Be Our Guest - do you prefer lunch or dinner?

hllb

DIS Veteran
We are going in January. No one is a huge Beauty and the Beast fan, but I've had lunch here before and really enjoyed the food. I have both lunch reservations for two days, and a dinner reservation for 1 day. If we do the dinner, we won't eat lunch there on that day, but I'm debating on if we should do the dinner at all.

We have 3 kids, ages 7, 13, and 14. So two of them count as adults. Neither of them are big 'eat a slab of meat' kids so I'm not sure they'd enjoy the menu for dinner as much as the lunch menu. They would typically order a burger or a pasta dish at most restaurants. If we go there, I assume they would both order the chicken dish, which doesn't look very exciting. It's too bad they no longer have the pork that was served with macaroni and cheese.

Anyway, my options are to keep our dinner reservation there, or do a later reservation at California Grill and watch the fireworks from there. Which would you choose? How is the food for dinner there? We are going at the end of January, so I'm not sure if the menu might change before we go.

I actually posed a similar question recently

https://www.disboards.com/threads/sell-me-on-bog-dinner-or-is-just-lunch-ok.3623207/

We did lunch a few years ago and this trip will be with my DD4 and grandparents. I think for the cost and time usage we can get a similar experience going for lunch. I also felt that lunch was little more relaxed and we actually poked around walking in the rooms we didn't get to see and were able to take pictures. I would think for a dinner reservation it would be a little more frowned upon to poke around.

I think with the new fireworks show (i still haven't seen it yet) make sure you catch it at least once in the park -- it seems there is a lot of projection that you will not be able to appreciate from the cali grill. You could also consider the wave and then go back to the park for HEA. So many variations and possibilities

We have only been once and it was for dinner but we really enjoyed it. My 13 year old twins didn't care for the adult menu and had no problem ordering off the kids menu if that helps you at all.

Haven't had dinner there but I see more positive comments about the dinner over lunch. We've had lunch there twice and we're all done with BOG.

Much prefer lunch over dinner. The braised pork is very good, it's reasonably priced, and it's quick in and out with pre-ordering. The only drawbacks to lunch are the noise, and the fact that people just wander around like it's an attraction. Last year, we were seated next to the rose in the west wing, and I actually had a lady ask me if I would move while I was eating so I wouldn't be in their picture. I told her to....well, I'm probably not allowed to repeat what I told her. It seems like people lose their dang minds in that place for some reason.

My husband - lunch
My oldest daughter - dinner
My youngest daughter - lunch
Me - breakfast - which is more about getting in the park early than the food

California Grill beats BOG with a very large stick for all 4 of us.

We love dinner and lunch equally and for different reasons. :-)
At dinner, we love the steak, the ratatouille (great for vegetarians) and getting a picture with Beast.
At lunch, we love the braised pork, soup and several of the sandwiches...ALL better than other options in the park of burgers/chicken nuggets.

We love dinner and lunch equally and for different reasons. :-)
At dinner, we love the steak, the ratatouille (great for vegetarians) and getting a picture with Beast.
At lunch, we love the braised pork, soup and several of the sandwiches...ALL better than other options in the park of burgers/chicken nuggets.

So, sorry for the teeny post hijack, but I see the last sentence uttered quite a bit, and having been to Disney only once and almost 20 years ago and having virtually no memory of it... And my planning this time around... I don't see only burgers/chicken nuggets.... looking at the menus I see quite varied food choices and only really see chicken nugs listed on kids menus... is being there in person walking around show you all those type places and I am just not looking for them online because I like to eat...not that? Because I just don't see those options in abundance in my research. ?

So, sorry for the teeny post hijack, but I see the last sentence uttered quite a bit, and having been to Disney only once and almost 20 years ago and having virtually no memory of it... And my planning this time around... I don't see only burgers/chicken nuggets.... looking at the menus I see quite varied food choices and only really see chicken nugs listed on kids menus... is being there in person walking around show you all those type places and I am just not looking for them online because I like to eat...not that? Because I just don't see those options in abundance in my research. ?

No, not really. I just chose not to list out a whole bunch of things when you get the picture with what I said. There are plenty of other quick service places with tons of choices. No worries. :D

Another family of lunch lovers here. We found dinner overpriced and the quality just wasn't there. Lunch on the other hand is a great way to see the castle and enjoy a reasonably priced, high quality lunch. Favs of ours are the nicoise salad, french dip, and french onion soup

I've done both and prefer dinner. Lunch was great...the food was good and the service was quick, but it just felt too chaotic to me and I felt a little rushed. Dinner was pricier, but the food and service were fantastic and I never once felt rushed, even though I was solo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter