Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

Our bathroom reno has been delayed yet again... sigh.
Well shoot, it'll get back on track soon I'm sure though :)

His retirement has also left me profoundly melancholy.
Well that's a bummer. I know how that can feel when you get used to seeing the same person for eons.

We had our large family gathering with lots of food and fireworks last night. Our sons and family weren't present as they live far away but my sister's family next door with all her kids and grand kids were all here. Watching them watch our fireworks and running around with sparklers still makes the celebration very special!! :love:
Aww well darn that your sons couldn't come but that still sounds like a lovely 4th with part of your family.

Our 4th was spent going to see the in-law's new house in the country...yeah it actually is in the country. It's nice and all but boy do they have a lot of reno to do. We still don't understand why they spent the money to basically want to redo the whole house but land was what they wanted. It does have a huge outbuilding/garage that has a car lift in it (which is nice) but they still need to build onto it in order to store their 5th wheel in it. It was nice though as they bought a real nice quality pool table and a fairly good quality air hockey table from the previous owners. We spent a while playing pool in the nice a/c as outside was burning up. By the time we ate dinner around 6:15pm we ate outside where the table was shaded by the house and it wasn't blistering hot (it was still hot but with a slight breeze it wasn't as bad). No way would I have spent all day outside in the sun on the 4th :crazy2: it was just too dang hot.

Everyone stayed at the house to shoot off fireworks which being in unincorporated part of the county (which is the county just above us) they live in they could shoot off fireworks (bigger ones than you'd normally see in neighborhoods) or at least they said no one would care out there (I still haven't gotten their address down..I just spend the last 10+ years getting used to their old address lol).

We however left and went to go watch professional fireworks. @Micca have you ever watched the Corporate Woods fireworks? We had gone inside the business park like twice and after fighting the thousands and thousands of people to get out we just now watch it from a side street near 69 highway--on a side note I'm still amazed at the idiots who stop on the highway (normally the shoulder) to watch the fireworks! like hello you looking to cause/get into an accident!?

Downside is street lights so it doesn't go completely dark like they do inside Corporate Woods but plus side is it's a lot easier to get out of the area even though where we go is getting busier year after year. I don't have a photo from this year I let Aaron take a few photos and a video of the finale this year lol.

We however left and went to go watch professional fireworks. @Micca have you ever watched the Corporate Woods fireworks?
I have not, I'm afraid WDW has spoiled me for fireworks. My youngest DGD went to see it with some friends, I haven't heard her review yet. She's 5, I'm not even sure if she was able to stay awake for it.;) I will say that there were some people in DDs neighborhood who were shooting off some pretty impressive pyro. We decided next year we're just buying a boat load of parachutes, those were the most popular.

Your in-laws place sounds like it has a lot of potential.:)

I have not, I'm afraid WDW has spoiled me for fireworks.
:lmao: Well that is understandable.

They are good fireworks I'll give you that :)

'Course I wonder how much they spend each night for them between DHS, MK and Epcot :eek:

My youngest DGD went to see it with some friends, I haven't heard her review yet. She's 5, I'm not even sure if she was able to stay awake for it.;)
IME kids seldom pay attention to the actual fireworks OR they talk through the entire thing and we're not talking the "ohhs and awes".

It was kinda cute because there was this little girl probably 4 or 5 who just played with her blanket her parents laid out for her the whole time. She twirled around with it and everything.

The people next to us the mom kept getting up and videoing the kids (I guess to get their reactions) but she wasn't watching the fireworks at all and the kids had full on conversations throughout the thing.

I really enjoy going to watch the fireworks there I just wished that people could keep quiet (other than geniune reactions that we all have) for the just over 20min show..is that too much to ask lol.

Your in-laws place sounds like it has a lot of potential.:)
It does really. They may even get a pool back there (who knows but they have mentioned it). It will be nice when it's all done and the country vs HOA suits my step-father-in-law quite well. The basement is being set up almost like an apartment for my sister-in-law (21) and her husband (22) to move in. There's already a wet bar down there but they are turning it into a full kitchen. The only thing they won't have down there is a washer and dryer which will be upstairs.

I miss their old house but it's exciting to see what they do with their new house.

I have not, I'm afraid WDW has spoiled me for fireworks.

That is exactly what DD and I said this year after seeing the fireworks here. For us, I think it has to do with HEA. We've seen Wishes, Illuminations, and SWaGS, but we have still enjoyed our town's fireworks display up until this year. However, we saw HEA for the first time this past January and now we were not at all impressed with the fireworks here the other night. I know a lot of people don't like that HEA is so projection heavy, but DD and I really like that aspect. As DD said, "at Disney we get to see a show, but this was just color and very loud booms." The pretty castle has spoiled us! Plus, it probably didn't help that our display here was 8 minutes shorter than last year's, and either they just skipped the accompanying music altogether or there was a technical glitch.

Sounds like you had a fun 4th, Mackenzie! I love being out in the country. It would be really nice for you guys if your in-laws do get a pool. That would make for some excellent 4ths of July! I think I would grab an adult beverage, find a raft, and float in the pool while watching fireworks other people were setting off. Let us know if the pool thing happens, so we can all join you! :thumbsup2 We'll just be some long lost relatives you found.

It was unbearably hot here, too. We didn't travel to see family this year, so we decided it was a movie day due to the heat. The movies were packed, though, so we loaded up on movie snacks at the store and watched three new-to-us movies at home. We rarely get to do anything like that, so it was a great day for us! The fireworks were on the 3rd here, so that was already over and done with.

Sounds like you had a fun 4th, Mackenzie! I love being out in the country. It would be really nice for you guys if your in-laws do get a pool. That would make for some excellent 4ths of July! I think I would grab an adult beverage, find a raft, and float in the pool while watching fireworks other people were setting off. Let us know if the pool thing happens, so we can all join you! :thumbsup2 We'll just be some long lost relatives you found.
:lmao::lmao:

It's a bit funny though honestly as we have a pool in our neighborhood just haven't been there yet in the nearly 4 years we've lived here. We probably should though honestly just to try it out ::yes::

It was unbearably hot here, too. We didn't travel to see family this year, so we decided it was a movie day due to the heat. The movies were packed, though, so we loaded up on movie snacks at the store and watched three new-to-us movies at home. We rarely get to do anything like that, so it was a great day for us! The fireworks were on the 3rd here, so that was already over and done with.
Ohhh what movies did you end up watching?

:lmao::lmao:

It's a bit funny though honestly as we have a pool in our neighborhood just haven't been there yet in the nearly 4 years we've lived here. We probably should though honestly just to try it out ::yes::

Ohhh what movies did you end up watching?

You definitely should during this horrid heat wave!

First we watched Incredibles because our plan was to then go to the movies to see Incredibles 2. Once we saw how crowded the place was, we went with plan B and also watched Deadpool and the Shape of Water. We loved all three movies. Incredibles was way better than I ever expected. We're going to see the sequel next week. Deadpool was hilarious. Ryan Reynolds was born for that role. We fast forwarded through a certain montage just because it's a bit uncomfortable to watch that sort of thing with a teen, but doing so didn't detract from the rest of the show. We'll watch the sequel at home once it's released. The Shape of Water ended up being mine and DDs favorite. We couldn't stop thinking and talking about it after. (Dh had gone to bed by then so he didn't see it - probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as we did, anyway) There was a little more fast forwarding during one part, but we saw enough to know that it's there as a contrast to the relationship between Elisa and the amphibious being. Fantastic movie. I see why it won Best Picture, but the Academy fell short when they also didn't give the awards to the cast. Everyone did an excellent job with their characters. I'm so glad I listened to DD's request to see it.

First we watched Incredibles because our plan was to then go to the movies to see Incredibles 2.
I need to rewatch Incredibles because I haven't seen it in years. Aaron and I do plan on seeing Incredibles 2 just likely when it comes available on DVD/streaming.

Deadpool was hilarious. Ryan Reynolds was born for that role. We fast forwarded through a certain montage just because it's a bit uncomfortable to watch that sort of thing with a teen, but doing so didn't detract from the rest of the show. We'll watch the sequel at home once it's released.
Deadpool was very very funny and I totally agree with you on Ryan Reynolds. He's not afraid to make fun of himself and that completely works to his advantage. I know exactly what scene you are talking about and I totally understand fast fowarding.

As for Deadpool 2 it was very funny too. We saw it in theaters but I think the first one was more funny just because you weren't expecting a lot of the action and dialogue to occur.

The Shape of Water ended up being mine and DDs favorite.
I have not seen that movie yet but I have heard really good things about it. I may eventually get it from the library and watch it.

I know a lot of people don't like that HEA is so projection heavy, but DD and I really like that aspect.
I love the castle projection! I've seen fireworks my entire life, but the projections on the castle are really cool & different to me.
Yes, just long enough to get some chicken..
Today is National Fried Chicken day.:cool1: I just don't know if it's important enough for me to venture out in to the furnace to get it. Besides I'd have to get some cole slaw, mashed potatoes and biscuits too. And some apple pie for dessert.:scratchin

I love the castle projection! I've seen fireworks my entire life, but the projections on the castle are really cool & different to me.

Today is National Fried Chicken day.:cool1: I just don't know if it's important enough for me to venture out in to the furnace to get it. Besides I'd have to get some cole slaw, mashed potatoes and biscuits too. And some apple pie for dessert.:scratchin

So… did you venture out!? :fish:

Well a bit of sad news.

The in-law's dog (I believe an Irish Setter) who they've had since he was old enough to go to them (so about 2 1/2 3 months old I believe) got hit by a car and died today. He was about 10months old :sad::sad::sad::sad:

I was just talking to my step-father-in-law on 4th of July if they were going to do a fence, invisible fence or dog run since they moved out to the country but he said that they were just training him and then let him go free. Well he was walking him today (I'm assuming not far since he cannot be on his feet for too too long these days) but he didn't have his leash with him since the dog had been doing well on staying close to him. Well the dog saw a bird and ran after it and a car/truck (not sure which one) was near-ish and clipped him. They believe he died instantly by a hit on the head.

A leash would have only done so much though as a dog who sees something they want can sure tug on the leash. People don't walk their dogs all the time on leashes here in my neighborhood (despite leash laws) and sometimes they are walking on the road sometimes with the dog at the most vunerable spot. It was a concern I had though when they moved to the country they had already had their mailbox hit and destroyed (as far as being usable for mail) by a driver just a week or so after they moved to the new house. Step-father-in-law is just beside himself and we feel just terrible for them. A sad day indeed :sad1:.

Well a bit of sad news.

The in-law's dog (I believe an Irish Setter) who they've had since he was old enough to go to them (so about 2 1/2 3 months old I believe) got hit by a car and died today. He was about 10months old :sad::sad::sad::sad:

I was just talking to my step-father-in-law on 4th of July if they were going to do a fence, invisible fence or dog run since they moved out to the country but he said that they were just training him and then let him go free. Well he was walking him today (I'm assuming not far since he cannot be on his feet for too too long these days) but he didn't have his leash with him since the dog had been doing well on staying close to him. Well the dog saw a bird and ran after it and a car/truck (not sure which one) was near-ish and clipped him. They believe he died instantly by a hit on the head.

A leash would have only done so much though as a dog who sees something they want can sure tug on the leash. People don't walk their dogs all the time on leashes here in my neighborhood (despite leash laws) and sometimes they are walking on the road sometimes with the dog at the most vunerable spot. It was a concern I had though when they moved to the country they had already had their mailbox hit and destroyed (as far as being usable for mail) by a driver just a week or so after they moved to the new house. Step-father-in-law is just beside himself and we feel just terrible for them. A sad day indeed :sad1:.

Oh no. That is terribly sad. I'm so very sorry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter