Boardwalk v. Beach Club Throwdown!

MichaelaF

Mouseketeer
Hey All...

I'm sure this has been discussed before but humor this newbie!

We just got back from a 10-day stay at the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. We rented points for the VWL and loved it there. I've never been too inclined toward the Beach Club Villas or Boardwalk (not a huge fan of the decor in the DVC of each...though I like the Boardwalk Inn room decor a lot more...I wish they'd update DVC more!) and never understood why they are so well-loved...until I saw their location on a boat trip between Epcot and Hollywood Studios. I had no idea how close they were! So for our next trip, I'm thinking about Beach Club or Boardwalk. I'm leaning towards Beach Club (that pool!) but I know people seem to LOVE both of these resorts, so I'm interested to hear why. Tell me why you love the one you love!

The choice to buy at an EPCOT resort began with the ease of transportation, as you mentioned. We ended up with both as home resorts for many of the reasons others enjoy them....SAB pool, Boardwalk view, etc.

If the Stormalong Bay pool appeals to you and you will be going during swimming season, then you should probably try BCV. If you enjoy the view from your balcony, then BWV may be better if you book BW view. If you need a 2 bedroom dedicated, book BCV. If you want a GV, book BWV. If you want to save points, book BWV standard view which is a huge bargain.

We just stayed at the Boardwalk and really enjoyed it but we are definitely planning a stay at the Beach Club soon- the entrance to Epcot is right there. I am not going to lie- my husband and I are control freaks so the ability to walk to Epcot and Hollywood whenever WE want and not have to wait on transportation is wonderful!

The Boardwalk is nice and has a lot of restaurants and shopping right there BUT it makes it seem less personal b/c the boardwalk itself is for the public and can get busy. The garden/pool views are great for the price- loved our garden view looking onto the water way- very relaxing and the 2 bedroom lock-offs are great.

With that being said about Boardwalk I think I like Beachclub more- the restaurant is inside and you have a really nice view of the boardwalk without the busyness. Of course you can't forget the awesome sand bottom pool and beach area.

I think it is the hustle and bustle and entertainment of Boardwalk versus the relaxation of Beach Club.

...We just got back from a 10-day stay at the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. We rented points for the VWL and loved it there. I've never been too inclined toward the Beach Club Villas or Boardwalk (not a huge fan of the decor in the DVC of each...though I like the Boardwalk Inn room decor a lot more...I wish they'd update DVC more!) ...

Members pay for all updates and renovations at the DVC resorts. DVC and Disney doesn't pay for them. So that is why they don't happen often. Plus occupancy of the DVC villas is usually 95% or greater. So they don't have vacant rooms/buildings/wings to take over. Dues are high enough as they are.

Members pay for all updates and renovations at the DVC resorts. DVC and Disney doesn't pay for them. So that is why they don't happen often. Plus occupancy of the DVC villas is usually 95% or greater. So they don't have vacant rooms/buildings/wings to take over. Dues are high enough as they are.

Oh, I know. And as renter, not a buyer, I realize I have no room to complain. But for what DVC buyers pay, I think they deserve more updates, honestly. I was a little surprised to see the number of dings and dents and chips around the VWL room we were in. Not that it wasn't lovely and clean, but that in comparison to the regular rooms, they were looking dated. I find that is often the case in DVC rooms...they look like they are stuck in the 90s. To be honest, that's probably the number one reason I'm less inclined to buy into DVC (not that we could afford to right now anyway).

The other thing that tends to get mentioned - if you are a car person at WDW, parking at the Boardwalk is not convenient. We don't have a car, so it isn't a big deal.

Storm Along Bay is an amazing pool - but it is also a pool not designed to make parents comfortable. When your kids are little, the zero entry and the sand is great. When they are pre-teens and strong swimmers who you can let run its like a little waterpark (though mine REALLY would rather go to Typhoon Lagoon. "yeah, Mom, but its a LAME waterpark."). During the in between years, the sightlines are horrible, the entrance to the slide cannot be seen from the pool and needs to be accessed through the public path (giving every mother of a rapidly developing pre-teen daughter and stranger anxiety grey hair). The lazy river is deep enough to be over the head of the average NBA player and has a swift current. When my kids were seven and eight, I'd rather stick hot needles under my fingernails than spend a day at SAB. Especially if the kids outnumber you, or your idea of pool time with that age involves a lounge chair, a book, a drink, and frequent checks (blue swimsuit, blue swimsuit - yes....next page)

Oh, I know. And as renter, not a buyer, I realize I have no room to complain. But for what DVC buyers pay, I think they deserve more updates, honestly. I was a little surprised to see the number of dings and dents and chips around the VWL room we were in. Not that it wasn't lovely and clean, but that in comparison to the regular rooms, they were looking dated. I find that is often the case in DVC rooms...they look like they are stuck in the 90s. To be honest, that's probably the number one reason I'm less inclined to buy into DVC (not that we could afford to right now anyway).

And if they updated them more often, WE wouldn't be able to afford DVC - and you wouldn't be able to afford to rent because as it is, rental prices are barely covering costs for a new retail owner. We pay a lot in dues - they go to upkeep, but also insurance, security, transportation, reservation staff, management, IT systems. Updating a room is expensive. The original buy in costs doesn't cover upkeep - that's the capital expense in building it - and a hefty profit for Disney.

And if they updated them more often, WE wouldn't be able to afford DVC - and you wouldn't be able to afford to rent because as it is, rental prices are barely covering costs for a new retail owner. We pay a lot in dues - they go to upkeep, but also insurance, security, transportation, reservation staff, management, IT systems. Updating a room is expensive. The original buy in costs doesn't cover upkeep - that's the capital expense in building it - and a hefty profit for Disney.

...Again, yes. I understand this. 10-4. And I get that Disney's intent is to make a profit, and I can't blame them for that (though I have a hard time imagining most of what you list isn't fairly well covered with normal, non-DVC stays for Disney). I just don't have to like it.

The other thing that tends to get mentioned - if you are a car person at WDW, parking at the Boardwalk is not convenient. We don't have a car, so it isn't a big deal.

Storm Along Bay is an amazing pool - but it is also a pool not designed to make parents comfortable. When your kids are little, the zero entry and the sand is great. When they are pre-teens and strong swimmers who you can let run its like a little waterpark (though mine REALLY would rather go to Typhoon Lagoon. "yeah, Mom, but its a LAME waterpark."). During the in between years, the sightlines are horrible, the entrance to the slide cannot be seen from the pool and needs to be accessed through the public path (giving every mother of a rapidly developing pre-teen daughter and stranger anxiety grey hair). The lazy river is deep enough to be over the head of the average NBA player and has a swift current. When my kids were seven and eight, I'd rather stick hot needles under my fingernails than spend a day at SAB. Especially if the kids outnumber you, or your idea of pool time with that age involves a lounge chair, a book, a drink, and frequent checks (blue swimsuit, blue swimsuit - yes....next page)

Good thoughts, for sure. Our only kid is currently 6 months, so he'll still be too young next year to really take to the pool. We'd probably either leave him with grandparents (if they decide to come with us again) or take turns doing the pool solo. We don't usually spend much time at the pool anyway, even before kids. And we're shooting for early or mid-November, so it's not exactly high swim season...

What Gillyrose was saying about the pace of each resort is definitely on my radar. I like to feel relaxed after a crazy day at the park (this is one thing I loved about VWL). But the benefits of Boardwalk may win out.

Then again, it may come down to where we can get a reservation for!

Good thoughts, for sure. Our only kid is currently 6 months, so he'll still be too young next year to really take to the pool. We'd probably either leave him with grandparents (if they decide to come with us again) or take turns doing the pool solo. We don't usually spend much time at the pool anyway, even before kids. And we're shooting for early or mid-November, so it's not exactly high swim season...

What Gillyrose was saying about the pace of each resort is definitely on my radar. I like to feel relaxed after a crazy day at the park (this is one thing I loved about VWL). But the benefits of Boardwalk may win out.

Then again, it may come down to where we can get a reservation for!

Renters have one huge advantage, you can find an owner at the resort, with, if you plan far enough in advance, should be doable.

And the thing about rooms is that - well, we own it - you are indirectly insulting the owners - especially when you imply that you, with your superior taste, wouldn't buy under the circumstances. Its good enough for you to RENT, but god forbid, you wouldn't own something so ill maintained. If you don't like it, don't stay there, we won't miss you. Or at least follow the instructions of your mother "if you can't say anything nice." Most of us here are owners, and while we insult each others taste in resorts all the time, we tend to get a little prickly when renters (who many of us aren't all that comfortable with to start with - you are going to book a high demand room before the seven month window and some owner from SSR or VAKL or BLT isn't going to be able to trade in, it leaves an understandably bad taste in some mouths) insult them.

I was a little surprised to see the number of dings and dents and chips around the VWL room we were in. Not that it wasn't lovely and clean, but that in comparison to the regular rooms, they were looking dated. I find that is often the case in DVC rooms...they look like they are stuck in the 90s. ...Again, yes. I understand this. 10-4. And I get that Disney's intent is to make a profit, and I can't blame them for that (though I have a hard time imagining most of what you list isn't fairly well covered with normal, non-DVC stays for Disney). I just don't have to like it.

There is no profit on dues. Mismanagement of dues would bring the FL Attorney General down on DVC. What we pay in dues covers all the expenses of the resort, including management fees which is only a small amount. We are paying for the salaries of all the CMs who work there. For all the maintenance - air conditioning, washers, dryers, refrigerators, stoves, etc. We pay for painting, for cleaning, for laundry, for all the transportation provided to the resort (boats, buses, monorails). For upkeep of the pools (the leisure pools and any shared with non-DVC resorts, like Stormalong Bay) and the lifeguards at the pools. We pay for all the extra towels and other amenitites that members take off the housekeeper's carts or ask for without paying for. We pay for the messes that people leave behind, but I would like them to be charged for the damages they do and the messes they leave. We pay for the guest who decides they want the sleeper chair in the bedroom instead of leaving it in the living room (and who mar the floor or damage the walls while they are moving it). We pay for the extra laundering of the pool towels taken by the guests to the water parks or to use in their rooms.

If Disney wants to change out the linens at a non-DVC resort, they just up the cost per night to stay there. They can't do that at DVC resorts.

As for the decor in the VWL, I own there and I love it. I would hate to see it changed (but that could happen). If you don't like it, stay elsewhere and pay Disney's price. (Well said, crisi, well said).

With that being said about Boardwalk I think I like Beachclub more- the restaurant is inside and you have a really nice view of the boardwalk without the busyness.

There are NO BCV rooms with a view of the Boardwalk. All of the BCV rooms are back by the driveway/entrance.

There are NO BCV rooms with a view of the Boardwalk. All of the BCV rooms are back by the driveway/entrance.

Sorry- I didn't mean to insinuate that. I just mean when you are out at the pool or relaxing on the beach or walking along you have a nice view.

The choice to buy at an EPCOT resort began with the ease of transportation, as you mentioned. We ended up with both as home resorts for many of the reasons others enjoy them....SAB pool, Boardwalk view, etc.

:thumbsup2

Renters have one huge advantage, you can find an owner at the resort, with, if you plan far enough in advance, should be doable.

And the thing about rooms is that - well, we own it - you are indirectly insulting the owners - especially when you imply that you, with your superior taste, wouldn't buy under the circumstances. Its good enough for you to RENT, but god forbid, you wouldn't own something so ill maintained. If you don't like it, don't stay there, we won't miss you. Or at least follow the instructions of your mother "if you can't say anything nice." Most of us here are owners, and while we insult each others taste in resorts all the time, we tend to get a little prickly when renters (who many of us aren't all that comfortable with to start with - you are going to book a high demand room before the seven month window and some owner from SSR or VAKL or BLT isn't going to be able to trade in, it leaves an understandably bad taste in some mouths) insult them.

Come on guys- you know her intentions were not to insult so why be so offended? You may not like renting but it has helped A LOT of owners out when they are financially in a pinch as well as owners not being able to use a reservation and losing out.

I prefer standard room at BWV because it's points savings over BCV room.
Other than that convenience everything is pretty equal.

BCV is closer to EPCOT than BWV, has nicer pool, has a nice marketplace, Beaches & Cream, Cape May Cafe and other nice restaurants.

BWV has Boardwalk view, cheaper standard view rooms, BW bakery, ice cream shop, the boardwalk itself to enjoy, Flying fish and a shop with good merchandise selection.

Have fun deciding.

Also BWV has a great Community room.

BCV's SAB is pretty hard to monitor if you have young ones.

Sorry- I didn't mean to insinuate that. I just mean when you are out at the pool or relaxing on the beach or walking along you have a nice view.

You have a lovely view of the canal when you stay at BWV and walk along the back walkway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter