Destash 2020 Time to Putter with Clutter

I'm in, but I think I'll make monthly goals if nobody minds.

January -
Sell the kids' outgrown clothes that have been sitting in the office now for 4 months (this is a huge goal)
Organize (and possibly sell) planner supplies

Quoting myself for an update since DD and I are taking our surprise trip this Thursday to WDW, and it will be February before we return :)

-Made an awesome dent in the kids' clothes. Sold about $315 in clothes, which is pretty great for January (fewer people are spending).
-Cleaned out DD's closet, DH hung shelves, took 3 totes of clothes out to the garage (saving for DD #2).
-Working on planner supplies today since I had forgotten that goal
-Returned items that the kids didn't LOVE and/or hadn't even opened. Did not spend the money on new stuff (except for Target, but those were planned).

Big win for the month----I organized my gift cards in a new wallet. (Here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZHIXVN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
I used gift cards that I already had for most of my montly spending and really kept my other spending to a minimum. That's a big win for me. :)

Here's to February, everyone! :) Cheers!

I did some cleaning out this week. I donated 36 items to goodwill, sold 1 more item on ebay and my husband went through his tshirt drawer and gave me 2 bleach stained tshirts to get rid of. So I put them in the rag bin. I'm going to count them as gone. And I used up a full piece of material making my sewing machine cover today so I'm counting that as a gone item too since it's sewn and on my sewing machine protecting it.

So new total- 155/500

I'm feeling like I'm getting things accomplished.

Did our walk through the basement yesterday. Recycling a couple more boxes and throwing away our Wii RockBand instruments/drum set.

Not much this week, but the garbage can is only half full, so I'm going to do another walk through today and see if there is anything else I find.

Emptied a few more things out of the last third of our building. It looks like the cool weather is going to hold through next weekend so hopefully I can get it finished up and we can start tearing it down.

Nothing exciting in this haul ( I keep hoping I'll find some priceless antique in some of this guys junk to make having to clean it all up worthwhile).
1 dryer tub
1 croquet set
1 tiki torch
a whole bunch of empty paint cans - if anyone remember me posting about redoing my kids bathroom last year - I found the original green and yellow paint. I did NOT save it.
a whole bunch of empty pool chemical containers
a whole bunch of unopened yard fertilizer
a shop vac converted to a pond filter (at least I think that's what he was trying to do with it)
enough seedling pots to open a nursery
misc lawnmower blades and yard tools too rusty to do anything with
1 kids bike

The trash pickers are having a field day with our stuff - I always make a habit of putting anything metal or that has wiring out separately in hopes that they won't dig through all of it and make a mess. So far anything of value has been gone within 24 hours of being put out.

DH finally gave me 3 items to get rid of. So far he has gotten rid of 4 things. It sure is a slow process with him. LOL On a positive note the items netted us $8 to add to our RV fund.

44/100

Our library has a bin for old eyeglasses that are donated to the Lions Club I believe. You can probably look online to find a donation location in your area too!

This!!! My Dad is very involved in Lions Club and the glasses donated to them really do go to people in need. The Lions are widespread across the country. You can definitely look them up online.

Purple Heart Veterans just picked up a whole bunch of things I set out - several boxes and bags of all kinds of stuff!

Of course the boys and I pulled a few things back to hold on to for just a little longer (sigh).

I also pulled the nicest of the toys out. I'm going to go through my already tagged things for the rummage sale (that I'm not participating in this year) and take all the nicer toys to the fire station to donate for Toys 4 Tots. They collect new and used toys year-round. :santa:

Stumbled across this thread while procrastinating last night. :) I just happened to start purging my kitchen of unused stuff 2 days ago, so the timing is perfect! I'm in for an ambitious 2020 items as well. Most of our stuff isn't that bad, but between my craft room and the garage I know I can put up some big numbers! We have a large family so stuff seems to multiply quickly, and I'm tired of my options being pick it up (again and again) or look at the clutter. Out it goes!!! I won't count the stuff I've already thrown away in the past 2 days, but I will count the growing Goodwill pile on my dining table and update later.

So far... 0/2020

Trashed 1 old pair of ripped pj pants and 3 broken valentines decorations
Sold backpack and 6 swim jammers and 2 caps

73/1000

To hit my goal, I need to average 83-84 items each month. Going to work on finding 10 more things before Feb. 1!

Off to a good start!

Trashed:
5 pairs of shoes
3 old sheets
38 random unmatched Tupperware pieces
12 kid plastic restaurant cups

In the donate pile:
4 pairs of shoes
19 misc. kitchen doo dads
3 kids placemats
3 kids divided plates
4 framed prints
3 Halloween costumes
5 books
3 small storage bins
1 duplicate toy

Cleaned out the kids' shoe cabinet and almost done with the kitchen!

So far... 103/2020

Off to a good start!

Trashed:
5 pairs of shoes
3 old sheets
38 random unmatched Tupperware pieces
12 kid plastic restaurant cups

In the donate pile:
4 pairs of shoes
19 misc. kitchen doo dads
3 kids placemats
3 kids divided plates
4 framed prints
3 Halloween costumes
5 books
3 small storage bins
1 duplicate toy

Cleaned out the kids' shoe cabinet and almost done with the kitchen!

So far... 103/2020
Great job! For me, every little piece that goes out helps me feel better and more in control of our space. I'm going to go through my clothes today and see if there is anything I can donate. We don't have a whole lot of clothes to start with, but I do have clothes just taking up space that I don't wear, so they could be weeded out. Some I haven't worn in a couple years and those can definitely get donated!

I dropped off 1 box and 1 laundry bin full of stuff at Goodwill, which included items that had been cleaned out from the kitchen cupboards and the linen closet. Also dropped off a bag of food for donation of items that we really aren't going to eat. I tried to drop off 2 bags of expired lotions and meds at Walgreens but the bin was full! I will try again tomorrow

Joining in! We’re in our 60’s, both kids have been gone for over 12 years. But there are still lots of clothes, books & toys from them hanging around. My mom is 87 & a hoarder. The more I think of what a nightmare it is going to be to clean out her house, the more it makes me want to get my house cleaned out. I don’t want my kids to have to spend months clearing our house. We did some major remodeling in our family room last year, so that room got a good purging then. I was diligent about what went back in. So that room is good & still well organized.

So about 2 months ago I started making small steps. I started with the pile of old bills I had been meaning to shred. Then I worked on paystubs from around 2009 & earlier that my DH still had saved. I just worked on it for an hour a day. Had about 3 large trash bags over the course of a few weeks. I still have more things to go thru, but at least I can close all the drawers & lids on our file cabinets now.

Started working on basement shelves & one of the closets in the kids old rooms. From the basement, ended up with a large bag in the trash of old toys & knick knacks. A huge box of board games went to goodwill. The bedroom closet was cleared of a large box of paperback & old college textbooks. The box was broken down for recycling too. Some went to the trash, some to recycling & a few to goodwill. First time I have seen the carpet in that closet in years! Also took 2 bags of clothes to goodwill from DH & my closets.

Between work & other commitments, I only have a few hours a week to work on this. I’m happy with what I have done so far. I’m not counting items like some of you are, but seeing the little improvements is keeping me motivated. Now if I could just stay off the Dis, I could get more done! :rotfl2:

Logging my items from January, goal of 250 things gone.

Gave Away
10 boxes of Nascar trading cards
Book
Camera Lens
Xbox Dance Mat

Recycled/Tossed
Bowl
9 Misc Tolietries
2 Books
Glass
Can Koozie
18 Cables
8 Boxes
Dart Board
1 Bag Misc Junk from Basement
Gym Shoes
Work Boots
4 Socks
Suitcase
Dehumidifier
TV

Sold
Stereo Receiver
Coffee Pot
Telescope

67 items left the house. 183 to go.

Took a few games and books to our library to donate for the Friends of the Library book sale. (A few of them were actually purchased from there long ago. The prices are so reasonable, it's hard to pass up on getting books and games there, always meaning to treat it as a rental and donate them back there later, but then it's hard for me to let them go and give them back!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter