Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

I have joined this party late as I am an owner with 2 reservations coming up at Aulani. It is looking like the resort will definitely be closed. I have read David’s new contracts and am not a fan. Hoping to find out from other owners that have been through this what my options are. I don’t need to know what you decided to do, just weighing options. David has not reached out to me as of yet, but I expect something soon.

I also have an Aulani reservation booked for someone in August. I haven’t heard anything from David’s about that reservation yet. I did contact them about it about six weeks ago to ask them to contact the renter to see if they wanted to change dates. They said they hadn’t heard anything from the renter to indicate that and didn’t seem to be willing to reach out to the renter to offer a change as an option.

Aulani will cancel automatically about 7 days prior.

you don’t need to do anything to cancel. Renter is probably waiting for cancelllation then will try to chargeback.

Possibly. They are from South Korea though so I’m surprised they haven’t contacted Davids. I don’t know if they even know about the seven day cancellation.

I also have an Aulani reservation booked for someone in August. I haven’t heard anything from David’s about that reservation yet. I did contact them about it about six weeks ago to ask them to contact the renter to see if they wanted to change dates. They said they hadn’t heard anything from the renter to indicate that and didn’t seem to be willing to reach out to the renter to offer a change as an option.

I'm in the same situation.

These are my options from an email I received:

"We are asking if you would be willing to return the 70% of funds sent to you for the reservation. The funds that are returned will go towards a Travel Credit for the family. This Travel Credit will be in the total amount that the Family paid for their reservation including our commission.
If refunding the money is not feasible, would you be willing to re-rent your returned points? By re-renting your returned points the funds from the new guest will go towards the Travel Credit."

I am really confused how things will work since these were banked March 2019 use year points. What if they cannot be re-rented and expire?

I had a resv at Aulani - David would not address it so I did a chargeback and won
As an Owner with resv at WDW during closure I offered for one of my two resv to change the revs dates - David said ok - I was working with renter directly then everyone got quiet - well come to find out later renter was offered voucher - keep in mind this process started long before he came up with the voucher program
Go forward several months before I hear from him again and all out if blue he sends me a new rental request for my 2nd rental person - not the first - but quoted to me how many points I owe him to rent - for the rest of this story see above post
I have made it crystal clear I’m NOT signing any new agreements period the end as their new terms are horrible to Owners - they have stated I won’t have to but
Words are wind these people lie

I'm in the same situation.

These are my options from an email I received:

"We are asking if you would be willing to return the 70% of funds sent to you for the reservation. The funds that are returned will go towards a Travel Credit for the family. This Travel Credit will be in the total amount that the Family paid for their reservation including our commission.
If refunding the money is not feasible, would you be willing to re-rent your returned points? By re-renting your returned points the funds from the new guest will go towards the Travel Credit."

I am really confused how things will work since these were banked March 2019 use year points. What if they cannot be re-rented and expire?

If you decide to allow him to rent the points again, then you only need to worry about them for trips before they expire next February.

It would be up to him to find a renter for your points. If I was in this position, I would not be refunding money unless I wanted to have the points back to use myself.

The key is that if he gets a new renter for later, you will not be paid the 30% you are owed until the new check in date. Be sure you are okay with that as well.

My only concern with re-renting is the new contracts he has put in place. Did anyone have any luck getting him to agree that it would still fall under the old contract? Do I trust him even if he agrees? Refunding is not really an option for us as we are Canadian and will get killed with the current exchange rate. Uggg. What a situation. This is the first and last time I ever rent out our points.

Hey all, I have a reservation I rented through David’s for an 8/7 check-in date. They reached out to me today to say the renters are cancelling and to see if I would re-rent for the $2/ pt. What happens if no one bites for the $9 special? Could I change the names 48-72 hours before check in and use it? The emails confirmed I’ll receive my 30% check-in amount. Just curious what becomes of the points if no one shows up.

Hey all, I have a reservation I rented through David’s for an 8/7 check-in date. They reached out to me today to say the renters are cancelling and to see if I would re-rent for the $2/ pt. What happens if no one bites for the $9 special? Could I change the names 48-72 hours before check in and use it? The emails confirmed I’ll receive my 30% check-in amount. Just curious what becomes of the points if no one shows up.
If no one shows up, you will not be paid the 30% left per your original contract AND your points will be lost

My only concern with re-renting is the new contracts he has put in place. Did anyone have any luck getting him to agree that it would still fall under the old contract? Do I trust him even if he agrees? Refunding is not really an option for us as we are Canadian and will get killed with the current exchange rate. Uggg. What a situation. This is the first and last time I ever rent out our points.

This was one of our concerns too (exchange rate conversion costs) so we opted to just leave the money in paypal until check in...

If no one shows up, you will not be paid the 30% left per your original contract AND your points will be lost

I think with resorts open, owners are supposed to get the 30% owed as this is a renters cancellation.

Points will be lost but there is no reason an owner should not get paid.

Now, I did read where this happened and the owner only lost points for first day...DVc returned the rest...might have been a glitch, but it’s possible.

I think if you change the names and use it yourself, you owe the money back.

Now, if it were me, and I could, go and David’s was offering for $9, I might say I’d rent it for that, take off the money I was owed and send the difference and keep the points,

Of course, David’s might now allow that...lol

I think if you change the names and use it yourself, you owe the money back.

Now, if it were me, and I could, go and David’s was offering for $9, I might say I’d rent it for that, take off the money I was owed and send the difference and keep the points,

Of course, David’s might now allow that...lol

What a great idea. If you did it in a friend’s name he’d be none the wiser and the points would only cost $7 after the $2 extra payment for the name change is taken into account

Just had my second request from David’s to make a name change. As this rate all four of the bookings I have with him will be re-rented!
Well, they'll be advertised on the site to be re-rented, but most will simply go unused. With all of the confirmed reservations for rent, there are a lot of points that are just simply expiring.

I do wonder if many people will try to back out of private rentals (if they can get a full refund from the owner) and look to book one of these bargain reservations instead. That would be pretty low, but I bet it will happen.

I can tell you that the Doubletree Disney Springs (a good neighbor hotel) has noticably lower prices later this year than they did same time last year.
It's not just in the WDW area. We are helping our daughter move to Madison, WI for her graduate program. Hotel rates are dropping like a rock for those August dates while I watch, with plenty of availability.

Who seriously thinks Disney won't get closed again soon...
I don't think Florida state government will close them unless the DeSantis administration has a drastic change of heart. Orange County? Maybe, maybe not.

I doubt Disney does it on their own unless they end up in a huge publicity disaster as a repeat super-spreader location. And, in the current media environment, it would be hard to garner that much negative attention given the other dumpster fires nearly everywhere you look.

Just had my second request from David’s to make a name change. As this rate all four of the bookings I have with him will be re-rented!
A lot of people are canceling due to case growth, particularly in Florida. That they paid and might not get anything back isn't as important as the growing risk of infection for an increasing number of people. For example, Disney apparently shifted some of their excess ticket-holder/resort guest Park Pass availability into the Annual Passholder bucket in the past day or so. Possibly that is happening because resort bookings/day ticket cancellations are trending lower than expected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter