Disney cancels many summer Galactic Starcruiser voyages

They had to make Batuu a generic SW land so they could do whatever they wanted with it and not be constrained by canon. There really isn't any similar land they could have done instead. Mos Eisley is located on a desert planet that couldn't be replicated in Florida so they couldn't use that.

I think they should have used a Naboo environment, that at least had attractive architecture. But then people would want to know why they didn't have Gungans walking around.

Oh, it's hot. What it ain't is barren of trees and foliage. They'd have to take out all the trees and plants if they wanted it to look like a spaceport on a desert planet. And cover ever square inch og ground with sand.

Plus, as I've said elsewhere, Mos Eisley was a notorious dump. Not a nice place at all, filthy and dangerous. Hardly a tourist attraction where you'd want to spend any time.

They had to make Batuu a generic SW land so they could do whatever they wanted with it and not be constrained by canon. There really isn't any similar land they could have done instead. Mos Eisley is located on a desert planet that couldn't be replicated in Florida so they couldn't use that.

I think they should have used a Naboo environment, that at least had attractive architecture. But then people would want to know why they didn't have Gungans walking around.

They just didn’t want to pay royalties to George Lucas. That’s why everything looks like a cheap knockoff of the real New Hope Star Wars.

They just didn’t want to pay royalties to George Lucas. That’s why everything looks like a cheap knockoff of the real New Hope Star Wars.

I do not believe that is accurate. Lucas does not receive royalties for Star Wars anymore, however in the sale he was paid with a hefty share of Disney Stock, meaning he has actually earned more than the sale price. I don't think Disney pays him any extra to use pre-sale characters and stories. He may still earn some residuals as credited writer, etc. Then agian, I am not sure Lucas is a member of any of the guilds etc. as he tended to eschew all of that stuff.

I do not believe that is accurate. Lucas does not receive royalties for Star Wars anymore, however in the sale he was paid with a hefty share of Disney Stock, meaning he has actually earned more than the sale price. I don't think Disney pays him any extra to use pre-sale characters and stories. He may still earn some residuals as credited writer, etc. Then agian, I am not sure Lucas is a member of any of the guilds etc. as he tended to eschew all of that stuff.
Yeah his $4Billion payout and 37 million plus shares he holds was the last bit of money he got related to Star Wars.

Disney Corporation overvalued this from the beginning and due to that over valuation they over priced it. This was doomed from the beginning. The consumer demand and their willingness or ability to pay the price the experience is valued at is extremely unrealistic. Mind you, I am a very big star wars nerd. I would not even consider doing this experience unless it were priced at around $3,000 for a family of four. As I write that, it still seems like a price I may not pay.

I also agree with others. I think Galaxy's edge would have done better if it were just made as a Star Wars land, that included all of the characters from across the franchise. It doesn't need to have a running narrative. It could just be a Star Wars themed land with SW rides, characters and experiences. The overall satisfaction of guests of all ages would be enhanced by having Vader, Luke, Han, Leia, Maul, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Fett, Mando, Rey, Poe, Kylo and FIn. I can do without Vi Moradi

Disney Corporation overvalued this from the beginning and due to that over valuation they over priced it. This was doomed from the beginning. The consumer demand and their willingness or ability to pay the price the experience is valued at is extremely unrealistic. Mind you, I am a very big star wars nerd. I would not even consider doing this experience unless it were priced at around $3,000 for a family of four. As I write that, it still seems like a price I may not pay.

I also agree with others. I think Galaxy's edge would have done better if it were just made as a Star Wars land, that included all of the characters from across the franchise. It doesn't need to have a running narrative. It could just be a Star Wars themed land with SW rides, characters and experiences. The overall satisfaction of guests of all ages would be enhanced by having Vader, Luke, Han, Leia, Maul, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Fett, Mando, Rey, Poe, Kylo and FIn. I can do without Vi Moradi

I agree on Star Wars Land, however I don't know that it would necessarily have "done better" more that I think that I would like it more. SWGE is obviously pretty popular despite any flaws. I jsut think it might be better if not tied to a storyline. It could use a no-height requirement ride.

I agree on Star Wars Land, however I don't know that it would necessarily have "done better" more that I think that I would like it more. SWGE is obviously pretty popular despite any flaws. I jsut think it might be better if not tied to a storyline. It could use a no-height requirement ride.
That was what I was trying to say. I think it would be doing even better if it were not tied to a story line. I get what WDW was trying to do in tying it to a story and making it immersive. I think they felt if we could take people who are so invested in SW and give them a story line they can feel like they are a part of than it would make an experience that would keep them coming back. In theory this would have been great, but it is extremely difficult to achieve. I have been many times since it opened and the cast members already have started to drop the immersive aspects like wishing bright suns and trying to keep all conversations like you are actually visiting another planet. Like I said this is an extremely ambitious idea and something really difficult to pull off.

I think by going with a broadly themed SW land that included the characters from all three trilogies plus the extended universe then you would bring in everyone. They could still do mini games and themed scavenger hunts and the like that occur in world showcase, in Epcot. I think this would have made GE even more successful than it is.

I was not implying that it was a failure by any means. I do however think the Galactic Star Cruiser will fail if there isn't a drastic reduction in price.

That was what I was trying to say. I think it would be doing even better if it were not tied to a story line. I get what WDW was trying to do in tying it to a story and making it immersive. I think they felt if we could take people who are so invested in SW and give them a story line they can feel like they are a part of than it would make an experience that would keep them coming back. In theory this would have been great, but it is extremely difficult to achieve. I have been many times since it opened and the cast members already have started to drop the immersive aspects like wishing bright suns and trying to keep all conversations like you are actually visiting another planet. Like I said this is an extremely ambitious idea and something really difficult to pull off.

I think by going with a broadly themed SW land that included the characters from all three trilogies plus the extended universe then you would bring in everyone. They could still do mini games and themed scavenger hunts and the like that occur in world showcase, in Epcot. I think this would have made GE even more successful than it is.

I was not implying that it was a failure by any means. I do however think the Galactic Star Cruiser will fail if there isn't a drastic reduction in price.

Well, I mean, a LOT of people are still being drawn to GE, and I think it does well selling merch. Lightsaber reservations are often sold out. That said, having a no-height requirement ride would keep the younger set more engaged.

Starcuriser is a different story. The pricing was indeed out of control. I hear that people who have actually done though thought it was excellent, but still. A regular Star Wars themed hotel would have been more sustainable.

Well, I mean, a LOT of people are still being drawn to GE, and I think it does well selling merch. Lightsaber reservations are often sold out. That said, having a no-height requirement ride would keep the younger set more engaged.

Starcuriser is a different story. The pricing was indeed out of control. I hear that people who have actually done though thought it was excellent, but still. A regular Star Wars themed hotel would have been more sustainable.
I agree that adding a no-height ride would provide benefits to SWGE. As would dropping the self imposed canon restrictions.

As far as Starcruiser, I think Disney learned a lot from the first year and the cruises during the week were not selling to the same level as ones that were over weekends. Now they’ve streamlined the trips to be Fri-Sun, Sun-Tues except during holidays in the fall. We’ll see what 2024 schedule looks like but I’d imagine it’ll be the same.

I agree that adding a no-height ride would provide benefits to SWGE. As would dropping the self imposed canon restrictions.

As far as Starcruiser, I think Disney learned a lot from the first year and the cruises during the week were not selling to the same level as ones that were over weekends. Now they’ve streamlined the trips to be Fri-Sun, Sun-Tues except during holidays in the fall. We’ll see what 2024 schedule looks like but I’d imagine it’ll be the same.

Yeah, and a reduced schedule does not mean the thing is not being profitable or successful. Downtime/low season is to be expected on something like that.

IMHO the biggest, well one of the biggest, mistakes they made was not creating separate and different Star Wars lands in FL & CA. Hell the two rides could have been the same, but different theming of the lands could have a big attraction alone. Though getting read of Kylo Ren would have been a huge improvement IMHO.

Honestly regardless of what they do with Batuu they will never make the... intense ... Star Wars fans happy. And I don't think they really wanted, they made a land were even non-fans could get the vibe and enjoy.

IMHO the biggest, well one of the biggest, mistakes they made was not creating separate and different Star Wars lands in FL & CA. Hell the two rides could have been the same, but different theming of the lands could have a big attraction alone. Though getting read of Kylo Ren would have been a huge improvement IMHO.
Yeah Adam driver is horrible as a 40 year old sloth looking man with teen angst who kills his dad Han solo.

They completely miscast that part which is a big reason that that trilogy was a failure.

Honestly regardless of what they do with Batuu they will never make the... intense ... Star Wars fans happy. And I don't think they really wanted, they made a land were even non-fans could get the vibe and enjoy.
Not true.

A new Hope land would have been just as if not more popular with non-fans.

Doubt it. A lot of people here truly underrate how drab and boring Mos Eisley looks. It’s not meant to be an inviting place. I think that informed the design choices with Galaxy’s Edge. They wanted something with a little more pop.
Which the failed to execute

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter