Disney Genie announcement

I'm fine with copying the universal method. Just also give top tier annual pass holders the express after 4 too! :)

I'm fine with copying the universal method. Just also give top tier annual pass holders the express after 4 too! :)
A perk like that is able to work at Universal due to it being a less popular park than WDW. I don't see Disney giving that perk to WDW annual passholders if they did start selling a premier pass. Kind of like how Disney would never give deluxe resorts free Fastpass. I see a lot of people say that they only stay at the pricier Universal hotels just to get Express. Disney doesn't need to give an incentive for people to stay at their deluxe resorts. They're selling out anyway.

Last edited:
I don't think from a PARK to PARK situation universal attendance is too dissimilar to Disney lately. Universal studios and IOA both average around 10-11 million. Fairly comparable to Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom. Magic Kingdom obviously blows that out of the water.

But yeah, the hotel aspect is true.

I don't see them giving that perk to annual passholders either because they don't have to. There is no incentive for them to do it, especially since people are begging to buy annual passes right now. I'm just wishing. lol

With the price increases of resorts, tickets, restaurants, and now paying to ride with genie + it’s to much! Also no free transportation to and from the airport!
We have gone every year since 2010. We are probably just going to go maybe every other year. Disney has just gotten so greedy we can’t pay for every year anymore.
I also do not like getting up by 7:00 every morning for genie + to make sure we get our favorite rides.
We went in December and still enjoyed ourselves and used genie which did help. I still prefer the old FastPass system where you already have your rides chosen before you get there and it was free.
I can imagine how confusing it might be for first timers and people who are spontaneous.

Last edited:

At WDW i would doubt that something like this is coming down the pipeline. It works for smaller/ less congested parks (ie Paris, and Universal). I just don't know how how a park as busy as WDW would be able to guarantee 12
They could exclude the tier1 rides and include shows. They’re very creative in this regard.

I don't think from a PARK to PARK situation universal attendance is too dissimilar to Disney lately. Universal studios and IOA both average around 10-11 million. Fairly comparable to Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom. Magic Kingdom obviously blows that out of the water.

I don't see them giving that perk to annual passholders either because they don't have to. There is no incentive for them to do it, especially since people are begging to buy annual passes right now. I'm just wishing. lol
I believe they want to lower pass holders attendance as people who are flying in staying onsite are the big spenders (suckers like us who still haven’t bought DVC or annual passes).

They could exclude the tier1 rides and include shows. They’re very creative in this regard.
This, and it will be tiered pricing like Universal. For instance, at the end of May right now, its $259.99 for a single use express pass for one park. With the amount people pay for trips, the number they sell will be limited. It would definitely work.

And if you add up the fast pass worthy attractions at the two parks at Universal and the three parks at Disney (not including MK), Universal has more.

This, and it will be tiered pricing like Universal. For instance, at the end of May right now, its $259.99 for a single use express pass for one park. With the amount people pay for trips, the number they sell will be limited. It would definitely work.
Can we honestly say we won’t miss Genie+? What will this new pass be called? Robbinghood?

But that didn’t stop them from implementing a pay per ride system even though Genie+ is not worth it in AK and Epcot (you don’t save 3 hours)

View attachment 667387

https://touringplans.com/blog/how-much-time-can-i-save-with-genie-at-wdw/
The average here is about 2 hours, taking MK and HS out of the mix it is a little better than 90 minutes. saving up to 2 hours a day doesn't seem terrible in my mind that seems pretty reasonable. I agree you don't need it for AK, & EP, but I can see where there is some value there

The average here is about 2 hours, taking MK and HS out of the mix it is a little better than 90 minutes. saving up to 2 hours a day doesn't seem terrible in my mind that seems pretty reasonable. I agree you don't need it for AK, & EP, but I can see where there is some value there
For us, we bought it for our entire trip because Epcot was checkin and checkout day so we had limited time and AK day we sleep in and go late or use the evening as a pool day. We have to utilize rider switch so any time saved (even 114 mins) is worth it for us.

And if you add up the fast pass worthy attractions at the two parks at Universal and the three parks at Disney (not including MK), Universal has more.
It doesn’t matter how many genie+ worthy rides are there. I’m sure it will be worded as ‘up to 12 rides’. The goal is not to save you time as much as it is to reduce the number of people buying while making more money than the current system.

But that didn’t stop them from implementing a pay per ride system even though Genie+ is not worth it in AK and Epcot (you don’t save 3 hours)

View attachment 667387

https://touringplans.com/blog/how-much-time-can-i-save-with-genie-at-wdw/
I think this chart is only semi-true. If you win the G+ lottery, then yes, G+ saves time.

If you don't win the lottery (HS, AK), then the value is less apparent. I don't think it is really ever worthwhile at Epcot. For one thing, a G+ is of questionable value for Soarin', because the G+ queue for Soarin' is relatively slow -not anywhere near as fast as most G+ queues. . So that really only leaves Test Track.

And with any given ride, the waits are going to be variable over the course of a day, not a fixed number. Magic Kingdom has enough attractions to even out the crowds a bit. If you don't get Jungle Cruise, you still have multiple very worthwhile attractions for round 1, plus a solpid pool of worthwhile second round of attractions for your 2nd and 3rd passes. In Epcot, you may well be able to ride TT with a minimal wait.

In HS, if you miss Slinky...that's a big hit. though I tend to think HS is about to be far less popular. Call me when Slinky passes are available until 10am. Then G+ will be less of a gamble, but the value of G+ might look even more like Epcot.

The other maybe problem with trying to create a chart like this is that G+ value depends on how many hours you can be in the park. If you can be there all day- more value. If you are in the park from noon to close/picking passes at 7am- decent value. If however, you can only stay until 2pm, G+ is of minimal value.

In this case, average is of some value, but also somewhat unreliable, IMO.

I think this chart is only semi-true. If you win the G+ lottery, then yes, G+ saves time.

If you don't win the lottery (HS, AK), then the value is less apparent. I don't think it is really ever worthwhile at Epcot. For one thing, a G+ is of questionable value for Soarin', because the G+ queue for Soarin' is relatively slow -not anywhere near as fast as most G+ queues. . So that really only leaves Test Track.

And with any given ride, the waits are going to be variable over the course of a day, not a fixed number. Magic Kingdom has enough attractions to even out the crowds a bit. If you don't get Jungle Cruise, you still have multiple very worthwhile attractions for round 1, plus a solpid pool of worthwhile second round of attractions for your 2nd and 3rd passes. In Epcot, you may well be able to ride TT with a minimal wait.

In HS, if you miss Slinky...that's a big hit. though I tend to think HS is about to be far less popular. Call me when Slinky passes are available until 10am. Then G+ will be less of a gamble, but the value of G+ might look even more like Epcot.

The other maybe problem with trying to create a chart like this is that G+ value depends on how many hours you can be in the park. If you can be there all day- more value. If you are in the park from noon to close/picking passes at 7am- decent value. If however, you can only stay until 2pm, G+ is of minimal value.

Some of the pitfalls you've listed here were the same with FP+, especially when talking about ride availability, or time spent in the park. I can't tell you how many passes we used to leave on the table because we wanted to go back and relax by the pool. Biggest difference to me is that the price isn't baked into admission, and you don't have them ahead of time, those are not in any way small changes, but i think the rest is relatively the same as FP+

Some of the pitfalls you've listed here were the same with FP+, especially when talking about ride availability, or time spent in the park. I can't tell you how many passes we used to leave on the table because we wanted to go back and relax by the pool. Biggest difference to me is that the price isn't baked into admission, and you don't have them ahead of time, those are not in any way small changes, but i think the rest is relatively the same as FP+
To some extent that is true, as you say, FP+ was not an upcharge. I left many paper FP on the table, but not FP+. With every minute now monetized, every minute counts.

FP+ changed over time, but as of 2018 it was easy to modify. Alas though, FP+ vs. G+ wasn't the point of my post. The aim of my post was more strictly on the value of paying for G+ in each park. It clearly saves time in MK, but I'm not currently eager to buy it in any of the other parks.

I'm not horrified by the idea of an upcharge, but I aim to be selective. As of today, if I was going to spend $15 in Epcot or AK, I'd spend it on Rat/FoP. With an ILL, I choose the return time, and if I choose a late morning time, then I KNOW my pass will = beating the midday rush.

Otherwise, I like all the rides, and previously opted to ride all of them. These days though, it is far less hassle to just skip 1 headliner in each park. If I skip 7D, I save $15, no 120minute queue, and I am not part of the morning stampede. Triple bonus! In Epcot, I skip either Soarin' or FEA. (do one/skip the other). Giving up 1 = 60% less hassle, unless waits are unusually short.

For me, I have been on everything in HS, but I will not return. HS just isn't worth the hassle/aggravation. HS is bad on a good day, but when headliners go down- ugh! It becomes a nightmare, and you can't leave until 2pm. No thanks. Rise is WAAYYY too unreliable. At least if all of Epcot's attractions went down (they don't), there are still many things to do/see. HS had very little beyond Slinky, Rise, TSM, ToT, and RnRC. MF's preshow/exterior looks neat, but the 'game' itself is very boring. MF deserves better. ToT is also barely limping these days. HS just isn't a reliable bet.

Not a fan of G+ here but in forced to use it this coming week. The one time I tried it failed miserably for me so I could use some help. What are your favorite YouTubers that have how to videos on GP? When I Google my favs (the dis, allears) their videos are super old and not up to date since they made adjustments right around thanksgiving. Thank you friends! I leave tomorrow and am excited - but NOT excited about GP

Here is a comparison Molly vs Quincy; personally I saved about 4,000 steps with Genie+.

66EE4BF2-7FB1-4281-9841-C6DCB7E3EE78.jpeg
30BE35B6-0D65-4E79-B16C-97EECF3F7E8F.jpeg

Here is a comparison Molly vs Quincy; personally I saved about 4,000 steps with Genie+.

View attachment 668057
View attachment 668058

Whoa! I would not count on this being your personal experience for anyone. Even at 7 a.m., if you choose to go for Jungle Cruise, the chances of getting it early in the morning are slim to none. If you get it at 7 a.m. and its time slot isn't until 1:30 or so, then you can not make a second pass until 11 a.m. so from 9-11 a.m. (at the minimum) you will be waiting in lines.

G+ helps with the ones you are able to get but it does not eliminate all of your lines, especially if you ride the bigger rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter