Cabana Bay! New Universal Hotel in 2014!!!

Sorry it didn't live up to expectations Chabs. We are in a suite this time after two fantastic stays in a normal room at Cabana we shall see. We have stayed all stars twice and rate Cabana way ahead that. We are all different and unfortunately dirty/worn doesn't sound good. Our experience has always been fresh, new and clean at Cabana. Fingers crossed same next month.

Is there a coffee maker in the standard rooms? We didn't need a suite but a coffee maker would be great.

Is there a coffee maker in the standard rooms? We didn't need a suite but a coffee maker would be great.

Yes! Here is the list of included (and optional add-on) amenities in a standard CB room:
  • One (1) 40" flat panel television with HD channels
  • 2 queen size beds
  • Cuisinart single coffee pod brewer
  • Mini refrigerator
  • Iron, ironing board, hairdryer and in-room safe
  • Complimentary* wireless internet access in each guest room and most common areas of the hotel
  • Upgrade to Premium Plus^ wireless internet access for optimal entertainment and business needs

Question on parking. From another thread, it appears the parking area near the area we are staying, standard rooms, requires valet parking, due to construction?

How does that work? and is it already included in the parking fee?

Question on parking. From another thread, it appears the parking area near the area we are staying, standard rooms, requires valet parking, due to construction?

How does that work? and is it already included in the parking fee?

Yes. We had the same issue (only self parking available was on the back side of the building due to construction). We used Valet. No extra cost except if you decide to tip the valet guys when they bring you your car.

I thought I would give a mini review since we just stayed here a couple of weeks ago. You could definitely fit a couple of gallons of milk in that fridge, it's bigger than it looks in that picture and you could move the shelves around.

I was not especially impressed with the CB, as much as I wanted to love it. We usually stay at the Portofino or RP, but we needed a room with 3 beds or 2 rooms and the suite was the only thing I could find because we booked at the last minute. My first impression was that our furnishings were really worn and dirty. I was surprised because you would think that it would still look pretty new, since the hotel is not that old. The two side chairs were outright filthy but maybe the housekeeping is just off because we found a child's sweatshirt in our closet.

The pullout bed is outright torture to try to sleep on. Nobody could sleep on it so our idea of everyone having their own bed went out the window after 2 hours of us switching around and trying to sleep on that sofa "bed". You literally might as well sleep on the floor-it's that hard. I didn't particularly love the beds or bedding but they weren't awful.

Towels were so thin and worn they were see-through. I did like the bathroom set up and thought they were cute little rooms, just wished they'd put a little more money into the bedding and towels. We were near the construction and never heard it once in the 3 nights we were there. Was sorry that we never had a chance to use the pool but it looked like fun.

Check out day was a mess because we had to unexpectedly leave a day early and the computers were down so nobody could check in or out. They were offering free meals to people checking in because they had to wait which I thought was nice of them. Food court for us was not good, we ate there once for dinner and that was enough. Food in the parks was much better. If I had to compare it to the All Stars at Disney, I would say that it's a couple of steps below. I really wanted to love it because we love all things Universal, but it just wasn't what I expected.

Wow. Could not disagree more. I wouldn't be caught dead at an All-Stars but have thoroughly enjoyed every single stay at Cabana thus far.

What is the difference between Tower and Courtyard family suite rooms? Is one located loser to the lazy river area?

Right now the rooms are at $179. My daughter is going in December for two days. Is this a regular rate for Cabana or will it go up? She is trying to save enough money to book

Summer has high rates
Some dates in December also

Are you looking at standard rooms or rooms with a view and location ?

Check the UO booking site and put in general dates and hotels onsite to get an idea of various costs

Weekend rates can run higher than week days
Room rates from the 25 to ny is high

If your daughter is going with friends, one must be 21 to book and check in

Standard rooms. They are going 12/21-12/23. On the UO website , it is $179 for those dates. I wasn't sure if they would go up or change?

Rates can go up when the hotel starts booking more rooms out

Example
I booked my room at rpr many months ago at $181
The same room if you booked it two weeks ago was $260

My stay is this early October

Suggest they book soon as dec 23 could fill up or raise the room rate

We've just booked to stay at Cabana Bay for the 1st time next January. Originally we were going to stay at Old Key West this September but the costs just kept spiralling out of control and after factors meant we had to cancel.

Being from the UK we think we've bagged a bargain of a deal for Cabana Bay for 2 weeks. Under 1 3rd of the price we were going to pay in September.

Understand that it's not Disney and this is the first time I'm staying off property but i think this can still be an amazing trip.

So for those who don't want to drive and are going to Disney quite a bit, is everyone using Uber to get too and from Cabana Bay? Can uber do return trips to save even more or are there tricks like going to a Disney resort then using the Disney busses to get around?

Really interested in people tips and tricks here

Does anyone know if you can bring your mug back from previous trips and pay for it to work at CB? Do they give you a bit off since you have your own mug?

I went ahead and reserved Cabana Bay for a 5 night stay beginning February 21 which is the Tuesday after Presidents Day. The rate is currently $174 per night. If we could go the week before President's Day it is substantially cheaper but we can't. I will keep my eye out for discounts but is that at all realistic?

I went ahead and reserved Cabana Bay for a 5 night stay beginning February 21 which is the Tuesday after Presidents Day. The rate is currently $174 per night. If we could go the week before President's Day it is substantially cheaper but we can't. I will keep my eye out for discounts but is that at all realistic?
Ouch that is high for Cbay

Keep checking your dates in case they drop
We never know when and if rates will fall

If a hotel does not have the occupancy level they want for certain dates, they can and do drop rates to fill rooms.

Or release special codes for discounted rooms

Ouch that is high for Cbay

Keep checking your dates in case they drop
We never know when and if rates will fall

If a hotel does not have the occupancy level they want for certain dates, they can and do drop rates to fill rooms.

Or release special codes for discounted rooms

Thanks for the response. Yes, I thought it was high too. We really want to stay onsite to avoid driving to the parks everyday. I'll keep looking and hope it goes down a bit.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter