• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best DCL solo tips?

My plan is to go to dinner the first night to explain that I won't be eating in the MDR the rest of the trip and that it's nothing personal! I have no particular desire to meet anyone or make any new friends. Just want to read and sketch and people watch. Dinners will be in Cabanas or on the pool deck or room service. Looks like if I don't want to eat the buffet for breakfast or lunch there IS always a sit down/restaurant option?

My head exploded reading this. :P LOL One of the big draws of the cruise for me is the food. I think their food is really good and the fact that I can get a hot, delicious meal that I do not have to cook makes my vacation. As a Mom, I am always cooking for the family and I get sick of it but I love food. Eating in the main dining room and Palo brunch makes me happy. :D

My head exploded reading this. :P LOL One of the big draws of the cruise for me is the food. I think their food is really good and the fact that I can get a hot, delicious meal that I do not have to cook makes my vacation. As a Mom, I am always cooking for the family and I get sick of it but I love food. Eating in the main dining room and Palo brunch makes me happy. :D

Agreed that I love them! And I've never had an issue with bringing my nook to dinner with me. If anyone was looking, I didn't notice.

But I get that some people just aren't as comfortable and can't ignore people as easily as I can - I'm just extra practiced at it.

As an aside - the servers can time your meal at your pace - or mine have when I was solo.

Agreed that I love them! And I've never had an issue with bringing my nook to dinner with me. If anyone was looking, I didn't notice.

But I get that some people just aren't as comfortable and can't ignore people as easily as I can - I'm just extra practiced at it.

As an aside - the servers can time your meal at your pace - or mine have when I was solo.

I bring my nook too. Don't you love it? My next solo cruise is coming up in 8 1/2 weeks on the Fantasy. Can't wait!

I bring my nook too. Don't you love it? My next solo cruise is coming up in 8 1/2 weeks on the Fantasy. Can't wait!

Enjoy!!!

At the moment my next one is over a year away...but there will be something in Feb or April. Get that Gold status before check-in for Alaska!!

YES! I just cruised on Royal Caribbean with a friend and even though we did have an agreement that we didn't have to be in lock-step, I sooooooooo missed the freedom I have overall when I'm solo. I can go to bed when I want, get up when I want, shower when I want, etc., etc. Plus I figured out that being solo and living alone, I'm sooooo not used to having someone else in the room when I'm sleeping and it really affected the way I slept (I think I heard every time she turned over).

We're still friends, but I'm solo from now on. :D

Yeah, my friend CLAIMED she's be fine with doing her own thing, but then every time she wanted to something and I didn't (or vice versa), she always ended up saying, "But I want to hang out with you!". I'm going to WDW with her for a Halloween trip next year, but we are clearly MUCH better suited for that kind of trip rather than a cruise.

(Earplugs are your friend when sharing a room.)

Yes, I have TRIED traveling with other but always regret some part of it. There's nothing more indulgent than simply walking at your own pace. Be it slower or faster than your companion. I had one friend who wanted to go to the ballet while I went to Mamma Mia in London and was afraid to do so, even though we were just blocks apart.

As far as not wanting to eat in the MDR, it's not about the food, it's about the TIME it takes. And it's not like I'm gonna starve! I'm not a fast eater but I just want to eat and get on with my evening. I remember as a kid my folks had cocktails first (while I nursed a Shirley Temple) and then we'd FINALLY eat. But the worst part was when they had to have COFFEE after dinner. My brother and I would roll our eyes. Half an hour and it's done with.

But again! Going solo means you just please yourself. Wonderfully indulgent. Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter