Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as people realize the ramifications of making decisions like this. Thats why its taking so long. Because they are trying to find the right solution, not just a solution. The travel industry is already in the toilet, keep in mind what is going to happen in Florida if and when they make a decision to close. Lots of jobs will be lost and the economy will suffer. That in turn will have a ripple effect on other parts of the country. This isnt a simple solution to find.
In addition, all of these students that have to get home in a very short time - daunting task!

We’re in bad shape here too, hoping those affected by unemployment come out the other side of this mess stronger than ever. Stay safe neighbor!
Thank you. I am sorry if I come across harsh. I work for a large grocery store and it's been very hard to be out in public every day. I am scared to death to catch this and bring it home to my wife and 6 month old.

In thinking of strategies to potentially mitigate the risk of the virus spreading at WDW, there are several options that came to mind:
  • Hand sanitizers at each entrance AND exit for each attraction/theater/eatery (with CM enforcement at the entrances)
  • Mickey stickers taped/adhered to the ground, spaced appropriately, at attraction/eatery queues
  • Mickey stickers taped/adhered to the ground, spaced appropriately, on the MK ferry boats
  • Taped off every other seat (or proper interval) at theater attractions
  • Taped off, or Mickey stickers, spaced appropriately on the monorail
I am ignoring costs.
I like those except the various sized and ages of families will make some of those complicated. My 5 year old will not sit several seats away from me and my lap will be full with my 3 year old and 18 month old for example. I could see how Disney could brainstorm solutions like that taking those things into account during this time.

I know it's dumb, but I would love to just go to the mall to walk around ):

Not dumb at all.. I would love to go see a movie with my husband & eat some high calorie buttered popcorn. I saw a saying once that has always stuck with me:

Appreciate the little things in life, because one day you will look back & realize they were the big things.

:flower3:

Like others say Springs open first because it will have to open once non essentails businesses open, restaurants and small stores. The stores and restaurants will demand it if they didn't. Then open the resorts because the are the easiest to open, plus a big money maker. They will not open the park before the resorts, and they won't open the parks and the resorts at the same time, no reason to stress the system that much.

The parks will be last b/c of the exposure risks, the queues and rides be the most risky. I am now thinking if they do require masks it will be just for the queues and perhaps the buses, monorail only. (not trying to open a mask debate, everyone has their own opinion if they work or not ;) )
Irrelevant to whether masks work or not, how many people - not just adults but teens, preteens and littlies - will want/be willing to wear a mask in Florida’s heat and humidity? Especially if a high summer opening is correct!

Not dumb at all.. I would love to go see a movie with my husband & eat some high calorie buttered popcorn. I saw a saying once that has always stuck with me:

Appreciate the little things in life, because one day you will look back & realize they were the big things.

:flower3:

Now ain't that the truth. I am sitting here praying hard my daughter gets to go back to dance and have her recital in June while we lost a disney trip in april and probably june, I'll take our day to day activities back in a second even if it means no disney for a long time,

We do want to go back to normal. It seems more Americans are worried about the economy then Canadians are.

Really hate this generalization. You can worry about the economy while understanding needing to take safety precautions. I think most understand we can't just open everything and go about how we did 3 months ago. But at some point you HAVE to slowly open some things up, or the fallout will be worse than the virus.

Bottom line....we need more testing. The fact that we STILL don’t have enough testing in this country is absurd. No one can know real numbers without prolific testing. There are places still rationing testing due to lack of tests. Hopefully, with the rapid test just being improved that will help and we can get a more accurate picture. I cannot see things returning to any sort of normal until we have more ability to test. That allows us to see where there is starting to be more cases. Then you can just lock down individual areas until cases drop again, release areas that have no cases, etc. I see this as being the only way until we get a vaccine.

Really hate this generalization. You can worry about the economy while understanding needing to take safety precautions. I think most understand we can't just open everything and go about how we did 3 months ago. But at some point you HAVE to slowly open some things up, or the fallout will be worse than the virus.
I agree you have to slowly open things up. From what I have heard here in Canada that is the plan. Once the first wave is over by summer some things will open up. Parks and other places that involve large gatherings will be the last to open. I realize a lot of people want to be hopeful. For me it's easier to take for them to be honest and the expect Disney and Cedar Point and others not to open any time soon. I had plans to go to multiple parks this summer. I am really bummed about what's going on. I'm expecting none of the parks to open til fall at the earliest. I am basing all this on what Knotts has done in adding in next season to this season's pass.

Even with their differences for the most part premiers have come together and have generally supported the prime minister. They are all taking the advice of our health professionals. I'm actually really impressed with some premiers I didn't agree with previously and how they have stepped up and offered support on this.

WHO called this early January, along with other health professionals and this could have been avoided/stopped many times by many countries but there were many attempts to undermine them. All epidemiologists/health care professionals are in agreement on key factors of this. This thing is not the flu - it seems 50% of people get pneumonia which can cause lung damage in addition to the higher death rate.

The biggest threat of this isn't the pandemic (that can be managed), or even the economy, it is the same threat we all deal with every day. The ego of those who think they are smarter than everyone else, don't care about anyone but themselves, and disregard sensible advice to make their own self-serving unintelligent decisions.

So do you think that Canadians will not visit WDW if they’re open, but Canadian parks are still closed? I’m just curious.

I agree you have to slowly open things up. From what I have heard here in Canada that is the plan. Once the first wave is over by summer some things will open up. Parks and other places that involve large gatherings will be the last to open. I realize a lot of people want to be hopeful. For me it's easier to take for them to be honest and the expect Disney and Cedar Point and others not to open any time soon. I had plans to go to multiple parks this summer. I am really bummed about what's going on. I'm expecting none of the parks to open til fall at the earliest. I am basing all this on what Knotts has done in adding in next season to this season's pass.

Parks which are local-ish to me (there are quite a few! Hershey Park, Dorney Park, Sesame Place, Dutch Wonderland, Morey’s Piers, Knoebels) are still in a holding pattern & aren’t able to give an opening date yet. We’re going to have some totally bummed out kiddos if they remain closed this year, but we’re hopeful things will improve & parks will be open this summer! :)

Its crazy how quick the U.S. wants to go back to normal. Here in Canada they are expecting this to last til summer and after that some sort of social distancing in place til there is a vaccine

Another Canadian. Yup. I'm shocked (and not in a way) at the attitude difference. Not just in citizens but in officials. They have been very clear that we'll be stuck at home into summer and that yes, various measures will be in place until a vaccine is available. And, for the most part, citizens are far more accepting of it. There isn't the level of shock or outrage that you see here at these ideas.

So do you think that Canadians will not visit WDW if they’re open, but Canadian parks are still closed? I’m just curious.
Its not they don't want to, a lot of Canadians won't be able to afford any vacation let alone a Disney one. Over 1 million Canadians are out of work right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter