As a driver do you know the rules for pedestrians in cross walks?

kdonnel

DVC-BCV
Today was not my first close call with a car while I am lawfully in a cross walk, sadly it will certainly not be my last.

I have to cross a 9 lane road each morning and afternoon going to and from work. I always wait for the walk signal and remain in the cross walk while crossing. Today I had someone sit and blow their horn at me because they were making a left, the arrow turns green at the same time the cross walk turns green, and they were miffed I was blocking their way.

On other days I have had turning cars pass close enough to me that I could reach out and touch their car.

Not sure about the rules in other states but in Georgia the rules for drivers are:
  • STOP when a pedestrian is in a crosswalk ANYWHERE on the driver’s side of the road
  • STOP when a pedestrian is in a crosswalk and is within 1 lane of coming onto the driver’s side of the road

So that means that while I am headed home and making my way across 5 of the lanes of traffic the cars are free to make their left turn but as soon as I make it to the 6th lane they need to stop and wait. In the morning the cars wanting to turn left, there are never any cars turning left in the morning, can not do so until I make it to the 3rd lane.

Seems simple to me but it is apparently very hard for most drivers.

We have some complicated rules, so it's not all uncommon to not know everything.

I do know that legally it's not one foot in the crosswalk means that no vehicle can enter the crosswalk at any point. That's a fairly common misconception. But anyone in the crosswalk must be yielded to, even if the light turned green for a driver. Also - anyone blind with a cane or guide dog is automatically allowed to be in a crosswalk at any time.

Another one around here is that if a vehicle in the same direction stops for a pedestrian, all other vehicles must stop. But of course I've seen some drivers blast by a car in the other lane and nearly run over a pedestrian. This is important because of a possible lack of visibility between the pedestrian and drivers.

Sounds like that intersection needs to have the lights redone so that the left turn light and walk light aren't on at the same time.
Here in California pedestrians have the right of way over turning cars, but I have never seen an intersection here with that kind of conflict between cars and pedestrians.

Sounds like that intersection needs to have the lights redone so that the left turn light and walk light aren't on at the same time.
Here in California pedestrians have the right of way over turning cars, but I have never seen an intersection here with that kind of conflict between cars and pedestrians.
This, exactly.

I’ll give pedestrians the right of way in the street the day my car has the right of way on the sidewalk, dagummit.

;)

It is not uncommon at all for the cross walk signal and left turn signals to be on the same schedule in Georgia.

Here is an example of the type of intersection I cross, mine just has many more lanes.
531px-Street_intersection_diagram.svg.png
In my case in the morning I am walking from the bottom to the top in the cross walk with the red box. Cars are free to turn left, represented by the red arrow, as soon as I walk into the part of the cross walk next to the turn only lane. In the afternoon when I am walking from top to bottom they are free to turn left until I enter the part of the cross walk next to the turn only lane. This is where the cars like to keep going and have come very close to brushing against me.

Agree with a couple people above that there should not be a protected left turn occurring while the crosswalk is giving a walk signal. I would be confused by that too as it's not how things are supposed to work.

It is not uncommon at all for the cross walk signal and left turn signals to be on the same schedule in Georgia.

Here is an example of the type of intersection I cross, mine just has many more lanes.
View attachment 477311
In my case in the morning I am walking from the bottom to the top in the cross walk with the red box. Cars are free to turn left, represented by the red arrow, as soon as I walk into the part of the cross walk next to the turn only lane. In the afternoon when I am walking from top to bottom they are free to turn left until I enter the part of the cross walk next to the turn only lane. This is where the cars like to keep going and have come very close to brushing against me.
Thanks, that is what I thought from your description. Now I think about it there are intersections like that in downtown and older areas of the city. I don't think cars are supposed to enter the intersection until all pedestrians have cleared the crosswalk. The minute a pedestrian steps off the curb on one side, until they step up on the curb on the other side, cars can't leave the turn lane pocket.

i am very respectful of people in crosswalks-it's just so seldom that i encounter them. the college town i primarily drive in seems devoid of anyone who uses the crosswalks; instead they whip out on foot, skateboard and electric scooters from sidewalks, grassed areas, parking lots....across as many as 4 lanes of traffic. that there are not more traffic accidents or serious injuries is amazing to me.

as for actual crosswalks with lights at intersections-ours are not timed to give pedestrians a head start over left turning traffic but there was talk in the larger metro area near us of changing the timing which i think both walkers and drivers would be supportive of.

Georgia allows left turn on flashing yellow so that may be causing the overlap of turning vehicles and crossing pedestrians the OP is experiencing.

View attachment 477311

No way your crosswalk has a walk signal and the left turns have solid green arrow. They can have a green ball or yellow flashing arrow which means they have to yield to on coming traffic or pedestrians. A solid green arrow means the cars don't have to yield.

All signals in the United States are operated in accordance with the guidance in the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). What you are describing is in direct violation with Section 4D.05.F.

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/2009r1r2/part4.pdf

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter