Anyone else thinking of cancelling their fall room reservations because of Covid

I have Sept. YC, Oct, POP, and Dec POP. Getting scared, (hubby and I are seniors).....and I don't think I'm going to like only one park per day. I like the flexibility of hopping and doing whatever I want and ending up at HS for Cocktails or Epcot for a snacks. Thinking of cancelling September, although the YC rate is amazing.......

Already cancelled for September. I have to bank my DVC points by 7/31, so I made the call the beginning of July to cancel, and banked my points then. I had been pretty sure for close to 2 months that was the way I was leaning. I would be travelling with my Mom who is 81, and I just don't want to take any risks with her health. Plus 5 hours on a plane in mask just sounds endless. I also have a November reservation at VGC that I am hoping will happen (not super hopeful right now), but I live locally, so I will go if it is open most likely (4 new walls to look at sounds like heaven right about now). I will be booking WDW for March and September of next year.

Same here. June trip cancelled. Then August cancelled. Now have cancelled October as well. Will reconsider when things settle down.

I need to cancel an August trip. Wonder if I should wait and see if DW closes and gives us a good discount to come back lol.

Canceled our late October trip this week. No reason to reschedule since Fall/Winter of next year is not open yet.

We moved ours from April to early November. We have 6 adults and 1 child. We have one family member in the health care field and another who is also an essential worker in another field.

Some hospitals aren't allowing healthcare workers to go out of state without quarantining when they get back. My family member's hospital doesn't have that policy...yet. My other family who is an essential employee believes her requested time off will still be granted but we know there is a possibility things can change.

3/4 adults have never stopped working (just slowed some) and the last one is retired. We are holding out for now and seeing where we are end of August/early September.

I cancelled our Thanksgiving trip and rebooked for our ‘21 spring break. Sad to cancel, but remaining hopeful all will be up and running by April.

Not really. Cancelled our big Family GTG in Oct, and proceeded to rebook DVC Studios (4 nt stays) for just DW and myself for the end of Oct, middle Dec, end of Jan and early March. Optimizing our extended AP's with 20 more park days. We feel it will be safe, clean and enjoyable. We drive 6 hours from Georgia so minimal contact on the trip. Lots of hand cleaning, social distancing and masks.

Well, we just made the difficult decision of cancelling our rebooked from May, September trip due to the outbreaks going on in Florida right now. We were hoping to see a downtrend by now, but it doesn't looks so good. I am going to try to reschedule to the end of April or beginning of May next year. it's funny, I really didn't want to do this, but I'm feeling a little relieved right now. Hoping for the return of FP, shows, park hopping and fireworks (and free dining would be nice too) and really hoping that things will be so much better for everyone next year.

We are in Canada, our borders are closed but I would have canceled Aug anyway. No way do I want to step foot in Florida. Plus I’d have to be in a plane for 6hrs.
I have a late Nov/Dec trip but have my fingers crossed. I don’t know what will happen. I hope that Florida gets their act together and numbers come down.

Some hospitals aren't allowing healthcare workers to go out of state without quarantining when they get back. My family member's hospital doesn't have that policy...yet.

My hospital has this policy also. (Philadelphia) We don't have the option to just take it unpaid; we'd have to be approved for vac hours in advance for that time home as well.
The whole thing has wrecked my urge to travel. I wouldn't even mind a long weekend in Cape May (NJ shore) but just the thought of trying to find outdoor dining that isn't crowded gets me stressed, like we'll be stuck eating take out/delivery all weekend. Prices are high and it's just not worth it to me. We are saving $ like crazy. I doubt our 14-night cruise will still happen next February. We have until late Oct to make a decision. After Oct 29, it has to be paid in full (yes, 4 months in advance) and then after that it's non-refundable. I don't like the idea of having so much $$ tied up indefinitely. Sure, Disney is a big company and can hopefully weather this storm but I'd rather just wait and book a new reservation when the craziness is over.

We have a trip booked over Thanksgiving. I had already come to the decision to cancel even though I haven’t actually done it yet. Disney in covid just isn’t what we want to experience. The trip is very expense for us, so with all the restrictions, I don’t think it’s value for money.

I instead booked a long weekend to Universal thinking it would be a good alternative but just a few days so less mask wearing, less parks, less planning, etc. Today, however our state (MA) is putting in place a mandatory travel ban where any one coming into the state, including returning residents, must quarantine for 2 weeks, or 72 hours after getting a negative covid test, or face a $500 fine. We can’t take that additional time off school and work because of a vacation. We are now cancelling Universal too. The travel ban is the right thing to do. Better for out health and safety, but so disappointed.

Lost our April trip. Haven't cancelled our October trip yet. But yet is the key word. The number of CoVid cases DAILY in Florida is really worrisome. We are running out of time to consider what we want to do, but our trip is looking less likely to happen every day. Not so worried about the points, hoping we can get a refund on the airfare (again).

We spent 7 days at BLT last week. We drove in from Texas. It was worth it. Everyone was masked, distanced, and sanitized. We ate at restaurants every day. Felt very comfortable and never felt unnecessarily at risk. Honestly the precautions at Disney World were better than our daily experience here at home.

Masks in the heat were not a problem at all. Lowest wait times we've ever seen.

Last edited:
We spent 7 days at BLT last week. We drove in from Texas. It was worth it. Everyone was masked, distanced, and sanitized. We ate at restaurants every day. Felt very comfortable and never felt unnecessarily at risk. Honestly the precautions at Disney World were better than our daily experience here at home.

Pray you and your loved ones stay healthy. You should know for sure in 2 weeks.

I went for a quick three day trip last week, partly to see if it was going to be worth keeping my August reservation and partly because I was afraid they would close again before my August trip. While there were some changes to get used to, I did not feel unsafe there. I know I would feel differently if I had to fly though, so I can totally understand anyone who has to fly having second thoughts. I am planning to keep my August reservation unless Disney cancels on me. I have had three vacations cancelled due to the virus.

My family and I stayed at the Contemporary for 5 nights last week and I felt safer in the “Disney Bubble” than I did in my local grocery store last evening. NC has a mask mandate but I was actually in the minority by wearing a mask in store. We have a Thanksgiving trip planned and are thinking about a quick Labor Day trip as well. I completely understand folks delaying and cancelling their trips - it was a stressful choice when we decided to go last week.

^^Yep we are in NC too.

Lowes, Walmart, and grocery stores are a crap shoot. Sometimes everyone seems to be wearing their masks (albeit some incorrectly) and some times its like NO ONE is wearing a mask, everyone is walking the wrong way down an aisle, and nobody is staying 6 feet away from anything. Gyms are open in defiance of the governor's order, huge family reunions and birthday parties can be spotted around time at people's houses (our local health director had a major birthday party for his wife where over 100 cars were photographed going down his street), the backwoods bars are opening for "private parties" which is all the regulars and NOBODY is wearing masks and then filming themselves and 50+ people in a very tight bar singing and dancing for hours. Some of the more conservative churches are open, having services without masks and social distancing. There are multiple people who I know have tested positive that then go back to work or don't tell people they socialize with.

We are a few hours from Myrtle Beach (the hot spot of the South) and so people are coming back there nearly every weekend testing positive.

I still have to work but my job is relatively safe in terms of everyone wearing masks and being our own offices. My child has been back in daycare for 2+ months. For us, WDW seems a lot less scary than some of the places around us.

For people in NE/NY, WDW must seem incredibly scary. For those of us dealing with the stupidity of everyone else, WDW seems safe.

My family and I stayed at the Contemporary for 5 nights last week and I felt safer in the “Disney Bubble” than I did in my local grocery store last evening. NC has a mask mandate but I was actually in the minority by wearing a mask in store. We have a Thanksgiving trip planned and are thinking about a quick Labor Day trip as well. I completely understand folks delaying and cancelling their trips - it was a stressful choice when we decided to go last week.
This all the way. I live in Charleston which is a Hotspot in and of itself. I've been to plenty of "essential" places around here (grocery stores, gas stations, etc) that feel far less safe re: masks, social distancing, etc. than from what I've seen at Disney or Universal. We go to FL next week for a resort only day at Disney, few days in Sarasota visiting family, and a one day/nt st UO. I can't wait.

Did you drive from Austin? How long was the drive?
Glad you had a good time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter