Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ended up burning my $400 Ebay (all I had on hand) on Gamestop email delivery cards - Free $32 ebay bucks - will convert those back to ebay to have on hand for rolling...

How many times do you guys usually "churn" your gift cards? So once you buy a Target GC from Raise, then buy a Ebay gift card from Target, then a Target gift card from Ebay... how many times before you just buy the Disney GC from Target? Is it a one time thing? (Basically I'm asking because I'm thinking crap, this is a $100 Ebay gift card, I'm gonna earn $2!)

How many times do you guys usually "churn" your gift cards? So once you buy a Target GC from Raise, then buy a Ebay gift card from Target, then a Target gift card from Ebay... how many times before you just buy the Disney GC from Target? Is it a one time thing? (Basically I'm asking because I'm thinking crap, this is a $100 Ebay gift card, I'm gonna earn $2!)

Personally, I'll continue churning until it's time to pay off my trip. However, in between I use a couple hundred dollars worth of Target gift cards every month or two for every day purchases. I don't do a spreadsheet or anything like that because *I know* I'm saving money but it's too hard to figure out exactly when I'm using the cards for home use as well.

I'm sure the third-party reseller sites periodically confirm the value of the cards being sold. This would allow Target to "track" the cards to the IP address(es) of the computer(s) doing the checking. It wouldn't take a lot of detective work on Target's part to figure out which cards were listed on which sites.

Giftcard Zen probably generated an above-average number of balance queries to Target's system in a short amount of time thanks to their recent sale. That may have tripped some flags that led us to where we are now.

I'll readily admit I don't know for sure what Target does or if they employ an outside firm like Riskified (which Giftcard Zen uses), but I find this highly unlikely. The resellers vet the card sellers, not the cards. They may spot check some cards, but I highly doubt it. Also, how would Target know which IP address is subscribed to by which site? They may be able to track the IP address, but Internet Service Providers don't just give subscriber information out to anybody; it's often times impossible to get with grand jury subpoenas due to staleness and non-static IPs. A preservation letter sent to an Internet Service Provider might get you 30-60 days of IP subscriber information. I would think it would take a lot of detective work by Target and authority they don't have to get this information. It's not like Target is on the same team as the resellers; the exact opposite actually.

I dont' have a spreadsheet - I tried - just too confusing for me - I basically hold the cards till I need them - I have no disney trip planned :(:scared: yes I continue to do my madness with the cards...

I also do swagbucks and mypoints so I get some rewards via there :rainbow:

Not if the original buyer bought them fraudulently. If I buy a target gift card at Kroger, it's not going to be flagged. I'm not sure the churning has anything to do with this. But I'm just going to stay away from it and the ebates loophole just in case.

Ah, I see the confusion. We aren't buying resale cards on eBay auctions, we are buying retail cards directly from the same company that sells the cards at Kroger through their eBay storefront. We are the original buyer, just like buying them from Kroger. I am not trying to convince you to try buying from eBay, the Kroger route is fine.

DS and I just started this on October 10 and we've cycled through ebay and Target seven times so far. Since our trip isn't until January 2017, we plan to cycle through as long as we can. We were cycling through about once a week for the first two weeks and then I got my first 5X eBay bucks offer. At that point we decided to slow down and wait until we received another 3X, 4X or 5X offer. That made it a bit trickier since sometimes our Target gift cards in transit, or GCM would be out of stock when an offer came through and we'd have to pass on it. I'm also very close to my $5,000 PayPal limit, so we'll be switching to my son's ebay/PayPal account at that point. When it comes time to cash them out for Disney GC, we've already decided to just buy them in-store rather than online so we don't have to worry about them not being activated or possibly being banned like some have. We've more than doubled our initial $500 investment, so anything else is icing on the cake.

DS and I just started this on October 10 and we've cycled through ebay and Target seven times so far. Since our trip isn't until January 2017, we plan to cycle through as long as we can. We were cycling through about once a week for the first two weeks and then I got my first 5X eBay bucks offer. At that point we decided to slow down and wait until we received another 3X, 4X or 5X offer. That made it a bit trickier since sometimes our Target gift cards in transit, or GCM would be out of stock when an offer came through and we'd have to pass on it. I'm also very close to my $5,000 PayPal limit, so we'll be switching to my son's ebay/PayPal account at that point. When it comes time to cash them out for Disney GC, we've already decided to just buy them in-store rather than online so we don't have to worry about them not being activated or possibly being banned like some have. We've more than doubled our initial $500 investment, so anything else is icing on the cake.

OH my gosh! That is crazy! I am happy if I save 5% so when I found out I could do Raise for 6% and then to Target for 5% more I was thrilled. You are fabulous! I will probably churn this Target one once I get it in the mail.. I only invested $100 initially because I figured if I get stuck w/ $100 to Target I'd have no problem blowing it. The in-store Target purchase is a good idea, too! You rock. Once I get this $100 Target GC in the mail I may have to get a few more.

Ah, I see the confusion. We aren't buying resale cards on eBay auctions, we are buying retail cards directly from the same company that sells the cards at Kroger through their eBay storefront. We are the original buyer, just like buying them from Kroger. I am not trying to convince you to try buying from eBay, the Kroger route is fine.
I have bought from eBay twice and churned but I think I'm done with that. But I agree there is no difference between buying there vs. Kroger.

It's still too early to say and we probably never will know the details, but with the lowes gift card policy change recently and all three banned shoppers using giftcard zen, to me that's enough to use gift card resellers cautiously.

I would think it would take a lot of detective work by Target and authority they don't have to get this information. It's not like Target is on the same team as the resellers; the exact opposite actually.

Corporations like Target can't show revenue for gift cards until they are actually used. They are actually carried as liabilities as a gift card is considered unsecured debt between the company and the holder of the gift card. When the gift card is used, the liability is removed and revenue is created. That does put Target on the same team as the resellers, they even have Cardpool employees in store to buy gift cards for resale.

My guess is that the problem with the Gift Card Zen bannings has more to do with the original source of the cards and not with the fact that they were bought resale at all.

I'll readily admit I don't know for sure what Target does or if they employ an outside firm like Riskified (which Giftcard Zen uses), but I find this highly unlikely. The resellers vet the card sellers, not the cards. They may spot check some cards, but I highly doubt it. Also, how would Target know which IP address is subscribed to by which site? They may be able to track the IP address, but Internet Service Providers don't just give subscriber information out to anybody; it's often times impossible to get with grand jury subpoenas due to staleness and non-static IPs. A preservation letter sent to an Internet Service Provider might get you 30-60 days of IP subscriber information. I would think it would take a lot of detective work by Target and authority they don't have to get this information. It's not like Target is on the same team as the resellers; the exact opposite actually.

Admittedly, I don't know for certain if the reseller sites verify the cards, but if I were running one, I'd try any and all low-cost methods to weed out potential fraud.

As for determining IP addresses, all Target would have to do is sell a card on one of those sites. They would not need any sort of information from an ISP.

Corporations like Target can't show revenue for gift cards until they are actually used. They are actually carried as liabilities as a gift card is considered unsecured debt between the company and the holder of the gift card. When the gift card is used, the liability is removed and revenue is created. That does put Target on the same team as the resellers, they even have Cardpool employees in store to buy gift cards for resale.

My guess is that the problem with the Gift Card Zen bannings has more to do with the original source of the cards and not with the fact that they were bought resale at all.

We'll have to agree to completely disagree that revenue recognition puts them on the same team. Out of curiosity, what are the terms of the Target and Cardpool agreement. If it exists, I'm wondering how Blackhawk feels about it.

Also, my guess is, these aren't GiftCard Zen bannings in the least. Many, many cards being used in the last few days from GCZ without issue. Target is obviously just throwing their weight around here....cause they can.

Also, there's no advantage to high value ebay cards now that ebay doesn't restrict how many you can use at one time.
I remember there was an issue trying to load up to 8 eBay GC in one order. Has that been fixed? I have avoided doing more than 6 GCs in a transaction

I remember there was an issue trying to load up to 8 eBay GC in one order. Has that been fixed? I have avoided doing more than 6 GCs in a transaction

Yes. Somebody else here (sorry I've forgotten who) brought the change to my attention. I confirmed it firsthand on my most recent order. 8 is no longer the limit. Not sure if there's a new limit, but I used 9 with no issues this last time around.

Admittedly, I don't know for certain if the reseller sites verify the cards, but if I were running one, I'd try any and all low-cost methods to weed out potential fraud.

As for determining IP addresses, all Target would have to do is sell a card on one of those sites. They would not need any sort of information from an ISP.

As already stated, GCZ uses the company Riskified as their method to weed out potential fraud; from sellers and buyers. A soft pull is made on each transaction, listing and buying, to compile potential fraud factors.

Regarding the IP, do you think the IP for the sites isn't constantly changing?

As already stated, GCZ uses the company Riskified as their method to weed out potential fraud; from sellers and buyers. A soft pull is made on each transaction, listing and buying, to compile potential fraud factors.

Regarding the IP, do you think the IP for the sites isn't constantly changing?

No. Even if they were using multiple IP addresses, they'd have a rather finite number to work through, and would all likely be in the same block. It's really not hard to determine where your traffic is coming from unless the visitors are taking specific pains (VPNs) to try to cover their tracks.

No. Even if they were using multiple IP addresses, they'd have a rather finite number to work through, and would all likely be in the same block. It's really not hard to determine where your traffic is coming from unless the visitors are taking specific pains (VPNs) to try to cover their tracks.

And more times than not, unlikely. No, it's not hard to determine where YOUR traffic is coming from, but that's not what you're suggesting; you're suggesting Target can go to the resale site and easily determine the IP holder just from listing a card for sale and comparing it to other IPs. Maybe or maybe not. Regardless, I think we can agree that there are obviously going to be fraudulent cards sold on all of the third party sites. I still don't think this is the issue we are seeing here.

We'll have to agree to completely disagree that revenue recognition puts them on the same team. Out of curiosity, what are the terms of the Target and Cardpool agreement. If it exists, I'm wondering how Blackhawk feels about it.

Also, my guess is, these aren't GiftCard Zen bannings in the least. Many, many cards being used in the last few days from GCZ without issue. Target is obviously just throwing their weight around here....cause they can.
I found one of the original source articles which made it clear that Cardpool is just one of many possible vendors working with Target.

http://www.startribune.com/don-t-li...r-retailers-will-offer-you-a-trade/363487621/

I agree the problem is not with Gift Card Zen, the problem is with a small set of cards sold through GCZ that could just as easily have come from one of the other sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter