Disney MagicMobile Service is Here!

The biggest issue for me is having to either wake the phone up all the time, or leave it awake so that the battery power goes too quickly. For those of us who prefer to go bag less, the MB was the perfect tool. It was always on for instant use, and allowed us to either turn our phones off or put them to sleep. I never had issues with the phone battery needing a charge or having to carry anything to charge it with. I have plenty of older MB I can use for now, so that will be my go-to.

I don’t see them going exclusively to the phone because of international travelers and incompatible phones. It’s fine to have it as an additional option for those who want it, but anything that operates solely through the use of personal electronics is going to face these issues.

The biggest issue for me is having to either wake the phone up all the time, or leave it awake so that the battery power goes too quickly.
I don't believe this new functionality will require the phone to be awake all the time. It would only be used when actually using the function such as tapping the phone to a touch point. The additional battery drain would be minimal

I kind of hate wearables and love the convenience of just having my magicband keychain attached to a clutch for easy swiping. I'm on team "I hope magicbands aren't going anywhere."

An app does my 8 year old no good. A band is much more useful
So no changes for your 8 year old. MB are not going away. This is just another option to allow guests to use the technology that they prefer to use.

With the MB 2 with the puck you have even more options if you don't want to wear it on your wrist.

Dave

My guess is that magic bands make them a decent chunk of change. As they continue to release new options, I’m sure they will want to continue that stream of revenue and perhaps even build a bigger following, something similar to collecting pins or popcorn buckets. I feel MagicMobile will simply be another option rather than a complete replacement to magic bands.

I really do like magic bands, especially on our last two trips. I was barely on my phone because I wasn’t busy booking additional FP’s all day. Will be very interesting to see how things unfold.

Just trying to understand how this works. In November I’m bringing my 7 year old nephew for his first visit. I will have to buy him a MB to access his tickets but I can use my phone? I really loved having a MB, but now that they don’t come with a room reservation I’m not sure if I want to bother to buy one. I haven’t been in 5 years so I only have an original MB.

Just trying to understand how this works. In November I’m bringing my 7 year old nephew for his first visit. I will have to buy him a MB to access his tickets

1. but I can use my phone? I really loved having a MB, but now that they don’t come with a room reservation I’m not sure if I want to bother to buy one.
2. I haven’t been in 5 years so I only have an original MB.
1. We don't know WHEN this will be implemented. (It has not happened yet.)
2. Your old MB will still work for all major/significant functions. (The same functions as the new "phone-centered" applications will operate.)

Just trying to understand how this works. In November I’m bringing my 7 year old nephew for his first visit. I will have to buy him a MB to access his tickets but I can use my phone? I really loved having a MB, but now that they don’t come with a room reservation I’m not sure if I want to bother to buy one. I haven’t been in 5 years so I only have an original MB.
You can get a plain colored MB option for $5 from your reservation. They just added a bunch of new colors too

Love my Magic Bands, so I'll be using mine until they go away (if they do). Plus, I keep my phone in a leather case, so I'm not sure how well that's going to work. If Magic Bands go away, I may just get one of the cards and go old school.

If they are doing it via a pass that you add to your apple wallet, it sounds like you'll have to bring that up to use it each time. While that's no problem when paying for something via Apple Pay, I don't know if I want to be scrambling for that pass every time I need to do something in the parks. The magic band was just always there and if you got the puck holders that attached to your watch band, you didn't have to wear two things.

Having another option people can use will be great, but when it comes to things like this, most people will chose the option that requires the least amount of effort.

In DL you have to bring your admission ticket info up on your phone to get a FP. You scan your admit ticket to get the paper FP but then when you go through a line, you scan your admit ticket on your phone, the paper FP is just a souvenir. They have large readers that you hold your phone under, so Disney is already using this technology in DL.

I hope they do not get rid of the magic bands. I don't want to run my phone battery down any quicker than I already do, and we don't give our kids personal phones until they are much older.

Reason #1 for me to use my magic band- no fumbling. As a woman, carrying my phone through the parks is already a pain because *no pockets in women's clothing*, so I usually stuff it in my backpack. I hate carrying things in my hands too. I’m good with using my Apple Watch as a MB, so long as it works as seamlessly, and honestly I’d be excited to not have to wear two devices.

Yeah! Just checked my app, and the MobileMagic tab is there. Unfortunately, it still says “coming soon” (would’ve loved this as our trip is in two days). Screenshot from my app: looks like unlocking the phone will be unnecessary!8D56CFCC-BE7D-42AF-BBE3-4EFA9959B222.png

Yeah! Just checked my app, and the MobileMagic tab is there. Unfortunately, it still says “coming soon” (would’ve loved this as our trip is in two days). Screenshot from my app: looks like unlocking the phone will be unnecessary!View attachment 564511

Same here!!! I was hoping to play with it, but nothing further past that screen. Looks like the app was updated yesterday. Bummer 😆

Thanks mrsap. Looks simple if everyone has their own iOS phone. Looks more painful when everyone's tickets are on one device. I don't want to swipe each time to find their tickets/bands.

It's a catch-22 though. I personally don't like wearing a magic band, but I also don't like swiping around on my phone for each person's ticket/FPs.

Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter