Boardwalk v. Beach Club Throwdown!

...We stayed at BCV in April. Villas are tucked behind the Beach club...so you're not that close to everything. Yes, the walk to Epcot is short, but the walk to Hollywood Studios was twice as long as from the Boardwalk...more like 25-30 minute walk vs the 15 minutes from Boardwalk. SAB--once the lifeguards are gone, the pool is closed...that was happening at 8PM. The villa pool was fine at night...but we were hoping to go to SAB one night. I did like the movies on the beach, and liked sitting on the swings by the beach.

No, the walk to DHS is not twice as long as from BWV, maybe a few minutes longer, but not twice as long. But you can be in Epcot in three minutes from BCV versue about ten minutes from BWV. And you don't have to walk up the hill (in front of the Inn towards Epcot). Take the walkway under the bridge from BCV and you don't have to climb any hills.

BCV has much better parking. Parking at the BW is horrible. We were there last month for one night and it was very difficult getting a parking place on the hotel side of the road instead of the gas station side of the road. They block off one entire parking lot for convention guests, so that leaves only the very small lot behind the valet parking lot for BWV/BWI guests.

No, the walk to DHS is not twice as long as from BWV, maybe a few minutes longer, but not twice as long. But you can be in Epcot in three minutes from BCV versue about ten minutes from BWV. And you don't have to walk up the hill (in front of the Inn towards Epcot). Take the walkway under the bridge from BCV and you don't have to climb any hills.

BCV has much better parking. Parking at the BW is horrible. We were there last month for one night and it was very difficult getting a parking place on the hotel side of the road instead of the gas station side of the road. They block off one entire parking lot for convention guests, so that leaves only the very small lot behind the valet parking lot for BWV/BWI guests.

When we stayed at BCV (BWV is home, so I have a bias) I didn't like the walk from BCV to Epcot - to take the "shortcut" I was walking by people's patios - I hate that. And walking around the front of the building and through the lobby added enough time that it wasn't much shorter than the BWV walk. The walk from Epcot to BWV is one of my favorite walks though - I don't mind it being longer (we walk it in five or six now that the kids are older and have made it in less if we are in a rush to make a reservation) if its pleasant.

I don't like the walk to DHS from any of the Epcot resorts, the path that runs under the road is always damp, its not terribly well lit, and the end of the walk takes you past the parking lot - not magical at all and HOT if the sun is beating down.

We don't drive, so for us parking is a non-issue. I have had a car at BWV and it isn't convenient, but since we park it and leave it unless we are going to a waterpark, it doesn't make or break the trip to have a less than ideal parking situation for coming (when I drop the kids and the luggage off with the bell hop), leaving (when I pick up the kids and the luggage from the bellhop) and running to the waterpark. (When we go out to dinner, we take a cab, then we can drink as much as we want. And for parks - from BWV its really only AK and MK mornings we use the bus for.

I'm not sure that 3 min vs. 10 mins walk to Epcot is that big of a deal to me....10 mins sounds so short since I've only ever stayed at MK resorts, and it's at least that to get to the MK from where I've stayed!

What about the restaurants/eating options? We tend to eat a lot at our resort I find. I know that I could technically enjoy the eating options at the other place, since they are relatively close to each other (and Yacht Club/Epcot), but assuming that I want to stay at my resort how do the restaurants compare? Are Boardwalk options more crowded because you're "sharing" the Boardwalk in a sense? (I know you're also dealing with convention folks over at BCV...)

Also....are there any transport/bus routes that feel like they are super long from there? For example, Downtown Disney felt like it was about three states away from VWL.....

The two resorts are so close that the restaurants at each is, in my mind, moot, unless the weather is horrible.

Bus routes from both aren't great. Most people think the BC is a little easier. The Epcot resorts have two bus configurations - one where all five resorts bus stops (BW, BC, YC, Swan and Dolphin) share a bus (used during non busy times) and one where YC and BC share and BW shares with the Swan and Dolphin - adding another stop (and one less convenient than the single parking lot situation at the Y&BC. We've had good bus karma with BWV, but we don't take many buses - MK one or two mornings (we take the monorail back and walk through Epcot in the afternoon - its a long walk, but we like it) and to and from AK. Downtown Disney is three states away from everything (except SSR and arguably OKW) and the buses there and to the waterparks have always been problematic for us, regardless of where we stay.

For us, there's nothing better than watching shows on the Boardwalk at night with our kids and a bottle of wine from our room in our backpack.. And more bottles in the villa fridge just steps away (we always get a ground floor room).

If I had to walk to the BVC for a refill I'd miss the shows. :)

We like both with BCV being our preference merely because the villas have a walkway that lets out right by the canal walkway so I can save my knees a bit :thumbsup2 and not have to walk the hump - plus BCV has the newly renovated Hurricane Hanna :woohoo: and Crew Cup .

Call out for the Dolphin - noticed you're from IN. SW pkgs with the Dolphin can be very cost effective (fee inclusive). We've stayed the last two Octobers at the Dolphin to enjoy the F&W. :hug: Love staff, location and the Cabana eatery by their fantastic pool.

For us, there's nothing better than watching shows on the Boardwalk at night with our kids and a bottle of wine from our room in our backpack.. And more bottles in the villa fridge just steps away (we always get a ground floor room).

If I had to walk to the BVC for a refill I'd miss the shows. :)

Speaking my language, Silver...that sounds fabulous!

Glad you mentioned the Dolphin, Bakerworld...it's definitely on the consideration list, though probably 3rd on the list behind the others. We'll see what works out. I love the Heavenly Bed!

...Again, yes. I understand this. 10-4. And I get that Disney's intent is to make a profit, and I can't blame them for that (though I have a hard time imagining most of what you list isn't fairly well covered with normal, non-DVC stays for Disney). I just don't have to like it.
DVC clearly lags other top timeshares in the update/refurbishment arena. Actually they lag so-so timeshares as well.

As for BWV vs BCV, both are very nice though between the 2 I see BCV as essentially BWV standard view at a higher points cost plus SAB. Obviously there are other minor differences that are important to some such as the 2 queen bed and dedicated 2 BR difference.

I'm an owner and don't hate renters. With all due respect to everyone here... Those rented points were pre-paid for by an owner, and owners have the right to use them how they like whether its for themselves or gifted to someone or rented to someone. You, as a renter, have just as much a right to be there as anyone else. And you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Owner or not. And...I'm not personally insulted by your comments. I LOVE MY DVC, but agree that rooms could be updated a little more frequently. They are labeled as "deluxe" villa resorts after all. Anyway, I'm not looking for an argument with anyone. I just felt bad that you were flamed. I knew what I was buying when I bought. I knew that I could book at the non home resorts at the seven month window IF THERE IS AVAILABILITY only! I also knew that DVC is not for someone that likes to plan last minute vacations. I have no regrets at all. I rented for several years before I bought into DVC and I'm thankful that I had that opportunity to try it out before I bought.

I'm an owner and don't hate renters. With all due respect to everyone here... Those rented points were pre-paid for by an owner, and owners have the right to use them how they like whether its for themselves or gifted to someone or rented to someone. You, as a renter, have just as much a right to be there as anyone else. And you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Owner or not. And...I'm not personally insulted by your comments. I LOVE MY DVC, but agree that rooms could be updated a little more frequently. They are labeled as "deluxe" villa resorts after all. Anyway, I'm not looking for an argument with anyone. I just felt bad that you were flamed. I knew what I was buying when I bought. I knew that I could book at the non home resorts at the seven month window IF THERE IS AVAILABILITY only! I also knew that DVC is not for someone that likes to plan last minute vacations. I have no regrets at all. I rented for several years before I bought into DVC and I'm thankful that I had that opportunity to try it out before I bought.

Hi Michelle, I don't think anyone suggested they hate renters. That was just a quip by the OP. I have rented out points a couple times in the past and had a good experience both times. And just FYI, renting points to someone is not a right. Actually, your contract doesn't allow it. Some owners don't like that other owners do it, but they don't hate the renters for it. I had no intention of flaming the OP, just explaining how a sentence (or ten) can be focused on by and insulting to owners, even if there was no intent to insult. All things considered, I think things were handled in a civil manner, and the OP got some real good feedback from all involved. This is how it works in an online community. JMHO. :)

And just FYI, renting points to someone is not a right. Actually, your contract doesn't allow it.

Actually DVC owners CAN legally rent points. It is TRANSFERRING points for MONEY that is not supposed to be legal.

Actually DVC owners CAN legally rent points. It is TRANSFERRING points for MONEY that is not supposed to be legal.

Hey Jean, You have enlightened me to something I didn't know. Are you certain about this?

Thanks...

Sorry for the misinformation, Michelle. :blush:

Hey Jean, You have enlightened me to something I didn't know. Are you certain about this?

Thanks...

Sorry for the misinformation, Michelle. :blush:

Renting is allowed. Purchasing for the sole purpose of renting is not allowed...but people do it and get away with it. Not saying I agree with it but it is done. There are websites where they do nothing but rent out DVC reservations.

Renting is allowed. Purchasing for the sole purpose of renting is not allowed...but people do it and get away with it. Not saying I agree with it but it is done. There are websites where they do nothing but rent out DVC reservations.
Renting is expressly allowed but there is a preclusion for "commercial renting" and transferring points for a fee. The issue we get into on this subject is everyone has their own assumption or definition of "commercial renting". Since renting is expressly allowed, one could certainly buy and only rent or even buy simply for this purpose. The system really has no way to judge or monitor the intent of a given buyer or owner. The current definition by DVC essentially is they start looking when you get to 20 rentals a year and if you run a website. The other mistake that people get into is trying to define commercial renting from the direction of price or profit, clearly not applicable in this situation. The problem DVC has is that they must define commercial renting such that everyone will agree it's commercial. Their current definition does that reasonably but much more restrictive and they have an issue, esp since they've actually raised the maximum number of points that one can own.

Good points about the business of the BCV pool....I hadn't really considered that, and I definitely do not like stalking lounge chairs.

The activity at night is one of the appeals of BWV to me...I like having stuff to do that isn't far from my room, especially if we have a sitter (this past year being my parents, but I'd have used Kids Nite Out as well). I'd heard similar things about how the BWV rooms were actually much quieter than one would expect, glad to hear that.

Hey Michaela - we've done two trips with our DD (when she was 23 months and 35 months) and stayed at BCV both times. Having easy access to the side entrance of Epcot was fantastic, and she loved the Cape May character breakfast. We loved the feel of the BCV and also enjoyed a quiet swim in the DVC pool when SAB was busy. Of course, we loved SAB with DD because she could use the sandy zero-entry section. So, only a positive review of BCV from me (can't say anything bad about BWV because I've never stayed there!) Good luck.

We've stayed at both and own at BCV.

The parking at BWV is horrible.
There is only 1 bank of elevators.
The hallways are endless, I found myself humming "Hotel California" everytime we came and went from our rooms.

Even with those minuses we enjoyed our stay very much.

We've stayed at both and own at BCV.

The parking at BWV is horrible.
There is only 1 bank of elevators.
The hallways are endless, I found myself humming "Hotel California" everytime we came and went from our rooms.

Even with those minuses we enjoyed our stay very much.

We just came back from BWV in Sept. and you bring back fun memories. There are stairways to use but, if you only use elevators, they are endless. After a few days there my 4 year old started making walking back to the room a game. There are pictures on the carpet in BWV and the ferris wheels became spider webs to him and the hot air balloons were giant clams ready to bite us. It became a fun obstacle course for us trying to get away from the spiderwebs and clams- lol- good times:)

Thank you for this thread (minus all all the misinterpretations). I REALLY wanted to stay at BCV in June but can't get a resi at the 7 month window, so BWV it will be - on rented points. I just want to know more info about BWV before going.

I would LOVE to own DVC, but my husband who is money savvy does not care for timeshares (he's rather save money & not take vacation) :sad1: But I "force" him to take yearly family vacations (he has the option to stay home while we go...). :thumbsup2:

Thank you for all your input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter