BWV or Riviera in October

MamaBear12

Mouseketeer
Planning to spend a couple nights at WDW before a cruise mid-October and will to do a day at Epcot so we want to stay at an Epcot area resort. Should we stay at BWV or Riviera? 2 adults and 2 children (9 and 11). Will the BWV refurb still be going on? We've never stayed at either. Home resort is VGF and we already have that booked as a backup in case we can't get a studio at Riviera or BWV. Thanks!

Either are great. I think I'd try BW though as the renovations *should* be done, and I think it's great to get the new rooms. I also really like the Keister Coaster slide at the BW pool for those ages, and October is still plenty hot enough to swim.

We loved our stay at a Riviera standard studio in August. We also have a room booked at Boardwalk for this summer. Hard call.

Tough call -- I think there are going to be pros and cons to both. The Boardwalk is close enough for you to walk to Epcot, but I'd be hesitant to stay there because of the construction happening right now. Riviera is one of my favorite resorts and I think you'll adore it, but you'll be vacationing during the tail end of rain season and you'll risk having the Skyliner down for an extended period of time.

If I was in your shoes I think I would personally choose Riviera to avoid the mess of the Boardwalk (and because I just love Riviera so much!), I would just go into it with the expectation that the Skyliner may be down and you'd have to rely on bus service to/from Epcot. IIRC, when the Skyliner was down for a day during our Riviera stay last year, the buses picked us up and dropped us off at Beach Club, so we still entered through International Gateway.

I’m confident the BWV reno will be finished by October, so that shouldn’t be a factor in your decision. Given the popularity of both BWV and RIV in October Food & Wine season, I’d say take whichever you can get at 7 months, and if neither is available I’d WL BWV P/G view and RIV Preferred view.

Last edited:
Planning to spend a couple nights at WDW before a cruise mid-October and will to do a day at Epcot so we want to stay at an Epcot area resort. Should we stay at BWV or Riviera? 2 adults and 2 children (9 and 11). Will the BWV refurb still be going on? We've never stayed at either. Home resort is VGF and we already have that booked as a backup in case we can't get a studio at Riviera or BWV. Thanks!
Construction on the Villas side should be done before October.

The Skyliner service can be dicey at times. It shuts down for storms and we've been stuck by the Skyliner a handful of times even when the weather was beautiful. You won't have to rely on the Skyliner if you stay at the Boardwalk - just your legs. :)

If it were me, I'd waitlist the easiest rooms to book at both resorts (Garden/Pool view at BWV, Preferred View at RIV) and see what comes through. That's going to make the decision for me.

Either are great. I think I'd try BW though as the renovations *should* be done, and I think it's great to get the new rooms. I also really like the Keister Coaster slide at the BW pool for those ages, and October is still plenty hot enough to swim.
Thanks! I’ll add those to the BWV pros list.

BWV renovations are supposed to done by May (originally it was March), so even if more time is needed it should be done long before Oct.

A likely issue is availability at 7 months out. October is a high DVC demand time at WDW. BWV standard view and boardwalk view studios are already gone for mid-October except for a couple days, which will likely disappear before 7-months out. Pool/Garden view is already filled for part of the time in mid-Oct and all of that is likely to disappear before 7-months out.

Riviera standard view studios are already half filled for mid-Oct time and will likely disappear before 7-months out. Preferred view is still open, and, of the two resorts, Riviera preferred view will likely be you only chance of a studio at 7-months out and even those have a real risk of filling for multiple days in mid-Oct before 7-months out.

As many have mentioned refurbished should be finished. My vote is not based on getting to and from as both are convenient. My selection would be BWV as I believe that is a better pool for your 9 and 11 year olds.

BWV renovations are supposed to done by May (originally it was March), so even if more time is needed it should be done long before Oct.

A likely issue is availability at 7 months out. October is a high DVC demand time at WDW. BWV standard view and boardwalk view studios are already gone for mid-October except for a couple days, which will likely disappear before 7-months out. Pool/Garden view is already filled for part of the time in mid-Oct and all of that is likely to disappear before 7-months out.

Riviera standard view studios are already half filled for mid-Oct time and will likely disappear before 7-months out. Preferred view is still open, and, of the two resorts, Riviera preferred view will likely be you only chance of a studio at 7-months out and even those have a real risk of filling for multiple days in mid-Oct before 7-months out.

Thanks for the heads up. I did book our home resort for the dates as a backup. And I suppose we can waitlist and see if it comes through. Do you think Riviera preferred will be our best bet for waitlist? Or BWV pool/garden?

Another vote for BW. Can't beat the location.

That said, we have our first RIV stay booked for March. Maybe that will change things.

Thanks for the heads up. I did book our home resort for the dates as a backup. And I suppose we can waitlist and see if it comes through. Do you think Riviera preferred will be our best bet for waitlist? Or BWV pool/garden?
If you mean setting up a waitlist if neither is open at 7-months out, chances of getting either are likely somewhat decent when seeking only a couple nights, and you are allowed to set up two different waitlists for the same nights.

BWV Pool Garden has about 30 more rooms than the Riviera Preferred category so I would WL that one.

If you mean setting up a waitlist if neither is open at 7-months out, chances of getting either are likely somewhat decent when seeking only a couple nights, and you are allowed to set up two different waitlists for the same nights.
Thanks! Did not know we could have two different waitlists.

Quick follow-up. If one night is available, should we take it and waitlist the other (same room category)? Then if the second comes through, ask member services to merge the reservation so we don’t potentially have to move rooms?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter