Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Thank you for posting (every little bit helps) and I am not complaining. . .
As a teacher, I saved $8 per night on my next stay. Don't be too jealous if you don't qualify for the discount. :-)

They also do AP discounts and Florida Resident discounts as well....
Don't forget 5% with the redcard on disney gift cards at target... when I can, I pay for EVERYTHING i can at WDW with those.... can put up to a 1000 on each. Say for example when you are spending $4000 on rooms, tickets, food etc.... that $200 in savings is nice . At least that is how I justified getting a saber at Savi's last time.... or stinky perfume at Epcot... or a trip to Oga's....

Don't forget 5% with the redcard on disney gift cards at target... when I can, I pay for EVERYTHING i can at WDW with those.... can put up to a 1000 on each. Say for example when you are spending $4000 on rooms, tickets, food etc.... that $200 in savings is nice . At least that is how I justified getting a saber at Savi's last time.... or stinky perfume at Epcot... or a trip to Oga's....
Usually will stock up if I have a trip planned and Target runs one of those Circle bonus situations. The Disney gift card purchase still currently counts towards earning it.

There was some discussion somewhere within the past couple of months about how Halloween season gets earlier every year. I don't recall if it was this thread or somewhere else. The WSJ put up a story this morning about it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ar...ready-wants-you-to-start-spending/ar-AA1f924J

The Halloween Industrial Complex Already Wants You to Start Spending
By Jacob Passy
8/11/2023

Summer vacation is still in full swing across much of the country. That hasn’t stopped Walt Disney World from rolling out the jack-o’-lanterns on Main Street, U.S.A.

The resort is hustling summer off the stage and kicking off its Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party seasonal event on Friday. Yes, images of scarecrows and tawny foliage are elbowing into prime beach season. It is the earliest that the Halloween event at the Magic Kingdom, first held in 1995, has started.

There will be Disney characters such as Cruella De Vil and the Seven Dwarfs, special parades and fireworks shows, performances featuring the Sanderson Sisters from the “Hocus Pocus” films and candy galore.

Disney is firing the first, extremely early shot in this year’s theme-park Halloween arms race. Some events, like Disney’s, are more family-oriented. Others at Six Flags and Universal Studios lean into the horror, with actors in gory makeup trolling the grounds. What nearly all of these events of the Halloween industrial complex have in common is that they are growing—in size, popularity, and most notably, duration. The witching hour has turned into the witching months.

“August is the new September,” says Martin Lewison, an associate professor at Farmingdale State College in New York who studies theme parks marketing and strategy.

Ginny Phillips, a mother of three and social-media influencer, will be among those in attendance at the Disney Halloween party on Friday, along with her oldest daughter.

“It is like an end-of-summer bash,” says Phillips, who splits her time between the Nashville area and Central Florida. She predicts her family will do far more summertime trick-or-treating at Disney World in August and September than they will in October in their own neighborhood.

The Halloween creep into August brings challenges, such as how to hack a costume in this summer’s record-breaking heat.

Many people dress up for Disney’s Halloween events. Nicole Rivera, a travel agent with Marvelous Mouse Travels, is attending Disney’s festivities on Tuesday, and has coordinated costumes for her family based on characters from the Disney animated film “Moana.”

Her son will be dressed as the chicken character, Heihei, but will wear a T-shirt and shorts instead of full chicken garb, and Rivera also cut back on the feathers she planned to glue onto his get-up.

“I’m the type to go all out so it was really hard to hold back,” she says.

He won’t be wearing the costume again on Halloween proper, since the family lives in Buffalo, N.Y. “It will be about 40 degrees here and windy,” she says.

Theme parks are taking their cues from a Halloween-addicted society. On social media, fans make “Code Orange” posts when they spot the first Halloween merchandise in the wild in stores and many restaurants have already rolled out pumpkin-flavored menu items weeks before Starbucks starts selling its pumpkin spice lattes.

“I feel like adults are more willing to celebrate the things that they enjoyed as a kid, more so than we’ve seen with past generations,” says Mike Wilton, a marketing professional from Southern California who runs a website called All Hallows Geek.

Universal Destinations and Experiences is developing a year-round interactive attraction in Las Vegas based on its popular Halloween Horror Nights events. In California, the Oogie Boogie Bash event at Disneyland Resort, which occurs over 25 nights in September and October, sold out within the first day. Universal Studios theme parks in California and Florida unleash their Halloween Horror Nights in early September.

The epicenter of spooky shindigs is arguably Southern California, home to more than a half-dozen major theme parks. There, Knott’s Berry Farm, a regional park located near Anaheim, Calif., hosted its first Halloween event 50 years ago and is viewed in the industry as the pioneer of the genre. The first edition of what now is called Knott’s Scary Farm took place over just three nights, with tickets costing $4, or about $27 in 2023 dollars, says Jeff Tucker, a show director at the park. Today, the event occurs over six weeks, with admission starting at around $55 per person.

A preview event for the Knott’s Scary Farm celebration is set for late August. The festivities start in earnest in late September.

Now that Halloween events go for more than a month, theme parks have to find ways to keep things scary for people who visit repeatedly. Haunted mazes lose their bite when you know just where a frightening character might pop out. Gus Krueger, a creative and scenic designer at Knott’s, says his team adds rich back stories and lots of hidden details in their mazes—things that visitors might not fully take in on their first times through. The planning takes all year.

That is a good tip in general but unfortunately the Swan/Dolphin don't accept Disney Gift cards.

So a ghost is going to appear at the end of the attraction? I thought the attraction was supposed to introduce the guest to the Manor being off or strange and then the ghosts appear later to explain the weird happenings earlier in the Manor.

Is WDW changing the entire story too for HM or are they just mashing this into the attraction?

Well, the existence of the ghosts is in the story from the beginning, but you don't really "see" them until Madame Leota summons them. You do see a little though, like the guy pushing out of the coffin, but it's all very obscured until the ballroom.

So a ghost is going to appear at the end of the attraction? I thought the attraction was supposed to introduce the guest to the Manor being off or strange and then the ghosts appear later to explain the weird happenings earlier in the Manor.

Is WDW changing the entire story too for HM or are they just mashing this into the attraction?
Mashing it in.

Well, the existence of the ghosts is in the story from the beginning, but you don't really "see" them until Madame Leota summons them. You do see a little though, like the guy pushing out of the coffin, but it's all very obscured until the ballroom.
The floating candelabra in the scene hatbox will be in as well is a huge indicator that ghosts are about.

There was some discussion somewhere within the past couple of months about how Halloween season gets earlier every year. I don't recall if it was this thread or somewhere else. The WSJ put up a story this morning about it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ar...ready-wants-you-to-start-spending/ar-AA1f924J

The Halloween Industrial Complex Already Wants You to Start Spending
By Jacob Passy
8/11/2023

Summer vacation is still in full swing across much of the country. That hasn’t stopped Walt Disney World from rolling out the jack-o’-lanterns on Main Street, U.S.A.

The resort is hustling summer off the stage and kicking off its Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party seasonal event on Friday. Yes, images of scarecrows and tawny foliage are elbowing into prime beach season. It is the earliest that the Halloween event at the Magic Kingdom, first held in 1995, has started.

There will be Disney characters such as Cruella De Vil and the Seven Dwarfs, special parades and fireworks shows, performances featuring the Sanderson Sisters from the “Hocus Pocus” films and candy galore.

Disney is firing the first, extremely early shot in this year’s theme-park Halloween arms race. Some events, like Disney’s, are more family-oriented. Others at Six Flags and Universal Studios lean into the horror, with actors in gory makeup trolling the grounds. What nearly all of these events of the Halloween industrial complex have in common is that they are growing—in size, popularity, and most notably, duration. The witching hour has turned into the witching months.

“August is the new September,” says Martin Lewison, an associate professor at Farmingdale State College in New York who studies theme parks marketing and strategy.

Ginny Phillips, a mother of three and social-media influencer, will be among those in attendance at the Disney Halloween party on Friday, along with her oldest daughter.

“It is like an end-of-summer bash,” says Phillips, who splits her time between the Nashville area and Central Florida. She predicts her family will do far more summertime trick-or-treating at Disney World in August and September than they will in October in their own neighborhood.

The Halloween creep into August brings challenges, such as how to hack a costume in this summer’s record-breaking heat.

Many people dress up for Disney’s Halloween events. Nicole Rivera, a travel agent with Marvelous Mouse Travels, is attending Disney’s festivities on Tuesday, and has coordinated costumes for her family based on characters from the Disney animated film “Moana.”

Her son will be dressed as the chicken character, Heihei, but will wear a T-shirt and shorts instead of full chicken garb, and Rivera also cut back on the feathers she planned to glue onto his get-up.

“I’m the type to go all out so it was really hard to hold back,” she says.

He won’t be wearing the costume again on Halloween proper, since the family lives in Buffalo, N.Y. “It will be about 40 degrees here and windy,” she says.

Theme parks are taking their cues from a Halloween-addicted society. On social media, fans make “Code Orange” posts when they spot the first Halloween merchandise in the wild in stores and many restaurants have already rolled out pumpkin-flavored menu items weeks before Starbucks starts selling its pumpkin spice lattes.

“I feel like adults are more willing to celebrate the things that they enjoyed as a kid, more so than we’ve seen with past generations,” says Mike Wilton, a marketing professional from Southern California who runs a website called All Hallows Geek.

Universal Destinations and Experiences is developing a year-round interactive attraction in Las Vegas based on its popular Halloween Horror Nights events. In California, the Oogie Boogie Bash event at Disneyland Resort, which occurs over 25 nights in September and October, sold out within the first day. Universal Studios theme parks in California and Florida unleash their Halloween Horror Nights in early September.

The epicenter of spooky shindigs is arguably Southern California, home to more than a half-dozen major theme parks. There, Knott’s Berry Farm, a regional park located near Anaheim, Calif., hosted its first Halloween event 50 years ago and is viewed in the industry as the pioneer of the genre. The first edition of what now is called Knott’s Scary Farm took place over just three nights, with tickets costing $4, or about $27 in 2023 dollars, says Jeff Tucker, a show director at the park. Today, the event occurs over six weeks, with admission starting at around $55 per person.

A preview event for the Knott’s Scary Farm celebration is set for late August. The festivities start in earnest in late September.

Now that Halloween events go for more than a month, theme parks have to find ways to keep things scary for people who visit repeatedly. Haunted mazes lose their bite when you know just where a frightening character might pop out. Gus Krueger, a creative and scenic designer at Knott’s, says his team adds rich back stories and lots of hidden details in their mazes—things that visitors might not fully take in on their first times through. The planning takes all year.
If people feel like they can put Christmas trees up in early September, I'll take scarecrows and pumpkins at a summer cookout, thank you very much.

The floating candelabra in the scene hatbox will be in as well is a huge indicator that ghosts are about.

I mean, sure. It's clear from the moment the Ghost Host says "Welcome foolish mortals...." We see the shadow of the organ player, the eyes in the darkness, footsteps on the warped stairway, etc., but no full-on ghosts until after the seance. Honestly, it doesn't bother me as much as it does some people, other than I don't know why they didn't use the same spot as DLR as that would be perfect for it. It's a puzzling choice.

National Geographic Expeditions Cruise Dates Announced for 2025

Take a look at all the incredible places you can visit! There is something for every traveler among the 90 plus expedition cruise itineraries. You can venture to every continent, from the North Pole to the South Pole, and to desert regions teeming with wildlife in their natural habitat. You can also sail along sunny coastal regions or tour far-flung and exotic locations and more — all designed with the extraordinary legacy founded by the National Geographic Society more than 135 years ago. Plus, every trip booked helps support the global nonprofit National Geographic Society in its work to protect and illuminate our world through exploration, research, and education.

Each trip is full of insider access, deep knowledge from National Geographic Experts, naturalists and local subject matter guides who share their knowledge and passion for the destination. You will also get hands-on photography instruction and enjoy excellent accommodations with the convenience of unpacking once during the trip.

Photo credit: Alex Brittenham

Photo credit: Alex Brittenham

Take Curiosity to Reality

Wondering which trip to choose? Visit the Meet Our Experts page to find an expert aligned with your interest, such as wildlife, photography, conservation, marine biology and more. Or are there destinations on your bucket list that you’ve been curious to discover? Check out our Destinations page to see where you can take your curiosity to reality!

Here are just a few of our favorite expedition cruise itineraries.

Galapagos Voyage — Nature and wildlife greet travelers on this exciting tour! Imagine swimming and snorkeling among beautiful and colorful marine life, and on land taking walks to view turtles, penguins, giant tortoises, flamingos and marine iguanas. Hop in a glass-bottom boat or a Zodiac to discover even more about this archipelago of volcanic islands. These are your “classrooms” during this expedition.

Journey to Antarctica — Prepare to be awed by Antarctica’s stunning beauty. As the captain guides the ship through the icy blue waters of the South Pole, marvelous landscapes, whales, sea lions, birds and other wildlife – and the stillness and tranquility – is something to behold. Zodiac boats take guests from the ship to the shore for hiking, or for just admiring penguins up close. Naturalists lead the off-ship activities as well as present lectures throughout the journey to share their vast knowledge of this polar region. Bonus: No two days are alike in Antarctica.

Land of the Polar Bears — Now, let’s get a glimpse of the North Pole. This journey begins in Oslo, Norway with a stop at the Fram Museum and then sailing past the southern fjords en route to Longyearbyen and Svalbard. When in the archipelago, nature leads the way and polar bears rule the region. A National Geographic Photographer and a team of naturalists guide this tour, so whether using a camera or a camera phone, be prepared to capture this fascinating geologic region.

Alaska’s Inside Passage — Just viewing the map displaying this itinerary’s route is breathtaking. The sights and sounds on this trip speak for themselves … and so do the whales that you’ll hear with the ship’s hydrophone! Activities also include sailing past icebergs, calving glaciers and hidden coves, searching for humpback whales, seals, porpoises and more, touring with naturalists along a quiet forest trail, and cruising among the Inian Islands and hiking nearby islands. There is also a visit to Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve to see its mountain goats, brown bears, sea lions and puffins. Travelers are accompanied by a diverse team of experts who share their knowledge and insights into the wildlife, landscape and local culture.

Baja California: Among the Great Whales — California gray whales cruise this coastline a couple of short months of the year, and with National Geographic Expeditions, guests experience a front-row seat to these majestic, long-distance travelers and their calves. The gray whales migrate to the warmer waters from Alaska in one of the longest known migrations of mammals – and one of nature’s greatest spectacles. Naturalists and local guides lead off-ship activities along Isla Magdalena, plus there are opportunities to snorkel and swim among curious sea lions and to explore uninhabited islands.

Pearls of the Pacific: A Voyage to the Society and Tuamotu Islands — Learn about Polynesian culture, visit Bora Bora and snorkel the reefs of Fakarava Atoll. This itinerary is packed with adventure and activities in the French Polynesia region! Crystalline lagoons, white beaches, coconut groves, a pineapple plantation, exploring the lagoon or a small village … living the island life on this 12-day expedition is a tropical dream.

See the World with National Geographic Expeditions

The itineraries featured above are just a glimpse into how you can discover the wonders of the world. National Geographic Expeditions offers more than 140 itineraries to 80 destinations around the world via Signature Land, Expedition Cruise, River Cruise and more. To book your trip, visit NatGeoExpeditions.com, call 888-732-2379 or 312-940-7403

If people feel like they can put Christmas trees up in early September,
They are wrong too.

We have a close-to-ironclad rule in our house. No Christmas Stuff allowed until after the Ceremonial Playing of Alice's Restaurant on Thanksgiving morning.

(The rest of the family refuses to listen with me, but that doesn't change the Rule.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter