Camcorder ?????'s

Ratpack

WL VET
DVC Gold
Need some opinions on taking camcorder to WDW. First off, let me say that I am not a camcorder person. I don't do a lot of filming anyway. Just don't like living life through a viewfinder I guess. However, WDW is not an every year event, at least for us. My question is, have you found it worth toting the camcorder around the parks just for some video footage?

I was in the same boat in March. (First trip with DD who is four.)Do we or don't we? I debated and decided against it. I didn't miss carrying it or worrying about losing or wrecking it. We tend to look at pictures at home way more than we do videotapes. I know we missed some really good footage but for us the disadvantages outweighed the advantages. I know people will disagree with me, but everyone is different! Good luck with your decision.

Although carrying the camcorder can be a pain, having the video is priceless. Our kids love to watch the videos. It allows them to see themselves at a younger age and to re-live the trip.

We generally take the video camera around with us to the parks, the pools, the boardwalk, the market place, etc. on the first day or two and then only take the still camera. This way you get both video and photographs.

The key is not to video too much of anything but alot of short takes. For example, we find that it is better not to video a whole parade or ride or the fireworks, but only the highlights.

Hope this is helpful.

Steve

The video camera was a real pain the first time we took it. It was just unwieldy to carry it around all day. There are some things that we really wanted it for, though. This time, we found a fanny pack big enough for it along with a few personal items. It worked great!! The camera just rode around in the fanny pack until we needed it. No tired arms from carrying it. No worrying about it getting bumped and banged around. The fanny pack is a Jansport (the one they sell on Passporter) and the camera is a digital Sony Handy Cam. Hope this helps.

What is the web address for passporter? I might consider taking it if I have a good place to put it with it flopping around my arm all day.

I sold these things for 9 years and have heard every horror story you can imagine: "It was too heavy", "The battery was always dead", "I dropped it in the pool" - You get the idea.
I think that if you think you might want video, take a video camera. If you use it, great. If not, oh well. I plan to take one on my next trip. I decided to get one with a built in digital camera. It does video on mini-dv tape and stills on a memory card. The one I picked is cheap (In case I break it), comes with two batteries and is small (VERY small - about the size of a thick paperback) Here's where I bought it: http://www.abtelectronics.com/scripts/site/site_product.php3?id=8613&setflag=1024498932
I like the design of the Sharp. It is easy to use at kid level (No "tops of heads" video) and can be used over crowds during parades. Unlike the side-screen video cameras, the buttons are placed for easy access when using the screen (Since the screen is the only viewfinder) It's not as cheap as others but I figure the included second battery would run about $100 and I don't need to buy a digital camera

(No, I don't work for sharp)

I love my Sharp Viewcam with the screen on the back. I always take it with me to WDW. I was looking at some of the tapes the other day and realized I had about 20 hours of WDW on tape since 1997. I love having the attractions and shows on tape so I can watch them anytime.I also like having them for archives so when they do rehabs I still know what the old attraction was like. I am so glad I taped the original Jouney Into Imagination and Horizons.

I take mine all the time. I would love to have some video of my trips to Disney when I was a kid. However, camcorders were not around then.

I don't really take video constantly, but it is nice to catch the reactions of my son when he sees the characters and the parades. I have my camera on a shoulder strap and it is not a problem carring it around in the parks. Hope this helps a little.

In 1999 we wnt to DL for 4 days and took my Sony at the time. I filmed a lot. It was a pain to carry it. We went to WDW in Oct 2001 and I brought the same and only took it a couple of days. I kinda regret not getting more. But I actually got to see everything since I was not filmimg so much. THIS time a got a new digital Canon. I really liked the quality of the stills I found on Disneypix.com, and thats what most of the stills are, on that site. It is very compact and easy to carry. My stragedy this time is to bring it about 50% of the time and film highlights. I can also take stills and edit it when I get home into a cohesive film. I will still take the reg. camera most days. If I can find a larger fanny pack that will work for both, that would be good. Disney World is very large and I can tell you that overpacking is one of the worst things you can do when traveling!

Now that the kids are older, they are both borrowing them to show their families. The videos get more valuable as the years go buy. I just can't imagine not being able to pull our old videos of the kids when they were younger and watching their faces light up and their little voices talking to the characters at the parks. I say, YES they are worth it and as the years go by you will appreciate it more and more..smjj

We have a pretty small Sony and we don't bring every day to the parks. We've been enough to know not to bring it all the time. We still miss some good shots this way, but that’s the chance you take.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter