Are you sending your kids to school next month?

We have been told not to post anything on social media (our classroom pics, concerns, requests for Clorox wipes, etc.). We were also told not to contact our superintendant or school board through calls or emails bc we aren't following the chain of command and they are busy.

That is absurd.
Maybe the higher-up’s strategy to hopefully eradicate the virus.

Not sure how many have heard of Kaiser Permanente (they're only the biggest HMO), but they are providing employees with free legal counseling to set up living wills as well.

I work for a large healthcare company and my employer has offered the same for a long time.

We have been told not to post anything on social media (our classroom pics, concerns, requests for Clorox wipes, etc.). We were also told not to contact our superintendant or school board through calls or emails bc we aren't following the chain of command and they are busy.

For what it's worth, a few years ago, my employer told all employees that IF we list our employer on our social media profiles, then ANYTHING we post on that social media platform can, and will, be used against us in performance reviews and such. As a result, I don't have my place of employment listed in my social media. But the people who know me do know where I work. I just don't refer to Company X at all.

We are very much on the fence, but will need to make a decision soon on in-person vs remote learning. I expect in person will be a much higher quality learning experience and for that reason am considering it. We have been very conservative as a family- not traveling, no sports, keeping good social distancing, etc. The teachers and faculty I know are mixed of ready to be back and a little hesitant. They can’t ISS every kid that takes their mask off and there will be people that ignorantly expose others to COVID. We fear those are the situations that will cause this whole idea to implode. The optimist in me hopes I’m wrong and that the cases are low and schools can stay open. The mama in me wants to keep my kids home in the nest. We are blessed that we can do either option without too much work upheaval either way. Kids want to go back, we have to be the parents and do what we think is best, even if it’s not popular.

If you read all of my posts, you will see that I said that not everyone can do that and it varies by region. I also said that everyone needs to do what is best for their family. I don't care if people stay home or go to work. I was not judging anyone. I was giving my experience and my observations. Everyone is allowed their opinion.

You don't have to defend yourself. You can see how most of the people on here are. If they don't agree with your opinion, they "attack". A lot of them believe it's their way or nothing at all. They refuse to see the other side. A lot of biased, one way thinking on a lot of subjects. It's sad but that is the world we live in now.

Not to be flip and NOT comparing it to the flu, but children die of the flu every year. They just don’t always publicize it. It’s always sad whenever a child dies.

One hundred and thirty six children died from the flu 2019-2020 but people on here will not even discuss this. They just attack if you bring up reality!

They can’t ISS every kid that takes their mask off and there will be people that ignorantly expose others to COVID.
Given that there is a virtual option, that makes it very easy for campuses to remove a child who won't wear the mask properly. He or she simply becomes a distance learning student. No ISS required. Parents know the rules & have to agree to them before signing their child up for in-person learning.

That is what my district is doing. Making it clear that masks are required, and they will send home any child who is noncompliant.

Forcing schools to open is basically insuring 100% of the teachers will get covid and bring it home to their family. Does anyone think these ideas through

Are you really serious? So you are saying that even with all the precautions the students and teachers will be taking, that still 100% of teachers will get COVID? So what is the point of any of us taking any precautions at all, including wearing masks if 100% will get the disease??? Where do people dream these things up and others agree with them? It's absurd

Forcing schools to open is basically insuring 100% of the teachers will get covid and bring it home to their family. Does anyone think these ideas through
Have you thought your ideas through?

A 100% transmission rate despite protective measures being taken? That isn't a well thought-out scenario at all. 100% transmission (or anything close to it) won't occur even with no protective measures being taken.

School doesn't start until September. But yes for sure. We only have 16 active cases in the province. It's safe.
So happy for you. Do your kids have a normal school day or are they mandated to wear masks and have a 6 ft circumference around them with no movement to the lunch room or specials like art and gym?

Distance learning is a waste and anyone who thinks it is comparable in any way shape or form to in person is deluding themselves. However, the mandates in my state for in person of a 6 ft circumference and kids pretty much not leaving the room with masks all day is not a good alternative either. Imagine sitting in your desk all day including lunch! That in itself is another kind of hell. When I look a the two I guess distance is the better choice at least the kids and teachers are not breathing in CO2 all day!

I just got word that my kids were accepted into an online school (accredited in my state, K-12), now have to make the big decision whether or not to pull them out of our local public school. I am leaning toward doing it, right now the plans seem to be leaning heavily toward hybrid schooling (alternating weeks in person and remote) and I just can't see that being manageable for teachers who have to juggle a live class and a virtual class at the same time. And all the things that parents cite as reasons in person is so important (art, music, socialization) won't even be happening in any of the models they have proposed. I feel like pulling them for a year where they can get their education through a program that has been doing virtual learning for years is a better option. But then it becomes a question of what will happen if/when my husband and I are sent back to work in our offices rather than working remotely. It's impossible on all fronts.

I just got word that my kids were accepted into an online school (accredited in my state, K-12), now have to make the big decision whether or not to pull them out of our local public school. I am leaning toward doing it, right now the plans seem to be leaning heavily toward hybrid schooling (alternating weeks in person and remote) and I just can't see that being manageable for teachers who have to juggle a live class and a virtual class at the same time. And all the things that parents cite as reasons in person is so important (art, music, socialization) won't even be happening in any of the models they have proposed. I feel like pulling them for a year where they can get their education through a program that has been doing virtual learning for years is a better option. But then it becomes a question of what will happen if/when my husband and I are sent back to work in our offices rather than working remotely. It's impossible on all fronts.

I think you are very wise to be looking into a long standing successful online school. If I had kids at home that is 100% what I would do. Virtual did not work well because schools were making it up on the fly. I’m a teacher and you would think that my state/district would have provided a great deal of training for effective virtual school over the summer, right? But nope, we’ve had nothing but the insistence that we must go back face to face. Last spring was unprecedented but now, we know it could happen so no excuse not to be well prepared.

I also agree that In person is the best quality instruction but no one should be thinking that it will be in any way “normal.” Masks will be worn and social distancing required. No field trips, no assemblies, modified PE and recess, and so on.

As you’re deciding, remember that public school is public school. If your family’s needs change, they cannot bar you from public school. That is the one thing I’m seeing that seems unenforceable. My state is saying that you must choose an option for a quarter and can only change then but how will they enforce that? Students move, change schools, pull out to home school, come back all the time every year. Is public education really prepared to say to a family who made a choice that isn’t working after a few weeks, “well too bad, you can change in 6 weeks.” I highly doubt it.

So our county's health department released guidelines for schools in terms of when in-person, hybrid, remote/distance learning along with what activities would be allowed and when each of that has been deemed appropriate in the county (there are 6 school districts in the county with 4 out of the 6 opting at the moment to delay until after Labor Day). They've called them learning modes. As this is a recommendation I'm not quite certain if the districts are beholden to this or can choose to do their own thing.

"The modes – green, yellow, red and remote only – are based on the prevalence of community transmission of the virus."

Green mode:
  • Previous 14 days have shown less than 5% of positive tests and either steady or decreasing reports of new COVID-19 cases.
Yellow mode:
  • Previous 14 days have shown less than 10% of positive tests and either steady or decreasing reports of new COVID-19 cases.
Red mode:
  • Previous 14 days have shown less than 15% of positive tests and either steady or decreasing reports of new COVID-19 cases.
Remote-only learning for all:
  • If COVID-19 cases are increasing and more than 15% are positive

Green mode:
  • Elementary schools can allow in-person classes so long as safe-opening principles are followed
  • Middle and high school students would be allowed to attend in-person classes and participate in activities

Yellow mode:
  • Limits elementary extra and co-curricular activities only to those that can accommodate mask wearing and social distancing
  • Middle and high school students the classes would be a hybrid model and no “high-risk activities” or group travel would be allowed for activities.
Red mode:
  • Only elementary school students would be able to continue in-person courses in the red mode.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Earlier I mentioned that the governor had made masks mandatory for all school children rather than adopting the Board of Education's recommendation that pre-k through 6th not be required.

Well our Attorney General has said he believes technically school districts (and counties) can opt out of that (meaning younger children wouldn't have to wear masks if the area opted out) per the agreement made in June to allow counties to be able to make decisions for themselves opting out of things here and there.

Most recently that would have been where counties opted out of the mask mandate but the other one earlier on was opting out of following the reopening plan as laid out by the governor (that just meant they could not follow at all or enact their own reopening plan). Now whether counties and school districts actually do that I have no idea. I'd say these days it's less likely to occur in my direct area but more likely to occur in rural counties where opting out rate is higher.

For what it's worth, a few years ago, my employer told all employees that IF we list our employer on our social media profiles, then ANYTHING we post on that social media platform can, and will, be used against us in performance reviews and such. As a result, I don't have my place of employment listed in my social media. But the people who know me do know where I work. I just don't refer to Company X at all.

This I agree with 100%. With the excepion of LinkedIn, unless you are in charge of posting to your company's social media account work and social media should never mix. The only think vaguely work related I post on social media is when I change jobs or get promoted and even then I don't mention any company by name. It is just a bad idea.

As you’re deciding, remember that public school is public school. If your family’s needs change, they cannot bar you from public school. That is the one thing I’m seeing that seems unenforceable. My state is saying that you must choose an option for a quarter and can only change then but how will they enforce that? Students move, change schools, pull out to home school, come back all the time every year. Is public education really prepared to say to a family who made a choice that isn’t working after a few weeks, “well too bad, you can change in 6 weeks.” I highly doubt it.

Thanks for that input - I imagine some of the limitations on students moving in and out of remote or in person learning has to do with managing the capacity of the building at a given time. My husband's job offered him WFH and he asked if that meant he could work from home some days and not others - their response was that generally no, either choose WFH or choose to stay in the office, but if there was a need to work in the office to call and work it out with the manager ahead of time because they had to maintain a certain cap on bodies in the building. One of the reasons I looked into the public school virtual programs (it's basically a charter school) was that I should be able to pull my kids back into the local school mid year if things look better, or re-enroll them next year assuming we are closer to "normal" again. I have to remember that no decision we make right now is a permanent one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter