Canceling next week's WDW trip. šŸ˜„ NY alternatives?

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
We are NY'ers who can't quarantine because DD17 begins her senior year 2 days after we return, plus the risk is higher for DH (heart stint). I know I should suck it up and let it go, but it hurts so bad it's almost physical. I got thru Covid and then covered at work for 3 coworkers who worked from home for months. I know I should count my blessings, but my Disney trip is what I look forward to on a regular basis. I would love to reschedule and keep my discount, but having to work around school vacations only leaves us with Xmas. Airfare would be high and DH doesn't want to go then. Hopefully next year will put all this in the rearview and it will just be a bad memory. Are there any amazing resorts in NY that have fun activities (not water parks) and great food?

Being from Alaska I feel your pain. Depending on what you are looking for you might want to rent a cabin and take the trails and watch Disney movies at night. On You Tube "Tim The Traveler", has a video about just going to the tree houses and spending time. You can also check out "Provost Park Pass" they have some videos about bringing Disney to your home. Find out what kind of activity your DD17 likes and try to include them. I have a grandson who is 17 and i know how hard sometimes it is to get them to open up. I have been taking him hiking every Monday this summer to get him out.

We were in the same boat. We were supposed to be there this past week but canceled about a month ago. Just got back from Hershey for a few days. Restrictions aren't bad at all (have to wear masks in parks) but basically everything is open and waits for rides was almost non existent. 5-10 minutes max on everything. Good thing is also Pennsylvania is not on the quarantine list for NY so no quarantine. It's not Disney, but we had fun

Just check NYSā€™s tourism guide ( think it ends in .gov instead of .com) by googling. Youā€™ll find tons of possibilities throughout the state. Off the top of my head Boltonā€™s Landing , the Adirondacks ā€œcabinsā€, The Finger Lakes, Lake George, and Thousand Islands, spring to mind.

We vacced 60 miles from home instate due to the pandemic; enjoyed ourselves, didnā€™t feel deprived and found it easy to maintain social distancing which is still enforced in my part of the state. No pesky 14 day quarantining needed either.

can you go to a state that isnt on the list, then from there go to fla, then back there to ny again

can you go to a state that isnt on the list, then from there go to fla, then back there to ny again

NY state is currently celebrating it's 8th consecutive day of an infection rate below 1%. Today's stats are:

Of the 88,668 tests reported yesterday,
734 were positive (0.83% of total).
Total hospitalizations fell to 523.
Sadly, there were 5 COVID fatalities yesterday.

We worked hard to bring our infection rate down and KEEP it low. It didn't happen by luck. We do not need people encouraging other people to lie and figure out ways to visit a high COVID state, where they have a total of 44,916 positive cases for the last 7 days according to the CDC, and bring COVID back with them to NY and risk spreading it around by not following the proper protocols.

NY state is currently celebrating it's 8th consecutive day of an infection rate below 1%. Today's stats are:

Of the 88,668 tests reported yesterday,
734 were positive (0.83% of total).
Total hospitalizations fell to 523.
Sadly, there were 5 COVID fatalities yesterday.

We worked hard to bring our infection rate down and KEEP it low. It didn't happen by luck. We do not need people encouraging other people to lie and figure out ways to visit a high COVID state, where they have a total of 44,916 positive cases for the last 7 days according to the CDC, and bring COVID back with them to NY and risk spreading it around by not following the proper protocols.

you guys are doing great but still lead the nation in deaths, I think part of your later sucess is buy the monster mistake of putting people in the nursing homes and that killed off most of the high risk people

What about Lancaster, PA. Was our favorite destination when we lived on Long Island. Could team it up with a day or 2 in Hershey. Would highly recommend the Amish View Inn. Excellent hotel, hot breakfast provided every morning, Amish tours. All the Amish activities around, Dutch Wonderland (while more of a kiddie park itā€™s still a fun park).

Thank you, Imzadi for your thorough and accurate data. As an upstate New Yorker Iā€™m very proud and thankful for all the people in our state who pulled together to bring our numbers down. We donā€™t need ignorance and attempts to thwart regulations. Shouldnā€™t posts suggesting this type of behavior be banned from the Boards?

California currently leads the nation in the most COVID case at: 601,075 cases. Next is FL with 557,337, TX with 520,593, and GA with 231,895,
I am completely confused as to what all the data provided has to do with a New York state resident looking for a New York state vacation destination :confused3. Or am I wrong about OP living in NYS?

I am completely confused as to what all the data provided has to do with a New York state resident looking for a New York state vacation destination :confused3. Or am I wrong about OP living in NYS?

I was replying to Low Key. Are his posts not showing up for you? Understandable if so.

Imzadi, that was interesting and explained a few things to me. I have never understood why New York gets so much criticism when the state really did a good job. The states that deserve criticism IMO are places that knew more and yet let things get out of control later like Florida and (sigh...) Texas.

As for the move back to nursing homes, scientific research has shown that it DIDN'T cause the many nursing home deaths. This was unfortunately when scientists didn't know that people could be asymptomatic spreaders. Many of the NY healthcare workers have tested positive for having antibodies, that show they were asymptomatic with COVID during Feb - April, and unfortunately brought it in the nursing homes with them.

Full Report at:
https://www.health.ny.gov/press/releases/2020/2020-07-06_covid19_nursing_home_report.htm

<Snipped section>
"ALBANY, N.Y. (July 6, 2020) - The New York State Department of Health today released results of an in-depth analysis of nursing home data that found COVID-19 fatalities in nursing homes were related to infected nursing home staff. The full report can be found here.​
David L. Reich MD, President and COO of The Mount Sinai Hospital, said: "Mount Sinai scientists published a report last week, demonstrating the presence of antibodies to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, in saved blood specimens as early as the week ending February 23. This means that the virus was spreading in the NYC metropolitan region approximately three weeks earlier. The conclusions of the NYSDOH report of the root causes of nursing home fatalities in New York State are well supported by the data detailing nursing home staff COVID-19 illness, and epidemiological patterns, especially considering evidence of the duration of contagiousness for COVID-19 patients. We all hope to learn from these data and work with NYSDOH and nursing home partners to maximize safety for our most vulnerable citizens as this pandemic continues to evolve."​
Mr. Michael Dowling, CEO, Northwell Health, said: "This important data-based study confirms what we saw in our own facilities and around the state --that when the virus hit our local communities, it quickly spread through asymptomatic carriers into our nursing homes, hospitals, places of worship and other congregate settings. This study highlighted a critically important fact that the overwhelming majority of hospital patients sent back into nursing homes were not only medically stable, they were no longer contagious, and that 81 percent of the nursing homes receiving COVID patients from New York's hospitals already had the virus. This rigorous, fact-driven analysis provides critical insight as we move forward into the next phase of this pandemic and continue to look for new ways to improve health outcomes for patients."​
The executive summary to the report is below:​
"In an effort to learn for the future from the data now available from the earliest days of the first in a century pandemic that swept across the globe and into the United States, the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) conducted an in-depth analysis of self-reported nursing home data that finds that COVID-19 fatalities in nursing homes were related to infected nursing home staff. The NYSDOH analysis found:​
  • The timing of staff infections correlates with the timing of peak nursing home resident mortality across the state;
  • Nursing home employee infections were related to the most impacted regions in the state;
  • Peak nursing home admissions occurred a week after peak nursing home mortality, therefore illustrating that nursing home admissions from hospitals were not a driver of nursing home infections or fatalities;
  • Most patients admitted to nursing homes from hospitals were no longer contagious when admitted and therefore were not a source of infection; and,
  • Nursing home quality was not a factor in nursing home fatalities.
According to data submitted by nursing homes, in many cases under the penalty of perjury, approximately 37,500 nursing home staff members ā€” one in four of the state's approximately 158,000 nursing home workers ā€” were infected with COVID-19 between March and early June 2020. Of the 37,500 nursing home staff infected, nearly 7,000 of them were working in facilities in the month of March; during the same period, more than a third of the state's nursing home facilities had residents ill with the virus. Roughly 20,000 infected nursing home workers were known to be COVID-positive by the end of the month of April. These workforce infections are reflective of the larger geographic impact of the virus's presence across the state.​
NYSDOH further analyzed the timing of the COVID-positive staff infections and the timing of nursing home deaths. Based on published data, the average length of time between COVID-19 infections to death is between 18-25 days.[1] Therefore, the link between the timing of staff infection and nursing home mortality is supported by the fact that the peak number of nursing home staff reported COVID-19 symptoms on March 16, 2020 ā€” 23 days prior to the date of the peak nursing home fatalities, which occurred on April 8, 2020. It is likely that thousands of employees who were infected in mid-March transmitted the virus unknowingly ā€” through no fault of their own ā€” while working, which then led to resident infection."
Imzadi, I know you are VERY PASSIONATE about this subject! :hyper: Much of what you wrote, I agree with. :thumbsup2

But I would be remiss if I let the parts above go without presenting the "other side" to it, which is being investigated now by some overseers from all sides of the political fence - who are looking independently at what happened with the nursing home issue in your area. I know you have faith that Gov Cuomo's own Dept of Public Health report which you listed above is 100% correct, and seem to agree that it should be the final word, but if all was as they say then nobody should have a problem with others going over it again, right? Just to give their opinions as well.

I can't do as good a job at explaining as two of these articles do, so I will just post them for people to read if they like. My own opinion, and yes, as a frontline Covid healthcare worker, is that I think it's an oversimplification to blame just the healthcare workers in these homes for all the Covid cases there. Many factors were obviously at play, as they are everywhere. The articles also say that the number of nursing home deaths in NY were underreported, which may make sense when compared to other states, especially where, as you've said, NYC was the "epicenter" during this time period. I don't know if they'll be recounting as part of this re-look, or whether that would even be possible, but just think that's important, too, when looking at the numbers.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cuo...-covid-independent-investigation-death-2020-8
https://apnews.com/4247aa5d314e87c994a69b49d6ad011e

We really enjoyed Lake George a few years ago. There is a water park, but there were plenty of other things to choose from as well - historical sights, mini golf, lake activities...we wished we had more time there.

I've never been to Hershey Park (suggested above) but I would definitely check that out as well.

We are NY'ers who can't quarantine because DD17 begins her senior year 2 days after we return, plus the risk is higher for DH (heart stint). I know I should suck it up and let it go, but it hurts so bad it's almost physical. I got thru Covid and then covered at work for 3 coworkers who worked from home for months. I know I should count my blessings, but my Disney trip is what I look forward to on a regular basis. I would love to reschedule and keep my discount, but having to work around school vacations only leaves us with Xmas. Airfare would be high and DH doesn't want to go then. Hopefully next year will put all this in the rearview and it will just be a bad memory. Are there any amazing resorts in NY that have fun activities (not water parks) and great food?
OMG I feel your pain. We went through the same thing and believe it or not I am still sad about it. We were set to go on Aug 7 and return on July 25! Longest trip ever and best prices all around which we were able to book before this pandemic. When you say it is almost a physical hurt I agree. My husband also has diabetes and a stent.

OMG I feel your pain. We went through the same thing and believe it or not I am still sad about it. We were set to go on Aug 7 and return on July 25! Longest trip ever and best prices all around which we were able to book before this pandemic. When you say it is almost a physical hurt I agree. My husband also has diabetes and a stent.

Wow, almost a year at WDW! Yes, I know itā€™s a type on one (or both) months, but can you imagine a trip that really was that long?

Wow, almost a year at WDW! Yes, I know itā€™s a type on one (or both) months, but can you imagine a trip that really was that long?
Sorry I mixed the months! Yes it is a typo and wishful thinking! Hit the post unintentionally!

you guys are doing great but still lead the nation in deaths, I think part of your later sucess is buy the monster mistake of putting people in the nursing homes and that killed off most of the high risk people
My small town had 37 deaths, 557 cases we donā€™t have a nursing home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter