Canceling next week's WDW trip. 😥 NY alternatives?

I am unaware of the restricitions you said but will look into. But watched almost every news conference by Cuomo and do not recall him bringing this up as an issue. I do recall him asking for change to the ships abilighty to take on Covid patients which was slowly addressed.
Nor were the hospital where I work ever full to the point that I feel they needed to take such drastic action

We canceled our usual trip down to the Jersey Shore this year. :( We're thinking of heading up north to the Catskills. It easier to just find rocks off the paths to perch on and hang than wend our way along the boardwalk.
There are so many great places to vacation in NYS I’m sure you’ll find the right spot for your family. Should we travel anymore this year Im confident it’ll be within the state so there are less quarantine concerns and what ifs if a hot spot flares up again :cool:

There are so many great places to vacation in NYS I’m sure you’ll find the right spot for your family. Should we travel anymore this year Im confident it’ll be within the state so there are less quarantine concerns and what ifs if a hot spot flares up again :cool:

Yep. Thinking exactly the same thing. The infection rate is down to 0.78%. Nineth day of below 1%. :woohoo: That may end when schools start in NYC. :headache: But for right now, vacationing here will likely remain pretty safe.

I know the OP is looking for a bit more excitement & fun for her family. But, living in a city that's visually over-stimulating every day, just perching on some rocks and staring at trees, by a lake or waterfall, sounds wonderful to me. We have great waterfalls in NYS. :love:

I am unaware of the restricitions you said but will look into. But watched almost every news conference by Cuomo and do not recall him bringing this up as an issue. I do recall him asking for change to the ships abilighty to take on Covid patients which was slowly addressed.
Nor were the hospital where I work ever full to the point that I feel they needed to take such drastic action

I'm not even from NY (but work for the Navy) and what Imzadi posted is correct. The Comfort was originally set up as an overflow for non-COVID patients. Then changed over to take COVID patients, but being a ship, has a lot of restrictions on it.

By the time the Comfort was in NY anyway and was still in non-COVID status, the issues with the nursing home patients was already done.

We canceled our usual trip down to the Jersey Shore this year. :( We're thinking of heading up north to the Catskills. It easier to just find rocks off the paths to perch on and hang than wend our way along the boardwalk.
I’m SO glad we booked an oceanfront house again this year, just walk straight over the dune onto the beach, a mile from the boardwalk. i had thought about doing a cruise, but knew dd24 and ds22 were working. Turns out both ended up working remotely so they were able to stay the entire week. I’m guessing it was our last family vacation with everyone.

I’m SO glad we booked an oceanfront house again this year, just walk straight over the dune onto the beach, a mile from the boardwalk. i had thought about doing a cruise, but knew dd24 and ds22 were working. Turns out both ended up working remotely so they were able to stay the entire week. I’m guessing it was our last family vacation with everyone.

That sounds so lovely. :love: :beach:

The Finger Lakes are spectacular! We kind of felt embarrassed that we haven’t been tourists in our own great state more. The lakes are clean, clear, and not crowded. We rented a speed boat, tube, water skis and kayaks for a fraction of the cost of doing Disney for the day. Hiking and wineries are safe and so much fun. It relaxing, beautiful, and it was one of our best trips.

Should be in Epcot right now.

I'd steer clear of PA - they're above 5% right now, on the Johns Hopkins site, so they're headed straight for the naughty list when it gets updated on Tuesday.

I couldn't deal with the thought of Lake George, etc... so we went to Cape Cod for 4 days when we were supposed to be on our DCL Caribbean cruise. Not our favorite destination, but at least it had the ocean and good take-out. I'm also seriously considering Cape May or Wildwood... again, not at all our normal destinations, if we're going to the beach we prefer OBX, for one more escape before whatever September brings.

Sorry one New Yorker here that thinks there were some really bad mistakes at first (Subways and old age homes among others). There was plenty of room at Javits and other areas to send elderly cases.
I said early on here it was insane on the Subway, there was no one making sure masks were worn(Early on & it was one of the few indoor areas I witnessed people not wearing mask), finally they did something about it in May or June.
Both of these policies changed But both had concers raised about them well before the policy changed. drastically later. They might have been from lack of understanding but regardless they cost many lives.

But cheers NYers who all pulled together and wore masks, and t be honest I think it was because of what hit us so quickly and so severe. My daughter worked for the most part in store through the entire thing and people were incredibly cautious for most part.
Everyone I knew wore a mask and was scared as hell. I wish we could have spread the fear that almost everyone I knew here all over the county.
Very few idiots who felt there was some kind of right being taken away by being asked to wear a mask. At least in Queens I think in part cause you saw ambulences every day.
As NYCers of a certain age, we began wearing masks And self quarantining sometime around the end of Feb/ start of Mar. We took the subway into Manhattan as needed to food shop (still hadn’t got into the rythmn of local shopping after decades of shopping on the UWS). We found the subways uncrowded but that could be due to our traveling during non peak hours for the most part. The man got the evil eye the first time he took the train solo as he forgot not to sit next to his fellow travelers; taught him quick not to do that again, Lol.
As for the military ship and Javits? They were both set up and used with specific guidelines with no control by the city. As I recall, Cuomo didn’t make a big fuss about the ultimately underutilized ship and I think it was because it was the first time the federal administration deigned to do anything of a significant material nature and he didn’t want to peeve them further. I can include links if you want them.

Last edited:
Spent many summers in Lake George. Wonderful spot, and just bout the coldest water you will ever put your foot into till about this time Mid August.

I'm not even from NY (but work for the Navy) and what Imzadi posted is correct. The Comfort was originally set up as an overflow for non-COVID patients. Then changed over to take COVID patients, but being a ship, has a lot of restrictions on it.

By the time the Comfort was in NY anyway and was still in non-COVID status, the issues with the nursing home patients was already done.
Then ship could have taken on others then and hospitals could have kept elderly which was the intital plan. There were plenty of other facilities such as facility in Central Park & Javits. And like I said from what I could tell though very taxed even keeping them in the crowded hospitals would have beeen better. IMO. It was a ridiculously stupid idea to send them to facilites where so many other elderly were at risk and propper quarentining and equipment was imposible. I'm sorry stupid beyond comprehension to me , and trust me I am pretty stupid. I believe early on the facilities were closed to visitors but not to patient returning with covid.

Last edited:
I'm also seriously considering Cape May or Wildwood... again, not at all our normal destinations, if we're going to the beach we prefer OBX, for one more escape before whatever September brings.

Last I heard, about a month ago, part of Wildwood beach was closed. Probably the big section. The NJ Gov. thought it would attract too many people to make it safe.

Also, a general FYI: for anyone going to the Jersey Shore beaches (and Long Island, NY, too,) check to see what the restrictions are on beach tags. Due to overcrowding, many of the beaches are limiting beach tags. Some are only giving them out to local residents now. And other beach tags, due to limiting the numbers of tags given out, if you aren't there by 9:30, 10:30 at the latest, you are so out of luck.

I think you are safe with Jones Beach and Robert Moses as they are state parks and cannot restrict, but many others I believe are restriciting to towns/counties. Believe both are first come first serve and fill up pretty early. Or at least they did couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
Last I heard, about a month ago, part of Wildwood beach was closed. Probably the big section. The NJ Gov. thought it would attract too many people to make it safe.

Also, a general FYI: for anyone going to the Jersey Shore beaches (and Long Island, NY, too,) check to see what the restrictions are on beach tags. Due to overcrowding, many of the beaches are limiting beach tags. Some are only giving them out to local residents now. And other beach tags, due to limiting the numbers of tags given out, if you aren't there by 9:30, 10:30 at the latest, you are so out of luck.
No tags needed in Wildwood, and none in Cape May after Labor Day. Island beach state park and sandy hook filled up quickly every day (they always do but earlier in the morning than usual), getting tags during the week seemed okay (my teens went down a lot, and folks reported on the town Facebook page), weekends you need to get their by 11 (some beaches sold them online the night before). September should be fine.

If the kids aren’t going back to school in person, it’s tempting to book something fir September.

If you watched the national news the last few weeks, AZ, TX and FL all reported some of their hospitals were at or near capacity. They showed videos of COVID patients in the hallways. They also mentioned there wasn't enough beds, and sometimes ventilators. They had to wait for a bed to be free, which sometimes meant people died, freeing up the bed to be filled with the next COVID patient.

Some of NYC went through the same thing. Elmhurst Hospital in Queens went though exactly the same thing and was on the news, with almost the same reports and video footage. I felt like I was going through déjà vu. I had to stop watching as I thought I wouldn't see those kind of incidences until we went through a second wave here in the fall.

Corona, NY, (Queens) lists 5047 COVID cases in ONE zip code. Similar for adjacent Elmhurst with 3,492 cases, East Elmhurst with 1,724 and Jackson Heights with 2,782 cases. That'sover 13,000 COVID cases in that one area for Elmhurst hospital to handle. :(

Here is an article that was in the NY Post and was also on the local news stations, during the apex, when there were COVID case coming to a hospital in NYC every 14 minutes and a COVID death happening every 2.5 minutes. There just wasn't enough ambulances to get to everyone on time. So, the EMS and ambulances were told that if they arrived and couldn't find a pulse, to NOT try to resuscitate. To simply report the death, and head onto the next person on the very long 911 list. It's actually a war time tactic that medics out on the battle fields use. They can't save everyone. While they are working on someone who can't be saved, someone else they can save may be dying.

Once it was reported in the NY Post, they stopped doing this. Yet, there was an updated/revised daily COVID deaths list, sometime later, where about 3000 new cases were added on one day. When asked what those cases were, the Dept. of Health said it was the cases where the National Guard retrieved bodies at people's homes. :( They might not all be from not resuscitating people. That's still a lot of people who died at home, possibly alone. :(

https://nypost.com/2020/04/21/ny-issues-do-not-resuscitate-guideline-for-cardiac-patients/

Hey, I just noticed, :magnify: how did an emoticon/smiley get in the thread title? I thought they couldn't be added to titles? :confused3

OP here. Supposed to fly out Tues and Covid % still up in FL, so it's a definite no. Try to get DH and DD17 excited about a place in the Catskills called Sunny Hill or Hershey Park, but everything was met with a negative response. As much as I'm fantasizing going without them, I still gotta live with them. So, I moved our WDW trip to Dec. We are going after Xmas so DH can have his family time. It'll be 5 less nights for an extra 500 more than the extra 1200 we were already paying to go without FD in Aug. Hoping to find a justification for the extra $$.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter