Any idea when we can buy WDW annual passes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is with the diminished offering is that I would expect a lower price.

Annual Passes were a steal to begin with. Disney could raise AP costs this fall or in the spring like they've done every year and enough APs would renew for Disney to be happy

Annual Passes were a steal to begin with. Disney could raise AP costs this fall or in the spring like they've done every year and enough APs would renew for Disney to be happy

Based on the cancellations, I don't know I would agree with that. Some will think that at the company, but I'll not definitely betting on that case.

I'm really curious if DL will handle the AP's the same as WDW. That's what is driving me crazy the most during this long closure. I want to mentally prepare myself for how they handle passes lol.

Georgia resident here. I'd likely buy a Disney AP in a heartbeat for a discounted price. Maybe 14-16 months for the price of 12? Sounds great to me. I'd plan WAY more trips than I otherwise would have. That means Disney gets far more money from me than they otherwise would have. I can't possibly be alone here.

Just be up front about the current restrictions. Tell us no park hopping right now and it's not known when or if they'll return. No guaranteed admission without a reservation, etc. No biggie.

I assume that Disney is just being nice by offering refunds. It's the right thing to do with benefits altered so much, but I imagine that the fine print says they don't have to and that the pass does not actually guarantee admission and the terms can change at any time, etc,etc.

They could easily say something like from this date forward, no more refunds. Clearly, everyone is aware of the restrictions at this point. Them lowering the price is not reason enough for a refund. The price is what it is at the time you buy it. If the price is lowered later, yeah that really sucks, but how is that Disney's problem?

I think they should raise the AP cost x3. Still make a profit and keep crowds low.

Long-term I have no doubts the AP will be back. Short-term, it will be different. The break-even point was always around 10-11 days when I did the math before. If you were going to be in the parks 10 or 11 days in one calendar year, it made sense to get the AP.

I could see them raising the AP to make BEP come around 15 day mark...The AP would include guaranteed reservations to 1 park at all times, but you might have to plan the current/popular theme parks (think DHS right now) in advance.

The Reservation system is perfect for pandemic-proofing but they only come around every 100 years or so (knock on wood). Eventually, I'd think everything reverts back to the previous system with AP getting guaranteed reservations to any park they want.

Georgia resident here. I'd likely buy a Disney AP in a heartbeat for a discounted price. Maybe 14-16 months for the price of 12? Sounds great to me. I'd plan WAY more trips than I otherwise would have. That means Disney gets far more money from me than they otherwise would have. I can't possibly be alone here.
I would definitely buy an AP right now if it were good for 14-16 months. My next planned trip isn’t until Dec 2021, but I’m half tempted to take advantage of super cheap airfare and pop down for a long Halloween weekend, and getting an AP would make financial sense over the 2 trips.

Annual Passes were a steal to begin with.

Not after the last price increase they weren’t, unless you‘re a Florida resident. A new platinum AP is $1270 after tax, the renewal is $1080 for nonresidents. Florida residents get a couple hundred off that pass. The other Florida resident passes are certainly a lot cheaper, with some of them $6-700 or less. But nonresidents, unrestricted passes are pretty high.

We renewed, because we could. It's a risk. It was something we'd regret not having, since they aren't offering new ones.

I believe if they sell AP's during the 50th, we aren't going to see any discounts.

I know this idea is out there, but I would like to see a resort annual pass that is discounted. That way you can make unlimited reservations, but they are all tied to a resort stay so Disney is getting their money on both. I think that could be an effective discount promotion because it would also promote their hotels. At the same time, I would offer a local deal where the three reservation restriction goes away two or three weeks out to help numbers even out. I think they could also offer their super platinum option of unlimited reservations for people, but offer no discount and actually triple the price from the current platinum price. If no one buys it, lower the price until you hit the threshold you wanted.

Not after the last price increase they weren’t, unless you‘re a Florida resident. A new platinum AP is $1270 after tax, the renewal is $1080 for nonresidents. Florida residents get a couple hundred off that pass. The other Florida resident passes are certainly a lot cheaper, with some of them $6-700 or less. But nonresidents, unrestricted passes are pretty high.

I'm with you - Make locals pay the $1270 too and see what that does to crowds.
;)

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but why wouldn't the out of state APs actually be lower than FLA resident's to begin with?

Less likely to come to the parks as often and more likely to stay longer, in your hotels and eat at your restaurants.

I'm with you - Make locals pay the $1270 too and see what that does to crowds.
;)

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but why wouldn't the out of state APs actually be lower than FLA resident's to begin with?

Less likely to come to the parks as often and more likely to stay longer, in your hotels and eat at your restaurants.
Because they want to entice locals to come as often as possible. So they price it lower so more are likely to buy it and then on a weekend say “hey we already have these passes, let’s go to Disney.” Same reason why DVC gets a a massive discount on passes (lower than Florida residents for platinum). They want those people to be locked in for the year. If they raised local price, they would get a bunch that wouldn’t buy, or would buy UO instead and they would lose their business for a year.

Because they want to entice locals to come as often as possible. So they price it lower so more are likely to buy it and then on a weekend say “hey we already have these passes, let’s go to Disney.” Same reason why DVC gets a a massive discount on passes (lower than Florida residents for platinum). They want those people to be locked in for the year. If they raised local price, they would get a bunch that wouldn’t buy, or would buy UO instead and they would lose their business for a year.
Don’t disagree with any of that. My real question is why are out of state APs more expensive?
They’ve clearly underestimated the demand and dollars that out of state APs/visitors bring to the park with the lack of attendance and hotel openings that are pushed back. Florida residents don’t appear to be moving the needle enough on their own.

Don’t disagree with any of that. My real question is why are out of state APs more expensive?
They’ve clearly underestimated the demand and dollars that out of state APs/visitors bring to the park with the lack of attendance and hotel openings that are pushed back. Florida residents don’t appear to be moving the needle enough on their own.
I think that’s just because it’s how it’s always been done with all of the Florida theme parks. They give the discount to Florida residents in order to entice them to buy it. So by giving them the discount, out of state has to pay full price.

And I don’t want to get too far into it, but I don’t think Disney is that upset with the attendance they currently have. They’re making out some days (especially weekends) and I think they always had the plans to leave resorts closed. Less staff they have to pay.

No time like now to shake things up and restructure the out of state pricing to below that of Florida residents (no chance)! ;)

Also I think the recently released discounts say that the attendance isn't really where they would like it. Those hotels were built for people to stay in and spend money. It isn't the local amusement park where walk-ups are going to make or break the books. It's a gigantic machine that constantly needs to be fed from multiple angles.

Which brings me back to my point about out of state APs. By charging them the most and treating them like 3rd class citizens (below day guests and locals), doesn't make sense.

I wish I had a definitive answer about when they will resume but I have some good news if anyone want's to do some legwork?

My wife and I's Gold passes expired mid COVID (April) and I spent 7 total hours last week on the phone with Disney trying to get someone to let us renew. The renew option apparently expired back in July? I wasn't aware of this and honestly when we called in April they said that since the parks were closed we should hold off. 7 hours, between actively talking to a CM or on hold. I spoke with like 5 different departments. I spoke with DVC, AP Hotline, General Customer service, AP Monthly payment line, and FINALLY Ticketing. Ultimately, Ticketing had to be the dept to re-instate a temporary 3 day AP to allow a renewal to take place.

It was SO much work but my big arguing point was that we were DVC Members, AP Holders for the last 10 years, AND our 4 year old still had her pass valid until end of September. The CM's were all great, it's just no one knew exactly who they needed to contact to get it taken care of.

On another note, our good friends all have passes and their little dude just turned 4 so he needed one too (never had a pass before that) and they were able to call Ticketing and apparently Ticketing was able to issue an AP (She also is DVC and the whole family has passes)

I just wanted to type all this out because if there was anyone in a similar boat to me, I hope this helps you know that there's a way! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter