Crock Pot Cooking

dopeymomof4

Earning My Ears
Hi! I'm new at posting to this board, I've read for awhile, but never posted. My family and I have will be tent camping at WDW FW for the 2nd time this summer. Our kids range from 6-14 yrs, so they are really into the camping aspect of it all. I have a question for all the tent campers out there, have any of you taken a crock pot on a camping trip? If so, how did you keep it contained from little animals and such? We want to take one this summer, but didn't want to leave it in the tent. Any suggestion? :confused:

I don't have a tent, but we have a popup. And I crockpot cook ALL THE TIME while we camp. I have a table that I set up outside under my awning and I put the crockpot on that. I have NEVER, EVER had a problem with critters. (plus the darn thing is too hot...lol). I love pulling up to our camper and then walking up and smelling whatever I'm cooking! YUM!

Go for it....you won't have any problems

Years ago while camping at Fort Wilderness, we had racoons get into our cooler and eat the eggs as well as other foods. BUT we have never had that problem since. If packaged food is left outside, the birds and squirrels get into it, but, I think your covered crock pot would be safe.
Have fun, you must be getting there just as we are leaving. We will be there from May 31 until June 8.

Hey Dopeymomof4!!
We are leaving for FW next Saturday and I never thought of the crockpot idea! Would you share what has been successful to cook in the crockpot while camping? Boy that would save me time!!
Thanks in advance!
rboyzmom:Pinkbounc

Here are a couple of my all time favorites. I have posted these on other boards and they were a huge success:

CREAM CHEESE CHICKEN

1 pkg. Good Season Italian Dressing Mix
3-4 chicken breast, raw, cubed
1 stick butter
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
¾ c. cream cheese
Combine dressing, chicken and butter in crockpot. Cook for 4 hours on high, 6 hours on low. Take chicken out and add remaining ingredients, mixing well. Return chicken to crockpot and cook on high for ½ hour. Serve over noodles or mashed potatoes.

Round Steak and Gravy

2 lbs. round steak, cut into pieces (however big you want)
1 can cream of mushroom gravy soup
1 pack. Dry Lipton Onioin Soup mix
1/4 c. water

Spray crockpot with Pam. Add meat. In separate bowl, combine soup undelited, onion soup mix and water. Pour over top of meat. COok on High for 4-5 hours or low of 6-8 hours. Serve over mash potatoes or noodles or rice.

Thanks Sharon! I'm so sorry. I got you confused with Dopoeymomof4. I will definately use these! We leave for FW in 6 days!!!:Pinkbounc

No problem at all! :)

I love to cook in the crockpot when we camp! :) YOu have a nice hot meal, and you don't really have to do any cooking. Put it on in the morning, go out and have fun for the day and when you come back and your tired (the last thing you want to do is cook), it's all ready for you! :)

Sltrawick (or anyone else who may know),

These crock pot ideas look yummy! Do you know where I could find more crock pot ideas? In my years of camping I have only used the crock pot once, and that was for sloppy joes! I really need to start using it more (can't beat the convenience!). Any suggestions on where I can find more great recipes would be helpful. Thanks! :)

I have a wonderful cookbook that I got from Sam's called: Fix It and Forget it cookbook. It has just about every crockpot recipe that you can think of. I highly, highly recommend it.

I haven't camped at Ft. Wilderness in 7 years! I can't believe I never thought to bring the crockpot! Well, it's on the list of things to bring now...Thanks for the tip!!

Oh yea, when you camp.......crockpot cooking is the only way! We never leave home without the crockpot! :)

Thanks Sltrawick!! We tried the Cream Cheese Chicken last week and it was out of this world!! I'm certainly going to take those ingredients for that to make at Fort Wilderness!!
My picky twin DD's loved it!!

Yummmy!!

Thanks again!!

We have a family favorite that I made up one day using basic ingredients that I had at home. Everybody loved it.

One or two boxes of potato mix (like scalloped or au gratin)
a nice piece of ham cut into cubes

Pour all ingredients as called for in the potatoes into the pot, mix well. Add the ham stir and go!

Very fast, cheap, and ohhhh so good!

WOW - i just love that justcrockpotrecipies.com web site!!!!!

I just printed a slew of them i want to try out on the fam before i deem them as "camping keepers".

thanks Sunny37!

-lori

I found that cream cheese chicken recipe awhile back on another camping board and the first time I tried it I could smell it from outside my house. It is the absolute best thing I have ever tasted in a one pot meal. It has become a regular staple in our house. I've added mushrooms, carrots and/or broccoli to it at various times and if possible it was even better. It never seems to matter how many times I double the recipe there is never any leftovers of this dish!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter