BLT check in process is moving to the BLT lobby

Jillpie

Can you package some Main St. music and send it to
Not so great for Magical Express guests? I don't know, what's your take on this...

Bay Lake Tower check-in process to move to Bay Lake Tower lobby
Aug 17, 2012

The arrival experience at 'Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort' is about to*become much improved.

Beginning August 20 2012, guests will be directed to check-in at the lobby of the Bay Lake Tower, and will no longer have to first go through to the main Contemporary building.* Initially, only guests arriving by car or taxi will go directly to Bay Lake Tower.* Those guests arriving by Magical Express will continue to arrive at the Main Contemporary Resort building.

In addition to the lobby handling check-in and check-out, the Bay Lake Tower lobby*will be able to providing dining reservations, recreation, ticket sales, and planning assistance.

The lobby front desk will be staffed from 7am to 10pm daily.

Staying at BLT for the first time in Oct. and I love the fact that I can check in at BLT and not over at CR!

OK. I'll bite. Where are they going to put it? In their pockets? :lmao:

You can hardly turn around in the BLT lobby as it is.

News to me. I never thought it was a big deal to check in at Contemporary. Every DVC resort we've stayed at you check in the main hotel, as opposed to the Villas. We will be there in Oct, so I guess we will see.

What if you have to check bags if your room isn't ready??? You don't know if the room is ready till you check in. So... you have to shlep (SP?) your bags back and forth??? I don't like this at all!!!
Nancy :confused3

Nancy F said:
What if you have to check bags if your room isn't ready??? You don't know if the room is ready till you check in. So... you have to shlep (SP?) your bags back and forth??? I don't like this at all!!!

I'd make a bet they'll streamline the process to be just like at CR: the BLT lobby staff will give you a claim check for your bags, put them behind the counter and have bell services take them up. Unless there is a big rush of families checking in at the same time, it shouldn't be an issue.

That said, who knows for sure.... But I would expect that at least as a DVC member.

Out of curiosity, where did you hear this? I didn't see it on DVC web page, but maybe I'm missing it.

We may be among the first to try this. We're moving from BC to BLT on Monday the 20th. I'll post if they've made the switch.

Out of curiosity, where did you hear this? I didn't see it on DVC web page, but maybe I'm missing it.

I read it on the WDWMagic app under headlines. They have alot of great up to date news.

Then walk over to the main building and check in? :confused3

Seems like BLT owners wanted this, and Disney reacted to it, whats the problem?

I personally don't mind either way but as we are car drivers it will be easier to drop off and park all at BLT than have to check-in at the CR and move over. I've read quite a few comments since BLT opened from people wanting this change so I'm glad DVC took those comments on board and changed things.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the next few weeks.

There is still no word on the DVCmember website informing us of this change. Unless DVC sent emails or letters to the guests that will be checking into BLT beginning August 20, 2012, how will those guests know that they can check in at the BLT lobby? I imagine most guests will still drive to the Contemporary Resort thinking they have to sign in over there.

And what happens if a BLT guest shows up at the CR front desk? Will the guest be redirected to the BLT lobby to check in? I would think the CR desk could/should handle the BLT check in. In fact, since the BLT desk will only operate from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM, then the CR front desk must be able to process BLT check-ins during the early and late hours.

Welcome packets are prepared a day or two ahead of time for arriving guests that used Online Check-in. I imagine the BLT desk will have the welcome packets, but I also imagine a large number of guests will still be checking into the CR front desk instead. Will this result in a lot of duplicate packets being created?

How will Disney handle the Magical Express? Will it add a stop at the BLT?

How will Disney handle valet parking? Will it have a valet parking attendant at BLT, or will the guest still have to drive over to the CR to valet park?

Will new road signs be added to direct guests to the BLT lobby? Currently, as you drive up World Drive toward CR/BLT, there are road signs for the Contemporary Resort, but there is no mention of BLT. If Disney wants guests to go directly to the BLT lobby for check-in, it might be a good idea to have signs that say "BLT this way."

Didn't they try this sort of set up at BCV? I seem to remember the trip we did there was a little desk in the villa portion. Didn't last long, and I know we got in late and had to go to the regular desk at BC.

Didn't they try this sort of set up at BCV? I seem to remember the trip we did there was a little desk in the villa portion. Didn't last long, and I know we got in late and had to go to the regular desk at BC.

We actually checked into BCV in the BCV lobby one year - we arrived in the main lobby, were pointed to the BCV lobby, and they had a small desk with 2 people and could only check in 1 group at a time. There was plenty of space, but it seemed very inefficient - longer waits if there were a lot of arrivals, etc. The service once you got to the desk was fine - they would hold luggage for you if necessary, were very nice and helpful, etc. They always had a greeting whenever someone walked through the lobby, too.

I thought the service was nice, but it seemed like they retrofitted the area poorly, so wait times could end up being longer - which is probably why it ended up being discontinued. What they needed is a Next Gen queue if they only had one desk - give people a pager and let them explore a little while they wait to check in. It was overall much more convenient than having to shlep everything through the BC (even though I'm pretty sure we did anyway), and I liked the idea, but I think it needed work.

I know Kidani has its own check-in - it kind of has to. And that works. But I think because it is the check-in area, it's supported much more than the BCV one was (which was definitely an afterthought). I would hope they would have the foresight to incorporate the necessary CM support areas for a check-in in the building plans for any new DVC buildings. We own at BLT but have never been there, so I have no idea if they did that with the lobby there or not.

Yes, we checked in BCV the same way one trip. It didn't last long as it was only the one trip. All the rest of our trips have been check in at the BC front desk. We'll see how long the BLT one lasts.

The last time we checked in at BLT there was a huge backlog, we didn't get a room until 7pm. There were irritable guests all over the CR lobby. There is no room in BLT lobby if anything like that happened. Where are families supposed to wait while someone is checking in? There's like four chairs in the entire lobby area. Logistically this doesn't seem possible.

It didn't work at BCV and I doubt if it will work at BLT.

BCV was a mess when they tried this a few years ago. Took almost a hour one time to check in. The CM's didn't know what to do and they had to keep calling the BC for help. One time they put us in the TV room and gave us each an apple. I can see lemonade and a cookie but an apple???

I am getting tired of hearing about changes from everyone other that Disney. The DVC website is rarely up dated and our family doesn't get all of the emails even though I have discussed this with Disney several times.

Our dues pay for the new check in process so Disney can try things for free.

The new VP for DVD/DVC, Clare Bilby promised positive change but so far I haven't seen much. :sad2:

:earsboy: Bill

Then walk over to the main building and check in? :confused3

Seems like BLT owners wanted this, and Disney reacted to it, whats the problem?

That's what I'd rather do. I always have bags that have to be checked at the bell stand if my room isn't ready. THAT'S the problem. I don't want to start my vacation walking back and forth with my bags. As I always come in on the ME and that drops me at the main building. I'm sure they are not going to have our room packet at both check ins. Are you still :confused3

Wonder how this will affect the mf at BLT, since having the services piggy backing off the hotel probably was saving some CM spots and added $$ for staffing a desk exclusive to BLT guests.

Wonder how this will affect the mf at BLT, since having the services piggy backing off the hotel probably was saving some CM spots and added $$ for staffing a desk exclusive to BLT guests.

Mf?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter