BACK AGAIN?? 10 NIGHTS SAPPHIRE FALLS.....MAY 18 TRIP REPORT

I second the botanical gardens- then a walk to Arthur Ave for a meal and dessert!

I love doing walking tours as well. There is so much history about the neighborhoods and I find it all very interesting.

Sipping anything on vacation watching the world go by sounds great too!

Since you love architectural details, I have heard great things about this private architecture tour

http://www.newyorkarttours.com/newy...rrily_kerr_NY_architecture_tours_downtown.htm

And if you have never made it to the Botanical garden in the Bronx, it is wonderful. You can catch a direct train from Central station.

The Tavern in the green patio is the best for sipping anything.

We do plan to visit the Tavern on the Green this time.......it looks beautiful and we’ve missed going every time, so looking forward to enjoying a prosecco or two there.........

I second the botanical gardens- then a walk to Arthur Ave for a meal and dessert!

I love doing walking tours as well. There is so much history about the neighborhoods and I find it all very interesting.

Sipping anything on vacation watching the world go by sounds great too!

The history of the city is fascinating, and yep, each neighbourhood has so many tales to tell........

And definitely looking forward to an adult beverage or two.........:D

Last time there, we had the most glorious dinner at Tavern in the Green. You can reserve through open table and specify outdoor seating. Aim for 7:30 arrival in bar and 8 for dinner and it will get dark while you linger. The little twinkle lights are spectacular.

Last time there, we had the most glorious dinner at Tavern in the Green. You can reserve through open table and specify outdoor seating. Aim for 7:30 arrival in bar and 8 for dinner and it will get dark while you linger. The little twinkle lights are spectacular.

It does sound lovely. I think we will likely eat lunch there though.

It gets amazing reviews for food and service, family we have enjoy trips there when they come into the city.

SUNDAY MAY 20TH...………

Last full day...……..

As usual on our last day or so we don't usually do much. And today would be no different.

This year it is different on our last days, usually as I said in the last trip report, we are incredibly sad as we have to wait a year till we come back......not so anymore. So, we don't have that impending sadness of not seeing this beautiful place for a long time.

My ipad pings as I am slowly wakening and I see it is from our friend, so I am now wide awake despite feeling this was going to be a sluggish start to the day...….I reply immediately and now decide I will just get up and get ready.

Tom already has the drapes pulled back and yes, it`s raining.....heavy. We had thought we might head to Clearwater for a few hours today, it had been a while since we had been on the beach, but with this weather, no probably not. We had already decided to have a leisurely day doing not very much...…..such was the joy of not having to rush around and cram a million things into our trips.

But, it did look miserable outside...……..

We had arranged to meet a friend over at RP for breakfast in the Club Lounge, which was ideal to say goodbye to some of the staff there too. We were indeed very privileged to have been given Club Access at RP, and we hadn't abused that privilege in any way. But, were looking forward to eating there this morning.

So, once we were all showered, dressed and ready to go we made the short walk over to RP through the ballroom and convention areas...….always a nice walk and of course sheltered from the rain that was still coming down. As we walked though the lobby, Tom was almost hit by the "narcissist stick"...…...honestly......selfie sticks have to be the most ridiculous things ever...…...and the way some people wave them around they seem to forget there are others around...…...she apologized of course, but continued to wave it around after we passed. Don't think I`ve ever had the desire to have one of these......and we take a lot of pictures!!!!!

Once there we contacted said friend and they were busy so we would meet after breakfast......that was ok by us. So, we got in the elevator and headed up to the 7th floor to eat......I was of course by now starving...…..:D

Club Lounge is fairly quiet of course it is fairly early...…...but we see some of the staff and have a catch up. The two we really wanted to see were on tonight, so that settled our plans for later......we would come back over as we had some gifts for them...….mainly chocolate from the UK that we know they love. Little Ashley is the first one we see......she is so lovely...….a very genuine young lady, we hadn't seen her this visit, so we were glad she was here today.

For now we get coffee and some nice mini muffins and little pastries...…..I think Tom had his usual croissant with honey...…..I hate honey but he loves it, although I do love honey mustard dressing and can take in with lemon and ginger if I have a sore throat coming on. But, eating it straight is a little yuk for me...….

i-nKnWMM4-XL.jpg

i-SSNVg7X-XL.jpg

We are so comfortable here...….much as though we adore Sapphire this is nice. We know so many people here and although like all hotels, lots of staff changes are inevitable, but there are a few who have been here for a long time. And some we have only known a short time, but feel like we`ve known them forever.

It was still raining.

i-F8js4QH-XL.jpg

We finish eating and say goodbye to the staff that are working, and leave a message for the two guys we will see them later. Then head down to meet another friend who was now free.

Love this view from the elevator window...……..even on a dull rainy day.

i-N9RLdKM-XL.jpg

We spend the next hour or so chatting and having a good old catch up with our friend. Always nice. I don't mean to be evasive or mysterious, but some folks don't want to all over the internet......so those folks I keep private.

Now we see it`s still raining as we head back over to Sapphire...…...I have managed to get through the whole week without an umbrella......but as we reach the Universal store in Sapphire`s lobby, I decide I`d better by one today. I don't choose the big golf style, but opt for the smaller telescopic one...….it`ll do the trick. Of course it had Universal on it, so maybe not one I`d use at home......will keep it in the suitcase for our trips now......just in case...…..

As Clearwater was out of the question now, we headed to Mall at Millenia...…..always a pleasure to be there...…..

We were a little early...…..some of the stores don't open till midday, and it was a bit before that by now...….although we weren't planning to make any larger purchases today, it was still nice to look and give me some ideas for future trip purchases...…..:rolleyes1

Tom just smiles when I say that. What a guy......I knew the minute I met him he was a keeper...……:hug: He has the patience of a saint with me...…..and of course folks now ask how we enjoy spending all our time together now he has taken early retirement......answer is simple, we love it!!!!! We never tire of spending time together and never have a cross word......unless I moan about his sci fi channel watching or too much of Star Wars/Trek...……....his answer to that is always the same now...……....well, Alice (AngryDuck) wouldn't complain about me watching these...….:rotfl::rotfl: Probably very true...…….

i-VFZVV3m-XL.jpg

i-hvBnbhz-XL.jpg

i-pCJgnZc-XL.jpg

We do have a look in the window of LV and promise we`ll come back next visit to see if I can see something I really want. But for today we wander around and have a look in a few stores like Williams and Sonoma, Pottery Barn (love it) and then down to Macy...…..I see loads of stuff today I could buy, especially bedding......but, again, I have to consider getting it back to the UK!!!!

We pick up a few smaller items and then head back to the car...….we really could spend a lot longer here today, but we had a couple of other places we wanted to visit......….it is the nicest of Malls and certainly the nicest in Orlando.

It seemed ages since breakfast now, as we had eaten fairly early...….so we had a quick think of where we could head for lunch and decided on Red Lobster down by the convention centre. That is somewhere we both love...…..

As we head down towards I Drive we see the new Universal hotel being built where Wet & Wild once stood...…..we had watched this landscape change over the last year or so beyond recognition...….and once the hotels are up and running it`ll feel like they've always been there...…..

i-9nvMqzd-XL.jpg

i-c6nJkgB-XL.jpg

I like how you can see the designs being embedded on the side...….it`ll be lovely when it`s completed and a welcome addition to an area that needs a massive revamp.

Further along of course, the newest addition on I Drive Eye complex is the StarFlyer……….:scared1: No way would I go on this...…..don't think Tom would either unless he goes on with Kyle in December......although as a mum I have already expressed a preference he won`t go on it...…..::yes:: I don't think he`ll listen to me though......he`s a real thrill seeker and I`m sure would enjoy it...….so Tom night just have to go on with him...…..

We had seen them testing this at various stages...…..mainly without the seats on them......we had seen them just climbing and falling with no round about movement but to see them in full sail so to speak...…...it was quite a sight. But, no...….not for me.

i-M5Wx9hT-XL.jpg

i-5kBrjkC-XL.jpg

Red Lobster we use is right down by the Convention Centre. It`s quite the best one we have frequented and continue to pass another in favour of this one...….standards just seem a lot higher, and staff are certainly friendlier too.

It`s already filling up and seems very popular with families which is nice to see.

We get a table by the window, although not much of a view today...…….we know this menu off by heart but occasionally they have specials and new additions.....and today we see they have indeed a couple of new choices.

If you like cheap and cheerful but good quality seafood this is the place to come. We love seafood and have eaten in higher end places a lot, but still enjoy coming here...…..

Even though it`s only lunchtime I decide to order my favourite Lobsterita cocktail...…...it is huge!!!! But, very fruity and refreshing...…..Tom as the driver today (as usual) opts for the pink lemonade.

i-FvSMG4B-XL.jpg

i-fKsgT4f-XL.jpg

I love this cocktail!!!!! And the family beside us notice it and whisper rather loudly...….how can she drink that!!!!! Watch me!!!!

A glance through the menu and we have our appetizers…...I choose the plain and simple shrimp cocktail and Tom is delighted to see a clam chowder on the menu. He has loved this since he first tried in the restaurant in Celebration and was keen to try this version...…...I find any kind of soup too filling before a meal so very rarely if ever order anything like that. I will of course have a taste...…….

He brings our gorgeous and very tempting cheese biscuits...…..it is hard to not fill up on these!!! But, we manage to only eat one each...….and we both get the same salad too today...………

i-DHvzGVk-XL.jpg

i-cBmHNTw-XL.jpg

i-Fr5JMp5-XL.jpg

i-sDKtwNL-XL.jpg

My shrimp was delicious. No doubt, and the size of them is a delight...…..they are very succulent and of course very fresh. Tom is blown away by the chowder......it is chock full of clams and has no potato which was my complaint about the other place...….too much potato and not enough clam. But, this was beautiful, for what is a chain restaurant. Very creamy and full of flavor. I could order that easily if I wasn't having a huge main meal.

For our entrees we had chosen something a little different to what we usually get here...…..normally we have some kind of snow crab and a lot of it...….but they had a couple of dishes that caught our eye...…..I went for the Tilapia and shrimp, roasted with chili-lime butter and caramelized pineapple and then jalapeños were added...…..I asked for no rice and got a little extra greedy and asked for the langoustine mash.

Tom chose the Dragon Shrimp which was crispy fried shrimp and broccoli in a sweet chili sauce, fried chili peppers and green onions. Sadly it wasn't anywhere near as spicy as they claimed.

i-bW2j4zW-XL.jpg

i-S8kBBTN-XL.jpg

I think my meal was the nicest out of the two. The tilapia was perfectly cooked and tasty........I really enjoyed it, although did have to request the potato as he forgot. I do have to say it was a bit of a disappointment. It was regular mash, which was lovely, but they had just sat a couple of pieces of langoustine on top.......I hadn't expected a huge amount, but as he had forgotten it, it just looked like an afterthought. But, tasted fine.

Tom`s was not spicy. Not even close. So if you see it on the menu and the word spicy makes you wary.......don't worry, it`s very tame.......

We had enjoyed the meal though, we always do down here and we felt quite full now. It was rather a lot for lunch I suppose. But we didn't plan on having a huge dinner. He was a little pushy in trying to get us to order dessert. We couldn't and didn`t want dessert anyway, but I don't like when they are too pushy.

Check paid we left the now full restaurant. There was around 20 people waiting for a table and the first family were glad to see us leave.

We head to the outlets at the top of I Drive. Rain was diminishing slightly and it was a little more pleasant to be out in it. We wandered around for a little while and didn't see anything we wanted to buy. Except some items from Bath and Body......mainly for friends as I had totally forgotten to get some things for them.......oops!!!! Then we wandered down to Bed Bath and Beyond........love that store!!!! Managed to pick up a few things in here although right now I cannot for the life of me remember what it was!!!!

We had enjoyed our relaxing day so far and again remarked how we loved not having to rush around and cram loads in.

Back to the hotel and we discover another email from our friend who knows we are checking out tomorrow and tells us the computer system will be going down tonight and not back online till after we check out tomorrow.......so we head down and ask if we can clear the whole bill today including tonight`s stay due to the system. He is fairly new, but after speaking to someone who knows us, manages to get it done. So, that's us sorted.

We go back up to our room and get showered and changed again........

Now we head over to RP again.......yep, that walk again.......I comment we should get little golf buggies to get us back and forward.......how lazy is that!!!!

Straight up to Club Lounge and we laughingly get "our usual" table........we chat as usual as there are some lovely TM on tonight......one of them is promising to make us a gorgeous sangria when we come back.......look forward to that!!!!!

We have some wine as we plan to be here for a couple of hours.

i-rT7swZ5-XL.jpg

i-zg9ZVzd-XL.jpg

We did indeed sit for a few hours, spoke to Andy who is just wonderful...….I forget sometime how young they are as they have such professional and incredibly friendly natures...…..and will do well in their chosen careers. It`s such a delight to see them grow and thrive in this environment before they head to options further afield. I was sorry we had missed chatting properly to Elida this morning, she is a dark haired version of my niece, so I have a genuine extra soft spot for her because of this, but she is such a lovely girl. And Andy is an absolute delight who has an incredible nature, and very, very clever. I may sound over the top, but you begin to feel a little protective of them as my son is a similar age to most of them. I guess maternal instincts don't stop. She was just leaving as we came in.

Samuel who we are also over to see comes up not long after we are in. He brings up another front desk supervisor we have known a few years......again, lovely people. And we chat for ages, before sadly she has to go back downstairs.

We sit till around 8pm, it gets so quiet after the alcohol stops being served, so we have a lull where we can chat properly and we leave before the dessert service begins. We say our goodbyes and have a hug before heading down to Orchids Lounge for sushi...…..

We love Orchids Lounge. We enjoy good sushi and this place has some of the nicest around...…..good quality and a nice relaxed environment in which to enjoy it in.

During the day you often see folks sitting and passing the time away...….and in the evenings, it becomes a friendly bar and restaurant. If you don't like sushi you can order several options from a smaller menu, all of the other food choices comes from Jake`s downstairs.

Tonight it is busy. It is most nights, but with the weather folks have been drawn in rather than go out and face the rain.

We don't get a big comfy chair tonight so we get seated at the higher seats which may be better for eating......it has been a while since we have seen it this busy, and it is rather loud tonight. But, we order a bottle of red wine and tell her we`ll order food soon...….we do like to take our time and check the menu out, although we do tend to order the same 3 dishes...….we can be very predictable at times...…...but, they are spicy and we know we like them...…..

We sit for maybe an hour or so and just chat about everything and anything...…..then we decide to order our usual 2 dishes...…...we opt for the Mexican which is very spicy as it has real jalapeno in it, and the Dynamite which isn't so spicy, but very tasty.

i-PRrpPdj-XL.jpg

We love these dishes!!!! Unbelievably fresh and we have been to a few sushi places around, but this one still seems to come out on top. There was one sushi restaurant we hadn't tried yet, but we would hopefully change that soon. I always get the pickled ginger just for me as Tom doesn't like this at all...….I don't mind as I love it!!!! He also doesn't take much of the wasabi......although to be fair neither do I....it is hot!!!

We pass the rest of the night away and eventually we are tired. I hate to leave this place and walk back to Sapphire as it means this is our last night here......but, we do walk back and are tempted by going into StrongWater one last time...….but, we are full and ready for bed.

Once we are in the room we admire it again and decide it is so cosy at night...…...we have truly loved this suite and were very privileged to be in it for our stay...….we would be so sad to leave this.

We look at our suitcases and decide to leave packing till the morning...….we do have a few bits already in there, but tomorrow would be fine.

And for our last night we climb into our very comfortable bed.

Nice that you ended your last night there with a bang!

Always a fun read for your trip reports!
♥️them

Thanks mac........

I’m so glad you enjoyed reading this one.........

Final day tomorrow and we did manage a couple of pictures.......shouldn’t take much longer to finish!

Always like to get them done without dragging on too long........

I love Red Lobster, we may go for dinner today!

Sorry it was raining your last day, however, you made the best of it!

The sushi looks yummy, Andi and I love some good sushi!

I love Red Lobster, we may go for dinner today!

Sorry it was raining your last day, however, you made the best of it!

The sushi looks yummy, Andi and I love some good sushi!

Now I’m jealous!!!

We had shrimp skewers earlier and they weren’t as large as the ones above..........felt very deprived......lol......

Oh the sushi from there is excellent! I’m sure you’d both love it.........yep, you just have to make the most of the weather whatever it is.........

We can have fun anywhere.........::yes::

EEEK on the Star Flyer! I don't think I could even watch that in motion much less get on it!

Red Lobster is one of our favorite local places. We also like Bonefish for seafood.

We went to Walgreen's by UO and took a close look at the new hotels and saw the designs on the building like you said. It's going to look very nice!

Another Red Lobster lover here especially during endless shrimp time....I could eat my weight in shrimp.

No way in heck would I ever go on that flyer ride :scared1:

I'm going to make time to get sushi at Orchid this trip. It looks so delicious.

Thanks for making me hungry again :flower1:

EEEK on the Star Flyer! I don't think I could even watch that in motion much less get on it!

Red Lobster is one of our favorite local places. We also like Bonefish for seafood.

We went to Walgreen's by UO and took a close look at the new hotels and saw the designs on the building like you said. It's going to look very nice!

It does look scary. One of my friends husband went on it a few days ago.......it was breezy so he felt he was swaying as well as spinning........he loved it though. Not for me.

Haven’t been to Bonefish for a long....long time. Didn’t have the best experience but they didn’t deal with the problem very well, so it’s off our list........Oceannaire is fabulous for seafood as is Big Fin Seafood!

Another Red Lobster lover here especially during endless shrimp time....I could eat my weight in shrimp.

No way in heck would I ever go on that flyer ride :scared1:

I'm going to make time to get sushi at Orchid this trip. It looks so delicious.

Thanks for making me hungry again :flower1:

Lol.........me too Vicki!!! Shrimp is one of my favourite foods and yep.......I could make myself ill filling up on shrimp and seafood! Although when we did get endless shrimp once the waitress told us we were lightweights.........:rotfl:we didn’t eat as much as we thought we would........we just love food!!! And the reason I’ve gained 10lbs!!! :rolleyes1

Nope, I wouldn’t go on that for love nor money........I’m dreading watching Kyle go on it in December!!! Actually, I won’t be watching him......you know me........::yes::

Oh you should try Orchids! Lovely...........

My teenage daughter would love that spinner, but I don't think I could watch her on it or even know that she was going on it. !

I have another question for you, if you don't mind. I think you've said that you don't really pay attention to drink prices, but I'm not used to those kinds of prices. Do you know if there's anywhere onsite (resorts, CityWalk, or parks) that offers happy hour deals or lower prices and wouldn't require me to sit at a non-kid-friendly bar with my kids sipping their cups of ice water. (We do actually like Florida water, but we're used to bad tap water.) This may make me sound cheap, but I try to cut costs on some things so that we can splurge on others. :)

LOL -- well, first, I've been hanging a lot with Davy and got behind on reading this. Then, I first copied this:
i-LF266JD-XL.jpg

so I could say: <3 <3 <3

THEN, I saw this:
.unless I moan about his sci fi channel watching or too much of Star Wars/Trek...……....his answer to that is always the same now...……....well, Alice (AngryDuck) wouldn't complain about me watching these...….:rotfl::rotfl: Probably very true...…….
BAWAHAHAHA! I'm actually READING Star Wars: The Last Jedi right now. Will probably watch one of them again tonight! Tom and I are for sure soulmates!

My teenage daughter would love that spinner, but I don't think I could watch her on it or even know that she was going on it. !

I have another question for you, if you don't mind. I think you've said that you don't really pay attention to drink prices, but I'm not used to those kinds of prices. Do you know if there's anywhere onsite (resorts, CityWalk, or parks) that offers happy hour deals or lower prices and wouldn't require me to sit at a non-kid-friendly bar with my kids sipping their cups of ice water. (We do actually like Florida water, but we're used to bad tap water.) This may make me sound cheap, but I try to cut costs on some things so that we can splurge on others. :)

Based on personal experiences, Bula Bar at rpr pool area has the discounted drinks from either 4 or 5:00 to
about 7 pm

I take full advantage of it

I believe the other hotels do similar deals

It looks terrifying!! But, yep, teens and adventure seekers will love it.......guess I’m not as big an adrenaline seeker as I thought.......lol........

Doesn’t make you sound cheap at all.......who doesn’t love happy hour ::yes::

There is a thread with a list of happy hour places.......will try and find it for you, but not sure how up to date it is.......

As Mac says, most of the hotel bars will have some kind of happy hour and I’m sure the places in Citywalk have the same.......

Will get back to you on the happy hour thread!

LOL -- well, first, I've been hanging a lot with Davy and got behind on reading this. Then, I first copied this:
i-LF266JD-XL.jpg

so I could say: <3 <3 <3

THEN, I saw this:
BAWAHAHAHA! I'm actually READING Star Wars: The Last Jedi right now. Will probably watch one of them again tonight! Tom and I are for sure soulmates!

I’m laughing right now!!!! Reading Star Wars???? Now, you know I love books like you do......but, I tried to read war and peace once.........couldn’t even make a dent in it.........that’s what I’d be like with SW books!! Although I now have a Christmas present idea..........never thought about getting him the books........now he’s a gentleman of leisure he’ll have the time to read them!!

You need to book a trip to see Star Wars at Disney when it opens and I’ll send Tom along with you and Davy........doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest........but you all would have a blast!! ::yes::

Based on personal experiences, Bula Bar at rpr pool area has the discounted drinks from either 4 or 5:00 to
about 7 pm

I take full advantage of it

I believe the other hotels do similar deals

I don’t think I’ve ever been able to take advantage of Bula bar happy hour.........

I think we got discounted drinks in Margaritaville once........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter