delivery Fee Question

Not sure if this has been reported anywhere else but I was never charged this fee after 4/1. We checked into Poly on 4/10 with grocery delivery arriving before we got to the resort due to flight delays.

I believe this is to start in May. I will need to confirm the date again.

This tipping industry wide is getting out of hand. At Southwest, we were too early to check bags in inside the terminal. BUT, we could check them in outside. The employee would not give us our baggage tickets and boarding passes until we tipped him. Literally held on to the tickets waiting.

We pay enough in dues. When I use Magical Express, I never know when they will deliver our bags. Don’t tip if we are not there. We should be able to use the carts. It’s all just a money grab game.

Just remember that Skycaps are not airline employees. This is not a reflection of Southwest. :)

I wouldn’t expect them to give us a cart (liability, missing cart, etc.). I DO expect them to give me my groceries without arguing with me.

When I use BS I always tip generously (probably b/c I only have 20$, 50$ & 100$s). I will not tip AND pay Disney this ridiculous fee when we are already charged for BS via MF.

They’re making this up as they go along. & I know it’s only 6$ (for now), but it’s like death by a thousand paper cuts.

BS can either give me my stuff and take a tip for fetching it for me, or refuse, not be tipped & deal with a lead or manager. This is my hill.

Disney is trying to do away with the "middle man". They see how many more people are ordering groceries these days and they are trying to capitalize on it. (they already offer groceries) When a person can get 35 waters for $10 from a grocery delivery, that is $105 in revenue Disney does not get and honestly about $100 in profit. When they announced this fee, they also told the delivery services that they can no longer use the carts that belong to Disney. That is very telling when it has not been an issue for how many years?

Garden Grocer pays a fee to Disney; there is a contract in place. The others do not. At one point Garden Grocer is all there was. Now there are many more options. There are many options, but not all the same. There are some things I could tell you about some of these delivery services that would make you question how they are still in business. My personal preference is Dizzy Dolphin. Best ever!

Disney is trying to do away with the "middle man". They see how many more people are ordering groceries these days and they are trying to capitalize on it. (they already offer groceries) When a person can get 35 waters for $10 from a grocery delivery, that is $105 in revenue Disney does not get and honestly about $100 in profit. When they announced this fee, they also told the delivery services that they can no longer use the carts that belong to Disney. That is very telling when it has not been an issue for how many years?

Garden Grocer pays a fee to Disney; there is a contract in place. The others do not. At one point Garden Grocer is all there was. Now there are many more options. There are many options, but not all the same. There are some things I could tell you about some of these delivery services that would make you question how they are still in business. My personal preference is Dizzy Dolphin. Best ever!
And it's their perogative to do that with CRO rooms, not DVC. We are already paying for BS, and unless they can show us that there are employees not paid at all via MF that are now responsible for only grocery deliveries, or that our MF are being reduced, I'm calling bull.

I believe this is to start in May. I will need to confirm the date again.
No it has already started. We stayed at BLT and incurred the fee on 4/17. They gave me the option to pick up my groceries but with a case of water and several bags of groceries I opted to have them delivered

For those who have pointed out that Bell Services is already being paid for by member dues/ fees, I am wondering how the grocery delivery fee is different from the fee for additional housekeeping services? On another thread, additional towels and housekeeping fees are being discussed and many have pointed out that those fees are charged so that only those who choose to have additional towels or additional housekeeping services are charged. It seems to me that this is the same idea, or am I missing something?

For those who have pointed out that Bell Services is already being paid for by member dues/ fees, I am wondering how the grocery delivery fee is different from the fee for additional housekeeping services? On another thread, additional towels and housekeeping fees are being discussed and many have pointed out that those fees are charged so that only those who choose to have additional towels or additional housekeeping services are charged. It seems to me that this is the same idea, or am I missing something?
For me it’s segregation. It’s very simple to segregate the costs for housekeeping, etc. however very difficult for Bell Services. For instance if the Bell Hop is bring your luggage (included) and groceries ($6 fee) where does the $6 go. The Bell Hop because delivering the luggage is being paid by the MF but now Disney is also collecting the $6 fee.... Considering that Bell Services is much more blended of an operation than housekeeping or purchasing items I see this being difficult. Also Disney isn’t coming out and saying these changes are to lower your MF (which they absolutely should if it is as you present because now there is a profit that should offset the cost) in fact Disney is being dodgy when asked that question. So if the dues don’t decrease for Bell Services and one finds that acceptable they have to subscribe to the idea that Disney was always covering the grocery delivery cost, I’d find that unlikely.

So my problem is a lack of how this fee is to benefit members when we have been always covering DVC’s share of Bell Services which presumably included groceries.

Last edited:
For me it’s segregation. It’s very simple to segregate the costs for housekeeping, etc. however very difficult for Bell Services. For instance if the Bell Hop is bring your luggage (included) and groceries ($6 fee) where does the $6 go. The Bell Hop because delivering the luggage is being paid by the MF but now Disney is also collecting the $6 fee.... Considering that Bell Services is much more blended of an operation than housekeeping or purchasing items I see this being difficult. Also Disney isn’t coming out and saying these changes are to lower your MF (which they absolutely should if it is as you present because now there is a profit that should offset the cost) in fact Disney is being dodgy when asked that question. So if the dues don’t decrease for Bell Services and one finds that acceptable they have to subscribe to the idea that Disney was always covering the grocery delivery cost, I’d find that unlikely.

Good points. My question is genuinely an attempt at understanding the difference between the two and that did help clarify how they're different.

On the surface it seems like it's "pay-to-play" like additional services for housekeeping/ towels but I do see where that's not entirely the case. Am I correct in my understanding that the additional costs for more towels/ housekeeping is designed to offset the overall housekeeping services cost? If so, then this clarifies for me why the $6 isn't really in the same category (as no one thus far has indicated that the line item for Bell Services costs are decreasing, or that Disney was always absorbing these fees on their own side even for DVC members).

One difference is Bell Services is considered a tipped position, housekeeping (officially) is not according to Disney. This is kind of like Disney adding a specific "table service fee" to restaurant checks for your server to deliver your meal to your table, and then expecting a tip, too.

That said, if you pre-order groceries directly from the resort store, Disney adds a $10 service fee per order...so there are two ways to look at the Bell Services fee.

One difference is Bell Services is considered a tipped position, housekeeping (officially) is not according to Disney. This is kind of like Disney adding a specific "table service fee" to restaurant checks for your server to deliver your meal to your table, and then expecting a tip, too.

That said, if you pre-order groceries directly from the resort store, Disney adds a $10 service fee per order...so there are two ways to look at the Bell Services fee.
The $10 service fee I looked at differently and took that to go towards the actual prepping/shopping portion not delivery part. Similar to how you pay for the fee to say instacart. Also I believe the resort store handles those orders not bell services too.

Good points. My question is genuinely an attempt at understanding the difference between the two and that did help clarify how they're different.

On the surface it seems like it's "pay-to-play" like additional services for housekeeping/ towels but I do see where that's not entirely the case. Am I correct in my understanding that the additional costs for more towels/ housekeeping is designed to offset the overall housekeeping services cost? If so, then this clarifies for me why the $6 isn't really in the same category (as no one thus far has indicated that the line item for Bell Services costs are decreasing, or that Disney was always absorbing these fees on their own side even for DVC members).
I definitely get where you are coming from and it is where I started on the issue. Though my concern really started when they said the fee would be going to the resort and not to offset the dues. Perhaps it was messaging on their part but that seemed odd and concerning to me. If all fees collected on DVC rooms (they actually do this for parking fees right now) directly go to offsetting DVC Bell Service charges then the fee does exactly as you suggest and I understand the fee.

I definitely get where you are coming from and it is where I started on the issue. Though my concern really started when they said the fee would be going to the resort and not to offset the dues. Perhaps it was messaging on their part but that seemed odd and concerning to me. If all fees collected on DVC rooms (they actually do this for parking fees right now) directly go to offsetting DVC Bell Service charges then the fee does exactly as you suggest and I understand the fee.

It makes total sense. I'm currently in the camp of "I don't necessarily mind the fee, regardless of offset but I'm irked that Disney is keeping $5 and the CM is getting $1 and that CM's tips may suffer as a result" but it will be interesting to see what, if anything, this fee does in terms of member dues. I have my doubts that anyone will see a decrease as a result of this, but hope springs eternal!

I think that everyone is just concerned that it isn’t pay to play and offsetting the dues since Disney won’t officially confirm that. I think if they confirmed the new charge would be collected and used to offset bell service costs at DVC resorts (thereby reducing or preventing raises to Dues) then members would be more understanding. I don’t think $6 is an unreasonable amount to pay for grocery delivery to the room. However if the $6 fee results in bell services collecting $10,000 from DVC stays then I expect that $ should offset the cost of bell services charged to our yearly dues.
The towel/coffee situation as far as I know has always been pay for additional so it would appear that the additional costs weren’t being absorbed by the membership. Grocery delivery was previously covered by our bell services costs so we all just want to make sure we aren’t getting charged twice. It’s like the parking situation. We all pay to maintain the property including the parking lots so that’s why they can’t charge us to park there but they can institute a parking fee for cash guests.

The $10 service fee I looked at differently and took that to go towards the actual prepping/shopping portion not delivery part. Similar to how you pay for the fee to say instacart. Also I believe the resort store handles those orders not bell services too.
Correct. When buying groceries from Disney itself and having them delivered, that is not Bell Services at all, but rather Disney's shopping service. They shop from their supplies, deliver AND put away the groceries. You do not need to be in the room and no tipping is involved unless you run into them and want to tip. The bellhops do not deliver these.

That's not from Disney's website, is it?
No, that's what I derived from a call with member services at lunch today.

My reason for calling was I had it with all the different numbers being tossed around and mis-information regarding services (and it's not just this thread). I was going to just keep it for my own use, but sharing is always good. (Let me know if I have anything wrong, and I will zap that and change it. Disney's pages themselves support what I was told and have down.)

Remember, this is just a glimpse at the fees per what they have on file as of today. I'm sure there are more details than what I was offered in a quick 10 minute discussion. Those fees, can of course change at any point in time.

Last edited:
No it has already started. We stayed at BLT and incurred the fee on 4/17. They gave me the option to pick up my groceries but with a case of water and several bags of groceries I opted to have them delivered

How much did they charge?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter