Disney Resort on Oahu Rumor

jmatias

AKV, BWV, BCV..the best places to call Home!
Okay...this is my first time reporting a rumor and info came from a condo salesperson so usual disclaimers pertain :)

We are spending this week at Marriott's Koolina Beach Club we got as a last minute exchange with Interval.

Today DH, went to visit the sales office of the Koolina Beach Villas, which is a oceanfront condo resort being built here. Anyway, DH asked the salesperson what other resort developers are planning to build at Koolina, since there are still several empty parcels.

Well, the salesperson told DH that Disney.....yes Disney.....is in the preliminary review process for the empty parcel space right next to the JW Marriott Ihilani resort.

Don't know anything more than that. But wouldn't that be cool!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow I'll see if I can find out anything more.

Aloha,
Jen

Now that is a new DVC I would buy into. We stayed at Ko Olina in February and loved it! Love the lagoons.

Darn! I was hoping that Disney would stay away from the big city and gravitate more toward Hawaii, Kauai, or Maui! We consider Oahu nothing more than a jumping off place for a "real" Hawaiian vacation.

Darn! I was hoping that Disney would stay away from the big city and gravitate more toward Hawaii, Kauai, or Maui! We consider Oahu nothing more than a jumping off place for a "real" Hawaiian vacation.
::yes::

Although...a DVC at Koolina would be even better than what we have in Hawaii now...

One of the things we loved about Ko Olina was that it wasn't right in the city or part of Waikiki. It is over on the west side of the island.

My sentiments exactly. I don't know if I'd have much interest in going to Oahu.

It is true that Honolulu is a big city, but there are several areas of the Island that are beautiful. I am sure if Disney builds there it will be spectacular. Think Vero Beach. The resort is breathtaking, but the city of Vero Beach is so/so. I would even take Honolulu over it. (No offense to residents of Vero)

Bottom line, if no one liked Ohau, they would not still be building timeshares there.

I went for a tour in July 2007. My guide mumbled to m that disney is looking into expanding into some real nice places and he said hawaii was one of them. He told me that he could not tell me anything more but it was in the works. so looks like they are doing some planning to expand to encourage more membership.

We're staying at the Ihilani in a few months. What do you think of that hotel if you've gone into it, Jen? It will be our first vacation on Oahu although DH has been there for business. Otherwise, we've just passed through. We love the Wailea end of Maui but have heard KO'Olina is quiet and beautiful too. Hope so.

And is the empty parcel ocean front?

I like Oahu - lots of history and certain parts of the island are really stunning.

Kauai is probably my favorite island, though. Haven't been to the big island yet. :)

In my opinion, Ko Olina would be the perfect location for a DVC resort in Hawaii.

Ko Olina is not Waikiki. Ko Olina is not urban Honolulu.

Instead, the Ko Olina Resort area is an area that feels like a resort area on one of the other islands (such as the Kaanapali Resort area on Maui), while providing highway access to all the historic, natural, cultural, and recreational attractions of Oahu.

I totally agree with you there. I was stationed in Hawaii during my Navy stint and we loved the big island (Hawaii). Oahu, where we lived, is much more crowded.

The Koolina resort area reminds us a lot of Kaanapali. There is the Koolina golf course in the back with some homes/townhomes. And then the resorts are on oceanfront parcels.

Staying out at Koolina you feel like you are on a neighbor island. The beaches are not crowded since access is controlled and there is a great walking/jogging path along the ocean that is 1.5 miles from the 1st lagoon to the 4th lagoon.

I would think that Disney feels that if they build an Hawaiian resort that a big part of the success will be Asian tourist since that is a big Hawaii market. So Oahu would be a better location for this.

During the week I'll see if i can get more info and take some pics of the empty parcel.

Aloha,
Jen

::yes::

Although...a DVC at Koolina would be even better than what we have in Hawaii now...

TRUE!! We do like to start and end Hawaii trips from Oahu, since it is a good way to get used to the time change.

Everyone is assuming this rumor is for a DVC Resort. Perhaps that's a correct assumption, but I didn't read anywhere in jmatias' posts that said that. Couldn't it be a Disney branded hotel?? Hasn't Disney hinted at this sort of thing at their last stockholder's meeting?

Just a thought... :smokin:

MG

Everyone is assuming this rumor is for a DVC Resort. Perhaps that's a correct assumption, but I didn't read anywhere in jmatias' posts that said that. Couldn't it be a Disney branded hotel?? Hasn't Disney hinted at this sort of thing at their last stockholder's meeting?

Just a thought... :smokin:

MG

I think it's a possibility, although DVC knows that it's members want a Hawaii location.

I think it's a possibility, although DVC knows that it's members want a Hawaii location.

Or maybe the rumored resort would be mixed use, with a portion dedicated to a hotel, and another portion dedicated to DVC.

I think Oahu is a good place for Disney to test the waters on a Hawaiian DVC. Then depending on the success of it, I would definitely see them branching out to the other islands. In the last couple years, the cost to travel from one island to the next has become remarkably cheaper and even eaiser now that the super ferry has finally arrived. So if Disney were to build on one Hawaiian island, I see them expanding to a few others to accomodate the many visitors to Hawaii that do island hop.

And as others have said, Ko'Olina is not Honolulu or Waikiki. It is a beautiful area on the western side of the island along the coast that is 20+ miles away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Honolulu and Waikiki Beach.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time Disney did a half hotel half DVC, just look at Boardwalk, Beach club and Wilderness lodge.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time Disney did a half hotel half DVC, just look at Boardwalk, Beach club and Wilderness lodge.

To be fair, only Boardwalk was built as a joint-venture; the other two had villas added on well after the original resorts were built. However, a mixed-use facility is right in line with the Blue Sky Initiative announced earlier this year. Most rumors I've heard have the Disney-themed hotels popping up internationally, but with as many trade outs that DVC gets to Hawaii, this location seems a likely place to start! popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter