Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anything will happen before the next scheduled meeting, but the task force could always hold an emergency session between scheduled meetings if one of the park operators wanted to present their plans before that date.

Universal seems to be outshining Disney a bit. Not because they are opening first, but it just seems they've taken the leading role here. They are the most vocal in these task force meetings. And they just seem to be more motivated to work all this out. They are the trendsetters right now. Usually its the other way around.

Disney just seems to be a bit indecisive and hesitating to do anything. Perhaps this is because of the musical chairs with the executives lately. Certainly a bad time for all that.
In a month or so no one will even care about any of that, even right now it is just a small subset of Disney fanatics that even have an issue with it. The fanatics will be back to complaining about crowds etc. pretty soon after they are open.

I totally agree. Bringing in the NBA and opening the parks are not mutually exclusive. I'm speculating the NBA will take over the entirety of CSR and, obviously, WWOS. Have dedicated transportation back and forth to only those locations and the NBA will be completely sealed off from the rest of WDW. It would be a major win for CSR, WWOS, NBA, Disney, ESPN/ABC and wouldn't affect park operations, DS, water parks or the rest of the resorts in any way.

Exactly. There’s no reason to believe those leagues being on property would impede on their ability to open the parks. If they were keeping the parks closed for them, then they’d close off the entire property. It’s not difficult for the players to go to WWoS from CSR without coming in contact with people going to the parks

Exactly. There’s no reason to believe those leagues being on property would impede on their ability to open the parks. If they were keeping the parks closed for them, then they’d close off the entire property. It’s not difficult for the players to go to WWoS from CSR without coming in contact with people going to the parks

First, I already explained my thoughts on why they might keep it closed and it had nothing to do with coming in contact with anybody.

Second, I really hope all of this conjecture on why it won't happen isn't based on my post alone because I have no actual ideas based on anything, it's just a thought not a prediction. I have no information.

I mean, I'm not Sven.

😐

Disney Springs opened about a week/two weeks after City Walk, not too far of a stretch to expect the same pattern with the parks.

CW opened on 5/14. DS opened on 5/20. It was a 6 day lag. Disney owned places are opening on 5/27 which is a 13 day lag.

I think it’s intentional. Universal has always taken a harder line when guests ask for accommodations. These changes will be so big for the public mindset, I think Disney is content to let Universal take the heat being the leader.

I don’t think they’re being indecisive. I think they’re being purposely cautious. Disney’s brand relies so much on family and nostalgic feeling, they have more to lose If they look greedy rather than concerned.

Eventually it's not about greed, but survival. They are hemorrhaging cash like mad. Shareholders aren't going to play the cautious game for very long. Eventually they will be asking, "Umm..Why is Universal open and not us?"

Let Universal do the hard work, and we’ll copy has been WDW approach since Universal got HP.
Not necessarily. Disney did try for Potter too btw but that’s another discussion. Disney is usually the first to announce closures or precautions when it comes to hurricanes. I believe Disney announced their COVID closure first as well.

I don't think anything will happen before the next scheduled meeting, but the task force could always hold an emergency session between scheduled meetings if one of the park operators wanted to present their plans before that date.

The smaller parks did not do a public presentation, I doubt Disney will either, they will give the tour to the task group. The task group will then vote, it is all a formality and it will be unanimous, betting that happens before the next meeting, but could be next meeting as that is when then rolling cancellations reset. Then again you have schedules coming out on Sunday/Monday..

Not necessarily. Disney did try for Potter too btw but that’s another discussion. Disney is usually the first to announce closures or precautions when it comes to hurricanes. I believe Disney announced their COVID closure first as well.
Didn't know that Disney tried to Potter. Not sure if it's good or bad that Universal got it--Universal did an outstanding job with Potter. I guess the best comparison is what Disney did with Star Wars, but haven't been there yet so can't opine.

Didn't know that Disney tried to Potter. Not sure if it's good or bad that Universal got it--Universal did an outstanding job with Potter. I guess the best comparison is what Disney did with Star Wars, but haven't been there yet so can't opine.

Nothing compares to Diagon Alley for me, but I am a huge Potterhead. I feel that Pandora is close and I haven’t even seen Avatar. It’s the immersion that gets me.

Disney apparently budged when JK Rawlings said she doesn’t want Mickey and his friends wearing a hogwarts robe walking around the land. I’m not sure if thats 100% true.

I think it’s far better suited in Universal tbh, so I’m glad Disney didn’t get HP

Nothing compares to Diagon Alley for me, but I am a huge Potterhead. I feel that Pandora is close and I haven’t even seen Avatar. It’s the immersion that gets me.

We like Universal, but admittedly haven't been since they built anything Harry Potter! (and I loooooove me some Harry Potter) Went to Disney 2011 and 2014 and we were going to add on a short visit to Universal after a cruise in 2015, but couldn't swing it. Planned to go during our 2017 trip, but that trip turned out to be a disaster and everything got screwed up.

Maybe we need to add a day or two during our 2021 trip...

Disney apparently budged when JK Rawlings said she doesn’t want Mickey and his friends wearing a hogwarts robe walking around the land. I’m not sure if thats 100% true.

I think it’s far better suited in Universal tbh, so I’m glad Disney didn’t get HP
Also they would not give her 100% creative control

We like Universal, but admittedly haven't been since they built anything Harry Potter! (and I loooooove me some Harry Potter) Went to Disney 2011 and 2014 and we were going to add on a short visit to Universal after a cruise in 2015, but couldn't swing it. Planned to go during our 2017 trip, but that trip turned out to be a disaster and everything got screwed up.

Maybe we need to add a day or two during our 2021 trip...

It’s so fun. Stay on property for Express Pass. So worth it.

Disney laid the foundation of lands when they built Disneyland. I love Hogwarts and Diagon alley, but let’s not act like Universal invented the wheel
but UOR building Hogsmead gave a kick in the butt to WDW, they had been sleeping on their laurels, no new projects, no inventiveness attraction wise, then they saw the success of Hogsmead and they decide to start building again, NFL and Pandora and TSL and ultimately SWGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter