts too. It's Disney! It's gonna be great no matter what! We want to really enjoy the resort this time. :cool1:

Great update and I agree, you just don't see the cranky people at the water parks. Less whining, less rudeness etc....I don't think we needed the barcode to get water and ice. It wouldn't have worked anyway, I don't think. The CM didn't help us.

I agree, Mara is SO cold. Like arctic cold. Whats the deal with that? I thought maybe it was just me.

Its nice when you meet a cool CM. Glad Steven helped pass the time. Its easy to be around happy people who enjoy what they're doing whether it be work or play. Positivity grows.

Nobody wants ice cream!? That just seems wrong :rotfl: No, we didn't try it, we had every intention to but then saw them making one for somebody else. We would have to eat it on an empty stomach it was so big. And then I realized I didn't have the camera, when I have a Sand Pail it must be documented!

I know, they are so weird. :rotfl: The Sand Pail is a less grotesque version of the Kitchen Sink which I still want to try. :lmao: I just want my few bites before the kids get it.

I agree, they were so much fun :) I'll be planning more vacations in hot months to take advantage of the waterparks.

They are the best! The lines can get a little long for some of the slides but some lines have misters which makes them more tolerable.

The girls liked Summit Plummet but said it was very fast and not a must do again type thing. Its one of those things you do once to say you've done it but really, you just end up with a big wedgie from it. :rotfl2:

You probably remember me raving about the CMs at AKL....aren't they awesome?! Sounds like Steven was another good one:thumbsup2 That's one of the very reasons our stay at the resort was so great.

I'm with you on the zebra domes. While they were good, I didn't think they were absolutely delicious. I tried them at Bomas...some of the other desserts were better.

And yep...a one bedroom will definitely spoil a person!! That's what worries me about having a villa :upsidedow

Sounds like you had a very nice day. I hope your mom enjoyed the Alice movies.

Great update and I agree, you just don't see the cranky people at the water parks. Less whining, less rudeness etc....I don't think we needed the barcode to get water and ice. It wouldn't have worked anyway, I don't think. The CM didn't help us.

I will have to remember this for next time, thanks! I'm hoping we can remember to freeze drinks the night before and bring them with to save some money, but if not the mug worked nicely.

I agree, Mara is SO cold. Like arctic cold. Whats the deal with that? I thought maybe it was just me.

Definitely not just you! It is so uncomfortable in there. We asked Steven about it and he said it was fabulous. We were shocked when he said that.

Its nice when you meet a cool CM. Glad Steven helped pass the time. Its easy to be around happy people who enjoy what they're doing whether it be work or play. Positivity grows.

He was great, Disney sure knows how to pick them. Well, most of them, it's a very rare CM that I ask myself, 'how did you get hired?'.

I know, they are so weird. :rotfl: The Sand Pail is a less grotesque version of the Kitchen Sink which I still want to try. :lmao: I just want my few bites before the kids get it.

The Kitchen Sink scares me. I'm thinking you'd have to eat pretty fast or have a lot of people share for it to not melt. But the Sand Pail is on the list. Who knows how much we'll be able to eat, but I want one. It's only a little bit more than buying two seperate desserts, so the price isn't too bad.

They are the best! The lines can get a little long for some of the slides but some lines have misters which makes them more tolerable.

The girls liked Summit Plummet but said it was very fast and not a must do again type thing. Its one of those things you do once to say you've done it but really, you just end up with a big wedgie from it. :rotfl2:

I can't imagine the wedgie. Bravo to them for trying it!

You probably remember me raving about the CMs at AKL....aren't they awesome?! Sounds like Steven was another good one:thumbsup2 That's one of the very reasons our stay at the resort was so great.

Every time we've stayed there the CMs have just been the best. I just love it there :lovestruc

I'm with you on the zebra domes. While they were good, I didn't think they were absolutely delicious. I tried them at Bomas...some of the other desserts were better.

I can't help but wonder if I'd like them more if there was milk chocolate on the outside.

And yep...a one bedroom will definitely spoil a person!! That's what worries me about having a villa :upsidedow

Worry, worry for good reason! If my points allow I think I'll always do a 1BR with mom. She really enjoyed being able to get up and enjoy the morning without bothering me. The exception will probably be the GF, the studios look very comfortable.

Loving your TR. You vacay like I would like to vacay (my DH is a bit more go...go...go...commando style). I had to cruise with my mom last year, instead of DH, in order to have a nice relaxing trip and we did...it was great. Someday my DDs and I will take my mom to WDW for a girls only trip and we can just 'chill' and enjoy.

We just added AKV points and have a big family (with my inlaws) trip booked for Xmas this year. It will be our 1st stay at AKV...we booked a 2BR at Kidani for the extra bathroom (I have 3 teens). Your TR has me so excited for our trip. I can't wait to read the rest.

We are from MD too...did you fly in or drive? We used to drive but found it to be a bit exhausting so now we fly.

Curious to see what your next trip is (you mentioned going every 3 months this year...did you go in March and are you going end of August next?).

Loving your TR. You vacay like I would like to vacay (my DH is a bit more go...go...go...commando style). I had to cruise with my mom last year, instead of DH, in order to have a nice relaxing trip and we did...it was great. Someday my DDs and I will take my mom to WDW for a girls only trip and we can just 'chill' and enjoy.

Welcome! and thank you :goodvibes I used to be a commando type but ever since buying DVC and knowing I'd be back the pressure is off to see and do everything. Before I would need a vacation after my Disney vacation but now we're just go with the flow type of vacationers. A girls trip with your mom and DDs would be great!

We just added AKV points and have a big family (with my inlaws) trip booked for Xmas this year. It will be our 1st stay at AKV...we booked a 2BR at Kidani for the extra bathroom (I have 3 teens). Your TR has me so excited for our trip. I can't wait to read the rest.

Congratulations on adding points! I think the 2BR has three bathrooms at Kidani if I'm not mistaken. You're going to love AKV, it's absolutely amazing! Unfortunately I have no pictures of Kidani just Jambo House.

We are from MD too...did you fly in or drive? We used to drive but found it to be a bit exhausting so now we fly.

Another Marylander how cool! We fly, you can't beat the 2 hour and 15 minute flight. I'd have to add two full days for travel if I drove. One day down and another day back up.

Curious to see what your next trip is (you mentioned going every 3 months this year...did you go in March and are you going end of August next?).

My next trip is in September, going to Disneyland for the first time. I did go in March, that was the big trip of the year. A 7 night Eastern Cruise on the Fantasy followed by 4 days at AKV club level. I'm still working on that TR, the link is in my signature if you're interested :)

Okay, I thought I told you but couldn't remember. Don't worry! They still have the chocolate chip cookies, just not the toffee, so you'll be good for September :thumbsup2

What a relaxing evening you guys had, even though you couldn't make it to a hot tub.

And so funny that you mention the Mara being cold. When I walked in, in December mind you, it was insanely cold! Of course, my mom loved it, but I hated it and wanted to get out of there asap.

Glad your mom enjoyed the original Alice in Wonderland. Wonder what she's going to think of the new one?!

Okay, I thought I told you but couldn't remember. Don't worry! They still have the chocolate chip cookies, just not the toffee, so you'll be good for September :thumbsup2

Whew! I was worried there for a second!

What a relaxing evening you guys had, even though you couldn't make it to a hot tub.

It really was. I made up for the hot tub with the jacuzzi tub, which was such a nice feature of the room.

And so funny that you mention the Mara being cold. When I walked in, in December mind you, it was insanely cold! Of course, my mom loved it, but I hated it and wanted to get out of there asap.

I feel like I'm in the arctic tundra when I go in there. I can't help but wonder how much they pay for electricity.

Glad your mom enjoyed the original Alice in Wonderland. Wonder what she's going to think of the new one?!

She loved the new one, we watched that the next night. I was totally shocked she hadn't seen either one.

Hi Pam! I am enjoying your trip report! I just love Jambo House. We were in Kadani in May and will never stay there again. We did not like it at all. We even took the shuttle over to Jambo to use that pool during our stay. We do have plans to stay at Jambo house in February and can not wait!!

Hi Pam! I am enjoying your trip report! I just love Jambo House. We were in Kadani in May and will never stay there again. We did not like it at all. We even took the shuttle over to Jambo to use that pool during our stay. We do have plans to stay at Jambo house in February and can not wait!!

Hi Lisa! Thanks for coming over :) I've been seriously neglecting this little TR, I need to do an update pronto.

Oh my on Kidani. I would like to stay there once just to say I did, but it'll be a while unless it's the only place with availability. Jambo House is amazing :love:

Day 3:

Hollywood Studios opened at 8:00 today and the plan was to head there ASAP to ride Toy Story Mania. I didn't know how possible it would be because we have a hard time waking up early on vacation. Well, mainly I have a hard time waking up but this morning it was mom. I woke up at 7:00 and tried to wake up mom. We could have made it there by 8:00 if we both hustled, but mom took her time watching the animals and having breakfast. No big deal, it was vacation after all. Just letting you guys know I did try to get there on time.

We managed to get to HS at 8:30 and made our way to TSM. It happened to be Star Wars weekend so there were tons of people there already. I didn't do my usual research for this trip so was surprised about this coincidence. Thankfully there were FPs still available but the come back time was for 1:10-2:10. The park had only been open for 30 minutes! The standby line was 40 minutes so we didnt stay. Instead we headed down to ToT. I couldn't believe how hot it already was. Mom was wearing a light dress and she was still sweating. I was wearing jeans and was just miserable.

I forgot to mention that the day before there was a voicemail in the room from my DVC guy letting us know that they were doing a preview of the new Grand Floridian villas at SSR and we were welcome to come by and check them out. Mom and I were really excited to see them. We both think the GF is gorgeous, and ever since they announced the building of the villas I've wanted to add on some points if I could. We added checking out the preview to the day's plans and figured we'd just check in with any DVC podium we found at HS. We passed one on the way to ToT but there was nobody there so we kept going. ToT had a 40 minute way so we headed down to RnRC. It was a 30 minute wait which wasn't much better but we thought it should move pretty quickly.

After a fantastic ride we went to check out ToT again, it was 30 minutes by then so we got in line. We are spoiled rotten by many nearly walk ons at ToT, so when we saw the line snaking down towards the entrance we got out of line and left. No ToT this trip. We headed back up to the DVC podium but there was still nobody there. I was getting very hungry so we stopped in Starring Rolls. Unfortunately, after waiting in a very large line we left without anything. I was more in the mood for a breakfast sandwich instead of pastries and for some reason I thought they had them on the menu. We stopped in the store across the street where I've found delicious muffins previously and picked up this beauty. I know, it's stil not a breakfast sandwich.

Sadly it looked a lot better than it tasted.

When we went to the DVC podium a third time there was somebody there. We had a fantastic chat with him and of course asked about the preview for the new villas. He said he could only provide transportation for people that were interested in buying. If we just wanted to see them we had to take a bus to SSR ourselves. Well I couldn't honestly say I was interested in buying until I knew the price. Scott told us the preconstruction price was $145 and when I did the math I could manage it if I bought 50 and banked/borrowed which was my plan all along. With that decided he arranged transportation for us and a driver was there in no time. Kevin was our driver and he has been a member since 1994. He bought 400 points for $55 each. It makes me sick! :laughing:

At SSR we were directed into the little snack area and were told somebody would come find us shortly. Joe came and got us and we chatted for a little bit. Amazingly his sister lives in the same town mom does and whenever he comes to visit he and his sister go to the same restaurant mom and her DBF go to all the time. What a small world! Then he took us over to the preview center. Mom and I were blown away. I think I'm ok to post these now, when we were there they were super secret, only the people that work at the SSR location had been able to see them, no other CMs.

Sorry these are not the best quality, I was rushing to get pictures while they were empty.

The 1BR

It couldn't be a claw foot tub because of the jets

TV in the mirror

There was also a HUGE shower that I missed taking a picture of. I think some other people came in at that point and I hastily put the camera away.

Studio

The thing on the left is a murphy bed underneath the TV, so the studios now sleep 5.

And there are two bathing areas, a separate shower and a traditional tub/shower combo

The door in between closes so they can be used separately with privacy

I was officially in love and decided to add on the 50 I had planned on. I thought of adding more but I really don't need them and I can always use the 7 month window if I need to. I wanted to guarantee being able to go during Christmas either every other year for 5 nights, or every third year for 7 nights. They are doing something they've never done with any of the other resorts and selling specific weeks. This really put me off because that's exactly why I like DVC, being able to go any time I want. But the difference with this is you are guaranteed that week but if you dont want to use it you can let DVC know you wont' be coming and use those points for anytime you want. I was drawn to the idea but you'd have to buy a weeks worth of points and I wasn't prepared for that. I just wanted to let you guys know in case anybody would be interested in the idea. They said they were selling quickly but who knows how quickly.

With my purchase complete I was on cloud 9. I really couldn't believe I was able to do it and was in a happy sort of daze about the whole thing. They took us to the ice cream parlor where we encountered a surprisingly grumpy ice cream CM. Her DH wasn't 'letting' her buy any more points and she wanted some at the VGF. No need to be grumpy with me... After we enjoyed our ice cream we were taken back to HS. We had FPs to use!

I managed to win which is a rare thing with mom and I. We enjoyed it as much usual and I was so glad we'd been able to get FPs. Then we decided to head back to the resort, change into our bathing suits and head to BB. We were both miserably hot and thought a swim would be quite nice. I said goodbye to the hat on the way out, not sure if it'll still be there when I get back. I can't believe they're even thinking about getting rid of it.

Wow, I totally get why you fell in love and had to get the points!

Congrats on your purchase! :woohoo: I didn't know the VGF were selling certain weeks? Are the prices more for certain weeks?

Cute glittery nails.

Love the room view.

I never think Disney pastries a a good as they look. Ever. :sad: I just quit taking bites of them. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter