CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 6: Nassau
We ordered continental breakfast to the room again. They always call about ten minutes after they deliver it to make sure everything is as ordered and to ask if you need anything else. They did this for us on the Vista too. Very good service. Our ship was first in port but not for long-- DCL Magic was pulling in. We got ready quickly and got off the ship at about 8:30 am. It was a gorgeous day. We walked to the queens staircase (free) and up to the fort (can't remember, but about $3 pp to enter). We have done this before but maybe 4 years ago when we left the younger kids in DCL kids club. So it was new for them. We originally got the "self walking tour" idea from the DCL unofficial guide. They have a Nassau self walking tour in there which is great. The unofficial guide tour goes beyond the fort and continues to other sites... but today one of the kids said he had had enough and wanted to go to the kids club. Of course! So we walked back to port, stopping at a gift shop to get a mini snow globe made in China that said Nassau on it and had a dolphin inside ($4.50). Junk! When we got back to port, the party had begun. DCL Wonder was now also docked (those pushy DCL ships got the first 2 slots closest to the city. lol), along with CCL Liberty and NCL Escape, which DH said, "looked right out of the box." Talk about a pristine looking ship. They were next to us and getting their party music and red carpet set up! Funny, because people on Dis always say that everyone not on the DCL ships wishes they were on the DCL ships when in port with them. Well... After walking past all the ships, I could tell we were all thinking the same thing, and finally the 8 year old busted out with it. "Boy, I'd love to go on that ship," he said, pointing at the NCL Escape, "Book that one for our next vacation." Lol, Disney, you've lost the 8 year old boy market. So we dropped him off at kids club and took off again for Nassau and the Pirate Museum (about $13 adults, $6 kids up to 18- love that). This was new for us and if you have younger kids, I recommend it. The museum is in a beautiful building and very well done, but it is a short exhibition and if you are just going with adults you may feel like you did not get your money's worth. The theme continues with an attached bar/restaurant, Smuggler's Bar, and also a Starbucks. We did not go to them, but they looked cool. The entire area is nice. After the museum we decided to call it a day and headed back to the ship. We stopped at a place that had 3 for $25 t-shirts and Tortuga Rum shop to buy a cake ($20). The shopping streets were packed at this point and we headed back for a Guy's burger and the Chocolate Dessert bar on our last day.
I just want to mention if you do the Queen's Staircase on your own, you might get people trying to appoint themselves to be your tour guide. They do not work there and are just entrepreneurial (gotta love it). Both times we have walked the staircase, we just said that we were fine alone, thank you. No issue.
That night we hit one more comedy show, mdr which had prime rib and baked Alaska (waitstaff did fire show with Baked Alaska-- awesome), picked up a couple of photos at Pixels, watched the balloon drop where "Harvey" from a room on deck 1 won the giveaway even though my kids had stacked the deck and did 3 balloons each. lol. The kids went to the kids club at about 8 and came out at about 9 with a bunch of swag, saying they were "so sad." It is awful, that last night, and the only thing that makes it better is booking another cruise, or thinking about the one you have already booked. We went back to pack and gave our Jordan Schlansky type (Conan Obrien utube) steward an extra tip (not huge $40 total for 2 rooms) because he was also awesome and he said, "God bless you," which a steward has never said to me and made me want to cry even though I am not really religious because it was so sweet of him to say and I was going to miss him and the ship and all of it.

Last edited:
Final observations:
No issues with drinking on Vista or Conquest cruise. Drinking level same as DCL on both cruises. Dh preferred Conquest to Vista because the ship felt much less crowded than Vista even though fully booked. But DH also thinks DCL Dream and Fantasy feel too crowded at times in the buffet and kids club hallway. The Conquest has so many venues for events. Felt like more than on both Vista and all DCL ships. We always found seating at the buffet no matter how crowded. This was not always the case for us on any DCL ship. Our teen preferred the Vista to the Conquest because of the extra activities on the top deck like the sky ride. Our younger kids did not miss those things, or anything on DCL, but one still talks about some top deck activities that were on NCL. Our two younger kids simply loved Camp Ocean on both ships and wanted to go there frequently. I forgot to mention one of our kids won a ship on a stick in the kids club for a lipsinc contest. He was beyond thrilled. This cracks me up, because he is not the type and told us not to mention how he won it to anyone back home. The kids club CCL (Camp Ocean) is really wonderful.
One of our kids was in the older camp ocean group (sharks) and this group often went to a conference room on deck 4. Camp Ocean is on deck 12. I read about this before the cruise on CC and thought it might be an issue but ds preferred this venue to the regular club. Lots of organized activities, crafts and games for all age groups in Camp Ocean. More than on DCL and our younger kids still prefer Camp Ocean to the DCL clubs. They were happy with DCL until around age 6 after which point they started to say they were board and spent a lot of time watching the Mickey cartoon loop in the stateroom. Lol. I know those new Mickey cartoons by heart. Teen club was more similar to DCL in terms of activities. Very cool theming of French cafe in the arts district of Paris. Rivals oh la la bar on DCL for theming. Our teen has never been interested in the teen clubs on DCL and is not interested in them on CCL. This is probably a personality thing. He is very social but I guess just not on vacation? At least not yet! We saw lots of scavenger hunts going on with that age group and it looked like a lot of fun.
He hangs out with us and his brothers but he is very interested in photography (like kids that age) and we can always find him on a top deck when we are leaving or coming into port filming time lapses. He also reads on loungers in the sun and brought a library book from home but also found a Dan Brown book in the ship library which he borrowed. He loves the Dive in Movies and sat for a double feature one night they were showing Justice League and then Thor. That night they also showed Bladerunner at midnight but we convinced him to ditch it because we were going to the beach early the next morning. The last night they were showing Coco and he wanted us all to go watch it but we all got swept up in last night activities. We checked for it at every redbox we saw on the way home but it was always out.

We missed Matt and when we go on CCL Dream this summer we cannot wait for the Flying Scotsman as we love the more engaged cruise director on the Vista. But we still felt like there was always something going on and we did not get to do everything we wanted because there were so many things to choose from. I think Matt sets the bar very high. We missed the headliner show Flick which we had read is good and planned on seeing. Everything just gets so busy. The comedians on this cruise were hysterical, especially Mark Sweeney.
There was a larger dessert choice on the Vista at the coffee bar (no blue velvet on Conquest at least not our cruise) which we missed but the bar itself (not the dessert case) was larger and had almost no lines. On the Vista there were always lines for the coffee bar. We ended up meeting a lot of fun people in those lines, but the "empty" feel on the Conquest was very relaxing. The coffee bar has the buy 6 get one free card.

The buffet and food offerings elsewhere throughout the ship are identical to the Vista as far as we could tell.
We are not big tv people, but Carnival's decision to drop so many channels is a bummer. I suspect they will revisit this sometime in the future. Also the kids watched the channel Boomerang occasionally on the Vista and loved it- it was all old tom and jerry and old bugs bunny cartoons. Well now it is new Tom and Jerry and new Bugs bunny which I did not know even existed but the kids did not like them and kept asking for the "old" boomerang channel.

At this point I am the only one in the family still tempted by DCL and so I cannot see us going back in the forseeable future. It has to be an off season cruise to begin even justifying the price. But even with similar pricing, the kids are not interested (I tried lobbying with them for one in 2019 and lost. Pricing was not similar for that one and pretty awful but I was still lobbying. DH said okay, but kids said no. Lol Disney, what's up with that?). DH is REALLY not interested and would only go with DCL again for me. Now that he has experienced the food options on other lines, he is very critical of DCL regardless of pricing. The kids do still ask to go to wdw. We love cruising mostly because we are beach people and it allows us to see beaches all over the Caribbean. DCL is more limited on that front too. We will eventually do Alaska and Panama Canal but we are most happy bouncing around the Caribbean. Every time we look at Alaska, DH says let's do it another time. Not a fan of cold. Kind of funny but we had an Alaska cruise booked with DCL for 2015 and ended up cancelling because, well, the beach called. But that cruise was right at $8000 and I have looked at pricing for kicks for 2019... close to $14k. Good lord. Same week, same people, same ship, same cabins. We have looked into Panama Canal and always assumed we would do DCL for that one, but other lines have much more calendar availability and better itineraries there too... not to mention the elephant in the room, $$$. I won't say never say never, but we really really love Carnival and want to try other lines too. We also love NCL, but the kids did not like the kids club half as much as on CCL.

If pushed I would probably pick the Conquest over the Vista because I am a sucker for theming of any kind and agree that there is a lot of space on the Conquest. But there are things I love about both ships. One thing DH pointed out was that the Conquest was in exceptional condition, and it was. He really notices stuff like that.

I am being dragged to costco right now. No food in the house. More photos will be coming soon. I really wanted to put them in the text to do a "proper" review but they are coming...

Last edited:
We have done 1 Disney, 1 Royal and 8 Carnival cruises. Getting off and on the ship with Carnival is my sole complaint. We just did the Royal cruise and I felt it did not compare to Carnival in most areas...like food and bar service and activities...Carnival does it better IMO. But the one thing going for Royal, IMO, was they knew how to promptly get folks on and off the ship. Except disembark day...that was mass chaos. Carnival always has long lines to get off and back on in port...and tendering is worse.
Embarkation on Vista last summer was chaos for us, but embarkation on Conquest was very smooth. It will be interesting to see how it is this summer with CCL out of NOLA.

Ok, I am loving the Conquest review! Thank you we'reofftoneverland! This is one of the ships we are looking at booking. I thought it interesting that the people from Crown Princess were saying it was too quiet and a much older crowd. Good to know, since we also looked at that one. I don't remember if Half Moon Cay was the private island we went to with Carnival or not? Does anyone remember how long they have been going there? Can't wait to see pics.
We want to try Princess too! I have heard they have old love boat episodes on a loop on one tv channel. That's enough to get us on. A princess ship (Regal) followed us out of Port Everglades and was playing the Love Boat theme on it's horn.

Great review we'reofftoneverland. I've only tendered once and it was easy so hoping you just had a one-off bad experience. We are booked on Crown Princess for 2019 but it's a European cruise so we will fit right in!
I am sure you will love Princess. I also heard they have Discovery Channel theme activities at the kids club-- sounds great. Some people in the coffee line when we were on the Vista last summer said the pastries at the coffee bar on Princess were amazing-- and free!

Are you embarking in Miami?

When we boarded the Vista, it went very well: they called a group every minute or two. There was a lot of seats in the waiting room. Staff was nice. It was a good experience.

We want to try Princess too! I have heard they have old love boat episodes on a loop on one tv channel. That's enough to get us on. A princess ship (Regal) followed us out of Port Everglades and was playing the Love Boat theme on it's horn.

We have done Grand Princess and really loved it. Did not feel like it was an older crowd at all, so not sure why the Crown would be so different? I think you would like Princess because you mentioned you like theming and their ships are gorgeous. I have seen the Regal in pics and would love to sail it, or her sister ship, the Royal.

My husband is second guessing our decision to book a 7 nights southern caribbean cruise with NCL. He says he'd rather do 2 (shorter) cruises instead of a long one and try different ships and cruise lines. I guess I do care more about destinations than he does.

In his mind, nothing is ever gonna beat Grand Cayman. :rotfl2:

I have to admit that the idea of cruising more often is appealing....

Hmmmm....

Decisions, decisions... :scratchin

My husband is second guessing our decision to book a 7 nights southern caribbean cruise with NCL. He says he'd rather do 2 (shorter) cruises instead of a long one and try different ships and cruise lines. I guess I do care more about destinations than he does.

In his mind, nothing is ever gonna beat Grand Cayman. :rotfl2:

I have to admit that the idea of cruising more often is appealing....

Hmmmm....

Decisions, decisions... :scratchin
Curaçao really beats Grand Cayman by a huge margin, I’m just sayin’

Oh well. After a long discussion, we decided to cancel the NCL southern Caribbean cruise we had planned for 2019 (which would have been awesome but a bit expensive for us right now with all the renovations we need to do on the house + some incertainties)...

We went for a cruise that should cost us 1000$ less.

We replaced it with a 5 nights Eastern (Grand Turk and Amber Cove) ... In a Cloud 9 spa cabin (OMG OMG OMG!) ... On the Carnival Sunshine, which is one of the Carnival ships I've been dying to try!

I'm not sad. Southern is just postponed. :)

Last edited:
Why don’t you join us on Horizon for the 8 night Southern on 6/1/19?

I wish I could! :) It will depend on how things are regarding work! (Lots of incertainties regarding DH work as the company he works for should be sold in 2018).

But DH and I always book for our birthdays in April and our anniversary in October... We usually add a Trip to NYC or else in between... So I never say never!

Anybody ever stopped at Amber Cove?

What did you think of it?

I've seen videos and I think it looks beautiful with the mountains in the background. It reminds me of Jamaica a bit.

Does anybody know what is included and what isn't included?

Anybody ever stopped at Amber Cove?

What did you think of it?

I've seen videos and I think it looks beautiful with the mountains in the background. It reminds me of Jamaica a bit.

Does anybody know what is included and what isn't included?

I stopped there on fathom and was NOT impressed. It is small and definitely contained within gates that are guarded by armed guards.

Zero food is included.

There is a pool, which I think is included - but meh, I don't do pools. They gross me out.

There is no beach - you have to do an excursion out of the armed-guarded gates to get to a beach (and most of those are about 30 minutes away in an armed-guarded collection of resorts.

They have "cabanas" you can buy for the day - either hillside, poolside, or over water. But the furniture looked like cheap lawn stuff - not nice teak furniture.

There's a shopping area within the gates that has your standard stuff and some local stuff. Meh. Nothing special IMHO.

It is manufactured to be a port, and it FEELS manufactured - complete with fake amber ornamentation all over the place.

Honestly if I was ever on a ship going there (not likely unless I decided to give Princess a try and they went there) I would make it a "docked sea day" and not bother getting off the ship.

I stopped there on fathom and was NOT impressed. It is small and definitely contained within gates that are guarded by armed guards.

Zero food is included.

There is a pool, which I think is included - but meh, I don't do pools. They gross me out.

There is no beach - you have to do an excursion out of the armed-guarded gates to get to a beach (and most of those are about 30 minutes away in an armed-guarded collection of resorts.

They have "cabanas" you can buy for the day - either hillside, poolside, or over water. But the furniture looked like cheap lawn stuff - not nice teak furniture.

There's a shopping area within the gates that has your standard stuff and some local stuff. Meh. Nothing special IMHO.

It is manufactured to be a port, and it FEELS manufactured - complete with fake amber ornamentation all over the place.

Honestly if I was ever on a ship going there (not likely unless I decided to give Princess a try and they went there) I would make it a "docked sea day" and not bother getting off the ship.

I was expecting the place to be heavily guarded as it is in Dominican Republic.

I don't plan to get out of there since I love pools (I'm usually not grossed out by them) and heard DR is quite unsafe.

TBH, I'm not expecting to do anything more than I did in Jamaica which is: having a drink in a bar surrounded by cute mountains and a little vegetation. Let's just say I have higher expectations from Grand Turk and I chose this cruise for the ship & because it was not Nassau. LOL

Thanks for the information regarding the food. I'll make sure to bring cash... (Do they take cash?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter