DCL new mask policy on sailings from 3/11/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting...still required in the Walt Disney theater, is that due to performers being unmasked or because they'll be filling up the seats again vs social distancing?

And what part of Castaway Cay requires it? Bathrooms? Trams? Just curious.
That’s what I was thinking too. I’m thinking maybe lines for food if it’s crowded? Unless a Bahamas has a general mask mandate for indoor places. Maybe that means the stores and bathrooms

when looking at the CDC color levels that track COVID cases/infection rates on the ships
Actually, those color codes are really misleading and don't particularly tell any kind of valuable information. It only takes a very few crew positives to put it into the red -- it could be 5 cases or 100 cases, both are red status. And that may may or may not indicate anything about passengers. Folks need to remember that the CMs are essentially stuck onboard in tight quarters. If virus gets onboard it is much more likely to run through the CMs than the passengers who will exit the ship in 4-7 days. And if one becomes seriously ill, they may be stuck debarking at a port with limited healthcare resources rather than here in the US. And CMs with virus means more CMs quarantined, which means potential for cancelled onboard activities.

Actually, those color codes are really misleading and don't particularly tell any kind of valuable information. It only takes a very few crew positives to put it into the red -- it could be 5 cases or 100 cases, both are red status. And that may may or may not indicate anything about passengers. Folks need to remember that the CMs are essentially stuck onboard in tight quarters. If virus gets onboard it is much more likely to run through the CMs than the passengers who will exit the ship in 4-7 days. And if one becomes seriously ill, they may be stuck debarking at a port with limited healthcare resources rather than here in the US. And CMs with virus means more CMs quarantined, which means potential for cancelled onboard activities.
That all may be, but my point still stands. If the at-the-port testing made a significant difference vs pre-arrival testing, the other cruise lines would be doing it as well. It's not like they don't care about their staff or passengers but Disney does. It's also not like those ships are having big outbreaks and Disney isn't. It's just very hard for me to fathom that the number of additional cases caught by at-the-port vs pre-arrival (which is really just 48 hrs difference) is statistically/medically significant. That being said, I will add a very large, bold IMHO to all of this since I don't have figures or numbers so there's no real way for me to know.

Also, I will say, I will do WHATEVER Disney asks of me to go on the cruise haha. They want me to test at the port, you betcha I'll be testing at the port.

Why is being exposed onboard more dangerous than being exposed anywhere else? That's my point. Life goes on. Why do only the fun parts have to be ruined?

Because, if you were exposed and needed medical attention, a ship's medical facilities likely would not be enough for you. Yes, that's an extreme case, but that's part of the consideration when thinking about possible exposure (and actually, the CDC took that into account with its latest mask guidance). Not passing any judgement on anyone or their opinions on masks/cruising, as everyone has diffrent risk tolerance. Just answering the question you asked about why being exposed onboard is more dangerous. (Plus, as we all know ships are already higher-risk for other contagious illnesses, so exposure on board has a higher likelyhood to lead to increase disease spread than 'on land.'). Not saying DCL is in the wrong here, but cruise ships are a bit different environment than some other places.

That all may be, but my point still stands. If the at-the-port testing made a significant difference vs pre-arrival testing, the other cruise lines would be doing it as well. It's not like they don't care about their staff or passengers but Disney does. It's also not like those ships are having big outbreaks and Disney isn't. It's just very hard for me to fathom that the number of additional cases caught by at-the-port vs pre-arrival (which is really just 48 hrs difference) is statistically/medically significant. That being said, I will add a very large, bold IMHO to all of this since I don't have figures or numbers so there's no real way for me to know.

Also, I will say, I will do WHATEVER Disney asks of me to go on the cruise haha. They want me to test at the port, you betcha I'll be testing at the port.

As you say, we don't have the numbers. But, we haven't seen a Disney cruise cancelled or rerouted because of a virus outbreak. We have seen that happen with other lines. Some of the bigger lines have entire cruise ships set aside for quarantining staff, but Disney hasn't had to do that. Disney had a minor outbreak on the Fantasy during the Omicron wave, which shut down some of the entertainment, but otherwise they seem to be doing pretty well compared to the other lines. I don't know if that's because testing at the port is better (though, logically it should be) or if it's for some other reason. Best not to speculate too much.

As you say, we don't have the numbers. But, we haven't seen a Disney cruise cancelled or rerouted because of a virus outbreak. We have seen that happen with other lines. Some of the bigger lines have entire cruise ships set aside for quarantining staff, but Disney hasn't had to do that. Disney had a minor outbreak on the Fantasy during the Omicron wave, which shut down some of the entertainment, but otherwise they seem to be doing pretty well compared to the other lines. I don't know if that's because testing at the port is better (though, logically it should be) or if it's for some other reason. Best not to speculate too much.
I enjoy how you say "best not to speculate much" right after speculating by saying that all those things are "logically" because testing at the port is better. I mean I'm not going to go on and on about this because you are right about one thing, best not to speculate (and at this point we're just arguing semantics).

Just to finish with a little logic of my own though, the CDC themselves say people should be tested 2-3 days before a cruise (depending on level of vaccination). Of course, they don't say NOT to test at the port on arrival, but the CDC also wouldn't allow for pre-arrival testing windows if it were not safe to do so. And since, according to the experts, it is safe AND it allows for more flexibility/a better guest experience (just ask any of those who had to fly back home after being denied boarding about the guest experience part), then I see no reason why not to make the switch. That being said, it ain't up to me, so like everyone else, we'll just wait and see what DCL does.

Do I understand you correctly that you want to be on a cruise with passengers who are COVID positive and shedding the virus? As much as it sucks that we all have to be tested, the reason is to have a COVID-free cruise.

Others have already said what I wanted to say, but I'll say it anyway: I'd love for the pre-cruise testing to be 2-3 days before sailing like nearly all other cruise lines, not the day of embarkation. With the horror stories of asymptomatic positives at the port, and with the knowledge that everyone who is on the ship tested negative within the last couple of days, I think it would be a reasonable and beneficial change.

This is great news. Would love to see the pre cruise testing moved to 2-3 days out. Flying any type of a distance with the possibility of being denied boarding is nerve racking.

It is weird that the Walt Disney Theatre requires masks yet the Buena Vista doesn't.

This is great news. Would love to see the pre cruise testing moved to 2-3 days out. Flying any type of a distance with the possibility of being denied boarding is nerve racking.

It is weird that the Walt Disney Theatre requires masks yet the Buena Vista doesn't.
Pre-board testing means Disney pays for it, so I'm okay with them leaving it there until it's done away with entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter