Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive my ignorance on this one, but would that include the Cultural Rep program in EPCOT, DCL staffing (though not seasonal), or something else?

-you just answered my question

To the Haitian specifically, I've never noticed so many CM from that country until I started reading name tags at the drink stations Thanksgiving week. They were the overwhelming majority of that staff, at least at AoA.

Forgive my ignorance on this one, but would that include the Cultural Rep program in EPCOT, DCL staffing (though not seasonal), or something else?

To the Haitian specifically, I've never noticed so many CM from that country until I started reading name tags at the drink stations Thanksgiving week. They were the overwhelming majority of that staff, at least at AoA.
I'm not sure, I don't think CP is hired this way, I think it's all done through their dedicated site (maybe anyone who has done the CP can chime in)
The 4 posting positions are seasonal, the people they will hire I'm not sure if they will be seasonal, which is what made me curious. They are hiring these HR people seasonally for a global hiring position to verify employment authorization

Haitians seem to be hired for custodial and housekeeping, most likely for their struggle with English, they learn the basics on how to answer basic questions of guests but pretty much they are not as approached as other positions

I remembered something from our trip that I wanted to comment on because it was brought up here before - for the first time in a while I saw a CM in the park as guest facing (she was directing traffic in between the snaked lines in Pandora) wearing Hijab. Maybe this is a step toward inclusion key? Or maybe I'm ignorant and didn't pay attention before that comment was made here?

Can't post directly and I'm sure a DPB story will pop up soon but they are hyping up the Investors day conference where they would reveal more info on Star streaming service the conference is expected to last 4 hours and also a new story about extending the theme park experience to the resorts with the use of technology

Can't post directly and I'm sure a DPB story will pop up soon but they are hyping up the Investors day conference where they would reveal more info on Star streaming service the conference is expected to last 4 hours and also a new story about extending the theme park experience to the resorts with the use of technology
Isn’t Star just a combo of Hulu and Disney+ for international audiences? I remember being a bit confused about it on the 3rd quarter earnings call when Chapek was talking about it so much.

I remembered something from our trip that I wanted to comment on because it was brought up here before - for the first time in a while I saw a CM in the park as guest facing (she was directing traffic in between the snaked lines in Pandora) wearing Hijab. Maybe this is a step toward inclusion key? Or maybe I'm ignorant and didn't pay attention before that comment was made here?

I know I had mentioned this before as if the new Key could lead to more of this being accepted as part of the "Disney Look" - it was pointed out to me that religeous head covereings were already allowed but I suspect just things like this being viewed as more acceptable and "core" to the philisophy that it will attract more people that might previously of been concerned that they would not be allowed and thus we would see more

You can tell I check the Disney casting site every day :D
Today 4 positions are posted for GHRO (seasonal) main responsibility is to verify employment authorization. Preferred qualification is proficiency in a second language.
Are they getting ready to hire again? and if so why not rehire those that have been laid off where their documents have already been verified?
maybe I'm thinking too much into it, the other thing is that it's a seasonal thing.
Anyways maybe something to discuss and stray away a bit from the vaccine talk :D
Some of the positions laid off do have first rights when Disney does rehire. My guess is if these are seasonal they don’t have to do that.

I'm not sure, I don't think CP is hired this way, I think it's all done through their dedicated site (maybe anyone who has done the CP can chime in)
The 4 posting positions are seasonal, the people they will hire I'm not sure if they will be seasonal, which is what made me curious. They are hiring these HR people seasonally for a global hiring position to verify employment authorization

Is it weird they would be hiring for just "seasonal" positions now? I mean by the time interviews, background checks, etc. are done, the season is over! :D

looks like they are expanding the "shop in store" ability pretty quickly - already available at Everything POP now

I’m all for saving time and convenience, so long as this doesn’t turn WDW into a do it yourself experience. I still want CM on the floor, helping guests with selections and checking back rooms for stock, etc.

Is it weird they would be hiring for just "seasonal" positions now? I mean by the time interviews, background checks, etc. are done, the season is over! :D

could seasonal just mean "short term"? If it is for housekeeping they might need more staff for when they reopen one of the All Stars in early February - but perhaps they don't want to commit to full hires just yet

I’m all for saving time and convenience, so long as this doesn’t turn WDW into a do it yourself experience. I still want CM on the floor, helping guests with selections and checking back rooms for stock, etc.

agreed - I am sure that the end goal woudl be for Disney to save $ by having less CMs employhed in total ... but hopefully they continue to have plenty that are still providing guest services to help their experience and doing things they can't do on their own, etc. So more just shifting some rolls than terminating all of them

CPs and IPs also pass through Global HR for verification of work authorization. That said, given that the staff for those programs has been decimated at this point, I’d think we’d need to see postings for program coordinators, service center staff, etc before they restart those (and given the difficulty many colleges and universities are having, I don’t see them jumping back into those programs immediately).

I’m not super familiar with the structure of Disney HR but my understanding is that there are more seasonal positions there than in most other lines of business at WDW. In recent years, it’s become something of a rarity to see a seasonal CM (though they still existed, prior to the pandemic) outside of Entertainment or HR.

could seasonal just mean "short term"? If it is for housekeeping they might need more staff for when they reopen one of the All Stars in early February - but perhaps they don't want to commit to full hires just yet
Seasonal positions are recurring. It would be a project hire for that circumstance. If anyone happens to be perusing Disney Careers, here are the terms you’ll see. As with most things Disney, words don’t always mean what they mean elsewhere.

Project Hire - fixed start date and end date to hire (only enjoys benefits for that period of time)
Seasonal (sometimes referred to as Casual Temporary) - Recurring employment for specified periods when demand warrants it for the role, doesn’t necessarily have to be the same periods each year (enjoys limited benefits all year)
Casual Regular - basically part-time employee
Freelance/Contractor - No benefits but works on a “project” for unspecified period of time
Operating Participant - Third-party employee, generally not hired through Disney Careers

The position hiring seasonal is global hr, not whatever this seasonal position is hiring

No one is fooling anyone here. The goal is to minimize costs- in other words hire fewer CMs. Consumers are putting up with DIY so now is the time to see how far Disney can go. The more guests DIY, the less CMs Disney has to pay. And honestly, I wish this had been an option when I was there last month. The checkout line at Emporium was like half an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter