As a driver do you know the rules for pedestrians in cross walks?

I'd be contacting the people who set the light timers. This is totally unsafe to have the green arrow go when the crosswalk is also green.

But, in California, the pedestrian always wins, even if they are crossing in the middle of a block, not in a crosswalk.

This is common in downtown Boston. There are signs that say yield to pedestrians on turns but it doesn't stop drivers from honking at the pedestrians walking legally.

This reminds me of our trip to Toronto last week. Outside the CN Tower, there are signs by the crosswalk saying pedestrians must yield to traffic. So I was standing on the sidewalk, patiently waiting for cars to go by and waiting for an opening. Both times we crossed, traffic stopped for us. :confused3 So I jogged across the street while giving the "thanks" wave and DH said "why are you running?" I don't know, they were nice enough to stop, the least I can do is hurry across. :confused3:laughing:
Hats off to you! Most people first wouldn't wait patiently and 2nd would have just stepped off the curb and crossed the street with their head buried in their phone oblivious to the world.

I can't tell you how often I watch multiple cars in front of drive by someone in a crosswalk. I don't know if they don't see them or they just don't care. But from what I've been seeing more and more, many drivers hardly seem to take notice of other cars around, never mind pedestrians. It used to be something worth mentioning when an oncoming car came into my lane, for instance, now it happens multiple times per day. And don't get me started on the tailgating. Everyone is in a darn hurry and they're distracted, which is a scary combo, I'm afraid.

Oh we're playing bid a stop eh? George I can stop that car in 15 feet.
George, I can stop that car in 2 feet.
Stop that car.
I did a reaction test when I looked at these posts. 0.25 reaction time. So, I'm at 5.5 feet plus the amount of time it takes to decelerate from 15 mph after that 5.5 feet :D

This is common in downtown Boston. There are signs that say yield to pedestrians on turns but it doesn't stop drivers from honking at the pedestrians walking legally.
In fairness, everybody moving around Boston has the "me first!" attitude : ) including me. I will cross Stuart Street in the middle of the block, and Tremont (because at least there you only have to watch for traffic in one direction). And of course anywhere remotely near Downtown Crossing.
I can't tell you how often I watch multiple cars iYn front of drive by someone in a crosswalk. I don't know if they don't see them or they just don't care.
They just don't care. There's a "T" intersection up the street, with a flashing yellow on the main road, a flashing red on the side street, and a pretty instant walk light. I pressed the walk button, all lights turned red, and THREE cars ran the red light before i could cross. One came off the side street, and two turned onto it (one coming from each direction) after I had stepped into the crosswalk.

they just don't care.

”As a driver do you know the rules for pedestrians in cross walks?”

Well, for the “you” in the question, I believe it is addressed to all drivers.

The answer is “No” for too many of them.

The rule is give consideration to the people crossing the street in the crosswalk.

Why?

The heavy machine you are driving can kill them if you hit them, the law gives them the right of way (if they are not crossing against a red), and what the heck is your big rush anyway - it only takes seconds for them to cross.

The town I work in, recently passed the law that cars are required to stop for pedestrians wanting to cross the street at a crosswalk. They don't have to be in the cross walk, they can still be on the sidewalk and just be approaching the crosswalk and traffic has to stop to let them cross.

As a pedestrian I check license plates in certain parts of the city since some new to the city drivers do not know that "right on red" is against the law for all throughways except 2 that I can think of.
Better to be safe than sorry.

Extra cautious at pedestrian crosswalks as well as I've seen too many "I'm in a hurry" drivers.

In Washington State you have to yield to pedestrian in a crosswalk. It doesn't matter if it is a marked crosswalk or an unmarked crosswalk. The drivers still have to stop. Most drivers ignore the rules.

As a pedestrian I check license plates in certain parts of the city since some new to the city drivers do not know that "right on red" is against the law for all throughways except 2 that I can think of.
Better to be safe than sorry.

Extra cautious at pedestrian crosswalks as well as I've seen too many "I'm in a hurry" drivers.
That's one of the 2 worst parts about driving in a different state. Am I allowed to turn right on red? In PA, it will be marked with signage "no turn on red" at certain intersections that don't allow it.

The other is u-turn. Well, I guess it isn't a problem for me as u-turns aren't allowed in PA unless it's changed recently (I've noticed a lot of "no u-turn" signs outside of my home town lately that it got me wondering if the law changed as I don't understand the sign at some intersections when it's not allowed anywhere.) I still will make a left turn into a business parking lot to turn around even if I see everywhere people making u-turns during my travels. It's weird to me seeing people making u-turns at intersections outside of PA.

It's weird to me seeing people making u-turns at intersections outside of PA.

They pretty much have to allow U-Turns in Washington. They have found out that the two way left turn lanes are very dangerous leading to many collisions. They have replaced them with planted medians that prevent you from turning left into and out of business. Now you have to go to the next intersection and make a U-Turn.

Thanks, that is what I thought from your description. Now I think about it there are intersections like that in downtown and older areas of the city. I don't think cars are supposed to enter the intersection until all pedestrians have cleared the crosswalk. The minute a pedestrian steps off the curb on one side, until they step up on the curb on the other side, cars can't leave the turn lane pocket.
I have to disagree. It was debunked by the chp at a town hall meeting due to people holding up traffic. The only time I see this happening is with a right turn (unless no lights). You only have to wait until the pathway for your vehicle is clear if I waited for someone to walk across Madison (6 lanes) to the other sidewalk) to turn right, my light would turn red and people behind me would turn roadrage on me I can turn as soon as the ped has cleared the lane I am turning into

I have to disagree. It was debunked by the chp at a town hall meeting due to people holding up traffic. The only time I see this happening is with a right turn (unless no lights). You only have to wait until the pathway for your vehicle is clear if I waited for someone to walk across Madison (6 lanes) to the other sidewalk) to turn right, my light would turn red and people behind me would turn roadrage on me I can turn as soon as the ped has cleared the lane I am turning into
I can't speak to CHP, but we have done numerous stories on Sac PD stings on cross walks. Pedestrian steps off curb, car enters the cross walk, poof, they get a ticket. Not my station, but here is a story on it with Sacramento Police.

Some blatant violations there.

Easily could have turned tragic. Are these the same drivers that ignore school buses with red flashing lights and extended stop signs?

Yup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter