Disney cancels many summer Galactic Starcruiser voyages

My son adores SW. He has at 16 a full millennium Falcon bed with built in sound system… that being said we haven’t bit on Starcruiser yet. Because it’s too short for too much money, he is autistic and takes a minute to get the lay of the land so to speak and there simply isn’t enough time on a “sailing” for him to do so. It’s priced well and above even a DCL cruise but with so much less time on board.

Would we be more inclined if it took place during the original timeline (With Han, Leia, Luke) Absolutely. In fact my son would be most interested during the prequel timeframe because he is obsessed with Mace Windu…. but it still comes down to too short of stay.

Also I don’t want to be dropped in HS with every park goer. That doesn’t feel immersive or unique. I honestly thought Starcruiser would get either after hours or early morning private access to the land for unique adventures- but that never happened.

Also I know this has been mentioned, but not having the ability to check prices directly on the website by putting your parties information and dates severely hinders me wanting to go.

Often I will be on the DCL page many times looking at that price, considering it over and over again before I actually pull the trigger and reach out to my travel agent.

Oof another discount announced for Disney Visa holders which is…a large group of people. If they can’t get voyages filled what’s next? A discount for those whose last name starts with S, T, A, R, and W? Maybe a discount during your birthday month a la Benihana style?

Watching a recent video from there and even with one dinner service the dining room only looks 1/2 full to 2/3rd full. All the outer rim tables are empty.

Not everything with a high price is overpriced. I think a lot of people are seriously underestimating what it would cost to run an operation like this, with so many live performers, food and lodging included, and paying off development costs. I've never read a trip report from anyone who's actually done it who thought they didn't get their money's worth.

Not everything with a high price is overpriced. I think a lot of people are seriously underestimating what it would cost to run an operation like this, with so many live performers, food and lodging included, and paying off development costs. I've never read a trip report from anyone who's actually done it who thought they didn't get their money's worth.
I'd argue that there is a distinction between value-for-money (a lovely UK term that I've always appreciated) vs. market price point. Both situations can be overpriced, depending on context.

I think that while this SW LARP does seem to represent good value-for-money, in that people who have done it mostly felt that they got good value for what they paid, it can still be said to be overpriced, because it also sits at too high a market price point for the typical WDW visitor; even those in the "big-spender" fraction of WDW guests (the folks who always stay concierge on-property, stay at least 7 days, dine often at Signature restaurants and buy a lot of merch.) Not only is that group very small relative to the total number of visitors, but the folks in that group don't tend to have a large overlap of the subset of SW fans interested in participating in a LARP.
Lowering the price for this current experience probably won't fix the situation, but I think that varying the available experiences (and their price points) could do it over time.

Biggest problem with this is it feels like (as someone who hasn’t done it) a one and done adventure. Having the experience be something people would want to come back to over and over again will be key. Yes, they can update, but I’m not sure merely updating is even enough here.

Biggest problem with this is it feels like (as someone who hasn’t done it) a one and done adventure. Having the experience be something people would want to come back to over and over again will be key. Yes, they can update, but I’m not sure merely updating is even enough here.
I don’t know what the repeat rate is but I’ve definitely heard of people booking return visits.

I don’t know what the repeat rate is but I’ve definitely heard of people booking return visits.
My DISer friends just went on it twice but to my knowledge it was with steep discounts (like CM ones). The price tag will prevent even the most avid lovers of the product to have a harder time doing so more than once if the even get to do it one time.

My DISer friends just went on it twice but to my knowledge it was with steep discounts (like CM ones). The price tag will prevent even the most avid lovers of the product to have a harder time doing so more than once if the even get to do it one time.

I agree. Everyone I have heard that has gone, including my family and friends, would love to do it again. However, the cost is pretty steep. Hoping they continue the discounts, so we could maybe do it again next year.

That's pretty shocking. I though for sure they would at least try to pivot to shorter experiences or something. I knew it was having some issues, but it was hard to say because no hotel should expect to have 100% occupancy all the time. Clearly though the price was a MAJOR barrier to the potential customer base and you're not going to get a lot of repeat business with something like that either. They priced it right out of existence!

I think that was a lingering thought in my head based on the schedules being axed this summer but it is actually still shocking IMO that they have gone ahead and done it. One of those things you're waiting for the shoe to drop and it never does but like this time it has.

That's pretty shocking. I though for sure they would at least try to pivot to shorter experiences or something. I knew it was having some issues, but it was hard to say because no hotel should expect to have 100% occupancy all the time. Clearly though the price was a MAJOR barrier to the potential customer base and you're not going to get a lot of repeat business with something like that either. They priced it right out of existence!
I will say I am not shocked it's closing, but I thought they would work it a bit longer. Perhaps the best option is a dead stop, re-evaluate and possibly make changes, then re-open with a completely different structure. I suppose it makes for a good write off this year. I always said they should have sold some cruises as corporate retreats or conferences. It's a good size for that.

The price was crazy but honestly after getting my Disney Cruise quote o_O for 4 nights it wasn't that bad. I think the issue is like you say the "potential customer base" and lack of "repeat business". I don't think they factored in that many hard core SW fans (my DS & friends) are not as happy with Disney's new SW style and therefore have no interest in an experience of the same. They just didn't have the demand.

Last edited:
I will say I am not shocked it's closing, but I thought they would work it a bit longer. Perhaps the best option is a dead stop, re-evaluate and possibly make changes, then re-open with a completely different structure. I suppose it makes for a good write off this year. I said they always should have sold some cruises as corporate retreats or conferences. It's a good size for that.

The price was crazy but honestly after getting my Disney Cruise quote o_O for 4 nights it wasn't that bad. I think the issue is like you say the "potential customer base" and lack of "repeat business". I don't think they factored in that many hard core SW fans (my DS & friends) are not as happy with Disney's new SW style and therefore have no interest in an experience of the same. They just didn't have the demand.

I really don't think it has to do with those "fans" though who don't like the new stuff. Really, at that price, the customer base was already small. That was always a concern. I AM a hardcore fan who likes all eras, and even I wasn't sure how much I'd like the heavy role-play elements of the thing. I already kinda hate that Galaxy's Edge doesn't have background music! It's not what I would have wanted - though I might have given it a shot if the price was lower. I still go to and enjoy SWGE too, but I wouldn't if it weren't attached to the rest of HS. I go primarily for the other stuff, GE is just a part of it, like the Hall of Presidents or The Morocco Pavillion. 😉

I will say I am not shocked it's closing, but I thought they would work it a bit longer. Perhaps the best option is a dead stop, re-evaluate and possibly make changes, then re-open with a completely different structure. I suppose it makes for a good write off this year. I said they always should have sold some cruises as corporate retreats or conferences. It's a good size for that.

i bet its completely redone. my thoughts are they actually need to expand it, create more rooms, and make it a star wars theme hotel. with pricing inline for a moderate or deluxe hotel.

they out priced themselves on this one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter