Disney CM layoffs...

Davey Jones II

DIS Veteran
So Disney is starting a big round of layoffs this week. I have to wonder how badly this will affect the guest experience in the parks? I can't help but feel that the parks, and we, the guests, are unfairly being penalized for Disney's losses in streaming. The parks are the company's most consistent money makers, and we, the guests, are being charged rapidly escalating prices to attend. Our reward? Less CMs and a diminished guest experience? All this because Disney + is weighing down on corporate earnings!

I'm sick and tired of the parks getting bashed for the failures of other corporate divisions. The company has a long history of this kind of b.s. Years ago, losses at ESPN or ABC resulted in budget cuts. Now, it's streaming. As long as the parks are (incredibly!) profitable, there's no excuse for cutting corners in that division. We pay for better, and we deserve better. And so do the (very) hard working CMs.

Yes, initially everyone was quick to assume parks wouldn't be affected. But that doesn't appear to have held true. Given the profitability of parks, they should leave it alone. But nope. They'll try to squeeze even more out of it.

Yes, initially everyone was quick to assume parks wouldn't be affected. But that doesn't appear to have held true. Given the profitability of parks, they should leave it alone. But nope. They'll try to squeeze even more out of it.

Do we know if they are hitting the parks? didnt see it in the article i read but curious...

So Disney is starting a big round of layoffs this week. I have to wonder how badly this will affect the guest experience in the parks? I can't help but feel that the parks, and we, the guests, are unfairly being penalized for Disney's losses in streaming. The parks are the company's most consistent money makers, and we, the guests, are being charged rapidly escalating prices to attend. Our reward? Less CMs and a diminished guest experience? All this because Disney + is weighing down on corporate earnings!

I'm sick and tired of the parks getting bashed for the failures of other corporate divisions. The company has a long history of this kind of b.s. Years ago, losses at ESPN or ABC resulted in budget cuts. Now, it's streaming. As long as the parks are (incredibly!) profitable, there's no excuse for cutting corners in that division. We pay for better, and we deserve better. And so do the (very) hard working CMs.
Wow ... and here I was worried about more people being out of work ...

I really hope they are not laying off park CMs. My daughter works as a CM at the Disneyland parks. She's relatively new, but loves her job. It would devastate her if she got laid off.

The fact is they need more CMs in the parks. My guess is hiring will slow but not downright stop.

DVC on the other hand, I could imagine being impacted by staffing cuts.

The fact is they need more CMs in the parks. My guess is hiring will slow but not downright stop.

DVC on the other hand, I could imagine being impacted by staffing cuts.
I think DVC will be more affected by the CM raise, dues increasing.

Realistically, a lot of these cuts will be on duplicate positions from the reworking of the divisions. The Media and Distribution division getting cut and those duties getting passed back to their respective divisions left a bunch of overlapping jobs. The Metaverse division just got axed, which doesn't affect a lot of other area. The other major cuts are likely to hit TV/streaming, you might as well throw the production/budgeting etc into one group and divvy up the tv shows between streaming and tv to get the best bang for your buck. I would also expect a lot of change with Hulu once a decision is made there.

If they are looking to cut some serious expense, they aren't targeting people making under $20 an hour. They will target various positions in the 6-7 figure range. I'm talking execs, mid & upper management positions.

Wow ... and here I was worried about more people being out of work ...
I did mention in my post that the CMs deserve better, too. If they have less CMs to support them, then that makes their job harder.

But this is a fan forum, not a CM's rights forum. As people who shell out our hard earned money to visit Disney, I think we're entitled to complain about how company decisions affect us. So sue me if I'm not spending the whole post tearing my shirt over the plight of CMs.

If they are looking to cut some serious expense, they aren't targeting people making under $20 an hour. They will target various positions in the 6-7 figure range. I'm talking execs, mid & upper management positions.
Already underway. This is a Los Angeles TV station

https://ktla.com/news/disney-lays-off-multiple-high-ranking-employees-during-first-wave-of-job-cuts/

Disney lays off multiple high-ranking employees during first wave of job cuts
by: Iman Palm
Posted: Mar 29, 2023 / 11:24 AM PDT

The Walt Disney Co. has laid off multiple high-ranking employees during the first round of its planned job cuts, a move that will reduce the company’s workforce by 7,000 jobs or 3%.
So far, Disney has laid off:

• Isaac Perlmutter, the former Marvel Entertainment chairman. The New York Times reported that Perlmutter’s departure comes after he unsuccessfully tried to help Nelson Peltz, an activist, investor and personal friend, join the Disney board. Perlmutter sold Marvel to Disney for $4 billion in 2009.
  • Rob Steffens, the former co-president of Marvel Entertainment, was also laid off, Variety reported.
  • John Turitzin, the former chief counsel to Marvel Entertainment
  • Jeffrey R. Epstein, the former vice president of corporate communications for Disney and spokesperson for Disney’s official fan club, D23, was laid off, The Wrap reported,
  • Elizabeth Newman, the former vice president of Development and head of the Creative Acquisitions department at for Disney Television Studios.
  • Mark Levenstein, the former head of post-production at Hulu.
  • Jayne Bieber, the former senior vice president of production management and operations at Freeform
  • The entire Disney metaverse division, the Wall Street Journal reported.
On Monday, multiple media outlets reported that Disney CEO Bob Iger sent out a memo explaining that the company will begin notifying employees “whose positions are impacted by the company’s workforce reductions.”

Disney CEO Bob Iger confirms that company’s planned job layoffs will begin this week
Disney is expected to do two more rounds of job cuts, with the largest one happening in April. The job cuts are expected to conclude by the beginning of summer.

Deadline reported that The April job cut wave has been described as the “big one” or a “bloodbath” because that’s when a large number of people would be laid off.

Iger initially announced the news of the layoffs on Feb. 8. The loss of 7,000 jobs would represent a 3% reduction of the company workforce. The layoff news came as Disney enacted a company-wide plan to reduce costs by $5.5 billion.

All company divisions, including theme parks, are expected to be impacted by the planned labor reduction. The company’s theme park division includes the Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, Disney cruise lines, and its international parks.
Disney workforce cuts to affect all company divisions, including theme parks
In addition to the planned job cuts, Disney has also instituted a hiring freeze, implemented under previous CEO Bob Chapek following a dismal earnings report.

When Iger returned to his old position as Disney’s top executive, he announced during a town hall meeting that the freeze would remain in place.

Likely this. They probably aren't actually reducing staff, but they are not filling some open positions. They are going to try to get by with what they have, which really isn't enough, though better than it was.
A hiring freeze is a disguised budget cut. It still shows that the parks are being penalized for the failures in other divisions of the company. The parks need more CMs, not the status quo. For example, during slower (relatively) park days, rides are being run at half capacity. Anything that artificially baloons wait times is unacceptable, IMHO.

I did mention in my post that the CMs deserve better, too. If they have less CMs to support them, then that makes their job harder.

But this is a fan forum, not a CM's rights forum. As people who shell out our hard earned money to visit Disney, I think we're entitled to complain about how company decisions affect us. So sue me if I'm not spending the whole post tearing my shirt over the plight of CMs.
Hopefully, they will be calling you soon to run the company ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter