• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been having a great Saturday watching videos!

I will tell you the number one thing I have learned from watching videos and being out in the heat here at home - the disposable medical masks are the way to go!

I had some blue, but ordered a box of pink ones for wearing at the zoo, botanical gardens, etc. here and in case we still need them next May at Disney! My fun patterned cotton masks and my pretty chiffon masks will be for cooler weather and indoors (work, restaurants, etc.).
:)
Yep! I was at Downtown Disney last Saturday and it was 95 in Anaheim. Wore a disposable mask and had no issues breathing whatsoever. My face didn't even get sweaty. Long periods of being outside, I would go for disposable masks for sure!

Disagree.

Even excluding other theme parks, people are being encouraged into other risky scenarios like being on a plane because disney is open. Disney shares some responsibility for that.
The person that is going to fly on a plane to Disney and look to be lax and break rules will in all likelihood be doing the same thing if they go to a beach or other theme park or whatever they chose to do for vacation. At least Disney is putting up way more safeguards than any of those other places.

It seems the way to do DHS right now is to get in the park before 10, try to get a BG, hit attractions until around noon, get lunch in the park, try to get a BG at 1, take a extended break from the pato, get back just before 4 to try to get BG and then take advantage of the much shorter wait times the last couple hours the park is open.

It's my understanding that once you have scanned into the park, you don't need to be in the park to check the battle groups at 1 and 4. But I wish I could get someone to confirm that.

This is such a false sense of security. Disney is doing what they can. Lots of measures, which are great. But you’re still touching shared surfaces before they can be cleaned, eating in restaurants without a mask on, using public restrooms, not to mention people sneaking them off on rides, and and and ...

Disney is doing what they can, but there is plenty of opportunity to pick it up on property if someone has it.
Well, I guess we’ll just have to disagree. Of course nothing is 100% perfect and safe. However, as someone who has not been at all locked down because of my work over the past 4 months, I have been out and about essentially every day since this all started. I can honestly say I am now dreading leaving Disney and returning to the “real world” where I know that everywhere I go, there are nowhere near the precautions as those being taken here.

We just got back from Epcot. It is the only park we are visiting as we are only in Orlando for the day on the way to another destination. We hadn't been planning on going to a park but decided to go before we cancel our APs. Epcot felt really sad and somber. I have nothing to compare it to but it was just really quiet and depressing. They need to increase the background music volume. We arrived right after a thunderstorm so it wasn't overly crowded and we didn't see any characters.

The rides were good and we felt that Disney did a good job with the social distancing. We did feel that at some parts around the World Showcase that the walkways got a little tight. If they even have 20% of the normal Food and Wine crowds it is going to be a major problem. We never felt uncomfortable but it wouldn't have taken many more people to push us over the edge. There were definitely areas where you couldn't keep 6' between groups. Soarin was a 15 minute wait (walk on) to give an idea of how crowded the park was. Mask compliance was basically 100% with the exception of some limited eating and drinking in the World Showcase. They don't have enough tables or "pull off" spots to eat or drink that are out of the way.

We ate at Via Napoli which is one of our favorites. The food was as good as always but even that was depressing. It felt like your favorite restaurant that you know is about to go out of business.

We had already decided to cancel our APs and everything today just confirmed that decision for us. There was no joy or happiness. We will be back when things can be more "normal".

We just got back from Epcot. It is the only park we are visiting as we are only in Orlando for the day on the way to another destination. We hadn't been planning on going to a park but decided to go before we cancel our APs. Epcot felt really sad and somber. I have nothing to compare it to but it was just really quiet and depressing. They need to increase the background music volume. We arrived right after a thunderstorm so it wasn't overly crowded and we didn't see any characters.

The rides were good and we felt that Disney did a good job with the social distancing. We did feel that at some parts around the World Showcase that the walkways got a little tight. If they even have 20% of the normal Food and Wine crowds it is going to be a major problem. We never felt uncomfortable but it wouldn't have taken many more people to push us over the edge. There were definitely areas where you couldn't keep 6' between groups. Soarin was a 15 minute wait (walk on) to give an idea of how crowded the park was. We ate at Via Napoli which is one of our favorites. The food was as good as always but even that was depressing. It felt like your favorite restaurant that you know is about to go out of business.

We had already decided to cancel our APs and everything today just confirmed that decision for us. There was no joy or happiness. We will be back when things can be more "normal".

Gosh, that sounds awful. :(

Thank you for sharing though! It helps me temper my expectations for next May.

Well, I guess we’ll just have to disagree. Of course nothing is 100% perfect and safe. However, as someone who has not been at all locked down because of my work over the past 4 months, I have been out and about essentially every day since this all started. I can honestly say I am now dreading leaving Disney and returning to the “real world” where I know that everywhere I go, there are nowhere near the precautions as those being taken here.
This is exactly how I felt when we left yesterday. I had gotten so used to everyone wearing masks and being respectful on property and when we got to the airport, it was back to every man for himself. I had to avoid one of the airport trams because there were people not wearing masks, and baggage claim at my local airport was downright anxiety inducing.

The rides were good and we felt that Disney did a good job with the social distancing. We did feel that at some parts around the World Showcase that the walkways got a little tight. If they even have 20% of the normal Food and Wine crowds it is going to be a major problem. We never felt uncomfortable but it wouldn't have taken many more people to push us over the edge. There were definitely areas where you couldn't keep 6' between groups. Soarin was a 15 minute wait (walk on) to give an idea of how crowded the park was. Mask compliance was basically 100% with the exception of some limited eating and drinking in the World Showcase. They don't have enough tables or "pull off" spots to eat or drink that are out of the way.

We ate at Via Napoli which is one of our favorites. The food was as good as always but even that was depressing. It felt like your favorite restaurant that you know is about to go out of business.

Yikes. That sounds so sad to me as Epcot is our fave park. Feel good about our decision to wait until things are more normal before going back.

I understand what you are saying. Yes, Disney is taking many more precautions than other places.

I was only referring to the original comment you made that said it would be very unlikely that someone would spread it at Disney. Sounded to me like a false sense of security. There is risk, which you have now acknowledged.

I appreciate the Epcot experiences; I think we're going to focus on MK and AK for now. HS scares me a bit with the crowds + lack of attractions for young children and Epcot seems sad (especially for the amt of walking and walls you gotta avoid!). AK doesn't have a whole lot ride-wise for small ones but we love the trails and animals.

Epcot is a favorite of ours, and one we would visit just to walk and not ride a thing, but it's way too hot to do that right now.

I've been having a great Saturday watching videos!

I will tell you the number one thing I have learned from watching videos and being out in the heat here at home - the disposable medical masks are the way to go!

I had some blue, but ordered a box of pink ones for wearing at the zoo, botanical gardens, etc. here and in case we still need them next May at Disney! My fun patterned cotton masks and my pretty chiffon masks will be for cooler weather and indoors (work, restaurants, etc.).
:)
I agree about the masks & I’m here in wdw wearing them.

Gimme a break! Give it a rest. They’re open. They’re doing a pretty good job. And ppl are responsible for their own risk-taking.

Some peoples minds are already made up. Things could be going absolutely perfectly at Disney, but if you dont want Disney open, you’re going to find any possible way to poke a hole in that

If in 2 weeks we hear there hasn’t been a single case traced to a WDW trip, it’ll be “Yeah, none that have been reported”.

Some people have legitimate valid concerns, then there are people that want chaos.

EPCOT sounds wonderful to me, based on everyone’s reports. I’m admittedly a bit of a nerd about the architecture and theming, so I’m excited that it sounds like I’ll get the chance get a closer look at some things without worrying that I’m getting in peoples’ way. I get what several people have said about the lack of CMs and/or entertainment, but a kind of low key walk around the WS during F&W sounds really wonderful to me right now. Besides, Les Halles is open, and croissants make everything better 🥐

Just back from Epcot. Quick report.
Arrived at toll at 10:10, they opened at 10:15 parked in first row and walked right into the park, the attractions were not open but people were free to start queueing (people did for SE)
I walked over to FEA and got there just as 11am struck. About a 10 min wait, got a boat to myself, walked to GFT, walk on, then walked around World showcase, caught the "sad" cavalcade of Goofy Pluto, Minnie and Mickey, the music is just blah, not upbeat like at MK, every pavilion has at least one store open except China which has none. You can go into the China movie building and sit down and relax with our mask on, the other relax zone is by Mission Space (old smoking section) and Akerush.
Mary Poppins was at the UK Gazebo drinking tea, super cute set up
Made it to World Showplace just in time as the storm hit. This was rather busy but not crowded. Plenty of table with chairs and high bar tables are distanced, along with the kiosk they had a pianist (seemed like the same guy fro GF) playing every 30 min, very relaxing and nice. Got all my favorites, Kiebalsa, spanakopita, fisherman pie, beer mule, charcuterie and cheese plate and frozen smores with vodka. The lines in here were a bit long but it's because they only had one register open per booth
walked on to Figment and Living with the Land, the Land pavilion was sooo empty. Then walked on to Spaceship Earth and finished at MouseGears.
The wall situation is cray you basically have to just circle all around, WS felt dead without the entertainment and many CP CM, they are operating that section with the bear minimum
Saw 0 photopass photographers
Came back home and booked a room at Pop for $89 to be able to go to DHS for SWGE anniversary 8/29, booked my park reservations without issues even though I have 3 reservations already booked with my ap, so they fixed that
Any questions lmk
Was the cafe in Norway open that sells School bread? I heard from some it is not open or that it is not selling the typical fare.
Was it hard to find a location to eat from the booths?

I dont know. Epcots future world has been a bit depressing for some years now - kind of like an abandoned 80's mall. :p We ride the rides and get out of there!

While I want international CMs to cone back, for us that's not going to be a big deal. Only in Japan and Italy did we spend time talking. Otherwise we eat, drink, browse and people watch all around World Showcase and hopefully that will still be the case next year.

What bothers me is what sounds like silence at Epcot! The person who posted music is too low (turn it up!) and missing the buzz of people talking...hopefully it cheers up soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter