Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not say closings were an overreaction. I said I believe that them closing was due to pressure. It will calm people down and say "see Disney is doing something too". There was so much talk, even on these boards about them not doing anything that there was no way they could save face.

They are closig them because that is reccomenddaation of the WHO and CDC for no large scale gatherings which s what these plalces are by definition.

Could end up getting there, but I'm willing to bet they'll add 2 weeks at a time

What is the endgame? What's the number of cases everyone is looking for to reopen businesses I wonder, when we start to downtrend? What magic bullet makes everyone comfortable? Can't be zero because it will never be zero.

Nothing would surprise me at this point.
If that becomes reality (which after yesterday, nothing would really shock me), I envision hotels shut down and maybe one or two parks. This is a MASSIVE financial hit on Disney, however long it goes on...possibly into the trillions of dollars.

What is the endgame? What's the number of cases everyone is looking for to reopen businesses I wonder, when we start to downtrend? What magic bullet makes everyone comfortable? Can't be zero because it will never be zero.

They may open earlier but the point people are looking for is what is called the "inflection point" on the graph and it looks like china and SK may be there.

If that becomes reality (which after yesterday, nothing would really shock me), I envision hotels shut down and maybe one or two parks. This is a MASSIVE financial hit on Disney, however long it goes on...possibly into the trillions of dollars.

Oh for sure. Even Disney isn't too big to fail.

If the closings go on for months, is there a possibility that Disney may not recover financially ? Could certain parks close indefinitely? Could some resorts shut down completely? Or all ??

They may open earlier but the point people are looking for is what is called the "inflection point" on the graph and it looks like china and SK may be there.

I hope that you are right. But my fear is that people will still hear "one new case of virus reported 17 counties away, on another planet" and want everything to stay closed. (yes, I'm using hyperbole ;) )

Most likely when we're past the peak. When we start having more recoveries than new cases like SK just announced they have

I'm thinking one reason for doing this 2 weeks at a time is just to attempt to limit the number of calls they are dealing with at any one time. If they were to announce a 4-week closure at the outset, that's at least double the number of people who would be calling to make arrangements for their vacations. I'm sure more than just those who are immediately affected are calling, but for example, we're just waiting at this point since our trip isn't until April 25. Nothing to do until they officially close for that week.

I hope that you are right. But my fear is that people will still hear "one new case of virus reported 17 counties away, on another planet" and want everything to stay closed. (yes, I'm using hyperbole ;) )

And if that happens that is when I think you'll see things like CDC speaking out saying they approve of things starting back up, etc. Right now the experts seem to agree with the measures and if it gets to the point where they don't then I do think they'll speak up, issue new guidelines, etc.

Disney, et al are not making these decsions without talking to places ilke the CDC.

If the closings go on for months, is there a possibility that Disney may not recover financially ? Could certain parks close indefinitely? Could some resorts shut down completely? Or all ??

I'd imagine Disney would try selling off some of their subsidiaries before shuttering parks or hotels. They own SO many things we don't even talk about, I'm sure there's plenty of fat they could cut. Even if they have to sell off some of the studios like Blue Sky Animation, Searchlight Pictures, or even bigger ones like Pixar or Marvel, I have to think closing Parks or Hotels would be a last resort for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter