Canadian DVC Members - 198 - List on Page 1

here's a little question for you. Have anyone been able to finance with Disney or have you financed elsewhere. We have enough to pay for most of it but we have lots of points to buy as we are a family of 6 and will always need a 2 bedrooms year after year. I think I'm more comfortable to finance with Disney as it's a one shop stop but don't know if any Canadians have been able to do it and if they found a down side to it.

here's a little question for you. Have anyone been able to finance with Disney or have you financed elsewhere. We have enough to pay for most of it but we have lots of points to buy as we are a family of 6 and will always need a 2 bedrooms year after year. I think I'm more comfortable to finance with Disney as it's a one shop stop but don't know if any Canadians have been able to do it and if they found a down side to it.

I looked into it but it was not possible because I live in Quebec, which has more rules wrt timeshare sollicitation. In the end I bought on the resale market for half the price of buying direct and financed it using my line of credit at 3%. It was by far a better deal. We bought 380 points for 20k$, which at 3% means only 600$ in interest per year.

last time i talked with the DVC sales people they told us that Canadians can get financing through Disney except if you live in Quebec and 1 other place i believe it was Alberta but you would probably get a better rate from your own bank Disney has very high interest rates. When we got our DVC we just saved up until we could pay it out right in cash.

Thanks for the replies Networktek & OKW2012. I of course happen to live in Quebec so there goes my idea LOL. I guess we will go resale instead of direct. The more I read and the more it seems it will be the best for us. I don't think we would use our points anyways for cruises or any other hotel. Seems like everyone finds it to be a less then fair trade if not staying at Disney itself.

One more question would you get the 350 points at the same resort since that's roughly what we need for 2 bedroom or do 2 resorts? I know I would only be able to book some points at 11 months out and then try to add to that current stay with the other points at 7 months out if we have 2 home resorts. I wonder how hard it is to get a 2 bedroom in August at most places 7 months out.

Thanks for the replies Networktek & OKW2012. I of course happen to live in Quebec so there goes my idea LOL. I guess we will go resale instead of direct. The more I read and the more it seems it will be the best for us. I don't think we would use our points anyways for cruises or any other hotel. Seems like everyone finds it to be a less then fair trade if not staying at Disney itself.

One more question would you get the 350 points at the same resort since that's roughly what we need for 2 bedroom or do 2 resorts? I know I would only be able to book some points at 11 months out and then try to add to that current stay with the other points at 7 months out if we have 2 home resorts. I wonder how hard it is to get a 2 bedroom in August at most places 7 months out.

If you buy points at two resorts you can use the following strategy to always book at 11mo:

year 1, use points from year 1 and 2 at resort A (you borrow points from that same resort) and bank year 1 points at resort B

year 2, use points from year 1 and year 2 at resort B

Year 3, start over

You can hence alternate resorts and still book at 11mo.

Send me a pm if you want to chat about pros and cons of buying resale and buying two resorts.

If you are buying direct consider buying what you can afford and borrowing points from the next year until you can afford to add on. You will end up paying a bit more for the closing fees but I suspect this will still be less expensive. It also gives you a bit more time to decide exactly how many points you need and if you want to be at one or more than one resort. You may also decide that you are comfortable buying resale and save a few dollars on the next purchase.

As far as more than one resort. We currently own at four different resorts and will often do split stays. Staying a few nights near MK, a few near EPCOT and maybe a few at either DDT area or AKV. While you need to pack up and move you save a lot of time and trouble traveling to the parks. It is much more relaxing walking or taking a boat to a park than catching one of the buses or driving.

been reading DVC forums a lot in anticipation of first purchase….so glad to find a Canadian forum as we are from Ontario.
i've been reading so much but always in back of my mind I was thinking that the posts were from members who lived in Arkansas or Georgia or even better Florida….
thinking that as Canadians we have unique travel issues to consider (and it seems an exchange rate as well!)
Will keep you posted on purchase as it happens.

I'm also a DVC member at BLT! Tack my name on that list too.
I leave for my 3rd trip "home" in 3 weeks now... super excited!

Add my wife and I to your list of Canadian DVC'ers. SSR, WL and BW are our homes, when were not living our non vacation lives in Nova Scotia.

You can add my name to the list. DVCers since Feb 2013 with Bay Lake as our home and we've already made two trips. Christmas 2013 and Epcot Flowre & Garden 2014. We've now got our third trip booked for Oct for MNSSHP and a resort stay plus cruise planned for Jan 2015. :cool1:

From London Ontario here. Current offer at SSR for 200 points is going through ROFR and will be hearing back by July 20th. Super excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter