Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

I rented out points for a reservation with the check in date being today. I received my 30% payment this afternoon from David's. I do not know if the guests checked in or not. I did not receive any communication from David's that the guest wanted to cancel or change the reservation. Since the guests were from the U.K. I am assuming that they either decided to loose the money they spent, disputed the charge, or they had travel insurance.
Glad to hear you got your 30%. We were able to re-schedule our trip from May to October (same owner) who has been amazing in helping with the rescheduling. She actually sent me an email, we coordinated the change in dates, and then we both contacted Daves. Can't say enough about how great this owner has been, and happy to hear that there is precedence that she will get her 30% when we check in.

Did you guys see there are a bunch of dedicated reservations for $9 a point?? 😨 I just saw it shared on their Facebook page. Wow. I have to assume that means the number of people who are willing to both travel right now and rent points is really low.

Did you guys see there are a bunch of dedicated reservations for $9 a point?? 😨 I just saw it shared on their Facebook page. Wow. I have to assume that means the number of people who are willing to both travel right now and rent points is really low.

I saw that too...it’s crazy.

When you compare $19 a point, its not competitive with the direct rates people can get right now.

Can someone explain to me the dedicated reservations ?

I’m assuming owner and renter were matched previously. Renter perhaps has decided not to go and take a voucher. Does owner hold onto reservation in expectation of receiving the 30 percent ?

is David’s just trying to get a little extra something out of it?

When you compare $19 a point, its not competitive with the direct rates people can get right now.

Yeah, I know we’ve had lots of discussion about that in here, but at the regular prices right now there’s not near enough of a discount from the actual rates you can get through Disney to take on the risk and the hassle of a point rental, IMO.

With heavy AP discounts coming back already, I won’t be surprised if regular discounts are on the horizon.

I’m assuming owner and renter were matched previously. Renter perhaps has decided not to go and take a voucher. Does owner hold onto reservation in expectation of receiving the 30 percent ?

I think some may be owners trying to rent out their own existing reservations?

There has also been at least one person amongst these discussions somewhere (can’t remember where) who was told when they didn’t feel comfortable going when the resorts were open David’s would attempt to re-rent their reservation and give them back a portion as a refund if successful.

I expect we’ll see rental prices collapse further in the next few months. I think they’ll recover just fine once things pick back up but the short term will just keep getting uglier. If your options are let 200 points expire or take $2/point, who would turn down $400 for an hour of work?

If your options are let 200 points expire or take $2/point, who would turn down $400 for an hour of work?
What if the renter damages the room and leaves you on the hook with the resort? It really ins't worth is at $2/point, maybe $10/point.

We are going to have to loss 32 points this year, since it just isn't worth it to rent them out.

What if the renter damages the room and leaves you on the hook with the resort? It really ins't worth is at $2/point, maybe $10/point.

We are going to have to loss 32 points this year, since it just isn't worth it to rent them out.
It won’t be worth it to everyone, sure, but I do imagine there will be continued downward pressure.

Just got my CC dispute resolved in my favor!

Reservation was for 3 days starting on 3/19, The day before resorts closed. Waited for David’s to make things right but didn’t like some of the provisions in his voucher offer.
Filed with Chase Sapphire Reserve about May 10. Did not have to supply any paperwork, just discussed with agent on the phone.

Love my Chase Sapphire card.

OK, these are reservations that have already been made. Some by owners who were already matched up with renters and the renters have chosen not to go (typically COVID related reasons, quarantine, travel ban, etc.). The renters contact David's to see if David's can re-rent the reservation and/or get some of their (renters) money back. Depending on the travel insurance policy the renter has, they have to make efforts to mitigate their losses. David's reaches out to contact the owners to see if they will make the change, promising an extra $2-3 per point if David's successfully re-rents the reservation [from what I've read, under the terms of the original agreement]). So, in the beginning, David's was trying to get $19/point, give $3/point to the owner, and return $16/point to the renter (thereby, not making anything other than the original commission). Well, that's not working well because there are a lot more reservations than there are renters. So the prices have to go down, especially for travel within the next 30 days or so.

Disney is not accepting new reservations for 2020 so if anyone wants to go, it has to be through a DVC reservation

Just got my CC dispute resolved in my favor!

Reservation was for 3 days starting on 3/19, The day before resorts closed. Waited for David’s to make things right but didn’t like some of the provisions in his voucher offer.
Filed with Chase Sapphire Reserve about May 10. Did not have to supply any paperwork, just discussed with agent on the phone.

Love my Chase Sapphire card.

congrats. Seems like most of the chase sapphire have won their disputes!

OK, these are reservations that have already been made. Some by owners who were already matched up with renters and the renters have chosen not to go (typically COVID related reasons, quarantine, travel ban, etc.). The renters contact David's to see if David's can re-rent the reservation and/or get some of their (renters) money back. Depending on the travel insurance policy the renter has, they have to make efforts to mitigate their losses. David's reaches out to contact the owners to see if they will make the change, promising an extra $2-3 per point if David's successfully re-rents the reservation [from what I've read, under the terms of the original agreement]). So, in the beginning, David's was trying to get $19/point, give $3/point to the owner, and return $16/point to the renter (thereby, not making anything other than the original commission). Well, that's not working well because there are a lot more reservations than there are renters. So the prices have to go down, especially for travel within the next 30 days or so.

Disney is not accepting new reservations for 2020 so if anyone wants to go, it has to be through a DVC reservation
In addition to that, if you want to rent your points right now through a broker, the only way to offer them at a discounted rate is with a dedicated reservation.

I'm the one who posted about David's offering me most of my money back if the owner was willing to change the name on the reservation, which they were. My rental is on the dedicated rentals pages for Sept... I counted over 200 last I checked just for that month though.

My dad would like to go - he's not as concerned about the virus as I am. The numbers today put FL at 4th in the world for number of cases in one day - 15k. Could be partially due to more testing now than what was available back in the spring but I won't feel comfortable going unless numbers come down.

So... I will likely lose the money I paid either way, but if my dad wants to use the reservation than at least it won't be a total loss. I will join him if the numbers come down before Labor Day week.

Disney started accepting new reservations for 2020 last Thursday. They also have a 40% discount offer for AP's and another offer for FL residents I believe.

Ok, I wasn't sure if they had done that yet. I only looked for theme park tickets and then the day I was going to buy them, my friend canceled her trip to WDW. :P

Ok, I wasn't sure if they had done that yet. I only looked for theme park tickets and then the day I was going to buy them, my friend canceled her trip to WDW. :P

Yeah, they announced it the afternoon before they became available, so not much notice! Park tickets are available now also. I got them for my dad and I along with park reservations and we will watch the situation and make a decision as we get closer to Sept.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter