Destash 2020 Time to Putter with Clutter

Y'all just inspired me to empty the top half of my lazy-susan; throw out everything expired and clean the shelving. Off to the bottom half now. I didn't count the items but definitely in the 2 dozen+ range.

So I made a massive amount of progress in January. The amount of stuff I have gotten rid of and will get rid of this year is too massive in amount to put in a list. I'm almost certain it will surpass 1000 items (could be even 2000 items). I'm not even moving anywhere, I'm just looking to change my life drastically...move forward and have less stuff to deal with so I can do some renovations to my house.

Came to the realization that I keep a lot of boxes for the things I own when they're pretty worthless. It's a bad habit of mine.

I did make a few mistakes on stuff I threw away too hastily. One of which was a cast member bolo lanyard (I thought this was cheap junk and didn't know people collected these). I like to think that some of my stuff has collectible value. However, I don't have the time, knowledge, or energy necessary to be a part time Ebay-er and wait another 10 years for these items to may or may not sell to get a few measly bucks out of it. I'd rather be rid of the stuff now and take what I can get for it.

Today I went to trading store called The Exchange and sold a large collection of video game consoles/games/DvDs/ and other items for a whopping $355! I didn't think I would get anywhere near $100 for what I had. The store credit value would have surpassed $500 but there's no way I'm going to be spending that much on DVDs and games ever again. Glad I went there instead of Disc Replay.

I still have a long ways to go on purging things.

My DH took a bunch of things to the local thrift store. He purged our linen closet and got rid of a ton of twin sized sheets. Our DD is in college in her own apartment and they were from her childhood bed that we tossed (it broke) many years ago. I'll say he got rid of about 25 items because he didn't count.

58/520

Not much progress this weekend. I sold a large bookcase but ended up buying an equally large cabinet at the Restore for $15 so net zero actually leaving the house. BUT, I'm going to put DH's uniform shirts and hats for his company in there so that will clean up some clutter that I can't actually get rid of.

-DH packed up another bag of worn out clothes (50)
-I went through the pile of shoes sitting at the doorway that we've gotten into the habit of just walking right by, threw out 6 (!!) pairs of shoes
-A girl who attends the same group fitness class I do is a teacher and back in December we got chatting about in-laws gifting items we had no use for. Brought for her this past week a package of wooden letters from the dollar store I received last year (MIL said I was so creative, she thought I could find a use for them……). She let me know that they are always looking for more arts & craft supplies, I am going to sort through my stash and take her a bag of goodies soon
-Taking to my best gal pal 2 bags of protein powder, tried the one flavour and did not enjoy, second bag was part of a bundle set and I wasn't interested in the flavour combo either. When I was packing them up this morning I also added into the bag 3 bath products I had sitting under the bathroom sink. Had used them a couple times but I couldn't tell you the last time I wanted/had time/actually took a bath and I know she loves them so someone might as well use these goodies.

previous total 50/400
updated total 112/400

A few more items left this week

1 book - donated
1 Notepad - used up
11 used tri-fold boards - recycled for a project at school

114 items of 500 decluttered or 22./% of goal

3 more items left the house-1 old towel, 1 old pair of jeans that were no longer fit to be worn by a human loland 1 stuffed tiger going to charity shop asap before the 13 year old changers their mind and decides it's their very special , most cherished toy ever! It isn't, believe me it's from goodness knows where and has been buried under a heap of toys and quite possibly not seen daylight in about 10 years :rotfl:
109/500

We ended up throwing out my luggage set from my high school graduation in 1993. Why I still had it, I have no idea. Both pieces were ripped out and it doesn't have any wheels. Sentimentality, I guess. My grandparents gave me the set and they've both been gone for over 15 years. Same with hanging onto the comforter my grandparents got us as a wedding gift. It is ripped and can't be repaired, but it's been sitting in the basement for about 10 years. I finally threw it out yesterday.

We got rid of a few other odds and ends, too.

Home office declutter complete! An entire carload of miscellaneous items to the donation place. Grumpy guy there almost didn't let me donate my newer floormat (the kind for under a chair), but I let him feel the heavy quality and he grumbled all the way to the back of the store. Seriously, he could cosplay Grumpy dwarf, except he was around 6' tall.

-Brought another bag with me to my group fitness class full of random craft supplies (50 items, packs of beads, molding clay, coloured paper, ribbon, etc)
- Also brought a duffel bag for another girl in the class, I am such a bag lady and it was a gift with purchase that I've never used
- Taking with me to work tomorrow 8 aprons, my Mom had picked them up a few years ago thinking we may need them for a pre wedding event and they never ended up getting used. Work is adding a smoothie bar into the building and could actually put them to use

Previous Total 112/400
Updated Total 171/400

This is a sort of gross story, and people knock on wood, so they don't get the stomache flu.
I replaced my bathroom carpet in front of the toilet to a nice cushion bathroom carpet. The schools around me are getting shut down for 3-4 days at a time, since the norovirus is spreading like wild fire. I had the stomache flu a few times and I always promised myself to get a softer carpet in my bathroom. 3 people in my immediate family, 2 baby girls and my DIL both got it this past week. Yesterday, I had a meeting with Secretaries in my District and she came and said, "Just to let you know, I still don't feel good," I had the stomache flu 2 days ago. Sigh.

My son in law finally took all their ammunition home. 2 crates full.--over 50 boxes.
My daughter and son in law, claimed they left their hand weights at my house, I was using them, so the 2- 3lbs, 5 lbs and 10 lbs are gone.

2 recycled boxes

140/2020

Just got the bedroom closet that we haven't cleaned since we moved in! Removed two boxes of DVDs, a bunch of clothes that don't fit us. At least sixty items going out to Goodwill and at least forty that weren't suitable to donate that hit the trash! Next step is the storage drawers in there, then the old frames I used for my art school presentation. They've sat empty long enough, some current art student could use them.

The real challenge is that hubs has a storage trunk in there, splintered and cracked. When I ask what's in it he just shrugs and says 'old stuff'. Great. That's gotta be a two part plan. Buy a replacement piece of furniture for the end of the bed, and get him to sort the contents of the trunk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter