Disney CM layoffs...

A hiring freeze is a disguised budget cut. It still shows that the parks are being penalized for the failures in other divisions of the company. The parks need more CMs, not the status quo. For example, during slower (relatively) park days, rides are being run at half capacity. Anything that artificially baloons wait times is unacceptable, IMHO.
I don't really see the CMs as a hiring freeze. Let's face reality, Disney Universal and all of Orlando are fighting over a fixed pool of service workers. Disney really only has 2 solutions to this, raise the wages (which in turn means raising the costs of tickets and everything else guests pay for), or bring in outside labor (College program), CP's are limited by housing. They only have 4 places for them to stay for now, and they're temp labor, so not the best situation. This is the same reason we haven't seen a 5th gate for Disney. Disney isn't trying to limit CP's they're just stuck trying to hire as much as they can in the situation they're in without upsetting everyone guests and employees alike.

I don't really see the CMs as a hiring freeze. Let's face reality, Disney Universal and all of Orlando are fighting over a fixed pool of service workers. Disney really only has 2 solutions to this, raise the wages (which in turn means raising the costs of tickets and everything else guests pay for), or bring in outside labor (College program), CP's are limited by housing. They only have 4 places for them to stay for now, and they're temp labor, so not the best situation. This is the same reason we haven't seen a 5th gate for Disney. Disney isn't trying to limit CP's they're just stuck trying to hire as much as they can in the situation they're in without upsetting everyone guests and employees alike.
DIS just agreed to a significant pay raise for WDW cast members last week.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/disney-layoffs-extend-streaming-jobs-china

Disney layoffs extend to streaming jobs in China: report​

Ken Martin

The first round of layoffs at The Walt Disney Company were not just stateside, but extended to the Far East as well.

The entertainment giant has laid off more than 300 employees in Beijing who worked on its streaming services, according to The Wall Street Journal.
The cuts are part of a cost-cutting and restructuring plan that began this week and will involve the loss of 7,000 jobs.

The China layoffs focus on technology employees who were working in areas of Disney’s streaming services.

Disney has made streaming a focal point of its business.

Disney operates several streaming services including Disney+, which is available in much of the world except for mainland China, as well as ESPN+ and Hulu in the U.S. and Disney+ Hotstar in Asia.

At the end of 2022, Disney+ had 161.8 million subscribers, Hulu had 48 million; and ESPN+ had 24.9 million.

The company has been under pressure to control costs and aims at reaching profitability for its streaming business by September 2024.

The service has reportedly lost nearly $10 billion since its 2019 launch.

Robert Iger returned as Disney CEO in November after the removal of Bob Chapek.
The company announced it would make $5.5 billion in budget cuts and reduce head count.

I did mention in my post that the CMs deserve better, too. If they have less CMs to support them, then that makes their job harder.

But this is a fan forum, not a CM's rights forum. As people who shell out our hard earned money to visit Disney, I think we're entitled to complain about how company decisions affect us. So sue me if I'm not spending the whole post tearing my shirt over the plight of CMs.
No one's suing you - just a difference of opinion (which is something to which we're all "entitled", which was such an apt word)

She's a student and also living at home. So it works for her now. It would be hard if that was all she was doing and she has was completely on her own.
She does love it. She's in entertainment. She currently works at both Disneyland and Sesame Place. Mainly Disneyland and just a day a week at Sesame.

Realistically, a lot of these cuts will be on duplicate positions from the reworking of the divisions. The Media and Distribution division getting cut and those duties getting passed back to their respective divisions left a bunch of overlapping jobs. The Metaverse division just got axed, which doesn't affect a lot of other area. The other major cuts are likely to hit TV/streaming, you might as well throw the production/budgeting etc into one group and divvy up the tv shows between streaming and tv to get the best bang for your buck. I would also expect a lot of change with Hulu once a decision is made there.
I wouldn't be suprised if they sold off hulu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter