Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

I canceled last week on day 46 prior to cruising. We did have the option of moving 100% to another date but at this point I don't think my mom is interested in ever cruising again. Once you move it, there is no option for any type of refund. So, for us, it made the most sense to cancel and lose as little as possible which was just the deposit. We did have the travel insurance through Disney so we have the option of filing a claim. We could then use 75% of the non-refundable deposit to apply towards a future cruise. I haven't filed the claim yet because I'm fairly certain the cruise will be canceled and hoping I'll be able to recoup the deposit.
Same here. Once you take the 100% rebooking deal, there is no ability to cancel and get any portion refunded.

Did you cancel before DCL offered temporary flexible cancellation? I thought all sailings through May 31 are eligible to rebook up until the day before embarkation (unless that sailing ends up being cancelled instead). I am faced with the same decision (to lose 10% deposit now or gamble for my June sailing to end up cancelling) towards the end of the month. I think unless there is still a government order in place by June, DCL will likely try to start back up even though it's probably still not a good idea to cruise by then.
Annoyingly, we discovered the hard way that even if you had a 10% deposit (eg due to placeholder or that temporary promotion they did), the “deposit” you lose for purposes of cancellation penalty is 20% of the cruise fare. Would have been nice if they had told me that before they cancelled but oh well.

Annoyingly, we discovered the hard way that even if you had a 10% deposit (eg due to placeholder or that temporary promotion they did), the “deposit” you lose for purposes of cancellation penalty is 20% of the cruise fare. Would have been nice if they had told me that before they cancelled but oh well.
I was wondering about that, because we also booked with a placeholder. We have some time left before PIF, but too bad you had to learn the hard way

Same here. Once you take the 100% rebooking deal, there is no ability to cancel and get any portion refunded.

Really? From what I understand, the deposit that I paid on my cruise was 10% (yes, it was with a placeholder), so I can't see how they can ding me for 20%. I guess I need to start emailing them to confirm before it gets too close to the deadline.

LAX

I have called twice to ask about this and got the same answer both times. I was told that if I cancel after PIF, but more than 56 days out, that only the deposit would be lost and that it would be the 10% I paid when I booked using a placeholder. Each time I asked for the exact dollar amount I would lose and both times the CM quoted the 10% deposit amount that would be forfeited. It was very clear. I would only be losing the amount I paid as an initial deposit, which was only 10%. I hope this hasn't changed.

I have called twice to ask about this and got the same answer both times. I was told that if I cancel after PIF, but more than 56 days out, that only the deposit would be lost and that it would be the 10% I paid when I booked using a placeholder. Each time I asked for the exact dollar amount I would lose and both times the CM quoted the 10% deposit amount that would be forfeited. It was very clear. I would only be losing the amount I paid as an initial deposit, which was only 10%. I hope this hasn't changed.

I certainly hope so, too. I am in the same position as you are. Either DCL offer penalty-free rebook or I take a 10% penalty. Thanks for the info.

LAX

I certainly hope so, too. I am in the same position as you are. Either DCL offer penalty-free rebook or I take a 10% penalty. Thanks for the info.
I guess I made the mistake of not confirming it with them before cancelling then, but when I got the email breaking down the refund and the non-refundable portion, it was definitely 80-20 and not 90-10. The credit hasn't posted to my account yet, but I'm assuming the email is accurate.

LAX
The penalty is 10% on a placeholder. I’m note sure about 50% off deposit promotion they were running. It’s sounds like it’s 20%.

We're booked on the May 8 10-night cruise on the Wonder from Honolulu to Vancouver. We received our luggage tags a day or two ago (today is April 4, 2020). However, the Port of Vancouver is closed to cruise ships until July 1. On top of that, Hawaii requires all persons arriving from the mainland to self-quarantine for 14 days, and just a couple of days ago they imposed a new requirement that all inter-island travelers must self-quarantine for 14 days. Even if the Port of Vancouver reopens in time for the Wonder to get to Honolulu by May 8, Hawaii's self-quarantine rules means we'd have to arrive in Honolulu on April 23 to self-quarantine for 14 full days (assuming we can find a flight), and then we would have to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Hilo, then 14 days upon arrival on Kauai, then 14 days upon arrival on Maui, which would turn the 10-night cruise into a 52-night cruise. And that's ignoring the fact the April 29 9-night cruise from Vancouver to Honolulu would face the same self-quarantines, turning it into a 51-night cruise, arriving on June 19. The self-quarantines in Hawaii are currently in effect until April 30, but will almost certainly be extended. So I can't see any way that the Hawaii cruises can possibly happen. Am I missing something here?

I guess I made the mistake of not confirming it with them before cancelling then, but when I got the email breaking down the refund and the non-refundable portion, it was definitely 80-20 and not 90-10. The credit hasn't posted to my account yet, but I'm assuming the email is accurate.

Did you book yours with a placeholder? I would argue for the 10% deposit because that was the terms of booking a placeholder if I am not mistaken.

LAX

What has annoyed me over the last few days is the fact that DCL and WDW closing timeframes do not line up. WDW is closed until further notice and not taking reservations until after June 1st. DCL is only cancelled until April 28th. I currently have a May 23rd cruise booked and have hotel stays at WDW before and after the cruise. My cruise isn’t cancelled, but as of right now I have nowhere to stay before or after the cruise and I purchased round trip cruise transfers, so no transportation to or from the cruise either. I just wish DCL would follow suit and cancel until June 1st. I plan on moving my cruise, but would like to get the 125% if possible since the new cruise is more expensive.

We're booked on the May 8 10-night cruise on the Wonder from Honolulu to Vancouver. We received our luggage tags a day or two ago (today is April 4, 2020). However, the Port of Vancouver is closed to cruise ships until July 1. On top of that, Hawaii requires all persons arriving from the mainland to self-quarantine for 14 days, and just a couple of days ago they imposed a new requirement that all inter-island travelers must self-quarantine for 14 days. Even if the Port of Vancouver reopens in time for the Wonder to get to Honolulu by May 8, Hawaii's self-quarantine rules means we'd have to arrive in Honolulu on April 23 to self-quarantine for 14 full days (assuming we can find a flight), and then we would have to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Hilo, then 14 days upon arrival on Kauai, then 14 days upon arrival on Maui, which would turn the 10-night cruise into a 52-night cruise. And that's ignoring the fact the April 29 9-night cruise from Vancouver to Honolulu would face the same self-quarantines, turning it into a 51-night cruise, arriving on June 19. The self-quarantines in Hawaii are currently in effect until April 30, but will almost certainly be extended. So I can't see any way that the Hawaii cruises can possibly happen. Am I missing something here?
no you are not. You basically summarizeD it all in a good nutshell. We are on the first leg of that itinerary and just mind-boggling how we really have no new news besides the “we are working on things“. My only hope is that there will be some major shifting and changes overall on their itineraries fleet schedule. I think a lot of this has to also do if the magic is even going over to Europe this year. My only hope is that through this reshuffling they find a ship to maybe reschedule this late this year or 2021. I would keep my booking and shift within that time frame.

I think they know it’s not going to be sailing. They only haven’t cancelled it yet to give the call centers time to process the other cancellations and will do another wave of cancellations later. They might be hoping that the world fixes itself and they won’t have to cancel anymore. With the current restrictions there’s no way they can sail

They released most of the Magic entertainers rehearsing for summer, and they're now sending crew members home. Once crew goes home they won't be back within 60 days or more, particularly given the status of viral spread in places like India.

Most of the ships won't be going anywhere.

We are set to cruise early July. Our PIF was before this was realized to be as serious here in the US. One week later and I would have without hesitation moved or canceled. At this point I’m frustrated. I personally don’t feel cruising in July is responsible (choice for my family, ymmv). I’m not asking for a refund. I’d just like the ability to move this to next year without losing money. I did a little research this morning and just about every cruise line is allowing you to move cruises if you are scheduled before September. Why can’t DCL allow June and July cruisers the same option?
My brother and I planned this cruise together for our families when our mom was dying last year. We need this time. But we will not be able to enjoy ourselves.

Come on Disney!

They released most of the Magic entertainers rehearsing for summer, and they're now sending crew members home. Once crew goes home they won't be back within 60 days or more, particularly given the status of viral spread in places like India.

Have you heard similar developments regarding the Fantasy? I have to take a 10% penalty hit soon on a June sailing if DCL doesn't extend the flexible rebooking to those sailings. Thanks.

LAX

Where is the best place to learn info like this? Curious where you're reading this so I can stay abreast of the most recent news too.

Have you heard similar developments regarding the Fantasy? I have to take a 10% penalty hit soon on a June sailing if DCL doesn't extend the flexible rebooking to those sailings. Thanks.

LAX
Same! I'm on a beginning of June Fantasy cruise and am trying to decide what to do.

Have you heard similar developments regarding the Fantasy? I have to take a 10% penalty hit soon on a June sailing if DCL doesn't extend the flexible rebooking to those sailings.
Same! I'm on a beginning of June Fantasy cruise and am trying to decide what to do.
Another June Fantasy cruise here. I’m also trying to decide what to do...I’m hopeful rebooking will be an option.

LAX

DCL is releasing crew across the entire line, not just the Magic. So it may be that they're hanging onto enough crew to maybe have 1-2 ships going, but I don't know. The CMs posting the contract term letters don't know how much of the total crew is being let go, and because the ships are flagged Bahamas and thus not subject to US reporting rules for mass firings, it's anyone's guess right now.

There are a number of groups on Facebook, including a couple of public groups of alumni CMs who don't feel themselves held by gag order who are friends with people still on the ships who have been told not to talk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter