Best DCL solo tips?

I took a cruise with just the kids and booked brunch by myself in Palo. It was amazing and I would highly recommend it.

Thanks, everyone! This tips/tricks really help. I'm still nervous about dining alone, but that's a fear I'm just going to have to conquer. Next question is, which cruise am I going to book?

Traveling & Dining solo isn't for everyone, but it's not as awkward or scary as some might think. I'm used to it (still waiting for my Prince Charming to make an appearance - wish he'd hurry up already), but what I have found to take a bit of the nervousness of dining solo is I bring a book with me (love to read). It's either a fictional book or a travel guide. I really enjoyed the restaurants on the Disney Fantasy & looking forward to the one's on the Disney Dream. I'm sure you'll have a "Magical" time!!:sail:pirate:

OH! You really CAN request a private table just for one person? Wow! Oh that would be perfect. Do I just call DCL to request? Seriously, I would bring a book and be a happy clam. I don't really want to HAVE to make conversation, although I can.

I am older now and I do believe if I was with the Boy Twins I would say "I won't be eating here again because the two of you are SO very rude!"

Took a cross country train a couple of years ago from Chicago to Seattle and Amtrak always seats you with people you don't know - mostly due to space - and it was hit or miss. One night was the same, no one even talked to me (4 people per table) but at breakfast the next day I was with two guys (also solo travelers) from Australia and we talked until they finally had to set the table up for lunch. A WONDERFUL still memorable conversation. Guess you never know.

Thanks for the tip!

Absolutely! I requested one on my Disney Fantasy cruise a few years ago and requested it again for my upcoming trip. I just called DCL and asked them to add it to my reservation.

Traveling & Dining solo isn't for everyone, but it's not as awkward or scary as some might think. I'm used to it (still waiting for my Prince Charming to make an appearance - wish he'd hurry up already), but what I have found to take a bit of the nervousness of dining solo is I bring a book with me (love to read). It's either a fictional book or a travel guide.
I eat out alone a lot and bring a book with me everywhere. I found this great thing called a "book bone" (I got mine at a gift shop in Ashland, Oregon but they're available on Amazon) that's a weight to hold the book open flat. It's a perfect little tool to use while eating and reading at the same time. I get questions about it all the time from other diners.

Whether to request a solo table or chance the tablemate assignments DCL will give you is often a topic of long discussion around here--but the answer really boils down to "it could be good or it could be bad." No way to know until you get there. On my solo cruise I took the plunge and let them seat me with whom they would, and I ended up dining with an older gentleman who was on the cruise to visit a relative who worked on the ship and who occasionally joined us. Both of them were wonderful company and I have them as Facebook friends now. Separate from that, I met another solo traveler, a woman, with whom I would sit at Bingo--she was on main dining and had a table to herself despite not requesting it, so I suspect that if I hadn't been on late dining I would have been seated with her instead of the gentleman, and I obviously liked her well enough to adopt her as a Bingo buddy, so that would have been fine as well.

Yet despite my experience having been entirely positive, I already know that I'll still waffle about whether to request a solo table on my next cruise, and I honestly don't know if the answer is yes or no. It's nice to not have to make conversation, and it's nice not to have to stress out about who you're going to end up with...but it can also be nice to meet new people. :confused3 You can change tables after the first night if it's intolerable, but you might end up missing a menu if they have to change your rotation to accommodate you.

I mostly travel solo and love it. I supposed it's a bit selfish but it's so wonderful to do just what you want when you want. If the museum exhibit is boring to you, you can leave? If you want to just sit at Pret A Manger for 3 hours and read a book, you don't have to apologize to anyone. Nap in the afternoon? Why not?

Here's a question for solo travelers. Are you going solo because you simply want to de stress? Or you can't find anyone 'good' to go with? I learned long ago when Jean Koldys dropped out of our trip to Scotland in high school that you can't sit around waiting for someone to go with. I'm GLAD now she didn't come! It was the BEST TRIP EVER!!!

For a couple of reasons. I love traveling with my housemate, but our financial priorities don't always line up--I'm more invested in Disney vacations in general than she seems to be, I'm willing to shell out for them more often, and I actually see my Disney travel as tying in to larger personal goals (I'm on track to visit all the Disney parks in the world by 2026, and in 2020 I'm planning to run my first-ever marathon at WDW Marathon Weekend). We had a great time in Disneyland together and we're definitely going to at least do WDW together at some point, but she has other priorities for her time and money and we don't begrudge each other our diverging interests. And, too, I do like occasionally traveling alone for its own sake. Sometimes I do just want to go somewhere and not worry about pleasing anyone but myself.

It's funny but over the years I have found that some people can't stand to go to the movies alone (that's fine if not preferable to me) and then there's some people who don't like to eat alone! But it seems like it's usually one or the other. It's true that no one is really looking at you, they are looking at their food! That said, I'm going to eat at Cabanas. Smaller place, table service. With the main dining rooms, for ME, it just takes SO long! Otherwise a book or a magazine for company is fine with me.

I didn't sign up for Palo anything. Mostly because I looked at the menu and didn't see anything I couldn't live without. The brunch looked great BUT simply too much food!

I was on a Carnival ship a couple of years ago, helping out a friend who was stuck paying for the cabin on her own. I hated it. It was an old ship with weird decorations and it was heading into drydock after that cruise so they were already working on it. Watched the Disney Magic from my pathetic balcony at the port and so wished I was arriving in one of their cool yellow buses with the port holes . . .

Anyway, I skipped out on the main dining room there, too. The food everywhere was really good, though. They had a stir fry station, a reuben place . . . but it did seem like everyone was there JUST to eat? I know I won't starve by skipping dinner in the main dining room. I'm an adult. I can eat SOFT SERVE ICE CREAM for dinner! Maybe I'll bring my own sprinkles . . .

Do be aware that Cabanas is a) not an option the first or last night of the cruise and b) not a buffet in the evening.

On my first (solo) cruise, I was seated at a table at late seating with 6 other solos. There were a few people who did most of the talking, but I was fine with that, as I'm quite reserved. One of the folks only came on the first night; we learned that she had befriended some other cruisers and had arranged to dine with them after the first night. So I'd say -- try the group table, and if you hate it or it's awkward, ask for your own table thereafter. Or eat at Cabanas, the quick-serve restaurants, or via room service. Don't miss the animation/drawing night in AP though!

At events like trivia, there are often people who will see you by yourself and motion you over to join them. Or you can ask if a seat is taken and make a new acquaintance. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've encountered many people who are accommodating and friendly on DCL.

I did Palo brunch by myself and there was nothing awkward about it. It was great!

Thanks much for the info about Cabanas - won't be a problem for me but I appreciate you letting me know!

You're welcome!

Just didn't want you (or anyone) expecting it to be a buffet at night or available the first or last night.

At events like trivia, there are often people who will see you by yourself and motion you over to join them. Or you can ask if a seat is taken and make a new acquaintance. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've encountered many people who are accommodating and friendly on DCL.
I've met a lot of people at trivia, usually because there aren't enough tables. On my last cruise my friend and I made trivia friends on one of the first days that we ended up playing trivia with for the whole week. We made a nice little team.

I've met a lot of people at trivia, usually because there aren't enough tables. On my last cruise my friend and I made trivia friends on one of the first days that we ended up playing trivia with for the whole week. We made a nice little team.

Agree totally. On my solo cruise, I met SO MANY PEOPLE at trivia. By the end of the week, we had a 'super team' that couldn't be beaten.

I've done 10+ solo cruises with the majority on DCL and they where all great but if I had to pick one favorite cruise I would say it was the WBTA which I had done twice (2010 & 2015). I not only enjoyed the cruise, ports and all the activities I also enjoyed exploring around Barcelona on my own a week prior to the cruise. Obviously on these longer cruises you get the opportunity to do many activities since some activities repeat and from my experience DCL will even offer tours they don't normally offer on shorter cruises. I also travel solo and my favorite non-cruise solo trip was Iceland. I visited Iceland for eight days and I wish I had stayed longer.

After having a bad experience with tablemates on my second Disney Cruise I decided to request my own table for all my subsequent cruises which is perfect for me. I actually prefer the solitude.

Next question is, which cruise am I going to book?

Just out of curiosity, have you cruised before? I presume that, because you travel frequently to WDW, you already have a dedicated TA you can use for your DCL booking :) Ultimately though, your decision is going to come down to factors such as budget/cruise fare, embarkation port, cruising season, itinerary. Take a look at the cruises offered on disneycruise.com and let us know if you have any questions. My first ever DCL cruise was a five night Western Caribbean on the Wonder (Cozumel, Castaway Cay), second was a five night Western Caribbean on the Magic (Grand Cayman, Castaway Cay). My family decided to change it up and cruise to the Med on the Magic for our 2019 family vacation.

I picked an eight night Eastern Caribbean on RC Adventure of the Seas for my first solo cruise in December 2018 partially because of cruise fare and itinerary (Labadee, San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Kitts). All new ports I have never been to before, I always like to travel to new destinations on any vacation. My December 2019 solo cruise on Harmony of the Seas was a little different because I knew that I wanted to sail on an Oasis-class ship for my next cruise; from there, I was able to filter by price and itinerary.

Hope this helps!

Yes, I have cruised before, once on the Dream, and once on the Fantasy. I'm a WDW pro (30+ trips), and I do have a TA in mind for my cruise. Definitely not a Disney rookie here. :)

If you are a solo cruiser do they still announce you as your board? This to me would be awkward and I think I would like to skip it. How do the announce solo cruisers?

I'm also concerned about dining - not sure if I should sit alone or take a chance with others. I will be on the 14 WBPC in February.

Other than that, I am looking forward to solo cruising!

If you are a solo cruiser do they still announce you as your board? This to me would be awkward and I think I would like to skip it. How do the announce solo cruisers?

I'm also concerned about dining - not sure if I should sit alone or take a chance with others. I will be on the 14 WBPC in February.

Other than that, I am looking forward to solo cruising!

I always give them my first name - and they often will say “Princess Beth”. I do not know if you can skip it because I love it and would never ask.

You could always leave it to chance and see what your table mates are like - then request a move if it doesn’t work for you. But I personally have never had a problem dining solo - longest was 12 nights, but. I had conversations with my servers and occasionally people at nearby tables - but we were fine with greeting and check-in and then stay within our own bubbles. I never found it awkward sitting alone - but a) I am single so I do that a lot and b) I really don’t pay attention to what others are doing (or wearing) so therefore it doesn’t bug me to feel like I’m being looked at.

I hate that part - getting onto the ship and being "announced". I usually have my sunglasses on and say "no thanks" and quickly walk past. Just not my thing. Sometimes I just let them get busy with a family and sneak past.

My plan is to go to dinner the first night to explain that I won't be eating in the MDR the rest of the trip and that it's nothing personal! I have no particular desire to meet anyone or make any new friends. Just want to read and sketch and people watch. Dinners will be in Cabanas or on the pool deck or room service. Looks like if I don't want to eat the buffet for breakfast or lunch there IS always a sit down/restaurant option?

It's my trip, my $4000, and I plan to do what I want or don't want. That's the nice thing about being an adult. The only thing I HAVE to do is the lifeboat drill! Bliss!

PS. Even when I traveled with my family, I didn't like that part. At Graceland, Elvis' house in Memphis, there is actually small print on the ticket that says simply by purchasing the ticket, I agree to allow them to take my photo. Everyone had to stand in front of a photo of Graceland and get their photo taken. I argued unsuccessfully (really?) and then stood in front of Graceland, backwards. They just want something to sell you on your way out. Sometimes I say "I'm sorry, I am in the witness protection program and can't have my photo taken". It certainly slows them down!

I hate that part - getting onto the ship and being "announced". I usually have my sunglasses on and say "no thanks" and quickly walk past. Just not my thing. Sometimes I just let them get busy with a family and sneak past.

My plan is to go to dinner the first night to explain that I won't be eating in the MDR the rest of the trip and that it's nothing personal! I have no particular desire to meet anyone or make any new friends. Just want to read and sketch and people watch. Dinners will be in Cabanas or on the pool deck or room service. Looks like if I don't want to eat the buffet for breakfast or lunch there IS always a sit down/restaurant option?

It's my trip, my $4000, and I plan to do what I want or don't want. That's the nice thing about being an adult. The only thing I HAVE to do is the lifeboat drill! Bliss!

PS. Even when I traveled with my family, I didn't like that part. At Graceland, Elvis' house in Memphis, there is actually small print on the ticket that says simply by purchasing the ticket, I agree to allow them to take my photo. Everyone had to stand in front of a photo of Graceland and get their photo taken. I argued unsuccessfully (really?) and then stood in front of Graceland, backwards. They just want something to sell you on your way out. Sometimes I say "I'm sorry, I am in the witness protection program and can't have my photo taken". It certainly slows them down!
You are my kinda girl! One strategy I successfully employ against forced photography is to lean in and whisper “I can’t I work for the government” and walk away.

Here's a question for solo travelers. Are you going solo because you simply want to de stress? Or you can't find anyone 'good' to go with? I learned long ago when Jean Koldys dropped out of our trip to Scotland in high school that you can't sit around waiting for someone to go with. I'm GLAD now she didn't come! It was the BEST TRIP EVER!!!

I travel with friends when it works out...but more and more I travel solo because I’ve come to prefer it. No working with other people’s likes and dislikes, no endless discussions over where to go next or where to eat, no dealing with anyone’s grumpiness except my own. I’ve cruised solo once now, and have two more planned. I frankly enjoyed my solo cruise more than the one I took with my BFF!

I travel with friends when it works out...but more and more I travel solo because I’ve come to prefer it. No working with other people’s likes and dislikes, no endless discussions over where to go next or where to eat, no dealing with anyone’s grumpiness except my own. I’ve cruised solo once now, and have two more planned. I frankly enjoyed my solo cruise more than the one I took with my BFF!

YES! I just cruised on Royal Caribbean with a friend and even though we did have an agreement that we didn't have to be in lock-step, I sooooooooo missed the freedom I have overall when I'm solo. I can go to bed when I want, get up when I want, shower when I want, etc., etc. Plus I figured out that being solo and living alone, I'm sooooo not used to having someone else in the room when I'm sleeping and it really affected the way I slept (I think I heard every time she turned over).

We're still friends, but I'm solo from now on. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter