DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I searched for a thread but only saw one regarding Disneyland.

I’ve seen mention of some changes in DAS process happening beginning May 20th. We go in June so shortly after the changes take place so I just want to be sure I understand them. Has anyone else read about this yet? Can we discuss?

For the first point below, does this mean there is paperwork I need to gather in advance or submit to someone?

• We are teaming with Inspire Health Alliance’s health professionals, to help our Cast Members, as needed, determine eligibility for appropriate accommodations and ensure that these accommodations are provided only for the guests for whom they are intended.
  • We will be making efforts to preserve the Disability Access Service (DAS) for those it’s intended to accommodate — only those guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time. To help with this, we are also extending DAS enrollment for eligible guests from 60 days to 120 days and adjusting DAS party size to include no more than four, except for immediate family members.
These updates take effect on May 20 at the Walt Disney World Resort and on June 18 at the Disneyland Resort.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...-access-services-for-disneyland-disney-world/

I'd appreciate you reading my entire post and not just the first 3.4 sentences, but as usual I'm immediately seeing a clear example of why I rarely talk about my own disability on this forum. I've deleted the post.

Can able bodied people in this thread please stop delivering advice when it is not asked for? It's unbelievably condescending to assume that I don't know how hydration works, never mind ignoring the other several paragraphs I typed to explain why CGMs aren't some magical diabetes cure. I've had to use ignore on about 7 users now and I'm a bit tired of it!

Yea I'm not going to touch most of what she / they said because - wow. But, there is one thing they said that I think is a fair consideration - "If you're not having a flare, then you don't need to be skipping the line all day every day. You can wait in lines."

I think this is an important consideration of DAS and DAS abuse / use. I have family members with DAS, I have a mum who is passed who used DAS. I've talked to and engaged with lots of people who use DAS. For some of those folks, like my mom, they would only use the DAS if they felt like they absolutely needed to, for others, they use it because they CAN. Many people, including those I know, have conditions that do "flare", Chrons, Anxiety, ADHD, physical issues, etc. On some days, at some times, they may need that DAS, other days, times, whole vacations - they might not. But several of those I know or have spoken to, use it regardless of their actual need on any given day/time. They may be well medicated, they may not be having a flare, they may be having a good day. But they have it, so they use it like its an FP system. I have NO idea how to prevent this, or if it should even be prevented. But it is a fair point to consider in the larger discussion.
Except it is NOT a fastpass. Return time is based on how long you would have waited in line. And I never know when my Crohns might erupt (and yes, that a word was carefully chosen). I use a scooter because I also have COPD. On oxygen 24/7. Without oxygen my sats sit the 70's. Without the scooter I'm short of breath almost immediately. Neither of these conditions appear to be included on the list of qualified conditions. I seem to have 3 choices: stay home even though we moved to Orlando because of Disney (and no snow), run over people trying to use the leave the line option or soil myself in public. How fair do those choices seem. Please stop making generalizations about things you don't, and god willling will never have to know about.

I searched for a thread but only saw one regarding Disneyland.

I’ve seen mention of some changes in DAS process happening beginning May 20th. We go in June so shortly after the changes take place so I just want to be sure I understand them. Has anyone else read about this yet? Can we discuss?

For the first point below, does this mean there is paperwork I need to gather in advance or submit to someone?

• We are teaming with Inspire Health Alliance’s health professionals, to help our Cast Members, as needed, determine eligibility for appropriate accommodations and ensure that these accommodations are provided only for the guests for whom they are intended.
  • We will be making efforts to preserve the Disability Access Service (DAS) for those it’s intended to accommodate — only those guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time. To help with this, we are also extending DAS enrollment for eligible guests from 60 days to 120 days and adjusting DAS party size to include no more than four, except for immediate family members.
These updates take effect on May 20 at the Walt Disney World Resort and on June 18 at the Disneyland Resort.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...-access-services-for-disneyland-disney-world/

I'd appreciate you reading my entire post and not just the first 3.4 sentences, but as usual I'm immediately seeing a clear example of why I rarely talk about my own disability on this forum. I've deleted the post.

Can able bodied people in this thread please stop delivering advice when it is not asked for? It's unbelievably condescending to assume that I don't know how hydration works, never mind ignoring the other several paragraphs I typed to explain why CGMs aren't some magical diabetes cure. I've had to use ignore on about 7 users now and I'm a bit tired of it!

Yea I'm not going to touch most of what she / they said because - wow. But, there is one thing they said that I think is a fair consideration - "If you're not having a flare, then you don't need to be skipping the line all day every day. You can wait in lines."

I think this is an important consideration of DAS and DAS abuse / use. I have family members with DAS, I have a mum who is passed who used DAS. I've talked to and engaged with lots of people who use DAS. For some of those folks, like my mom, they would only use the DAS if they felt like they absolutely needed to, for others, they use it because they CAN. Many people, including those I know, have conditions that do "flare", Chrons, Anxiety, ADHD, physical issues, etc. On some days, at some times, they may need that DAS, other days, times, whole vacations - they might not. But several of those I know or have spoken to, use it regardless of their actual need on any given day/time. They may be well medicated, they may not be having a flare, they may be having a good day. But they have it, so they use it like its an FP system. I have NO idea how to prevent this, or if it should even be prevented. But it is a fair point to consider in the larger discussion.
Except it is NOT a fastpass. Return time is based on how long you would have waited in line. And I never know when my Crohns might erupt (and yes, that a word was carefully chosen). I use a scooter because I also have COPD. On oxygen 24/7. Without oxygen my sats sit the 70's. Without the scooter I'm short of breath almost immediately. Neither of these conditions appear to be included on the list of qualified conditions. I seem to have 3 choices: stay home even though we moved to Orlando because of Disney (and no snow), run over people trying to use the leave the line option or soil myself in public. How fair do those choices seem. Please stop making generalizations about things you don't, and god willling will never have to know about.

I'm curious - do you think the likely possibility of an issue occurring would justify DAS? For some disabilities, a flare up might be obvious with warning signs and maybe you know when you wake up if you'd be good the entire day.

But lets say 75% of the time you're OK, 25% of the time with little to no warning you aren't. In your opinion, should you gamble on using the standby line since most of the time you'll be fine, or should you use DAS all of the time to prevent an issue that occurs 25% of the time?

Its difficult imho on where to draw the line.

They are going to be offering a return to line accommodation.

I've traveled to WDW with my cousin with MS. It was my trip in 2009 when we ran the half marathon! She ran it, too. She travels to WDW pretty much every year. Her condition is kind of cyclical (is that the right word?) where sometimes her MS is debilitating, and she needs to rent a scooter. Other times it's not, and walking and running is actually good for her and helps reduce the affects of MS. She has become an avid runner since her diagnosis, and being a runner has kept her symptoms more manageable for much of the time (not all the time). However, one issue she has is that she can't ride thrill rides and roller coasters anymore. For many people with MS, rides like those affect their condition and exacerbates their symptoms.

So, depending on symptoms, people with MS can rent a scooter. They can use the return to line option. If they want shorter lines, they can buy Genie+. There are lots of options available depending on their need on a given day!

I think there are a lot of people on here trying to claim that DAS is needed for them, but Disney will be offering other accommodations that are better suited to address the needs of various medical conditions and disabilities.

What is the return to line option? I am a solo traveler who utilizes DAS currently.

It is startling to see a number of people make broad generalizations about either a particular disease or the entire disabled community all whilst ignoring other people's comments that say these broad generalizations are not helpful in any way and in some cases are causing more angst for others.

I can sort of see it from the POV of someone who is fortunate enough to have no disabilities, maybe they don't understand. But it is even more shocking when someone says they have a disability and then goes on to say that they know what a given disability is like for everyone with that same disability and even further goes on to say that an accommodation which hasn't even been described to us yet beyond the name of it "Return to Queue" will work for certain disabilities.

I am in no way an expert on any particular disability, but I am knowledgeable enough to know that different things impact people in different ways. Just like austism is described on a spectrum and even that spectrum fails to completely describe an individual let alone their needs, every disability has a range of symptoms and these symptoms impact people in many different ways.

For one, I'd like to understand how the Return to Queue option will try to maintain people's dignity. Some of you may not be embarrassed to have to leave the line, but for others that can cause quite of bit of anxiety which can worsen symptoms. While you may not think this needs to be a requirement, I think its extremely important in how people should be treated, ADA law or not.

I don't think anyone should stereotype an entire group of people and say that they all can use the Return to Queue option, especially when we don't even know the details - but even afterwards, have some empathy and realize that your issues and symptoms while they maybe similar to others do not automatically mean that they solve the problem for everyone else.

I have ulcerative colitis so the return to line option sounds like the accommodation i will probably be given. Here are my concerns observations.
1. I understand that due to the nature of my disease i dont need the DAS all the time. But that same not needing all the time also leads itself it anxiety because i never know when a flare will hit me. That is a fact of life and can be very debilitating.
2. How will I leave the line? How do i notify them i left the line. When i have a flare it is a sudden urget need. I'm going to be running for a bathroom. Fighting back through a long line to get out sounds like a nightmare and an accident waitibg to happen. Yep, wearing a diaper is an option,thankfully one ive not had to employ yet. But chances of it not containing everything is a possibility. I,'m not going to have time to find a CM let alone talk to them.
2. How will i rejoin the line and how will they know where i was when i left? My flares are a mixed bag. Sometimes I'm lucky and a run to the bathroom and I'm good for awhile. Other times it continues to hit me in waves for 20+ min. So what happens if it takes me longer to get back to my group than the remaining time in line. Do they ride without me and then ride again when i can ride. Am i stuck now riding by myself or maybe 1 other person from my family. If I gone longer than my remaining wait in line, how do they know i was even in line and where in line i was if my party has now also completed and left the line.
Will i have to push my way back to my family in line. Will i wait for them to get to loading platform and rejoin them there? If i now wait outside of the line and rejoin when they get to the platform I now face spending a fair amount of extra time away from my family on top of what is needed to deal witb my issues.

Those who have sent off emails - I presume no replies back yet? Anyone got experience with how long the disability services generally take to reply?

No replies for me yet, they usually reply within a week - but I am sure they are getting overwhelmed right now with questions, so it might take even longer.

Has anyone tried calling them?

I just want to point out that many people who need DAS accommodations also purchase Genie+ for their park days. The rest of my family members can ride all the rides using Genie+, while I wait in my wheelchair in whatever shaded place I can find until they are off the rides.

It is not designed as a “cost saving” device for guests who don’t want to purchase Genie+.
The goal is to allow disabled guests who need the accommodation DAS provides by allowing one to wait for their turn to ride outside of the line.

Clearly, the DAS program needs tweaking as it appears some guests are abusing the system. No one appreciates that, especially those who actually need the accommodation waiting outside the line provides the disabled.

Let’s please stop judging one another.

No replies for me yet, they usually reply within a week - but I am sure they are getting overwhelmed right now with questions, so it might take even longer.

Has anyone tried calling them?
I called the UK number and was told it was likely I’d still be eligible for DAS and that they’d speak internally to get my email answered. However, the CM that told me that (through no fault of their own) probably has no idea who would and who wouldn’t qualify going forwards. I did say I would be cancelling my holiday otherwise.

Those who have sent off emails - I presume no replies back yet? Anyone got experience with how long the disability services generally take to reply?
Just sent my email about 30 minutes ago. Will share Disney's reply when I get one. Not expecting one any time soon - hopefully before my pre registration date of April 27th.
Did state in my email that I would happily supply a letter from my doctor. Because I would be voluntarily bringing or showing this letter, I don't see why ADA would have a problem because Disney would not be requiring it.

I called the UK number and was told it was likely I’d still be eligible for DAS and that they’d speak internally to get my email answered. However, the CM that told me that (through no fault of their own) probably has no idea who would and who wouldn’t qualify going forwards. I did say I would be cancelling my holiday otherwise.

It is somewhat re-assuring to hear that you'll still qualify for DAS, I guess we will just have to wait and see come April 21st what other's experiences are like.

There is some part of me that thinks the very restrictive language to try and deter abusers from applying for DAS at all and that those that really need it and can describe their needs will still be accommodated. I suspect interviews will take much longer now though if they want to dive deeper into your need, having CMs that have been trained by medical professionals I assume means they're going to be asking more questions.

That is my hope at least, but in the long run they of course run the risk that abusers will find out through word of mouth how to cheat the system anyway.

It is somewhat re-assuring to hear that you'll still qualify for DAS, I guess we will just have to wait and see come April 21st what other's experiences are like.

There is some part of me that thinks the very restrictive language to try and deter abusers from applying for DAS at all and that those that really need it and can describe their needs will still be accommodated. I suspect interviews will take much longer now though if they want to dive deeper into your need, having CMs that have been trained by medical professionals I assume means they're going to be asking more questions.

That is my hope at least, but in the long run they of course run the risk that abusers will find out through word of mouth how to cheat the system anyway.

The CM who told her/him that they would likely still qualify has no idea what they are talking about. I'm not saying that poster will/won't qualify, but that response should not be relied upon. How many times have we all been told blatantly incorrect information by CMs? All we can do now is wait.

I wrote to them about a year ago with a question and am still waiting for a reply 😏

I ended up finding my answer when I went to the parks shortly after and went to guest services.

I'm taking DD in May and our trip starts the 18th and goes through the 20th. I'm curious what we will notice while there. I'm very nervous about the chat and registration every time I have to do it, like I need to explain and defend myself. I've had times when they say oh I see you have had it before, ok, and other times where they just need to know my issue, one time it was tell me why you don't feel like you can wait in a standard queue. So I don't know what to expect, but in a week I will find out. I just hate that I feel like I have benefited from using DAS and it has caused me less stress which in the long run helps my condition. With more stress comes more pain.

Another reason I encourage anyone who has concerns with the changes to email guest.services@disneyworld.com and disability.services@disneyparks.com - maybe it will cause them to reconsider who will qualify for DAS. A simple verbiage update to say that their CMs will evaluate each person's needs on a case by case basis and provide the appropriate accommodation would probably make everyone feel a lot better as this thread has proven there are scenarios that are not developmental disabilities that may have a need for DAS still, while others may have disability needs that can be met by another accommodation such as the Return to Queue option.

I think a lot of the announced changes for DAS (getting rid of the pre-bookings, 10 minute wait before booking your next DAS, limit of 3 additional people in your DAS party) all make sense and potentially discourage abusers of the system from trying to get it.

Moving to a virtual-only system may also discourage abusers of the system as it was often easier to get in person with a much shorter wait. I know I have had to wait hours online to talk to someone when pre-registering but I often felt it was more desirable to talk in the privacy of my own home than to have others in the guest services line overhear my entire conversation and make rude remarks about how someone doesn't look disabled.

I am hopeful that in practice Disney does not limit DAS to only those with developmental disabilities and instead focuses on the need of the individual despite what their website has said. I do think with enough of us emailing them, it can make a difference and get them to reconsider.
I really hope you’re right that it’s not limited to those with developmental disabilities. My son has epilepsy. He can usually tell when a seizure is about to happen, and we can get him somewhere safe. That’s not happening in a long queue. Additionally, seizures can be triggered by inactivity. As an example, he played baseball for years. Never once had a seizure while batting or fielding. Happened at least once each game while sitting on the bench. So he can walk around WDW and be fine (for the most part - he might stumble once or twice if a mild seizure happens). But standing in line for an extended period has triggered seizures (one particularly memorable one while waiting to ride the People Mover, of all things. I guarantee my son would happily trade epilepsy for a long wait for thunder mountain.

I have no problem getting rid of pre-booking. That part made no sense to me, to be honest. And waiting to book the next return time also makes sense - it should approximate the time it would take someone to walk from one ride to the next. But excluding anyone with a physical disability is deeply upsetting to me. Despite being a teenager, my son loves WDW and we planned to go in August. We'll have to rethink things if this goes into effect.

That`s the million dollar ans
You ask how shortened lines are helpful in case of a bathroom emergency. First compare in a day how much time you would spend in a physical queue vs using DAS virtual queuing with LLs. You are going to spend much less time in queues, therefore reducing the risk of a bathroom emergency occurring in one.

This is especially important for those like me who have seconds to get to a bathroom on some occasions. LL queue or main queue, I’d probably have an accident, but over the course of my vacation, the huge reduction in time spent in physical queues also means a huge reduction in the chance of that accident happening.

Also, it’s going to be far more practical to get out of a shorter LL queue to run to the bathroom than it is being stuck in the middle of FOP standby with no CMs in sight
You ask how shortened lines are helpful in case of a bathroom emergency. First compare in a day how much time you would spend in a physical queue vs using DAS virtual queuing with LLs. You are going to spend much less time in queues, therefore reducing the risk of a bathroom emergency occurring in one.

This is especially important for those like me who have seconds to get to a bathroom on some occasions. LL queue or main queue, I’d probably have an accident, but over the course of my vacation, the huge reduction in time spent in physical queues also means a huge reduction in the chance of that accident happening.

Also, it’s going to be far more practical to get out of a shorter LL queue to run to the bathroom than it is being stuck in the middle of FOP standby with no CMs in sight!
That is the million dollar answer. Several times I also too have very short time to get to the bathroom. For me doesn`t matter if I`m in a flare or not. It is almost always immediate need! Approximately 6-7 times a day. If I`m all day in lines I definitely will have an accident. With DAS I never got in the LL line asap my time "has come". I was waited for my next bathroom brake and get in the line than. The LL too can get too long for me though... but less likely to have an accident. I would be happy to heal from my IDB and be able to stay in regular lines!!! Also have you ever tried to "escape" from a crowded, narrow line holding back ?! The whole reason I know about DAS is exist that a CM saw me desperately getting out of a line to get to the bathroom after my return they advised to get DAS. I can guarantee you no regular line is suitable for immediate escape. In a 3 hours line probably I would have to get out 3 times.... so my line would be 4+ hours. Is this equality? Having a disability spending more time to get to the ride than the able persons? I can`t believe Disney would do something like that. In Disneyland Paris they require Disabled ID or official doctors paper. I would be happy to provide both if it comes to that!

I think it's good for all of us to keep in mind (especially able-bodied posters) that many here are just venting frustrations and anxieties to what they hope is an empathetic audience.
I think that goes both ways. You yourself called me able-bodied but how do you know that I am? How do you know that there isn't something that I deal with with park touring or not? The mods have tried to give the warning about not comparing disability against disability but it also should go towards remarks made against other people. Everyone needs to pause. I think able-bodied as a term is being overused throughout this thread and often has a specific connotation but that's a personal preference.

I don't have a disability but I do have sensitive ears having been born with that, it's hard to describe the pain I experience but I was that kid screaming on a flight when I was a kid because my ears hurt, I am that adult who startles with loud bangs and finds 4th of July to be a day of anxiety due to high probability of sudden loud noises.

It was about 8 or so years ago when I was at an urgent care (to take care of my yearly sinus infections) that the person said "oh my you have very small windy twisty ear canals" and honestly that might be in part why my ears are sensitive if not the majority of the reason. Ear plugs often don't work, ear buds (like for listening to music) don't either as one side is shaped weirdly enough that they fall out. Normal ear plugs put too much pressure on my ear and end up being painful. I did find petite sized soft foam ear plugs that I took on my 2022 trip because certain parts of rides are too loud such as the cave part of 7DMT even the climb of BTMMR. Majority of what I tend to do on rides is hold one side of my ear awkwardly and the restraint and then the other ear is mushed up against my shoulder. The foam ear plugs really do help there. Prior to 2022 I had taken bulkier noise reduction headphones to our 2017 trip but the ones I found while reducing 22 decibels instead of the prior 25 were a lot easier to travel with.

If you see me with noise reduction headphones while watching the fireworks (and you will) it's not because I'm autistic it's because it is physically painful for loud noises like fireworks. Sudden abrupt noises is way worse from motorcycles to cars (my sister-in-law's bf has a corvette and I need to be somewhere else when he starts it). If I can anticipate it I can put my fingers behind my ears to reduce the noise. Up until my late teens every movie I saw in the theater I did this for the majority of the movie.

Really this has nothing to do with the DAS changes nor a personal need for DAS and Disney can't accommodate my issue anyhow but just to say the person commenting isn't always giving unsolicited medical advice, isn't always able-bodied, isn't always xyz. I understand your call for empathy and agree. I can't compare my loud noise issue with so many people, to me while painful, while annoying and awkward, while making me need to be vigilant it isn't the same as so many situations others in many threads have disclosed but it also doesn't mean any comments I give should be presumed that without such disclosure of issues I'm right as rain. It's just as condescending in my book.

That said, the lack of accommodations at Disneyland for fireworks, parades, WOC, etc is a choice by Disney, not a lack of ability to provide it. And those accommodations *are* provided for those things at Disney World.
I’m not familiar with DLR but it could be operational. And I’m not aware of parade or fireworks viewing areas for DAS at WDW. Sometimes a DAS holder is allowed into the wheelchair/ECV seating, but it is limited.

If they have accommodations for people like my husband, who has MS, I wish they would announce them. Because based on what they’ve announced, he will have nothing.
MS is a diagnosis, not a specific need to be accommodated. I know folks with MS who travel to WDW and manage their needs. I know folks with MS who are so debilitated they are unable to travel and no accommodation from WDW would make it feasible.

If Disney doesn’t want him to access DAS, they could do other things like give him a cooling vest. His workplace did that.

Under ADA, they are not different.
Accommodations at a workplace or school-related fall under separate, more detailed rules than general public accommodations. WDW is under no obligation to provide a cooling vest or any other equipment for a guest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter