August - Are we insane?

Usually temps (only) go as high as the low 90's, then there's a storm. Plan for afternoon storms and you'll be fine.
Yeah..and that's exactly what I meant by people seeing the temps and thinking "oh that's not bad".

ETA: FWIW Accuweather has the average feels like for the OPs dates as 100-103 for a prediction for 2018. Feeling like low 90s is different than feeling like low 100s when adding in that humidity.

Our only time to go is summer or Christmas week, and we have family plans for Christmas. Spring Break has been shortened to just a long weekend for our local schools. We used to take the kids out of school and go in January (awesome time to go), but now our kids are in middle school and upper elementary school, so we will stick with the hot and busy times. We are celebrating my 50th and our youngest son's 10th birthday on our August trip. I do appreciate the advice here, and also hope the heat makes people want to avoid the parks so I can get a FoP FP, lol.

At least in August you know it will be hot, and can plan accordingly. I've gone in January and March, and both times it was below normal temps - super cold and we needed gloves/hat (frost warnings at night) during the day in January. March was cold too - had to buy warmer clothing while we were there, and the constant layer on/layer off was a pain in the butt. Also, I'd avoid fire season - smoky parks are not fun.

You'll be fine in August as long as you prepare. Since it's your son's bday, I think it is a great idea! Plan on early park mornings until early lunch 11:30?, naps/swimming after lunch, early dinner 4:00 or 4:30p?, and then once you're done with dinner, it's a more comfortable temperature and most people are eating because it's 5:30/6ish! Take multiple pairs of underwear, socks (if you wear socks) per day as well as a few extra t-shirts. If you're going for 5 nights/6 days (for example), I'd take 12 underwear/socks and at least 8 shirts. And know in advance you will absolutely not re-wear any clothes this trip.

At least in August you know it will be hot, and can plan accordingly. I've gone in January and March, and both times it was below normal temps - super cold and we needed gloves/hat (frost warnings at night) during the day in January. March was cold too - had to buy warmer clothing while we were there, and the constant layer on/layer off was a pain in the butt. Also, I'd avoid fire season - smoky parks are not fun.

I so agree with this statement. We've been in January twice and a one day visit in February. All three times it was too cold. 50s. Drizzle. And then a hot day mixed in. Hard to plan in advance = lots of extra clothes taken because you don't know! Our last January trip the kids wanted to go swimming so I was a shivering Olaf dreaming of summer that cloudy 60 degree day in the pool. ha!

We go the last week of August every year and honestly, I really love the heat. I find it so nice to know that I don't need to worry about packing anything other than shorts/skirts and t-shirts. No trying to figure out if I'm going to need a light sweater or jacket or having to start the day with warmer clothes and then taking layers off and having to carry them around.

That being said, it is hot, not going to lie. But, I find there are so many opportunities to get out of the heat at WDW that it seldom gets to the point where it really gets to me. Between indoor attractions/queuing areas, restaurants, shops, there is never a shortage of places to get a break from the heat.

My recommendations are - wear a hat! This is key, it blows my mind how many people walk around WDW in the summer with no hat. That is pretty much a one way ticket to heat stroke. Stay hydrated, just always have a water bottle handy to sip on. Take advantage of midday ADRs, you need to eat anyway so why not go for a nice table service meal. You'll get an hour built in break and cool down period.

It is hurricane season and in the last 7 trips we've done end of August, there has almost always been tropical activity to monitor. None of them have actually hit the Orlando area though (some have in the past, but very few). My concern with hurricanes is monitoring flights so I can get ahead of any flight cancellations. The closest I came was a few years back sitting in the airport waiting on our flight while a hurricane was hitting the keys and hearing the cancellations for all the southern Florida airports. Orlando was fine, we got in early and it wasn't even raining. It did rain pretty steady the next day, but no big deal really.

As for fastpasses being necessary. I say they are if saving some time in line is important to you. They are free, so there is really no risk in taking your best guess at the ones you'll want (and if you're not sure, book the hardest to get so that you have them). You can always change your mind later and move them around and for the most part you'll be okay (exceptions being rides like FOP, FEA, new Toy Story rides, etc...).

I've gone in January and March, and both times it was below normal temps - super cold and we needed gloves/hat (frost warnings at night)
Same with us for our only winter (Christmas) trip. we've gone 9 times total - 8 in the summer - and the only weather related issue we ever talk about was how cold it was in December.

We are going in August too, call us insane as well. ;) We have been in May, Sept, and October and honestly, they were all hot. :lmao: They said that May was unseasonably warm. Like others have said, we will plan for it. We will take breaks, stay hydrated, have pool time. Its vacation; we don't have to go go go the entire time. We will pack light, enjoy the midday rains if we are lucky enough to get any, and go from there. We lived in Utah for 24 years and in the summers we would get a few weeks of 100+ weather; that dry heat sucked my soul dry; I will take humid any day! LOL!

What every one else said. I went last year with two young kids and it was ok. I wouldn't do it again if I had other options, but we got a free dining trip to Coronado and it was awesome. I'd do it again if the money was right.

Drink lots of water, take it easy and enjoy your time. It's just hot from 8AM to 9PM.

This assessment as to crowds is very outdated. It used to be the case that August was crowded, but the last two years August has been seen some of the lowest crowds in the year (we have seen this widely reported by various reputable blogs, as well as having personal experience from visiting the both summer 2016 and 2017). If the 2018 August hotel rates (deeply discounted) and restaurant availability (widely available; I booked CRT, BOG, and pretty much every character meal just a couple months in advance) is any indication, I have my fingers crossed for another quiet August this year when we go.

Yes it is hot and humid, and yes, bring ponchos for the 20 minute rains every afternoon. Only you know how much heat affects you. It never bothered me, but I grew up in a hot climate. There are so many air conditioned rides and shows; the only time we spend outdoors is walking between attractions.

Definitely get advance fastpasses. Why wouldn't you? It is an included benefit with your ticket/package, and who doesn't like riding rides without a wait?
I totally agree with with crowds being lower in August. We went in 2015 and loved it! Was it hot, sure it's Florida. I was also 6 months pregnant. We just did park in the morning and night. Did swimming midday or rested. It was wonderful. We are going back mid August this year and can't wait. Planning is key!

This is our second August trip and to be completely honest we've been in May, June and September too and there's only a few degrees difference between the temps during each of those months. So in other words barely noticeable enough to warrant to cancel a trip to celebrate your son's birthday. It usually rains in the afternoon and unlike what most people claim it doesn't cool down the park - it's August so right after the rain it becomes more humid and steamy, so wear a ponytail. We'll be there August 19-28 and I made our ADR's around the 180 day mark and was able to get just about everything we wanted the first time around - there were two I had to fight for but eventually I was able to grab those as well. Our FP+ window opened up this morning and I was able to get everything we wanted including the coveted Flight of Passage in Animal Kingdom, and Slinky Dog for Toy Story Land in Hollywood Studios. Only, one I couldn't get was Frozen Ever After in Epcot.

Personally, I love the parks at night/dusk. I love Disney Springs at dusk/night the most. Going in the summer means less "night" time because the days are longer! I have young kids that can't make it past 9 oclock for the most part and have to be woken up for fireworks.

I just laugh at all the folks who tell other folks that's they should avoid Disney World in the summer because it's hot. Yes, I live in Florida and am used to the weather, but I didn't always. For years I lived in New England and would take summer vacation in Orlando in July/August. Is it hot? Yes. Does that in any way have to mean you don't have an awesome time? Absolutely not. We might sweat at 94 degrees, but I'm pretty sure we don't start melting yet. Take some sunscreen, a water bottle, and a towel for your resort pool or Typhoon Lagoon/Blizzard Beach.

Meh. I avoid spending more than an hour outdoors in Chicago when it hits the 80s. You can laugh if you want, but some people just can't handle the heat. I personally get super dizzy and feel miserable. There are ways to alleviate those feeling, but if I CAN avoid it, I do.

We're from NY and have done late August trips in the past. We're actually going again, this August coming up. We we're nervous at first, but wound up pleasantly surprised. It was hot, but didn't seem any hotter than any other summer day. We found that it rained in the early evenings which created a nice breeze. I wouldn't say August is the absolute best time of year to go, however if you do it right by allowing for pool time and restaurant time, it's not bad at all. If it was, we wouldn't be going.

We went last August during the same time period. We are going again next week. Yes, it is hot and yes, it is humid. But, that did not deter our experience one bit, chiefly because that is the time frame we were able to go, we had an amazing vacation package, and were prepared for the heat. My concern for you is more of whether you will get FPs that you want, as I think that helps us to have a better time when we get to the parks relatively early (not necessarily rope drop), and then take a break, then hop to another park where we use FPs. Also, as an aside, I did not find the crowds to be unbearable last August. I have had a tougher time at Christmas time.

I guess what I am trying to say is this: if your family has decided that that is the timeframe you are able to go to Disney, see what packages you can find. If it continues to make sense, go ahead and book the package...then scour the boards for hints on how to deal with the heat. I do not necessarily think that it is unbearable or a deal breaker. Managing expectations is the key to any nice vacation. If, going in, you know it will be Hades hot, like walking on the sun hot, then you can go from there. Drinking lots of water, taking breaks, enjoying the pool, taking in a show, eating a nice cold treat, slowing it down to ride the train around the park, perusing shops or countries in the World Showcase. Your Disney trip is what you make of it, regardless of the weather...seriously.

I hope you get the chance to go and have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter