Debt Dumpers - 2018

Well, had to add some money to the Medical line of the budget this morning... I started having a cough yesterday that was worse this morning, but not terrible. Since I'm supposed to be in Miami this time next week, I decided I'd stop by urgent care and try to get a prescription for prednisone to knock it out of me. I got in there and to my surprise I had a 100 degree fever :mad: I tested negative on the rapid flu test, but I know that's what I have because one of my inconsiderate coworkers came to work with strain A and didn't take Tamiflu, despite the generous sick leave plan he has. I generally feel fine, slight cough and some soreness in my elbows. Don't feel like I have a fever at all. They did give me Tamiflu so I took the first dose of that. I think the Tamiflu has made me slightly nauseous, so I'm going to try to sleep it off.

Well, had to add some money to the Medical line of the budget this morning... I started having a cough yesterday that was worse this morning, but not terrible. Since I'm supposed to be in Miami this time next week, I decided I'd stop by urgent care and try to get a prescription for prednisone to knock it out of me. I got in there and to my surprise I had a 100 degree fever :mad: I tested negative on the rapid flu test, but I know that's what I have because one of my inconsiderate coworkers came to work with strain A and didn't take Tamiflu, despite the generous sick leave plan he has. I generally feel fine, slight cough and some soreness in my elbows. Don't feel like I have a fever at all. They did give me Tamiflu so I took the first dose of that. I think the Tamiflu has made me slightly nauseous, so I'm going to try to sleep it off.
Feel better soon!

Oh and when we had the guy from home depot over last night, something happened that I found pretty funny. When DD started rubbing her eyes (her tell tale sign of being ready for bed), DH took her to her bassinet and put her to sleep. She settled right down, without as much as a peep, which is pretty typical for her. The guy was like, wait, is she asleep now? Just like that? No crying, no fuss? He was in total shock. :rotfl2:

That's awesome! I started off nursing to sleep, then we switched to DH giving a bottle of pumped so I could do a nurse at like 8 and go to bed, and he'd walk her to sleep, then once we moved DD to her own room, we worked on being able to put her down awake, which is what we do now.
have you sorted things with DH's parents? Are they coming for her ceremony also?

Last edited:

I hope you feel better! Gotta love inconsiderate co-workers who go to work sick. :sad2:

I hope you feel better! Gotta love inconsiderate co-workers who go to work sick. :sad2:

Right?! Makes me especially angry because I'm a PTO only employee, which means all my vacation days and sick days come out of my PTO. So between the three days I'm taking off next week for vacation, plus the two days I'm planning for April, PLUS whatever I have to take off this week, I'm really going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Right?! Makes me especially angry because I'm a PTO only employee, which means all my vacation days and sick days come out of my PTO. So between the three days I'm taking off next week for vacation, plus the two days I'm planning for April, PLUS whatever I have to take off this week, I'm really going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Me too. I'm completely out of time. Dh brought home the flu in early Feb and coughed all over the place. He has no concept of germ control by hand washing. Ugh! He did test positive for the flu so 2 days later, they didn't bother testing me. The Tamiflu did help mine go away faster but still it eventually became a sinus infection which for me requires a trip to the ENT, antibiotics & steroids. I found the Tamiflu not so bad by taking it with meals.

My immune system is so run down. I had mono in Dec that caused Reactive Arthritis + fatigue from Hell-o! I could hardly walk for weeks and even once I could, something simple like taking ds to a dr appt would wipe me out the rest of the day and the next day too. I've been out of work since Dec 6. It's been getting better but I really didn't need the flu & sinusitis on top of all that.
At my follow up appt with the rheumatologist she called it Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and signed me out of work til next January but if they won't hold my job all that time. I have to return by next Wed when my FMLA ends. We are on our feet and on the go, fast-paced, all day so I don't know how I'm going to do it. I have to at least try. If I collapse at work at least I know I didn't just sit home saying I can't work.
I already hired ds17 as a biweekly cleaning service. If I'm going to pay someone, it might as well be him. He does a good job but doesn't do it all at once which is a pain but hopefully with more experience, he gets quicker with it & develops a system to be more efficient. It's been record-high warm here in NJ so I let him skate (I know he's itching to get outside.) but with lots of rain coming he will get it done.

I didn't really feel like talking about it before but now that you mentioned PTO got me thinking how depleted my bank is now and even though I have several days scheduled off in March, I will have to give them back because I don't have time in the bank to cover them.
I'm sick & tired of being sick & tired.

After looking at disability options & very high possibility of it being denied has really made me sit down and look at our big financial picture & while I'm so relieved to have 99% of our debt gone, we still have a mortgage and can't get by on one income. All the more reason it is best to hunker down and pay everything off. This all started abruptly out of nowhere. :sad2:

That's awesome! I started off nursing to sleep, then we switched to DH giving a bottle of pumped so I could do a nurse at like 8 and go to bed, and he'd walk her to sleep, then once we moved DD to her own room, we worked on being able to put her down awake, which is what we do now.
have you sorted things with DH's parents? Are they coming for her ceremony also?

No, haven't worked things out with the in-laws. I don't think about it much honestly and I don't think DH does either. I did ask him if we should invite them to the ceremony and he said no. I am letting him make that decision.

Me too. I'm completely out of time. Dh brought home the flu in early Feb and coughed all over the place. He has no concept of germ control by hand washing. Ugh! He did test positive for the flu so 2 days later, they didn't bother testing me. The Tamiflu did help mine go away faster but still it eventually became a sinus infection which for me requires a trip to the ENT, antibiotics & steroids. I found the Tamiflu not so bad by taking it with meals.

My immune system is so run down. I had mono in Dec that caused Reactive Arthritis + fatigue from Hell-o! I could hardly walk for weeks and even once I could, something simple like taking ds to a dr appt would wipe me out the rest of the day and the next day too. I've been out of work since Dec 6. It's been getting better but I really didn't need the flu & sinusitis on top of all that.
At my follow up appt with the rheumatologist she called it Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and signed me out of work til next January but if they won't hold my job all that time. I have to return by next Wed when my FMLA ends. We are on our feet and on the go, fast-paced, all day so I don't know how I'm going to do it. I have to at least try. If I collapse at work at least I know I didn't just sit home saying I can't work.
I already hired ds17 as a biweekly cleaning service. If I'm going to pay someone, it might as well be him. He does a good job but doesn't do it all at once which is a pain but hopefully with more experience, he gets quicker with it & develops a system to be more efficient. It's been record-high warm here in NJ so I let him skate (I know he's itching to get outside.) but with lots of rain coming he will get it done.

I didn't really feel like talking about it before but now that you mentioned PTO got me thinking how depleted my bank is now and even though I have several days scheduled off in March, I will have to give them back because I don't have time in the bank to cover them.
I'm sick & tired of being sick & tired.

After looking at disability options & very high possibility of it being denied has really made me sit down and look at our big financial picture & while I'm so relieved to have 99% of our debt gone, we still have a mortgage and can't get by on one income. All the more reason it is best to hunker down and pay everything off. This all started abruptly out of nowhere. :sad2:

I am so sorry! That really stinks, to say the very least. I had a terrible case of mono about 10 years ago. It was so bad we thought I was going to have to be hospitalized because I just could not get over it. My mom suffers from something similar to you- Epstein Barr Virus. It comes and goes and she's mostly fine, but when she had the initial bout of it she was very sick for a long time. Please take care of yourself!

I am so sorry! That really stinks, to say the very least. I had a terrible case of mono about 10 years ago. It was so bad we thought I was going to have to be hospitalized because I just could not get over it. My mom suffers from something similar to you- Epstein Barr Virus. It comes and goes and she's mostly fine, but when she had the initial bout of it she was very sick for a long time. Please take care of yourself!

:hug:
Thanks! You take care of yourself too.
How long was your mom sick when she first got it? This is very frustrating because I'm such a "just get it done" kind of person. Some days I feel like I don't do anything and I'm just a slug. I can't stand so much sitting around.
I was slowly getting better til today and I know this sounds crazy but it's so warm here right now and I know after returning to work I won't have the time or energy, so I should be cleaning some windows or it will never get done. Sigh...

@Ngwira We really like the Best Western Anaheim Inn, 5 minute walk to security, hot breakfast, remodeled rooms, charges a small resort fee but parking is included with it. It's also right next to a Denny's, Tony Roma's, Jimboys, small convenience store, etc. Our second choice would be the Tropicana Inn, 5 minute walk to security, recently remodeled rooms, comfy, has a convenience store is next door to McDonald's. Downside is they do charge something like $17 a day for parking. We've also stayed at Best Western Pavilions, it's a little bit further from the parks (maybe 10-15 minute walk? we uber'd so i can't say for certain), they offer a breakfast certificate for the Denny's that's in the same parking lot, quiet, rooms weren't bad. It's a little cheaper than the first two options because it's a little further away.

Other places we've stayed that we'd maybe stay at again if the price was right: Hotel Menage (now known as the Four Points by Sheraton) and the Days Inn and Suites Anaheim (on S. Harbor). Both of these hotels are "over the freeway" so they're maybe a 10-20 minute walk (Days Inn is slightly further away). The Sheraton charges for parking, Days Inn doesn't (at least when we stayed). Across the street is a Chevron, Starbucks, and Taco Bell. Next to the Days Inn there is a Shakey's Pizza. Sheraton didn't offer a free breakfast, but Days Inn offered a continental breakfast.

Hope this helps!
It does. Thank you. I have a glut of Hyatt points though, so looks like we'll be staying at the Hyatt House in Anaheim in a suite. I'm thinking 4 nights in Anaheim (with a day trip to Los Angeles) and 2 nights in San Diego to check out the zoo. This would be for Spring Break/Easter of next year. We plan to do 2 park days on the weekday to avoid crowds.

Headed to Washington DC this weekend to check out the Smithsonian museums. Got an excellent rate at the Fairmont Washington DC in Georgetown which included lounge access and parking. We also have a free walking tour of the National Mall scheduled.
Hope everyone that's sick feels better.

I tested negative on the rapid flu test, but I know that's what I have because one of my inconsiderate coworkers came to work with strain A and didn't take Tamiflu, despite the generous sick leave plan he has.

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I was sick most of January due to a coworker who is actually maxed out on sick time (can't accumulate anymore since she has so much) who wouldn't stay home at all - didn't take even one sick day. I on the other hand tend to get everything and am scraping the bottom of the barrel as well with sick time. I wish employers would be better about asking people to stay home when sick!

Oh no, that sounds awful! I had mono in college and just slept all day every day for a couple of weeks (the entirety of our Christmas break). The doctor was going to write me a note to get me out of classes the following term, but luckily I rebounded quickly. I hope you feel better very soon! :hug:

Last edited:
Well, the dealership screwed around long enough with getting the title to the car I was trying to buy, that it still isn't in and now we're renting a car to go on our trip tomorrow. We wasted a full day of vacation time because "it should be here tomorrow". I'm beyond irritated and about to tell them to shove their car where sun don't shine and I'll to elsewhere.

Watch, I'll get a call from them tomorrow about halfway through Missouri saying it's in and do I want to come by and finalize everything. :furious:

:hug:
Thanks! You take care of yourself too.
How long was your mom sick when she first got it? This is very frustrating because I'm such a "just get it done" kind of person. Some days I feel like I don't do anything and I'm just a slug. I can't stand so much sitting around.
I was slowly getting better til today and I know this sounds crazy but it's so warm here right now and I know after returning to work I won't have the time or energy, so I should be cleaning some windows or it will never get done. Sigh...

Totally understand what you mean! It's hard for me to remember because her first case of it was when I was in high school. I feel like she was really down and out for at least a month though. Back then I had to leave for school at 6:35 in the morning and I remember my dad drove me to school for a long time because she would sleep in much later, where normally she was always awake and driving me to school. Usually hers relapses when she's really stressed or something like that, but they've been pretty few and far between and the relapses definitely have not been nearly as severe as the original illness.

I know it's tough, but you really have to force yourself to just lie down and rest. I had the same feeling today that I should really be up and cleaning the house some since I basically feel fine. I got up and did some dishes and cleared some things off the kitchen table, but I know I should really be laying down and maximizing my rest.

No, haven't worked things out with the in-laws. I don't think about it much honestly and I don't think DH does either. I did ask him if we should invite them to the ceremony and he said no. I am letting him make that decision.
Sometimes that's best, as I unfortunately know! Good for you for not thinking about it too much. It's no use to stress about people you can't change. I didn't invite my dad, sister, or step mom to my wedding... my only stress about that was that they might find out and try to ruin it.

Totally understand what you mean! It's hard for me to remember because her first case of it was when I was in high school. I feel like she was really down and out for at least a month though. Back then I had to leave for school at 6:35 in the morning and I remember my dad drove me to school for a long time because she would sleep in much later, where normally she was always awake and driving me to school. Usually hers relapses when she's really stressed or something like that, but they've been pretty few and far between and the relapses definitely have not been nearly as severe as the original illness.

I know it's tough, but you really have to force yourself to just lie down and rest. I had the same feeling today that I should really be up and cleaning the house some since I basically feel fine. I got up and did some dishes and cleared some things off the kitchen table, but I know I should really be laying down and maximizing my rest.

I do try to rest. I didn't clean any windows; I could hardly sit up in a chair at my computer. So I took a nap and set my alarm for 1 hour so I don't sleep half the day away. When I had the flu, I did sleep all day but it really only lasted about a week. I've been battling this mono fatigue since early Dec so it's really getting old and I just miss my old self.
They say it's a lot harder on your body if you first get it when you're older, similar to chicken pox reaction. My sister's ex boyfriend got CP when he was in his 40s and omg he was so sick with it. I'm going to try to get to bed earlier than usual so I don't start napping every day. Dh gets up at 4:30am for work so I'd feel bad to make ds17 have to get up extra early with him.

What ever happens, we'll find a way to get through it! Hope you feel better soon! :grouphug:

Ugh! That tightness in my chest is my driving force right now. I hate it, but it’s also given me the clarity to see the benefit knocking this debt OUT. I am sure we will have hiccups along the way which is why I love to have this group for support and accountability.

This board is by far my favorite for the very reasons you mentioned- it’s okay to be super intense about debt payoff and it’s okay to make a conscious decision to loosen things up for a specific reason or event. Definitely grateful for this knowledgeable and friendly group!

:goodvibes:goodvibes:thumbsup2
:grouphug:
:disrocks:

Just had Home Depot over about putting more insulation in our attic. The upstairs is always hot in the summer and cold in the winter, so I think better insulation should help. And I want to get this done since we are now working on converting my sewing room into DD's nursery. She is getting big and will soon have to transition out of the bassinet. I got a quote from another place that wanted $1300. Home Depot said $1000 and they are actually going to do more because that quote included replacing the crappy cardboard baffles with nicer plastic ones for better air circulation. We can also get a $125 rebate through our energy company. And they have availability for next week.

DD had her physical therapy evaluation today. It was with the same therapist she saw before about her eating issues. She said that though Asha does have muscle tightness, it was what she called, "the higher end of the normal range." She said that she doesn't think we should worry about a larger problem and that with some regular work at home on different exercises, she should be much improved. And she also wrote me a note to give to the daycare to ensure that they are giving DD enough tummy time each day to help her strengthen her core and shoulder muscles. I feel much better now and have a concrete plan to move forward with. I always work better with a plan.

I mailed off the retainer check for the architect today and will be setting up an appointment to have her take measurements for our basement floor plans. I am pretty excited to get started on the basement. We also have a few other home projects that we plan on doing as well. I want to have a storm door installed on the front of the house. We want to do a tile backsplash in the kitchen, though I will probably wait on that because we would do the same backsplash in the basement wet bar. And we want to have an attic ladder added to the garage and putting down some flooring so that we can have some storage above the garage.

And finally, we have DD's hebrew baby naming set up for March. My parents will be coming to visit for the weekend and we plan to spend Saturday at the Henry Ford Museum. They have a Science of Pixar exhibit that I have been wanting to see before it leaves in mid-March, so I am really excited for it.

This is all great news! Esp great to hear things going well for your dd and it's not something huge going on. We love house projects. It's always frustrating while the work is going on but so nice when it's done!
Well, the dealership screwed around long enough with getting the title to the car I was trying to buy, that it still isn't in and now we're renting a car to go on our trip tomorrow. We wasted a full day of vacation time because "it should be here tomorrow". I'm beyond irritated and about to tell them to shove their car where sun don't shine and I'll to elsewhere.

Watch, I'll get a call from them tomorrow about halfway through Missouri saying it's in and do I want to come by and finalize everything. :furious:

That stinks but hope you have a great vacation and don't let the car stuff weigh too much on your mind. How does a dealership not have a title? That's kind of scary. You would think they'd be pretty organized with that kind of thing.

Oh and when we had the guy from home depot over last night, something happened that I found pretty funny. When DD started rubbing her eyes (her tell tale sign of being ready for bed), DH took her to her bassinet and put her to sleep. She settled right down, without as much as a peep, which is pretty typical for her. The guy was like, wait, is she asleep now? Just like that? No crying, no fuss? He was in total shock. :rotfl2:

THAT is great! My kids were never that way but my mom loves to tell the stories of how she could roll the bassinet over to vacuum and push it back and we'd never wake up. Fast fwd. I can sleep through our smoke alarm. :scared1: I did have Mommy Ears for a short time when our kids were little. A single cough could wake me up. By the time the little one hit 10, that ended.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter