Disappointed in ABD...Period :(

While I agree that they seem to have been able to fill Japan quite easily, they don't hit it out of the park every time. Remember the WDW trips that they scheduled like 30 of and then cancelled all of them? They surely lost money on that effort. They just cancelled Montana and DC/Philly trips this summer, and those are only the ones we know about here because someone posted about it. They usually end up discounting the Danube trips in the spring, so those aren't exactly selling out either.

If you look at Disney the company, the stock is underperforming the S&P 500 (down 5% vs. flat for the S&P), and the Parks/Cruise/ABD division is making money that offsets what TV/ESPN is losing. They are milking the profitable businesses for what they are worth, but I think that if they laid off the dynamic pricing and added in additional Japan itineraries as the trips filled up, they'd probably make more money off their investment in designing the trip.

But whatever, it's their business, they can run it the way they want. They won't have a motivation to change it until it hits their bottom line. I have the choice of not purchasing the product if I don't see the "value".

While I agree that they seem to have been able to fill Japan quite easily, they don't hit it out of the park every time. Remember the WDW trips that they scheduled like 30 of and then cancelled all of them? They surely lost money on that effort. They just cancelled Montana and DC/Philly trips this summer, and those are only the ones we know about here because someone posted about it. They usually end up discounting the Danube trips in the spring, so those aren't exactly selling out either.

If you look at Disney the company, the stock is underperforming the S&P 500 (down 5% vs. flat for the S&P), and the Parks/Cruise/ABD division is making money that offsets what TV/ESPN is losing. They are milking the profitable businesses for what they are worth, but I think that if they laid off the dynamic pricing and added in additional Japan itineraries as the trips filled up, they'd probably make more money off their investment in designing the trip.

But whatever, it's their business, they can run it the way they want. They won't have a motivation to change it until it hits their bottom line. I have the choice of not purchasing the product if I don't see the "value".
Agreed! How many premium travel companies have to put the screws to their tours because their cable sports network is hitting the skids? Maybe the success of Black Panther and Infinity War will reverse this trend. Ha! Ha! (I crack myself up.)

From our standpoint, we are less concerned with a loyalty program, and more interested in a premium product from beginning to end. Including the booking process. Someone made a comment this week that the opening day booking is like the Black Friday rush, and that's spot on. I don't want to go through that to book a vacation. I was relieved we had already decided not to book something on opening day.

I wrote above including booking, but truly it starts well before that. I've been talking to Thomson, A&K, and Nat Geo about trips next summer, and everyone has been incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. Thomson in particular has been fabulous (if only they took credit cards!). My experience with ABD re: communications about Iceland has not been nearly as good. Perfectly fine, but I have to call, wait, ask my question, get a call back a day later with an answer, etc. Or, I email, wait a day or 2, then get an answer that partially answers my question. It's a bit of a drag. That said, I am sure our trip will be outstanding.

I wrote above including booking, but truly it starts well before that. I've been talking to Thomson, A&K, and Nat Geo about trips next summer, and everyone has been incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. Thomson in particular has been fabulous (if only they took credit cards!). My experience with ABD re: communications about Iceland has not been nearly as good. Perfectly fine, but I have to call, wait, ask my question, get a call back a day later with an answer, etc. Or, I email, wait a day or 2, then get an answer that partially answers my question. It's a bit of a drag. That said, I am sure our trip will be outstanding.

Hopefully you have communicated your concern about the credit card issue to Thomson. I’ve told them many times person to person, via surveys, requests for feedback, etc. If they start hearing it from multiple potential travelers and frequently, I’m hopeful they might change their policy. In the meantime, my plan is to pay via Plastiq with my Chase Ink Prefered credit card to earn 3x Ultimate Rewards points and “buy” points that are worth more than Plastiq’s 2.5% fee.

Hmmm, this is extremely disappointing. We had booked an ABD Rhine river cruise for this summer, but decided to hold off in favour of something else next year. I see nothing on our "Placeholder Confirmation" email that would indicate we are not eligible for promotions, but I guess if they don't consider it a new booking we will be out of luck - and paying $2000 more for the Norway ABD we are looking at. Hoping I get a different answer when I call.

Yes we tried to do the same thing this year but apparently it always has the fine print of only applying to new bookings. A placeholder doesn’t count as a new booking

We have travelled with ABD, Tauck Bridges and Abercrombie and Kent family and I will say that each agency has their pros and cons. I will absolutely agree that the cancellation policy and the booking process as well as follow up communication with ABD is completely subpar as compared with the other two providers. I really hope they get it together.

We have travelled with ABD, Tauck Bridges and Abercrombie and Kent family and I will say that each agency has their pros and cons. I will absolutely agree that the cancellation policy and the booking process as well as follow up communication with ABD is completely subpar as compared with the other two providers. I really hope they get it together.
@AllisonGsav, By any chance would you be willing to share your thoughts on A&K, either here or on the "other options" thread? We are looking at them for next summer but there so hard to find reviews of their family trips.

I agree all companies will have pros and cons. For better or for worse, Disney is the only one with such a robust forum. I sometimes wonder if the other tour companies read this as Disney apparently does.

I have friends that received the Adventures Insider e-mail announcing the early booking window, but I didn't. Some other friends who traveled with me to Peru didn't receive the "Coco" movie tickets, but I did. I had the same experience of not receiving Adventure Insider e-mails. They also told me that I might have "opted out" at some point. They suggested that I go to the "Contact Us" part of the ABD website and request to be re-added to "The Walt Disney family of companies marketing e-mails and promotional mailings." They were sort of specific about the wording I should use. It was odd that they couldn't do that on my verbal request, but suggested that I do it in writing. I'm hopeful that will fix things for future mailings.
Trying this and hoping it works. Thanks!

For the person asking, we did the Tauck Bridges Costa Rica Jungles and Rainforests tour last summer and it was amazing. It is a lot of travel, but we were able to see/do so much. Our tour guide was great and we met some nice families. We are looking to do another Tauck Bridges tour next summer. I loved that tips were fully included and there's no increase in price depending on when you book. You also get to leave your luggage in your hotel room when moving on & they pick it up from your room as you leave the hotel. Because we are repeat costumers, we will use the "Gift of Time" discount to get our pre tour night paid. This summer, they also offered 50% off kids roundtrip Europe airfare as well. I am hoping that is offered again next summer.

I am the original poster to this thread and wish ABD would read it. Their insanity of not allowing me to use 600 placeholder fee has cost them 19000 trip. I am for sure looking elsewhere. Checked Tauck... Anyone else have good recommendation for England? Meaning who to travel with? thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter