Covid Creativity

My daughter purchased enough fabrics to keep her busy creating 4 different quilts. Hopefully this will keep her well occupied over the winter! Her first one is on the small side. Another Disney pixel pattern. She needs to put a border around it but will do that next week. This week she has a Christmas order for two glow-in-the-dark Tinkerbell pillow cases.

Here's all the fabric (not including the border) she used on this quilt.
20200830_111200.jpg

All cut into individual strips
strips.jpg

All the strips are now cut into 2,250 individual 1.5" squares and ready to sew together
20201005_132721.jpg

Finished quilt top! (Still needs to add the border) Does anyone recognize the Disney character?
4 - finished but needs border.jpg

Here's a photo with the light streaming in behind the quilt. You can see the size of the finished 1" squares. Isn't that cool?
5 - see the squares.jpg

Next time she will take photos about every 6 strips so people can try to guess what the pixel picture quilt will be.

Now she needs to choose the fabric for the back of the quilt. I imagine the border will be black. I don't know if she will choose black as the backside of the quilt or maybe some funky shade of green or another color. What do you think would go well with this?

I can see the arms and the large cloak but I'm not up to date on all the Disney characters so I don't know who it is. That and I could be way off. Fabulous job organizing and stitching all that together. I've been wanting to try a pixel quilt for a while. Maybe 2021 will be my year.

I like using a lighter colour on the back that way when you're lying under it and you lift it up to the light you can see all the seam allowances and remember all the work that went into it. With a black background that may not be possible. Also I have trouble keeping black fabric really black over time. They always seem to fade with washes.

I can see the arms and the large cloak but I'm not up to date on all the Disney characters so I don't know who it is. That and I could be way off. Fabulous job organizing and stitching all that together. I've been wanting to try a pixel quilt for a while. Maybe 2021 will be my year.

I like using a lighter colour on the back that way when you're lying under it and you lift it up to the light you can see all the seam allowances and remember all the work that went into it. With a black background that may not be possible. Also I have trouble keeping black fabric really black over time. They always seem to fade with washes.

I didn't recognize it either when she first showed me the pattern. Think of "The Nightmare before Christmas".

I like the idea of a lighter color on the back as well. Too much black is ehh... plus it shows hair too much if you have pets.

She did a fabulous job!! I definitely recognized it as a Nightmare Before Christmas character! (I just don’t know most of those characters’ names.)

I think I would pick up the purple (4th strip from the right) on the back (or stick with the green if the recipient wasn’t a fan of purple.)

I have a Halloween OBSESSED friend so I’m working on a GIANT (like about 8’ long) Halloween Fair isle scarf for her... but I didn’t want to knit a hollow tube for a scarf as I thought it wouldn’t lay nicely so now I’m double knitting it instead. My first time ever double knitting anything and adapting charts but so far it’s going well. This is less than 1/4 of the scarf. It’s two long panels that will each be repeated in 4 colors. 5976A525-51A1-4888-A230-6B67058E7618.jpegCA210609-564F-466B-8AAC-20B7D0D36BCB.jpeg

I have a Halloween OBSESSED friend so I’m working on a GIANT (like about 8’ long) Halloween Fair isle scarf for her... but I didn’t want to knit a hollow tube for a scarf as I thought it wouldn’t lay nicely so now I’m double knitting it instead. My first time ever double knitting anything and adapting charts but so far it’s going well. This is less than 1/4 of the scarf. It’s two long panels that will each be repeated in 4 colors. View attachment 538630View attachment 538631

Lovely Disney Ali.
Hugs
Mel

I have to say that you all make me feel so much better after once again being informed that basically no one in my husband's extended family will like my handknits and to once again buy a completely impersonal GC for the family gift exchange instead of putting thought and effort into a gift.

I have to say that you all make me feel so much better after once again being informed that basically no one in my husband's extended family will like my handknits and to once again buy a completely impersonal GC for the family gift exchange instead of putting thought and effort into a gift.

Ha!!! Well Bah Humbug to them!
I would be making a secret santa deal with you with the hope of getting a beautiful homemade gift.
You keep on being the special authentic you!
Hugs
Mel

People who can't appreciate a homemade something don't deserve even a gift card. Homemade gifts are a huge step above something purchased in a store or a GC. Last year I was quilting table centers for my siblings. I stopped after I made the tops before I quilted them because I realized they wouldn't appreciate the time and effort. I still have the tops upstairs waiting for their lucky recipients.

We decided to stop exchanging gifts when we got to the GC stage. At that point it just becomes and money exchange. You give me money or a GC for a store I don't shop at and I give you money or a GC for a store you gave me last year... I would much rather have a sampling of Xmas baking or homemade jam.

Give your homemade treasures to those who will appreciate them.

Ha!!! Well Bah Humbug to them!
I would be making a secret santa deal with you with the hope of getting a beautiful homemade gift.
You keep on being the special authentic you!
Hugs
Mel
People who can't appreciate a homemade something don't deserve even a gift card. Homemade gifts are a huge step above something purchased in a store or a GC. Last year I was quilting table centers for my siblings. I stopped after I made the tops before I quilted them because I realized they wouldn't appreciate the time and effort. I still have the tops upstairs waiting for their lucky recipients.

We decided to stop exchanging gifts when we got to the GC stage. At that point it just becomes and money exchange. You give me money or a GC for a store I don't shop at and I give you money or a GC for a store you gave me last year... I would much rather have a sampling of Xmas baking or homemade jam.

Give your homemade treasures to those who will appreciate them.

Thanks - they're moving to make it "voluntary" to participate in the exchange and I think this is my last year. Plus this part of the family always expects that it must be a $50 GC when it's supposed to be a gift UP TO $50. Oh well I bought this one and once it shows up I'm done shopping for the year, just need to finish my handmade items like the memorial/memory bears I'm working on for my husband and his brothers and parents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter